Dem bicicletas dos, doe.

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Desertbreh wrote:Noob question. Let's say you air up your tires and ride like a short commute...........3-5 miles. Before riding the next day do all of you guys air up again to ride at max performance pressure bro?
My current tubeless :stig: stuff loses about 10% of its pressure per day so I do pump them up every day.

My vintage regular :fatty: tires and tubes it was more like once a week that they'd be down enough to notice.
troyguitar

D Griff wrote::iono: Carbon is better, the acceleration difference is :mindblown:
I couldn't tell much (any) acceleration difference from changing frames the first time - only going to lighter wheels+tires and lower rolling resistance tires was a big enough change for me to notice. We'll see how it goes this time.

You're twice as strong as me :doe: if not more, so it makes sense that you'd benefit more from additional rigidity.

It won't quite be a fair initial comparison because I'm going to try the :scrooge: tubed conti ultra sports once to satisfy my own curiosity. 2 tires and tubes were $58 total.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

troyguitar wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:45 pm
D Griff wrote::iono: Carbon is better, the acceleration difference is :mindblown:
I couldn't tell much (any) acceleration difference from changing frames the first time - only going to lighter wheels+tires and lower rolling resistance tires was a big enough change for me to notice. We'll see how it goes this time.

You're twice as strong as me :doe: if not more, so it makes sense that you'd benefit more from additional rigidity.

It won't quite be a fair initial comparison because I'm going to try the :scrooge: tubed conti ultra sports once to satisfy my own curiosity. 2 tires and tubes were $58 total.
I also haven't ridden an aluminum road bike ever other than on an indoor trainer... so I am somewhat talking out my ass. But man, coming off of a light on my two bikes is completely different, and out of the gate I seem to just put 5 bike lengths on everyone on my carbon bike. I guess the weight obviously comes in to play as well, but it is a major "feel" thing where you can just tell way more power is transmitting through the pedals to the wheel.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:17 pm Noob question. Let's say you air up your tires and ride like a short commute...........3-5 miles. Before riding the next day do all of you guys air up again to ride at max performance pressure bro?
Nah, for me it is about once a week, or if the temperature changes dramatically.

I still have tubes in my bikes like a poor though.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

[user not found] wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:38 pm I check pressure before every ride. Performance is critical. :stig:
I do too, but only because I ride my MTB like 3x per year and the tires are almost completely flat after sitting for months. :disappoint:

That TPC offer, tho...it's gone up $700 since the fall. I think I'm actually going to have to take advantage of it this time.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

[user not found] wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:40 pm
Apex wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:43 am

Beefier hubs to accommodate my beefier riding. :lol:
:meat:

Fair point. You've blown up your current jawns?
Not fully, but they are making some interesting noises under braking now.
Stock hubs are not fans of getting airborne with a 225 rider sending it. :lol:
Apex
Drives: Abominable

[user not found] wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:43 pm
coogles wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:41 pm

I do too, but only because I ride my MTB like 3x per year and the tires are almost completely flat after sitting for months. :disappoint:

That TPC offer, tho...it's gone up $700 since the fall. I think I'm actually going to have to take advantage of it this time.
TPC?
TheProsCloset
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:43 pm
coogles wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:41 pm

TPC?
The Pro's Closet. My last cash offer from the fall was ~$1,500, now it's up over $2,200. I think it's time to bid the Trance adieu.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:38 pm I check pressure before every ride. Performance is critical. :stig:
I expected no less.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
troyguitar

coogles wrote:
[user not found] wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:43 pm TPC?
The Pro's Closet. My last cash offer from the fall was ~$1,500, now it's up over $2,200. I think it's time to bid the Trance adieu.
:impressive:

I just submitted my bike for :science: and they offered $2310 cash. Dunno how much they take away for shipping or whatever :doe:

That's exactly what I paid for it, guess I could ask more to sell it myself...
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:08 pm
coogles wrote:
:impressive:

I just submitted my bike for :science: and they offered $2310 cash. Dunno how much they take away for shipping or whatever :doe:

You have to box it yourself or pay to have that done, but they give you a prepaid shipping label. :like:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:23 pm
troyguitar wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:08 pm :impressive:

You have to box it yourself or pay to have that done, but they give you a prepaid shipping label. :like:
Hmmm I could sell the Orbea :lolol:

But then I would have to find a new MTB... so nah. I will probably just keep the Orbea to the 10 year mark. Hopefully in 2026 the craziness will be over and I can actually test ride some :boxodicks:
troyguitar

coogles wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:08 pm :impressive:

:notbad:

I still have the box my bike was shipped in because I have been too lazy (or smart?) to recycle it.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

While on this subject... anyone ever flown with a bike?
troyguitar

D Griff wrote:While on this subject... anyone ever flown with a bike?
No, how would that even work?

Man, I am stupidly excited to get this :scrooge: bike on Monday. No idea why, my bike is fucking cool. :fullretard:
09vdubgti
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: Forester

[user not found] wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:13 pm
09vdubgti wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:11 pm

Hey thanks, yea trails basically nothing really too tough yet. And maybe just coast up and down the shore bike paths.
I've got a lead on a Trek Marlin 8, brand new, sold at a friend's shop for $1200.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bike ... 8/p/34649/

Apparently they got a shipment in and might have a few left. What's your height/inseam?
I'll need a medium frame, 5'8"
troyguitar

09vdubgti wrote:
[user not found] wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:13 pm

I've got a lead on a Trek Marlin 8, brand new, sold at a friend's shop for $1200.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bike ... 8/p/34649/

Apparently they got a shipment in and might have a few left. What's your height/inseam?
I'll need a medium frame, 5'8"
Holy shit I'm not the shortest person on the forum!

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:13 am
troyguitar wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:01 pm No, how would that even work?

Man, I am stupidly excited to get this :scrooge: bike on Monday. No idea why, my bike is fucking cool. :fullretard:
Because new bike day is the best day.
:dat: also taking something old and left behind and breathing new life into it is fun.

I am actually starting to map out a Raleigh Restomod project.

@Troy when you were looking into 1X setups for old steel bikes did you find any useful articles/videos? I have a line on some 105 wheels, think I’m going to convert to those in 700c and would like to do a 1x10 with used 105 setup in the back but I’m not sure what I would need at the crank.
troyguitar

D Griff wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:59 am
[user not found] wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:13 am

Because new bike day is the best day.
:dat: also taking something old and left behind and breathing new life into it is fun.

I am actually starting to map out a Raleigh Restomod project.

@Troy when you were looking into 1X setups for old steel bikes did you find any useful articles/videos? I have a line on some 105 wheels, think I’m going to convert to those in 700c and would like to do a 1x10 with used 105 setup in the back but I’m not sure what I would need at the crank.
You want a narrow-wide chainring and with your strength you probably want it to have 50-53 teeth which could be a pain to find off the shelf. The easiest option is something like this plus a new BB to match the GXP spindle:

https://planetcyclery.com/sram-rival-1- ... face-black

The cheapest option is probably to find an old ass triple crank, remove all 3 stock chain rings, and install an aftermarket 50T in the middle position. Kind of a PITA and you'll still spend around $100 anyway, I'd just buy the SRAM :waxer: part and do it right.
troyguitar

Oh, also make sure that you have clearance for a big chainring to sit further inboard without hitting your chainstay... if not, you'll have to make some compromises/choices playing with spacers and whatnot.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:59 am
troyguitar wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:53 am

You want a narrow-wide chainring and with your strength you probably want it to have 50-53 teeth which could be a pain to find off the shelf. The easiest option is something like this plus a new BB to match the GXP spindle:

https://planetcyclery.com/sram-rival-1- ... face-black

The cheapest option is probably to find an old ass triple crank, remove all 3 stock chain rings, and install an aftermarket 50T in the middle position. Kind of a PITA and you'll still spend around $100 anyway, I'd just buy the SRAM :waxer: part and do it right.
He may not need a narrow-wide if it's just going to be a road-only steed. Could probably go with a clutched RD and be fine, either GRX or Ultegra RX.

Narrow wide is what I'd recommend for gravel/dirt stuff, 100% though.
Maybe not necessary but they exist for not much premium so I'd lean toward sticking with the narrow-wide. I like never thinking about chains no matter what.

105/ultegra 10-speed shifters (5700/6700) can use (10 speed or less) MTB rear derailleurs too. Last I knew they still made the XT 10-speed 11-36 cassette which would be a nice piece with a used 8/9/10-speed MTB derailleur.

The other shifter/derailleur option is Tiagra 4700 or GRX 10-speed shifter with the GRX or Ultegra RX derailleurs like you mentioned, or really even a plain old R7000-GS. Lots of options.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:00 am Oh, also make sure that you have clearance for a big chainring to sit further inboard without hitting your chainstay... if not, you'll have to make some compromises/choices playing with spacers and whatnot.
:dat:

You'll probably be playing with spacers anyway to get the chainline where you need it to be.
Now that I think about it, a 1x MTB crank and BB might be a better start since you'll have more spacers to play with and the cranks are more common. I don't know if anyone makes big enough chainrings for them :doe:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Super helpful place to start, thanks y'all! FWIW I think this would mostly be for road use but I'd like the option to have a gravel wheelset for it should that ever become a thing I want to do. I will also probably do some sidewalk hopping and whatnot as it would be for commuting/brewery hopping.

Funny enough I am actually about to order an XT 11-36 cassette for the Orbea, maybe I'll just throw two in the cart :lolol:

Other random questions... anyone use Teravail Honcho MTB :225: s? I'm also going to go t00bless I think, trying it out on the MTB first and then maybe will jump over on the Ribble too. What is the goop of choice? It seems MucOff/Orange may be better than Stans according to the internet.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:29 am
[user not found] wrote:
:dat:

You'll probably be playing with spacers anyway to get the chainline where you need it to be.
Now that I think about it, a 1x MTB crank and BB might be a better start since you'll have more spacers to play with and the cranks are more common. I don't know if anyone makes big enough chainrings for them :doe:
I admittedly haven't looked that hard but I was thinking that they would be too tiny.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

troyguitar wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:01 pm
D Griff wrote:While on this subject... anyone ever flown with a bike?
No, how would that even work?

Because NBD is always a good day.