Shopping in the worst car market ever...Summer 21 Plac Thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Apex wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:42 pm
fledonfoot wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:24 pm We traded a Supra on Saturday. I will bring it home tomorrow for a long drive. It’s a 2021 in red, with the power bump to 380ish hp, which is still underrated.

We own it for 46k. I can have it for 46,250. Market is still in the low 50s. I like the car, but I don’t know if I love it enough to buy it, and will probably just stick with the GR86.
I have a weird desire for a Supra… :excited:
Still quite rare here too, it ranks highly on the wants list for me.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:25 pm Max, go get a M2 CS before this abomination hits the market.

At least that purple is glorious.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

max225 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:24 pm Made my C8... 3LT

$85,115

Sky Cool Gray/­Strike Yellow, Napa leather seating surfaces with perforated inserts
$0
Full Length Dual Racing Stripe Package, Edge Orange
$995
Selected Pac
Z51 PERFORMANCE PACKAGE
$5,995
Front lift with memory
$1,995
19" front/­20" rear 5-trident-spoke machined-face Spectra Gray-painted aluminum wheels
$1,495
This is :tits:

How much more for the vert? I would usually prefer the targa roof but the vert looks soooo good with the roof down.
Huckleberry
Drives: 2004 GTO

max225 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:49 pm
Huckleberry wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:39 pm

Shelby GT350 - Rare V8, Tremec :manuel:, and 8200 RPM redline.
:notbad: how is that engine ? It was catching on fire before.
I know the internet has stories of oil consumption, but there are also plenty of stories of no issues, as well. If the stories bother you, you could always shoot for a new Mach 1, which is basically a GT350 with a 5.0L. Personally, if I were to buy a fun toy today, it would be a GT350, hands down.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Surprisingly I've only seen one Supra cruising around SD. They happen to live behind my gym and park in the alley back there.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

:whocares: but my car move has been moved up considerably. My wife wasn't planning to go back to the office until September, but she started going back part-time a couple weeks ago and we've already had a couple situations where it's been a pain not to have a car at home that can haul the kids. We have one teacher from the kids' school plus a mix of babysitters, and before she started going back sometimes we'd load up the kids and let them haul off to a bigger park nearby or something until lunchtime to get them out of the house and doing something different, but any day my wife is at the office now we can't do that.

I've stopped to check out a few used Odysseys but, to no one's surprise, they're universally beat to shit. Family cars, abused by kids, left for dead. Except they're not priced accordingly. I just can't justify paying 25-30k for something with 60k+ miles that's been totally cosmetically abused and probably maintained mechanically in a similar manner, when I could get a brand new one for 38-40. I'm sure there are some nice ones out there somewhere, but they're not close to me. That really only leaves me with new car options, in which case I'm leaning toward the Outback Touring XT. The door for the smaller bay is a measly 92" wide, and the Outback with mirrors folded is ~84", so 4" or so on each side, which is just enough to not feel like I'd have to tip-toe in and out every day. My wife and I are at an understanding that if we determine we just can't make the Atlas work anymore for the family, it'll be offed in favor of a new Odyssey and she'll take the Outback most of the time.

Falcone has a '21 in Autumn green that was supposed to be delivered awhile ago, but it's still showing as available in their system. My salesbro is attempting to let me know today what the status of that car is, but hopefully it's on its way and will be mine soon. I don't love them, I don't hate them, but when I weigh the options of what will actually fit all 3 car seats but still fit in the garage, it's the best I've come up with. :ohwell:
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

I like the outback. I’d get one if they had a hybrid.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:57 am I like the outback. I’d get one if they had a hybrid.
The seats are great, they ride really well, they're quiet and the stereo is good. I still think the CVT isn't as good as a traditional auto and all of the tech bullshit is totally lost on me, but overall it's a nice place to be. One could definitely do worse.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

coogles wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:37 am
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:57 am I like the outback. I’d get one if they had a hybrid.
The seats are great, they ride really well, they're quiet and the stereo is good. I still think the CVT isn't as good as a traditional auto and all of the tech bullshit is totally lost on me, but overall it's a nice place to be. One could definitely do worse.
The Crosstrek drives itself, and it does it exactly like I would. I hated the tech until I lived with it, it's excellent. Adaptive cruise is crazy natural and not jarring at all. Lane keep centers and steers great on pretty much any road, but it does get tripped up with dotted lines on 2 lane roads. But even better, when you turn off a system, it stays off until you turn it back on. I've had lane departure warning off since we took delivery 500 miles ago and it's stayed off.

The CVT is also surprisingly good. If you accelerate quickly, it "shifts" quickly with decent authority. Accelerate leisurely and it just goes without any drama, no shifting...which means easy driving is really smooth. It's the best of both worlds.

I've long hated both auto driving tech and CVTs. Subaru had really nailed both now, I'm a convert.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:41 pm I love the lotus the main issue is the insane 50k depreciation in 5-7 years.
One thing to note, as I understand it, Evoras are discounted like $20-30K+ when purchased new... so the depreciation might not be as bad as you think.

The other thing is that I've noticed the early base Evoras went from $40K 1.5 years ago to $60K now... so :iono: perhaps the right spec wouldn't be bad. Anything bought used right now will probably be a bath.
max225

D Griff wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:51 am
max225 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:41 pm I love the lotus the main issue is the insane 50k depreciation in 5-7 years.
One thing to note, as I understand it, Evoras are discounted like $20-30K+ when purchased new... so the depreciation might not be as bad as you think.

The other thing is that I've noticed the early base Evoras went from $40K 1.5 years ago to $60K now... so :iono: perhaps the right spec wouldn't be bad. Anything bought used right now will probably be a bath.
I still see a few evoras in the 40s and 50s with under 40k miles. I just don’t think they were ever “popular” cars just like minis.

I don’t think 10k a year in depreciation is an acceptable rate for me. At that point I can just rent exotics every other weekend. Not like this thing is every going to be a daily
max225

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal ... pe=listing

Here is one … but I saw quite a few others in that price range
ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:46 am Surprisingly I've only seen one Supra cruising around SD. They happen to live behind my gym and park in the alley back there.
I've seen one in the wild. Meh.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P

Sounds awesome to me. That plus a space pod on the roof and a hitch rack and it would be almost perfect. Just wish it had a hybrid option. I think I could street park one of those even, there are a ton of them in my hood.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:51 am The Crosstrek drives itself, and it does it exactly like I would. I hated the tech until I lived with it, it's excellent. Adaptive cruise is crazy natural and not jarring at all. Lane keep centers and steers great on pretty much any road, but it does get tripped up with dotted lines on 2 lane roads. But even better, when you turn off a system, it stays off until you turn it back on. I've had lane departure warning off since we took delivery 500 miles ago and it's stayed off.

The CVT is also surprisingly good. If you accelerate quickly, it "shifts" quickly with decent authority. Accelerate leisurely and it just goes without any drama, no shifting...which means easy driving is really smooth. It's the best of both worlds.

I've long hated both auto driving tech and CVTs. Subaru had really nailed both now, I'm a convert.
I didn't try out the adaptive cruise because Subaru is kind enough to still allow you to use standard cruise if you wish. Just hold down the "set" button for 3 seconds and voila, you have standard cruise control. VW's layers outlawed such reckless behavior. I'm fairly used to the adaptive cruise in my wife's car, but it's nice to know I'd have the option to not use it. I turned off the lane departure crap before leaving the lot and like you said, it stays off after an ignition cycle, which is also nice. BSM is fine, but the front assist actually went off on my test drive as someone was turning right up ahead of me and I guess it didn't think I was slowing down quickly enough. It beeped at me and applied the brake for a fraction of a second even though I wasn't going fast at all and still had several car lengths between me and the turning vehicle. I could see that getting annoying, or maybe I'll just be an idiot and cover the cameras somehow.

I'm so totally :eeyore: about this whole thing regardless of how it shakes out. I really don't want to sell the GTI, and I really don't want to be in a puked-in, cheerio-filled, battered piece of shit that still somehow costs $25k. I also don't want to spend $40k on an appliance I give zero fucks about when I have a $20k car that should cost $14k but I like quite a bit.
max225

Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:51 am

The Crosstrek drives itself, and it does it exactly like I would. I hated the tech until I lived with it, it's excellent. Adaptive cruise is crazy natural and not jarring at all. Lane keep centers and steers great on pretty much any road, but it does get tripped up with dotted lines on 2 lane roads. But even better, when you turn off a system, it stays off until you turn it back on. I've had lane departure warning off since we took delivery 500 miles ago and it's stayed off.

:howdareyou: it is THROWAY TECH THE CAR CAN"T FUNCTION WITH IT. ALSO GIVE ME CARBURETORS BACK. FUCK COMPUTERS.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: '23 Lightning + '23 BRZ

As an Outback owner, agreed. If you're seriously looking though, highly recommend a Limited XT over a Touring XT. The Touring really provided me nothing I wanted. Sounds like you might need power folding mirror though? Might be able to add that after the fact.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

MrH42 wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:02 pm As an Outback owner, agreed. If you're seriously looking though, highly recommend a Limited XT over a Touring XT. The Touring really provided me nothing I wanted. Sounds like you might need power folding mirror though? Might be able to add that after the fact.
If I want it to fit in the garage without having to get out and push the mirrors in each time, then yep, I need the power folding mirrors. Otherwise I'm with you, I'd get the Limited. The java leather is nice too, though.
ChrisoftheNorth

coogles wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:58 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:51 am The Crosstrek drives itself, and it does it exactly like I would. I hated the tech until I lived with it, it's excellent. Adaptive cruise is crazy natural and not jarring at all. Lane keep centers and steers great on pretty much any road, but it does get tripped up with dotted lines on 2 lane roads. But even better, when you turn off a system, it stays off until you turn it back on. I've had lane departure warning off since we took delivery 500 miles ago and it's stayed off.

I didn't try out the adaptive cruise because Subaru is kind enough to still allow you to use standard cruise if you wish. Just hold down the "set" button for 3 seconds and voila, you have standard cruise control. VW's layers outlawed such reckless behavior. I'm fairly used to the adaptive cruise in my wife's car, but it's nice to know I'd have the option to not use it. I turned off the lane departure crap before leaving the lot and like you said, it stays off after an ignition cycle, which is also nice. BSM is fine, but the front assist actually went off on my test drive as someone was turning right up ahead of me and I guess it didn't think I was slowing down quickly enough. It beeped at me and applied the brake for a fraction of a second even though I wasn't going fast at all and still had several car lengths between me and the turning vehicle. I could see that getting annoying, or maybe I'll just be an idiot and cover the cameras somehow.

I'm so totally :eeyore: about this whole thing regardless of how it shakes out. I really don't want to sell the GTI, and I really don't want to be in a puked-in, cheerio-filled, battered piece of shit that still somehow costs $25k. I also don't want to spend $40k on an appliance I give zero fucks about when I have a $20k car that should cost $14k but I like quite a bit.
Adaptive cruise execution varies WIDELY from OEM to OEM. The FCA products I've driven are horrible, same with GM products. The Subaru system has blown me away with how smart and natural it is in execution. I like being able to turn it off, but damn...i just don't want to. I've driven through some really unpredictable environments with it, and it just works.

I have limited exposure to other OEM systems, so Subaru may suck compared to others, but I'm really impressed with it, especially as someone that swore off the tech.
Johnny_P

I like that new 2 series aside from the tail lights. Otherwise it looks pretty good with nice boxed wheel flares, a better front end, and better side profile.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:13 pm

Adaptive cruise execution varies WIDELY from OEM to OEM. The FCA products I've driven are horrible, same with GM products. The Subaru system has blown me away with how smart and natural it is in execution. I like being able to turn it off, but damn...i just don't want to. I've driven through some really unpredictable environments with it, and it just works.

I have limited exposure to other OEM systems, so Subaru may suck compared to others, but I'm really impressed with it, especially as someone that swore off the tech.
I'm in the same boat with the system in our H as I've never tried another car's, but I really like it, too. It seamlessly slows down behind a slower car and quickly and briskly accelerates when the lane opens up again. You can also adjust the number of car lenghts it'll follow another car and how fast it'll accelerate, or you can turn it off entirely. :notbad:
I'm a fan.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:13 pm

No the Subaru system is very good, and while Zil and I may have sounded negative when we talked about keeping the window clean I do think it's a worthy trade off for how well it works. How's the stereo? Subarus used to suck, but the option H/K system is good, and now they sell Rockford Fosgate upgrades for the base system as well. You may not really care much but I love jamming out during my derpage
max225

Random thought... I wonder now that everyone is "going back to work" and getting cars etc... Soon enough that demand will get fulfilled, even at the crazy high prices. Yet... Manufacturers will chomp out an insane amount of vehicles once the "chips" are back.

And they will flood the market which is now saturated with vehicles, and people loaded up with payments they can't afford etc... depressing trade values... and it will turn into a fking perfect storm, as interest rates will likely rise a bit also.

I will probably not unload my vehicles because the mini is worthless and the Taco... well it is worth something but I have nothing to replace it with. Not worth bothering with.

But I would seriously not consider buying anything in the next 6-12 months unless you absolutely HAVE TO.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

max225 wrote:https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal ... pe=listing

Here is one … but I saw quite a few others in that price range
The 400 at $70-80k is a screaming deal in comparison. Still, I love the idea of a base Evora personally. You'd hate it with no turbro torx.