Dem bicicletas dos, doe.

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

D Griff wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:30 pm Oh man, I might have found a winner:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 887430004/

Depends on what the guy thinks is a reasonable offer, but that thing is about right for me and I have to drive out near there for my vaccine anyway. Best I can tell it's a 2016 Trek Lexa base model. Aluminum frame, carbon fork, endurance geometry, rack/fender mounts, 8-speed Claris, clearance for 28mm tires or 25 with fenders, in metallic purple... :notbad:
:notbad: :doit:
Done, $150, picking up on Monday. Gotta find a random cheap rear wheel somewhere and I have an 8 speed cassette on the shelf already. Ain't no :mahtroy: stealing a bright purple little Claris-equipped POS? Hopefully.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

troyguitar wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:45 pm
D Griff wrote:
Done, $150, picking up on Monday. Gotta find a random cheap rear wheel somewhere and I have an 8 speed cassette on the shelf already. Ain't no :mahtroy: stealing a bright purple little Claris-equipped POS? Hopefully.
Velomine or The Pro’s Closet.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

[user not found] wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:35 pm
fledonfoot wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:54 pm Got an email from the bike shop I ordered the Ripmo from. They can’t guarantee me a bike with the Fox suspension or the XT drivetrain and ibis will deliver the bike with whatever they can get a complete bike together with... including the possibility of a mix of Fox fork and DVO shock, DVO suspension, and a mix of drivetrain, brakes and other components. Pricing will be based on how the final build comes in.

If I’m not happy with that, they’re willing to just sell me the frameset, but that will come with the DVO shock.

Going to hope it comes in as ordered, but will probably pass if it’s a mix of parts.
:notsure:

Man, not the time to be ordering a bike right now.
We’ll see what shows up in June. Otherwise I’ll just stick with the Occam, seeing as I only have 10 minutes on that thing since I built it.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

troyguitar wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:45 pm
D Griff wrote:
Cable lock seems to be a sufficient deterrent for my yuge 80s English Turd.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Repost for feedback from the pros... should I just get this: https://www.parktool.com/product/derail ... ge-dag-2-2 Park Tool derailleur alignment tool? It's kinda spendy but Park Tool always is excellent so I'm thinking fuck it unless there's a simple/near free way.
rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Cheapo mtb tuned and ready to rideImage
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

rockchops wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:32 pm Cheapo mtb tuned and ready to rideImage
:doit:
troyguitar

D Griff wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:45 pm Done, $150, picking up on Monday. Gotta find a random cheap rear wheel somewhere and I have an 8 speed cassette on the shelf already. Ain't no :mahtroy: stealing a bright purple little Claris-equipped POS? Hopefully.
:word:

I'm actually super excited to try the :scrooge: bike. It is going to need tires, the big debate is between the cheapo ultra sport tires and the :waxer: gp5000. I like the challenge of putting together something that's really good for a fraction of the cost of actual good stuff.
09vdubgti
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: Forester

Hey guys!

So I have been wanting to get myself a bike for a while, and now with the weather warming up, deff want to get outside. Only issue is, the lack of bike availability.

Im not too sure on the technical aspect when it comes to bikes. However did see this one and seems pretty good, has air fork suspension which I heard was a plus.

https://www.rei.com/product/159856/co-o ... rt-21-bike

any thoughts on this? Also open to any suggestions, 1399 would also be my top budget if that helps.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

I may need to :troywax: on a fresh pair of shoes this year.
I kinda want a fresh wheelset too. #yolo
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Apex wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:20 pm I may need to :troywax: on a fresh pair of shoes this year.
Do you clip in or ride flat pedals?

I don’t think I’d like clipping in on my MTB but definitely would like to try the dedicated shoes at some point.

I need to get my shifting/chain worked out and get some fresh rubber for starters. What wheel set are you looking at?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

09vdubgti wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:03 pm Hey guys!

So I have been wanting to get myself a bike for a while, and now with the weather warming up, deff want to get outside. Only issue is, the lack of bike availability.

Im not too sure on the technical aspect when it comes to bikes. However did see this one and seems pretty good, has air fork suspension which I heard was a plus.

any thoughts on this? Also open to any suggestions, 1399 would also be my top budget if that helps.
That looks like a pretty nice setup to me. My bike is in that price category but a 2016 and still treating me pretty well, but :jelly: of the more modern features. If you can actually get one in stock I’d go for it as inventory is rare.

What kind of riding do you plan to do? That really determines what the best bike is? But for trails that thing would work nicely.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:53 pm
D Griff wrote:
:word:

I'm actually super excited to try the :scrooge: bike. It is going to need tires, the big debate is between the cheapo ultra sport tires and the :waxer: gp5000. I like the challenge of putting together something that's really good for a fraction of the cost of actual good stuff.
:fuckyeah: I do kinda think tires are worth :troywax: for, I’ve always considered them most important when it comes to cars.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:29 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:57 pm Repost for feedback from the pros... should I just get this: https://www.parktool.com/product/derail ... ge-dag-2-2 Park Tool derailleur alignment tool? It's kinda spendy but Park Tool always is excellent so I'm thinking fuck it unless there's a simple/near free way.
You don't necessarily have to get the Park one - it's a very simple tool, nothing special about it.

I have the Park one, but I picked it up for $25 from a friend? I forget how I acquired it exactly.
Yeah for me it’s more about supporting a company that provides valuable tutorials and info and all that versus some Chinese :bs:

I’ll look around though, sometimes :scrooge: has to win out.
Apex

D Griff wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:13 pm
Apex wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:20 pm I may need to :troywax: on a fresh pair of shoes this year.

I don’t think I’d like clipping in on my MTB but definitely would like to try the dedicated shoes at some point.

I need to get my shifting/chain worked out and get some fresh rubber for starters. What wheel set are you looking at?
Clip in. It just feels right, and adds a factor of commitment on the trails.

No idea on wheelsets, not sure what’s available. Maybe some DT Swiss M1900 with 35mm inner width? :iono:
Fled enjoys the Spanks wheelset on his Scout.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

D Griff wrote:

Get those 5 ten MTB sneakers. Probably one my favorite things I got for the bike.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

09vdubgti
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: Forester

D Griff wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:16 pm
09vdubgti wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:03 pm Hey guys!

That looks like a pretty nice setup to me. My bike is in that price category but a 2016 and still treating me pretty well, but :jelly: of the more modern features. If you can actually get one in stock I’d go for it as inventory is rare.

What kind of riding do you plan to do? That really determines what the best bike is? But for trails that thing would work nicely.
Hey thanks, yea trails basically nothing really too tough yet. And maybe just coast up and down the shore bike paths.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Flats work just fine, IMO, especially if you’re newer to MTBing or riding a trail that is past your comfort zone in spots. You do lose some power transfer, of course, but a nice set of flats like the RaceFace Chester or similar, plus some gummy shoes, and you’re good to go.
troyguitar

Man, lower end tubeless compatible (road) wheels are not plentiful on the used market. I'm thinking about buying a pair of used Stan's that cost more than the rest of the bike... if I take the decals off they shouldn't be a theft magnet, right?

I'm assuming one can get QR skewers that require tools to remove too, need to look into that further.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:14 am
troyguitar wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:11 am Man, lower end tubeless compatible (road) wheels are not plentiful on the used market. I'm thinking about buying a pair of used Stan's that cost more than the rest of the bike... if I take the decals off they shouldn't be a theft magnet, right?

I'm assuming one can get QR skewers that require tools to remove too, need to look into that further.
See if you can find a set of takeoff tubeless ready wheels from Bontrager or something.

Yeah, you can get security skewers.
Bontrager and the like exist used but they're not much cheaper. 2000g used bontrager TLR set is ~$230. 1270g used Stan's set is $330.

I'm assuming the Stan's set will hold better value and be more fun to use in the meantime. $100 to drop 1.5 lbs of rotating mass seems like a no-brainer since I'm a lightweight rider. I might just ditch the SuperX if Lexa is fun to ride. Dat :plac: profit...
Apex

https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/produc ... tool-black

Want. Eagle GX AXS.

Wheels and a GX cassette would be the smarter move doe.
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:42 am
Apex wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:54 am https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/produc ... tool-black

Want. Eagle GX AXS.

Wheels and a GX cassette would be the smarter move doe.
Why the need for new wheels, exactly?
Beefier hubs to accommodate my beefier riding. :lol:
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:49 am
troyguitar wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:38 am

Bontrager and the like exist used but they're not much cheaper. 2000g used bontrager TLR set is ~$230. 1270g used Stan's set is $330.

I'm assuming the Stan's set will hold better value and be more fun to use in the meantime. $100 to drop 1.5 lbs of rotating mass seems like a no-brainer since I'm a lightweight rider. I might just ditch the SuperX if Lexa is fun to ride. Dat :plac: profit...
The Lexa ain't gonna hold a candle to the SuperX - totally different bikes. Lexa will feel lazy in comparison.

But yeah, if it's only a $100 difference in wheelset cost for that big of a difference in weight, #sendit bro.
I'm going to wait to sell anything until I can ride both bikes back to back, but my understanding of the geometry is that Lexa should be pretty snappy. Let's see if this copy/paste works, Lexa 54cm vs SuperX 51cm:

Reach 374 371
Stack 576 535
Top Tube (effective) 542 524
Seat Tube C-T 490 488
Head Angle 72.3 71
Seat Angle 73.7 74
Head Tube 168 110
Chainstay 410 422
Wheelbase 987 1005
Standover 754 773
BB Drop 70 70
Fork Rake / Offset 45 55
Trail 61 62
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

:iono: Carbon is better, the acceleration difference is :mindblown:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Noob question. Let's say you air up your tires and ride like a short commute...........3-5 miles. Before riding the next day do all of you guys air up again to ride at max performance pressure bro?
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.