Shopping in the worst car market ever...Summer 21 Plac Thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Well, :hibachi: time.

I might need to leave the forum after posting this:

I dragged the wife down to the Subaru dealer to just sit in an Outback and Crosstrek. We liked the Outback, but the only Crosstrek they had on the lot was a Sport, which gets the 2.5 and some really :neat: interior design with gray/black mix vinyl and yellow/gold stitching. I fit surprisingly great inside it, we found the interior space to be comparable to the mini in terms of headroom and overall space, the cargo space was probably bigger. This is remarkable because the MINI blew me away with space. The seats are less bolstered than the mini, but still supportive and probably more comfortable on longer drives.

I didn't anticipate driving it, but the :dillerman: was cool AF and tossed us the keys while we were looking at it. The thing really surprised me. The 2.5 has balls. The gearing is pretty good so it's pretty quick off the line, though it does get a bit winded so it's not exactly what I'm looking for with passing power, but it's solidly decent and very livable. I can't imagine the 2.0 being even livable. The transmission is pretty decent too, incredibly. For a CVT, it fakes "gears" really well. "Downshifts" eagerly, snappy "upshifts" solidly :notbad: Even the paddle shifters are pretty responsive. Steering is direct and sharp, and it handled pretty decent for a jacked up Impreza. I was really surprised by it overall.

It doesn't have a sunroof, which I think helps boost headroom, and it doesn't have the upgraded radio. The standard 6.5" radio is pretty nice, really high resolution (especially for the size) and has Android Auto that I was going to have to give up with the MINI. But it does have the auto dimming side mirror option, which I actually value more than pretty much any other option on something like this with big trucks common everywhere now.

Hardest thing is this: $30k OTD for a brand new vehicle with brand warranty and a :dillerman: to service it 15 minutes from my house. Do I love it? No...but I like it a lot. It's a bunch of small things that add up to a pretty neat thing overall. It seems like a much smarter move overall, and I can just be done with all this shit. In theory, it should hold its value better than the MINI, the wife loves it.

https://www.hodgessubaru.com/new/Subaru ... 13f80e.htm

There's a high likelihood that we'll buy it tonight. If I do, I'll just quit the car section of the forum, I assume I'll be banned anyway.

:hibachi: :pouroneout: :derp: :dealwithit:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

:doomed:
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

No biggie, but you WILL have to get the obligatory :doge: now :doe: and name her "love" or some other such shit....

Seriously though..... you are a legacy with the Vette and the two :jeep: ..... No one is banning you for going the practical route to appease :tits: .... there comes a time when were all cucked to one extent or another....

:trollface:
Last edited by Irish on Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

:plac: is back, baby.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Does it have the built in nav? My mom has a loaded Impreza with the big screen, and the Garmin based nav easily outclasses Google maps in rural and urban environments IMO. It has dirt roads and trail heads mapped as well as little tiny county roads in the middle of nowhere that Google lacks, and the buildings/structures are 3d modeled just as they look in real life so finding places in a city is very easy. Also the H/K stereo is very good. It might be worth sitting in one with those features to see if they would improve your ownership experience.

Also since eyesight is camera based it probably won't work for most of the winter unless you keep the windshield clear all the time. My mom lives in Florida and still gets warnings that it won't work because the windshield is dirty or it's raining too hard etc. When it works it's fantastic though
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

The current Impreza has plenty of room inside. They’re decent cars. Nice to hear the power is OK with the 2.5. Foresters I’ve driven with that motor have always felt quick off the line, and I never hated the CVTs.

Seat cushions are kind of short so keep that in mind. Linebackers may have an issue on long drives, i sometimes did. And the base audio quality is generally really bad. Not sure if this sport trim gets upgraded speakers.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Big radio comes with sunroof, I don't want sunroof for headroom. Also don't really care about that stuff and audio... the HK system people love in the MINI sounded bland to me anyway. Deposit down, picking it up tomorrow.

I legit like it. Makes me a cuck, fuck it. /thread
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:57 pm Well, :hibachi: time.

I dragged the wife down to the Subaru dealer to just sit in an Outback and Crosstrek. We liked the Outback, but the only Crosstrek they had on the lot was a Sport, which gets the 2.5 and some really :neat: interior design with gray/black mix vinyl and yellow/gold stitching. I fit surprisingly great inside it, we found the interior space to be comparable to the mini in terms of headroom and overall space, the cargo space was probably bigger. This is remarkable because the MINI blew me away with space. The seats are less bolstered than the mini, but still supportive and probably more comfortable on longer drives.

I didn't anticipate driving it, but the :dillerman: was cool AF and tossed us the keys while we were looking at it. The thing really surprised me. The 2.5 has balls. The gearing is pretty good so it's pretty quick off the line, though it does get a bit winded so it's not exactly what I'm looking for with passing power, but it's solidly decent and very livable. I can't imagine the 2.0 being even livable. The transmission is pretty decent too, incredibly. For a CVT, it fakes "gears" really well. "Downshifts" eagerly, snappy "upshifts" solidly :notbad: Even the paddle shifters are pretty responsive. Steering is direct and sharp, and it handled pretty decent for a jacked up Impreza. I was really surprised by it overall.

It doesn't have a sunroof, which I think helps boost headroom, and it doesn't have the upgraded radio. The standard 6.5" radio is pretty nice, really high resolution (especially for the size) and has Android Auto that I was going to have to give up with the MINI. But it does have the auto dimming side mirror option, which I actually value more than pretty much any other option on something like this with big trucks common everywhere now.

Hardest thing is this: $30k OTD for a brand new vehicle with brand warranty and a :dillerman: to service it 15 minutes from my house. Do I love it? No...but I like it a lot. It's a bunch of small things that add up to a pretty neat thing overall. It seems like a much smarter move overall, and I can just be done with all this shit. In theory, it should hold its value better than the MINI, the wife loves it.

There's a high likelihood that we'll buy it tonight. If I do, I'll just quit the car section of the forum, I assume I'll be banned anyway.

Yea after all the shit I got by not talking down on the cross tranny you better get ready... I don't mind them, especially the new gen is quite decent and it is a good size for 4 people. And for under 30k you get everything you need and nothing you don't.

I was mentioning the dealer/service stuff to you for a reason. Your location is making servicing pain in the ass for some other brands. Last thing you want is 3 hrs for a :dillerman: trip. That said. I think this decision makes sense.

This car will be gone in 18-24 months and it would have barely depreciated by then, and given you exactly 0 headaches.

I wouldn't be swayed by the autonomous/safety comments either. I had 0 issues on my yoda. And the only time in 10k miles it gave me a warning it was deserved. So overall it helps with :derp: y situations and may save you a fender [user not found].

Curious about the final outcome here.
Johnny_P

Bring on the driver aids. I want to feel nothing. Cart me across the poverty wasteland stop sign hell of south Philadelphia in pure bliss to / from doggy day care.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:05 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:57 pm

Yea after all the shit I got by not talking down on the cross tranny you better get ready... I don't mind them, especially the new gen is quite decent and it is a good size for 4 people. And for under 30k you get everything you need and nothing you don't.

I was mentioning the dealer/service stuff to you for a reason. Your location is making servicing pain in the ass for some other brands. Last thing you want is 3 hrs for a :dillerman: trip. That said. I think this decision makes sense.

This car will be gone in 18-24 months and it would have barely depreciated by then, and given you exactly 0 headaches.

I wouldn't be swayed by the autonomous/safety comments either. I had 0 issues on my yoda. And the only time in 10k miles it gave me a warning it was deserved. So overall it helps with :derp: y situations and may save you a fender [user not found].

Curious about the final outcome here.
You also don't live in an area with snow and ice. :smrt:

Crosstrek is the right answer for now. I just hate autonomous safety nannies making noise/errors/lights/etc.
The last Hyundai I rented basically drove itself on the highway. It was awesome.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:20 pm
[user not found] wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:05 pm

You also don't live in an area with snow and ice. :smrt:

Crosstrek is the right answer for now. I just hate autonomous safety nannies making noise/errors/lights/etc.
The last Hyundai I rented basically drove itself on the highway. It was awesome.
The problem with Eyesight Zil and I mentioned is the camera is mounted inside the car. The windshield gets dirty, foggy, too wet etc and it won't work and flashes warnings. I agree though that shit is nice when it works properly, and the H/K stuff is world class.
Irish

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:19 pm Bring on the driver aids. I want to feel nothing. Cart me across the poverty wasteland stop sign hell of south Philadelphia in pure bliss to / from doggy day care.
:lol: :amaze:
max225

:hibachi:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:17 pm
Tarspin wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:58 am

Can you get a deal on another :jeep: ? She liked the last one that she had, and I believe you got back the majority of what you paid out. Any employee deals to be had on a purchased vehicle? There's nothing at all wrong with what you're looking at, but the reality is that you'll likely transition from one job to another seamlessly IMO. Also, it's easier to buy a vehicle then it is to sell one, why rush anything? If you were without a car somehow, you could have one delivered to your front door, or drive down a country road (in a rental LOL) and pick up the first functional used farm truck at will.
I don't want another :jeep: If I did, we wouldn't have sold the last one. I really want something different that's more comfortable to take people around in (we get constant visitors), and more fuel efficient and easy to drive on loner highway stints. Bonus if it's fun and a bit unique.

When I quit my job, my current vehicle goes back. Unless I want to buy it, which I REALLY don't. It's pretty hard to buy things right now, even billy bob missing tooth farmer knows that used trucks are insane and rusted hulks are listing at $5k+ I KNOw WhaT I hAVe! :triggered: :nope:

I'm just trying to not be under the gun. I'm not going to rush into anything, which is why I'm starting my search now. The Countryman is just the best vehicle I've encountered for what I want, and this one is pretty rare con :manuel: and it looks brand new with a spotless service history, so it requires some specific consideration.

I'll very likely walk due to the price, so we'll see where I land. At least I know I like these things a lot, so I can keep an eye out for better :dill: and pull the trigger when one comes up. Vroom has a number of automatics same year and mileage in the mid-$20k range. If this thing were in that ballpark, I'd go buy it now. :dillerman: ain't coming down 3-4k like I think it should be priced at. :manuel: is rare because people don't want them. I shouldn't pay a premium for it because I'll be raked over the coals when I go to sell it. I'd lose my ass on this thing in a few years if I pay $30k for it now.
I honestly don't think it is practical commuting in a Jeep either, just thought buying another one on corporate deal might get you another two years of driving with little to no depreciation. Not wanting one is the bigger factor, that's more then fair reason. They are a handful on long journeys, too bad because I really want one, especially when I'm in Grand Bend for a few days and the weather is nice. 😎

If I were shopping the small SUV market right now I'd probably buy a Hybrid Rav4, they have a nice package with a black or white roof that's decent looking... or the Adventure with a two tone roof, and some cool interior bits. Short term, the car doesn't depreciate, and it is ridiculously fuel efficient. The purchase price on either of those two packages is the biggest deterrent :doe: , I don't think they are worth that outlay; What is really?
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:19 pm Bring on the driver aids. I want to feel nothing. Cart me across the poverty wasteland stop sign hell of south Philadelphia in pure bliss to / from doggy day care.
:mahman:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Johnny_P

Does dplac have dog love in the driveway or what?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:57 pm Well, :hibachi: time.

:bruh: No banning.

It is what it is. I cucked out a bit with the BMW purchase and am now all :sad: that the stupid :poorvette: is going away. I 100% bought a car that I didn't really want all that much because my wife "wouldn't let me" spend $40K+. Reflecting on it, the more practical car fits my needs a bit better - road trips, :doge: hiking outings, bicycle transport, etc. I'm not super stoked but the car does work really well for what I need.

The Crosstrek isn't exactly my cup of tea, but I did mention that during our cross country trip, I sort of longed for a CT ( :lolol: CT 2.0) multiple times. It can do the "off roading" we do most likely, and it's a much better driving/more efficient vehicle than a Beep Beep, just less "cool".

There is a reason everyone drives these, they are very effective transportation.

:lolol: at the 2.5 having :balls: ... Everything after the huge :truk: with 3.6 is straight :massles:

:iono: if the shoe fits, wear it. Not every chapter of life will involve our dream cars. Some will. Hopefully this wins you some brownie points with :tits: and you can pursue other fun stuff.

It's a :notbad: outcome.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

A part of me wants to :trollface: and ask if you've turned into a lesbian, I too will be making sacrifices on my next go around. I'm going to need a bigger and more fuel efficient vehicle, and cars like teh Camry come up on my short list. :facepalm:

The CT2 is a decent appliance.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Tarspin wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:02 am A part of me wants to :trollface: and ask if you've turned into a lesbian, I too will be making sacrifices on my next go around. I'm going to need a bigger and more fuel efficient vehicle, and cars like teh Camry come up on my short list. :facepalm:

The question is... what does CT officially stand for now?

Cuck Tranny?

Cuck Trek?

Cuck truckette?

Cross Trek?
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:09 am
Tarspin wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:02 am A part of me wants to :trollface: and ask if you've turned into a lesbian, I too will be making sacrifices on my next go around. I'm going to need a bigger and more fuel efficient vehicle, and cars like teh Camry come up on my short list. :facepalm:

Cuck Tranny?

Cuck Trek?

Cuck truckette?

Cross Trek?
Cuck Transporter?
Irish

Cuck Transsexual

We could just call it RH

Oh, behave....
max225

Did he :doit:
Did a dolphin fall on the finance manager ?
Apex

Cuck Tranny?

Cuck Trek?

Cuck truckette?

Cross Trek?
Cauterized Testicles.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Apex wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:09 am

Cuck Tranny?

Cuck Trek?

Cuck truckette?

Cross Trek?
Cauterized Testicles.
:hai:
Apex

Tarspin wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:18 am
Apex wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:09 am