Truk Talk: Invest in Trukcoin!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:58 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:32 pm
Shocks need to be stiffer off-road to minimize bottoming out the suspension. Constantly banging on the bump stops does not make for a comfortable ride off-road and reduces shock life. Every single vehicle I've driven with "heavy duty off-road suspension" rides worse than the more on-road focused counterpart, other than the ZR2 with its magic shocks.

It's very possible that the Bro is better, but my point is that forumbros will always blindly support what they spent their money on, you can hardly get a truly objective point of view.
Well that's what the remote reservoir is for, it has custom valving to avoid that sort of situation, which the regular shocks don't have. We're talking shocks that have remote reservoirs vs those that don't. So what makes the most sense is pretty soft/progressively firmer as you approach the end...

https://www.shocksurplus.com/pages/choo ... ota-tacoma
The second darker Taco at Shock Surplus recently upgraded to these, and was genuinely surprised by how much smoother the ride became
:P
Remote reservoir is just for extra oil capacity to aid in cooling...it's heat from rapid movement offroad that kills shock seals and whatnot, the extra fluid helps dissipate heat. Yes, the valving is unique, but it's not variable like the Raptor or ZR2.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Detroit wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:32 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:37 pm

I don’t see the parallel ... I’m looking to get the most comfortable ride out of the box. I’m not looking to mod, and I’m still perplexed why some claim off road shocks need to be stiff(er). If anything they need to be softer, hence my interest in the updated suspension from Toyota directly. So far almost everyone that has actually driven/owns a taco suggested that the ride quality is superior. Unfortunately I can’t verify the claims myself.
Shocks need to be stiffer off-road to minimize bottoming out the suspension. Constantly banging on the bump stops does not make for a comfortable ride off-road and reduces shock life. Every single vehicle I've driven with "heavy duty off-road suspension" rides worse than the more on-road focused counterpart, other than the ZR2 with its magic shocks.

It's very possible that the Bro is better, but my point is that forumbros will always blindly support what they spent their money on, you can hardly get a truly objective point of view.
This.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

max225

Emailed dealer in Oregon .... :hibachi:
Apex
Drives: Abominable

max225 wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:12 am Emailed dealer in Oregon .... :hibachi:
:popcorn:
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:33 pm https://youtu.be/HBjZu3TfjF8

Is this bs. ?
Not at all..is this what's on the TuRD BRO? I honestly don't know enough about them.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Detroit wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:38 am
max225 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:33 pm https://youtu.be/HBjZu3TfjF8

Is this bs. ?
Not at all..is this what's on the TuRD BRO? I honestly don't know enough about them.
Yes. Not only that but it also uses 2.5” diameter shocks vs plebe 2”. 2.5” Is supposed to be the best middle ground between full retard off road and DD.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:38 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:38 am
Yes. Not only that but it also uses 2.5” diameter shocks vs plebe 2”. 2.5” Is supposed to be the best middle ground between full retard off road and DD.
Again, size is about durability, not ride.

But, the "internal bypass" part is the critical (and :waxer: ) part for ride comfort. I didn't know the TuRD BRO had internal bypass shocks. Those would be absolutely worth the cost (which the shocks by themselves in the aftermarket are like $2k).
max225

Detroit wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:57 am
max225 wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:38 am

But, the "internal bypass" part is the critical (and :waxer: ) part for ride comfort. I didn't know the TuRD BRO had internal bypass shocks. Those would be absolutely worth the cost (which the shocks by themselves in the aftermarket are like $2k).
Yep closer to 3k in the aftermarket for all 4... :gaydance: Esspensive.. The minor concern is that these types of shocks wear out in 30-50k miles, vs 80-100k for gas shocks.

In terms of durability comments, I am still learning through your inputs, and what I can find online. External reservoir is not just for cooling it also allows for longer shock travel in the same "size" shock. And cooling as mentioned. I could be :wrong: but I am still learning as mentioned.
max225

Apex wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:13 am
max225 wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:12 am Emailed dealer in Oregon .... :hibachi:
Replied back they want a markup of 3k and it was "special ordered for someone" and they can "order me one" :gay:
Apex
Drives: Abominable

max225 wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:14 pm

Replied back they want a markup of 3k and it was "special ordered for someone" and they can "order me one" :gay:
:gay:
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:03 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:57 am

Yep closer to 3k in the aftermarket for all 4... :gaydance: Esspensive.. The minor concern is that these types of shocks wear out in 30-50k miles, vs 80-100k for gas shocks.

In terms of durability comments, I am still learning through your inputs, and what I can find online. External reservoir is not just for cooling it also allows for longer shock travel in the same "size" shock. And cooling as mentioned. I could be :wrong: but I am still learning as mentioned.
These types of shocks are usually rebuildable by Fox when the time comes, which isn't as expensive as replacing entirely. Gas shocks are still probably cheaper to replace, but you likely don't need to factor entire shock replacement costs for the :waxer: ones...assuming you even have the vehicle long enough to be concerned about it. I'd be surprised if you needed to do anything with those shocks for your intended use.

External reservoir shocks can allow for increased travel, but there's still physical limitations there.

But my missing piece was the internal bypass part. That shit is :waxer: and absolutely worth it. Gladiator Rubicons do not have internal bypass shocks, but the Mojave does. There's a significant ride quality difference between the two as a result of it.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:14 pm

:gay:
:dat:
max225

Detroit wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:15 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:03 pm

These types of shocks are usually rebuildable by Fox when the time comes, which isn't as expensive as replacing entirely. Gas shocks are still probably cheaper to replace, but you likely don't need to factor entire shock replacement costs for the :waxer: ones...assuming you even have the vehicle long enough to be concerned about it. I'd be surprised if you needed to do anything with those shocks for your intended use.

External reservoir shocks can allow for increased travel, but there's still physical limitations there.

But my missing piece was the internal bypass part. That shit is :waxer: and absolutely worth it. Gladiator Rubicons do not have internal bypass shocks, but the Mojave does. There's a significant ride quality difference between the two as a result of it.
:like: will update as I go along.
Johnny_P

If you think the OR rides fine as is, then I’m confused as to why we are even having this discussion?
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:24 pm If you think the OR rides fine as is, then I’m confused as to why we are even having this discussion?
I am learning about shocks and shock technologies and hopefully others do too :iono:
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Tell them you’ll wait until there’s a BLM protest by their lot and they’ll be more willing to have a paying buyer than the car burn down.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:29 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:24 pm If you think the OR rides fine as is, then I’m confused as to why we are even having this discussion?
I am learning about shocks and shock technologies and hopefully others do too :iono:
There's quite a bit to it, especially when it comes to :fancy: Off-road shocks. For so long off-road shocks were somewhat punishing on the street. Early shocks had manual adjustability (like Koni Yellows in sports cars), but internal bypass and the even more exotic spool valves in the Mutlimatic shocks on the ZR2 have really made expensive shocks a great on and off-road "best of both worlds".

If you really want to learn about shock tech, do some reading on the Multimatic DSSV dampers in the ZR2. I know :sass: the truck is ugly or your gardener drives one or whatever, but the shocks are really sweet.

http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/chassi ... matic-dssv

BTW, I took it upon myself to train field staff at Chevy on shock tech when I launched ZR2 as the brand manager. I know more than I should about this shit.
max225

Detroit wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:39 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:29 pm

There's quite a bit to it, especially when it comes to :fancy: Off-road shocks. For so long off-road shocks were somewhat punishing on the street. Early shocks had manual adjustability (like Koni Yellows in sports cars), but internal bypass and the even more exotic spool valves in the Mutlimatic shocks on the ZR2 have really made expensive shocks a great on and off-road "best of both worlds".

If you really want to learn about shock tech, do some reading on the Multimatic DSSV dampers in the ZR2. I know :sass: the truck is ugly or your gardener drives one or whatever, but the shocks are really sweet.

BTW, I took it upon myself to train field staff at Chevy on shock tech when I launched ZR2 as the brand manager. I know more than I should about this shit.
I wish the ZR2 shocks were available elsewhere... :hubba: They are epic.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:42 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:39 pm

I'd be surprised if they didn't expand. ZR2 was a massive project for them, up to that point they had done super low volume high end stuff. The only issue is the cost of the shocks is insane compared to simpler bypass shocks from the likes of Fox and Bilstein. GM used it as a competitive advantage to justify the cost, and it worked well for them as it was hit hard in marketing. Others may follow suit, but as electronic controls gain popularity and reduce cost, they might take over because it seems everyone loves digital shit now.
max225

Detroit wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:47 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:42 pm

I'd be surprised if they didn't expand. ZR2 was a massive project for them, up to that point they had done super low volume high end stuff. The only issue is the cost of the shocks is insane compared to simpler bypass shocks from the likes of Fox and Bilstein. GM used it as a competitive advantage to justify the cost, and it worked well for them as it was hit hard in marketing. Others may follow suit, but as electronic controls gain popularity and reduce cost, they might take over because it seems everyone loves digital shit now.
Well digital is ok as well, but these chocks are mechanically complicated AF. But whatever it takes to make a thing from 1930 ride like something from 2020. :like:
Johnny_P

I had multimatic dampers on my focus. They blew up after 30k miles. Both leaked. Couldn’t handle philly roads. Trash.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:22 pm I had multimatic dampers on my focus. They blew up after 30k miles. Both leaked. Couldn’t handle philly roads. Trash.
:wat: What year focus?
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:28 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:22 pm I had multimatic dampers on my focus. They blew up after 30k miles. Both leaked. Couldn’t handle philly roads. Trash.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:37 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:28 pm

Those are probably regular gas-o-matic... :lol: