Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

D Griff wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:04 pm
Tarspin wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:51 pm I should look at these cars (used and cheap obviously), they sound like they are right up my alley.
Yeah honestly based on what you've talked about, it would be a good fit. Fast and somewhat fun still, but more room and probably better reliability than your :gorf:
I assume we're still talking about the Stinger. They're also very well equipped for their price point, going off our experience with :tits: H
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Tarspin wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:51 pm I should look at these cars (used and cheap obviously), they sound like they are right up my alley.
That is not the case since covid. They are more now than they were new.
max225

Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

10k off is :impressive: , i wish that I hated my car more or actually needed to :plac: it. It would be hard to ignore the Stinger as a fantastic dad-mobile.

I found a new appreciation for my :gorf: recently, it rides so nice on normal sized wheels. :geek:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Tarspin wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:54 pm 10k off is :impressive: , i wish that I hated my car more or actually needed to :plac: it. It would be hard to ignore the Stinger as a fantastic dad-mobile.

I found a new appreciation for my :gorf: recently, it rides so nice on normal sized wheels. :geek:
Nah man, finding new love in your current car is winning. Congrats.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:31 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:58 pm
I think they're cool AF and sad to see they weren't successful enough to keep going. That said, nobody on here had one, soooooooo aside from :neat: it's not enough to vote with our wallets.
Yeah, I mean, I like it, but not enough to own one. It's too big for me, no :manuel: , etc.

I like it for someone else :lolol:

If I was really going to vote with my wallet for the sake of trying to keep a certain car/segment alive, it would probably be the new 86/BRZ, ND2, etc. Something that I would truly be sad to see gone and certainly a :manuel: as that is the number one dying thing that I hope stays a while.
I think about the new BRZ constantly. Makes no sense for me since I've given up on cars, but it's the last new thing that will ever be available like it. Seems unlikely that I'll ever need my own vehicle again, but if I did, it would be tough to resist.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:03 pm
Tarspin wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:54 pm 10k off is :impressive: , i wish that I hated my car more or actually needed to :plac: it. It would be hard to ignore the Stinger as a fantastic dad-mobile.

Thanks Chris, it is refreshing to find some of the love for sure. We just paid the T-reg note off this month and it's been a while since we've been able to bank cash away in a meaningful way so I really want to make both cars work for us for the next three or four years.

One of the benefits of paying extra for a nicer/more fun car is it's staying power. There's not much i could trade my car in for that offers me a better overall ownership experience, :gorf: doesn't win at any one thing but it also doesn't suck at anything either.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

:dat:

I like the Stinger and some other things for Mario but it seems like they don't really make much sense over the :gorf: unless it was falling apart or something.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:14 pm

I like the Stinger and some other things for Mario but it seems like they don't really make much sense over the :gorf: unless it was falling apart or something.
HerrBerlin
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: occasionally

Got to drive and ride in a 2021 Crosstrek Sport for ~200 miles this past weekend. Drove like a toaster which I'm not convinced is the worst thing in the world anymore. It road nicely and didn't feel underpowered. Steering felt dead, but it's nice knowing that you can take it soft roading as needed.

@detroit is right in that it's great for what it is. If I end up replacing the Hype R this is a definite candidate. I'd probably miss the power and it felt pretty cheap on the inside, but it would ultimately be a great car for what I need.

Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:14 pm

:dat: something drastic needs to happen to my car, I need it to work for me. There are currently open issues with the car, and I don't have money burning a hole in my pocket, so this all just hypothetical until further notice.

The extra trunk and back seat room would be nice, but it's no deal breaker.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: '23 Lightning + '23 BRZ

Detroit wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:06 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:31 pm

Yeah, I mean, I like it, but not enough to own one. It's too big for me, no :manuel: , etc.

I like it for someone else :lolol:

If I was really going to vote with my wallet for the sake of trying to keep a certain car/segment alive, it would probably be the new 86/BRZ, ND2, etc. Something that I would truly be sad to see gone and certainly a :manuel: as that is the number one dying thing that I hope stays a while.
I think about the new BRZ constantly. Makes no sense for me since I've given up on cars, but it's the last new thing that will ever be available like it. Seems unlikely that I'll ever need my own vehicle again, but if I did, it would be tough to resist.

The new BRZ/86 is kind of like the Lotus Emira in my mind. It will be the last of the gas powered, manual, true driver's cars. As much as I like the S2000, it seems like a good idea to get one of these while they exist to get in something 20+ years newer.
max225

HerrBerlin wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:27 pm Got to drive and ride in a 2021 Crosstrek Sport for ~200 miles this past weekend. Drove like a toaster which I'm not convinced is the worst thing in the world anymore. It road nicely and didn't feel underpowered. Steering felt dead, but it's nice knowing that you can take it soft roading as needed.

@detroit is right in that it's great for what it is. If I end up replacing the Hype R this is a definite candidate. I'd probably miss the power and it felt pretty cheap on the inside, but it would ultimately be a great car for what I need.

Did you drive this one with the horrendous tires?
ChrisoftheNorth

HerrBerlin wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:27 pm Got to drive and ride in a 2021 Crosstrek Sport for ~200 miles this past weekend. Drove like a toaster which I'm not convinced is the worst thing in the world anymore. It road nicely and didn't feel underpowered. Steering felt dead, but it's nice knowing that you can take it soft roading as needed.

Accurate assessment. For the price new, it's a really solid option. I like ours more every time I drive it.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:11 am

Did you drive this one with the horrendous tires?

I wonder how different it is from mine with stock 17's
ChrisoftheNorth

MrH42 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:16 am

The new BRZ/86 is kind of like the Lotus Emira in my mind. It will be the last of the gas powered, manual, true driver's cars. As much as I like the S2000, it seems like a good idea to get one of these while they exist to get in something 20+ years newer.
Not only is it the last of it's kind in purpose, it's also pretty much the last affordable new sports car. Seems like every new thing has an MSRP that starts with a 4 or higher, so only the rich can have fun now.

A clean stock new BRZ will be worth decent money in 20 years.
max225

Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:40 am

Not only is it the last of it's kind in purpose, it's also pretty much the last affordable new sports car. Seems like every new thing has an MSRP that starts with a 4 or higher, so only the rich can have fun now.

I really want to like that car … but something about it just doesn’t do it for me. The newest version seems :nice:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

An S2000 is sort of a bucket list car for me BUT it would have the same (OK maybe a bit less) 20 y.o. car problems as my Corvette and it's pretty tricky to get on track as an over 6' person with a 'vert. I sort of doubt I'll ever pull el trigger unless I'm rich one day and it's like a fourth car. BRZ checks all the boxes, new and reliable, fairly affordable, really fun on street AND track.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:00 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:40 am

I really want to like that car … but something about it just doesn’t do it for me. The newest version seems :nice:
Not expensive/exclusive enough when you're shopping Lotus and Tesla and whatnot. You're more like the majority of the buying public, which is why these cars don't exist anymore. Nobody wants cheap sports cars. I probably won't buy one realistically because it makes no sense for me. I should have a :truk: before a sports car.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:27 pm
Not expensive/exclusive enough when you're shopping Lotus and Tesla and whatnot. You're more like the majority of the buying public, which is why these cars don't exist anymore. Nobody wants cheap sports cars. I probably won't buy one realistically because it makes no sense for me. I should have a :truk: before a sports car.
I am really starting to get the wants for an Elise to be honest, but the BRZ is just so much more usable.
max225

My main issue is the demographic that owns it to be honest. They are always young dudes that absolutely destroy these cars with mods. I literally feel too old to have one.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:30 pm
My main issue is the demographic that owns it to be honest. They are always young dudes that absolutely destroy these cars with mods. I literally feel too old to have one.
You're more focused on that than I am. I think it makes a 100% stock one stand out more.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:30 pm
I am really starting to get the wants for an Elise to be honest, but the BRZ is just so much more usable.
Elise is amazing but really a one trick track pony. BRZ can do anything and do it pretty well. I liked the first gen, I bet the second gen will be damned near perfect.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Well you're too young for a Miata RF so what else you gonna do? 400z? Gonna be the same problem as the BRZ. EMBRACE THE BRO
max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:36 pm
Well you're too young for a Miata RF so what else you gonna do? 400z? Gonna be the same problem as the BRZ. EMBRACE THE BRO
Miata RF seems fine. Similar price point too…
M2 is Right up my alley but I just dont know if I want a “fun” car at the moment. Fun comes at the compromise of ride quality/road noise. And for some reason I care about that now… :wap:

Drove the mini 90 miles yesterday. It’s a good car. But it simply isn’t relaxing to drive.