Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:26 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:21 pm

I thought it was interesting that in the Emira the :manuel: is only available with the big engine option. That thing will be one of the last great ICE manual cars.
It's the way it should be. Toyota also offers the :manuel: in "enthusiast" spec Tacomas, not just the base. For ages the :manuel: was relegated to poverty machines, but the only people that want :manuel: now aren't doing it to save money, but to save fun.

Manuals cost more than automatics now because of scale and extra parts (consoles, shifters, pedal assemblys, etc, etc), they really should only be on the fun trims.
All excellent points other than the "poverty spec" Emira comes with a 360 hp AMG engine and DCT The 400 horse Toyota V6 gets a slush or manual.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:33 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:26 pm
It's the way it should be. Toyota also offers the :manuel: in "enthusiast" spec Tacomas, not just the base. For ages the :manuel: was relegated to poverty machines, but the only people that want :manuel: now aren't doing it to save money, but to save fun.

Manuals cost more than automatics now because of scale and extra parts (consoles, shifters, pedal assemblys, etc, etc), they really should only be on the fun trims.
All excellent points other than the "poverty spec" Emira comes with a 360 hp AMG engine and DCT The 400 horse Toyota V6 gets a slush or manual.
The poverty spec gets more HP? I haven't paid much attention to this thing, but I don't get why anyone wouldn't want the Toyota engine con :manuel: in this sort of car.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Desertbreh

Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:43 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:33 pm

The poverty spec gets more HP? I haven't paid much attention to this thing, but I don't get why anyone wouldn't want the Toyota engine con :manuel: in this sort of car.
POVERTY 360 HP DCT
NON POVERTY 400 HP, :manuel: available

The non poverty is the current Evora GT/400. You're buying the last ICE lotus. Getting it with auto, even DCT, is no bueno.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:46 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:43 pm
POVERTY 360 HP DCT

The non poverty is the current Evora GT/400. You're buying the last ICE lotus. Getting it with auto, even DCT, is no bueno.
Yeah you would have to be really fucking stupid to buy the DCT/auto in this thing, AND the turbo is a no-go. If you're going to pay for such a car, let it be the ICE swan song that the :manuel: V6 version is. I would wager that you could buy a manual Emira and it will never for one day be worth less than it's original MSRP.
Desertbreh

D Griff wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:52 pm

POVERTY 360 HP DCT

Yeah you would have to be really fucking stupid to buy the DCT/auto in this thing, AND the turbo is a no-go. If you're going to pay for such a car, let it be the ICE swan song that the :manuel: V6 version is. I would wager that you could buy a manual Emira and it will never for one day be worth less than it's original MSRP.
The thought is crossing my mind.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:57 pm

:evilplan:
:doit:
:popcorn:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I seriously want one and think it's well worth the money and a solid investment, but I can't really see :tits: being on board with a near- $100K car purchase, nor would it really be responsible unless things change quite a bit :lolol:

I am curious to see if having a sort of ultimate Lotus lowers pricing on other models. I could see buying an Elise for $30-40K or Evora for $40-50K if they're available. I would just want a house with a garage before pulling the trigger on something like that.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

They are already sold out for 2022 so you better think quicker than that
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

I'm sure the AMG 2.0L only exists at all for the markets with heavy heavy tax rates on cars with engines larger than 2.0L
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Also the :manuel: gets and exposed linkage
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

POVERTY 360 HP DCT

I’d absolutely buy the 360hp DCT.

Because I buy shit to drive, not to sell.

The whole :manuel: sacred cow thing is the same as the Florida fuckboi’s claiming that ABS, TC, etc “hold them back” on modern motorcycles.

A buddy of mine rides an older R6 at the track. He’d never experienced a quick shifter w/ an autoblipper. I let him take the KTM for a session and he’s was absolutely :mindblown: when he got back at how much it freed up his brain (and motorcycles are comparatively easy to shift). DCT (or performance focused auto) makes you quicker and safer and doesn’t take away from the experience in 99% of the driving scenarios.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
ChrisoftheNorth

4zilch wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:53 am

The whole :manuel: sacred cow thing is the same as the Florida fuckboi’s claiming that ABS, TC, etc “hold them back” on modern motorcycles.

A buddy of mine rides an older R6 at the track. He’d never experienced a quick shifter w/ an autoblipper. I let him take the KTM for a session and he’s was absolutely :mindblown: when he got back at how much it freed up his brain (and motorcycles are comparatively easy to shift). DCT (or performance focused auto) makes you quicker and safer and doesn’t take away from the experience in 99% of the driving scenarios.
:howdareu:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:47 am

:howdareu:
:dat: :wrong: :doe:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

:iono: agree to disagree. For ME, the auto/DCT would take away from basically every scenario other than track, where I would agree with you, I think I would rather have a DCT. Driving on the street where I live is very dull and the clutch/shifting are really the only enjoyable part of it.

So I would rather have the :manuel: and it will be worth a lot more down the line. I would say props to anyone who is :aintcare: about that and just gets stuff to enjoy and not bean count. I imagine both of these versions will be amazing, just comes down to preference.

I haven't driven the Mercedes turbo 4, most of the 2.0T motors I find to be pretty meh, but the Type R and FoRS were pretty cool.
max225

I would wager that most Evora/EXXXX owners don't track their cars. They are touring cars for driving pleasure. The fun rod is the way to go It seems in that case. I see the case for the DCT with a "broken knew and a wife unit" but that it.
Desertbreh

I will say that 360 hp out of two liters is hella bad ass.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:59 pm I will say that 360 hp out of two liters is hella bad ass.
I prefer that out of 6 liters @ the same weight of the engine with a real noise and real reliability.

Wouldn't touch anything with over 150hp per liter with a 10 foot pole
Desertbreh

max225 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:05 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:59 pm I will say that 360 hp out of two liters is hella bad ass.
I prefer that out of 6 liters @ the same weight of the engine with a real noise and real reliability.

More high strung than Paris Hilton on coke.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

It makes 415hp in the AMG 45 S.
Desertbreh

4zilch wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:09 pm
Seems like a lease!
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:07 pm

:iono: agree to disagree. For ME, the auto/DCT would take away from basically every scenario other than track, where I would agree with you, I think I would rather have a DCT. Driving on the street where I live is very dull and the clutch/shifting are really the only enjoyable part of it.

So I would rather have the :manuel: and it will be worth a lot more down the line. I would say props to anyone who is :aintcare: about that and just gets stuff to enjoy and not bean count. I imagine both of these versions will be amazing, just comes down to preference.

I haven't driven the Mercedes turbo 4, most of the 2.0T motors I find to be pretty meh, but the Type R and FoRS were pretty cool.
A :manuel: is moderately more engaging for on-ramps and off-ramps, I'll concede that point.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:09 pm
4zilch wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:09 pm

Seems like a lease!
Europe only.

We don't get the S so we're stuck with the 382hp version.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

I have driven AMG 2.0. It's a fun power plant. Enough lag to keep things interesting and a compelling exhaust note.
ChrisoftheNorth

Gotta agree. There's no way something that strung out is built to last that long, it just can't. So if a lease or money is no object, then sure it's kinda cool from a holy shit power from a tiny engine standpoint, but outside of that, meh.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:26 pm

Gotta agree. There's no way something that strung out is built to last that long, it just can't. So if a lease or money is no object, then sure it's kinda cool from a holy shit power from a tiny engine standpoint, but outside of that, meh.
I'm sure I'm :wrong: but I've spent a fair amount of time researching the AMG 2.0 when I was considering a GLA 45 AMG purchase, and honestly have had a hard time finding complaints of wide spread issues related to the powerplant. Perhaps it's related to lack of volume and/or miles, but it's not like these things are nuking a <100k miles are something.