OT 18: Anti-Social Distancing

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

wap wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:53 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:43 pm
TC is the largest city in northern Michigan(North of Midland in the center of the lower peninsula), and possibly the UP.
Population 15k. :mindblown:
That's just TC proper, which wouldn't include me where we're going to live. The Grand Traverse bay area is probably nearly double that.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:21 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:19 pm

I buy maybe 3-5 bottles annually, so whatever. It certainly beats the hoth downsides you've just outlined :disgust:
:wat: :mindblown:
I drink less than I used to, still quite a bit I guess, ut it's 90% beer and wine and I feel like we normally get a few bottles/year of liquor as gifts, people leave them at the house when we invite them over, etc.

Probably averaging like 6-12 beers/week and maybe a bottle of wine.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:25 pm Local governments seem like a pretty awesome place to work if you just don't want to care about anything. Too bad getting those jobs is pretty much a popularity contest. Like put me on the city council, I can't be worse than anyone else on there... can I?
I worked for a community college as an AV dude for like a year. $40K/year for the easiest most chill thing you could do. It was like 10% setting up some shit, 10% helping people troubleshoot, 10% computer/email shit, 70% golfmk6.com. 5/7 would recommend if you don't mind being bored. And that was $40K in 2013 or so, it is probably $60K now.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:40 pm
troyguitar wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:25 pm Local governments seem like a pretty awesome place to work if you just don't want to care about anything. Too bad getting those jobs is pretty much a popularity contest. Like put me on the city council, I can't be worse than anyone else on there... can I?
I worked for a community college as an AV dude for like a year. $40K/year for the easiest most chill thing you could do. It was like 10% setting up some shit, 10% helping people troubleshoot, 10% computer/email shit, 70% golfmk6.com. 5/7 would recommend if you don't mind being bored. And that was $40K in 2013 or so, it is probably $60K now.
You had to have a degree for that though, right? Even though it was work a 12 year old could do.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:30 pm
You just need to land a job that isn't a popularity contest...there's plenty of local .gov jobs that are just direct hire. Pay is usually so/so, but it has to be easy IDGAF work.
:dat: Trash truck drivers make like $50-60K here which isn't amazing but certainly livable. Sounds fun as hell compared to what I do :lolol:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:41 pm

You had to have a degree for that though, right? Even though it was work a 12 year old could do.
I don't think it was required,, University would likely require it, CC not so much. I would check out any local ones for job listings, it was a nice place to be. Good vacation time/hours, etc.
troyguitar

Our only CC is in the middle of massive cuts, last I heard something crazy like 30% of staff being let go. Good ole middle of nowhere problems. :thisisfine:
Desertbreh

D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:42 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:30 pm
You just need to land a job that isn't a popularity contest...there's plenty of local .gov jobs that are just direct hire. Pay is usually so/so, but it has to be easy IDGAF work.
:dat: Trash truck drivers make like $50-60K here which isn't amazing but certainly livable. Sounds fun as hell compared to what I do :lolol:
There's worse thangs no doubt! Drive a big truck with a robot arm that grabs garbage cans? :notbad:
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:44 pm Our only CC is in the middle of massive cuts, last I heard something crazy like 30% of staff being let go. Good ole middle of nowhere problems. :thisisfine:
Might be true everywhere, I can't see how an AV tech would be relevant for instance, given COVID. I guess maybe to assist people with remote learning, which sounds like a way shittier job.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:38 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:21 pm
:wat: :mindblown:
I drink less than I used to, still quite a bit I guess, ut it's 90% beer and wine and I feel like we normally get a few bottles/year of liquor as gifts, people leave them at the house when we invite them over, etc.

Probably averaging like 6-12 beers/week and maybe a bottle of wine.
That's where I'm at since moving up north. My consumption has plummeted and it feels pretty good TBH.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:19 pm
troyguitar wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:32 pm

I forgot about the :jesus: mandated liquor laws, guess there are 3 negative things about NC. :ohwell:
I buy maybe 3-5 bottles annually, so whatever. It certainly beats the hoth downsides you've just outlined :disgust:
3-5 bottles a year isn't too bad.

troyguitar

D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:45 pm
troyguitar wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:44 pm Our only CC is in the middle of massive cuts, last I heard something crazy like 30% of staff being let go. Good ole middle of nowhere problems. :thisisfine:
Might be true everywhere, I can't see how an AV tech would be relevant for instance, given COVID. I guess maybe to assist people with remote learning, which sounds like a way shittier job.
Could be, schools up here were already in trouble before COVID :doe: because... nobody wants to fucking be here and the state+fed spends all of its money on NYC.
The college was already working to recover from fiscal difficulty stemming from declining enrollment and other factors prior to the COVID-19 pandemic.

CCC responded to those challenges by cutting discretionary spending and reducing personnel costs through retirements, retrenchments, and attrition.

College officials say they continue to monitor a hiring freeze and pause on non-personnel spending to ensure expenditures are on mission-critical items only.

Corning Community College says it will lay off some staff and cut hours for other employees due to the financial impact of the COVID-19 shutdown.
However, the coronavirus outbreak added to that burden, and community colleges in the SUNY system are anticipating a reduction in state aid in next year’s budget.

In addition, SUNY CCC has projected a decline in fall enrollment due to a dwindling high school population and pandemic-related delays in students’ educational plans.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:45 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:42 pm

There's worse thangs no doubt! Drive a big truck with a robot arm that grabs garbage cans? :notbad:
Oddly, the only city I know of here with trucks with arms is Detroit. In our :waxer: hood it's still old school dudes riding on the back of the truck and manually dumping cans. We also have to buy our own trash cans, so that's probably the issue because very few cans are the same.
Desertbreh

Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:53 pm

Oddly, the only city I know of here with trucks with arms is Detroit. In our :waxer: hood it's still old school dudes riding on the back of the truck and manually dumping cans. We also have to buy our own trash cans, so that's probably the issue because very few cans are the same.
We have three plastic cans, one for trash, one for recycle, one for lawn waste.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:58 pm
:impressive:

They gave us a recycling can, that's usually just filled with wine bottles. We had to buy our trash can, and use paper yard bags to dispose of yard waste.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Holy 1995. We have had the arms here for 20 years at least. They do collect yard waste manually though.

:iono: I probably romanticize jobs like that because I don't really like office life, I'm sure most of those dudes would kill to sit at a desk all day and get paid way more. Grass is always greener.
troyguitar

As much as I enjoy driving on a race track, I find driving on public roads to be incredibly stressful. Especially in any remotely urban context. Driving a big truck or bus in a city is my idea of the most stressful job in the world.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:11 pm As much as I enjoy driving on a race track, I find driving on public roads to be incredibly stressful. Especially in any remotely urban context. Driving a big truck or bus in a city is my idea of the most stressful job in the world.
:dat: :dat: :dat:
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:04 pm
wap wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:53 pm

Population 15k. :mindblown:
That's just TC proper, which wouldn't include me where we're going to live. The Grand Traverse bay area is probably nearly double that.
:word:
Makes a little more sense then.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

:zing:
wap

Similar here. Waste disposal company provided 2 large cans, one for trash and one for recyclables, which their robot arm-equipped truck picks up every Monday. Lawn waste goes into a can that we bought and that truck is driven by one dude who gets out, dumps the can into the back of the truck, or throws the paper lawn bags back there, and drives off.

Oh, and we don't pay a fee for trash pick up. It's part of our :fullretard: property taxes. So there's that.
wap

D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:08 pm
Holy 1995. We have had the arms here for 20 years at least. They do collect yard waste manually though.

:iono: I probably romanticize jobs like that because I don't really like office life, I'm sure most of those dudes would kill to sit at a desk all day and get paid way more. Grass is always greener.
:dat: no doubt.
Desertbreh

I have had to google these "paper lawn bags"..........
troyguitar

Desertbreh wrote:I have had to google these "paper lawn bags"..........
It's just a big brown bag, like 4x the size of a grocery bag.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:27 pm

Similar here. Waste disposal company provided 2 large cans, one for trash and one for recyclables, which their robot arm-equipped truck picks up every Monday. Lawn waste goes into a can that we bought and that truck is driven by one dude who gets out, dumps the can into the back of the truck, or throws the paper lawn bags back there, and drives off.

Oh, and we don't pay a fee for trash pick up. It's part of our :fullretard: property taxes. So there's that.
It's part of our :waxer: property taxes AND WE STILL HAVE TO PAY AN $11/MO FEE that's included in the water bill because reasons.

Fucking city...