OT 18: Anti-Social Distancing

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Fun times up here in Hoth. We had a water main break maybe 2 months ago that left us without water and meant that the road on our block was torn up for about a week while they fixed it, leaving us without access to the driveway for that time and our road as half shitty gravel since then...

Apparently their fix at the time was merely a band-aid and they are now installing an entirely new water line via tearing up the remaining half of the asphalt on our road. Our whole block has been closed all week and will be closed for another 2-3 weeks minimum with random unannounced water shutoffs as well. Loud ass construction all fucking day right outside our front door, starting at 6AM about 50 feet from our bedroom window, which is open at night because no AC. We normally get up at 8.

Oh yeah and we now get to hunt for street parking a few blocks away and because Corning is Corning we have to move both cars to alternate sides of the street every single day lest we get stacks of parking tickets.

Hopefully(?) at some point after this is done they will close everything again to repave the road. I'm guessing not this year though.

Tell me again why I'm supposed to be happy here?
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:28 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:21 pm I don't think I've ever been in a store you have to be a member of. Is it really worth it? Aren't the quantities kind of large for a family of two?
There are certain things at Costco that are stone cold deals, and some that are just ok At Costco it's not really the quantity that drives the interest level, it is the QUALITY of the merchandise for the price paid. They had 5000 lb Quickjacks for a while for $999. You can buy a 1.75 liter bottle of Herradura Reposado for 54 bucks. That's how much they charge for a fifth at the grocery store. Wine deals, by and large, cannot be beaten. TV's are always competitive with Best Buy and have a 2 year no questions asked return policy. And if you get a business membership the cashback typically AT LEAST pays for the cost of membership so that's not really an issue.
We have the Costco Citi card, which has fantastic rebates. It basically pays us to use the card (which is just a Visa that works everywhere), and we end up with a membership for free. Gas and restaurants (consistently our highest spending) gets extra rebates that beat most other credit cards.

We buy dog food there, wine, and most of my clothes come from there...you'd be surprised at the prices on really quality clothing items. Food is just too much quantity (but excellent quality), so we usually skip that, but there's plenty of other benefits to make it worth it. If we have a party, we buy meat from there. And the Pizza at the food court is some of my favorite of all time. $10 for a GIANT pizza fresh out of the oven with a ton of toppings can't be beat.

We bought our appliances there for the last 2 houses, and will again. With the card, the warranty is extended to 3 years...which applies to ALL Electronics and the prices are lower than anywhere else I can find. Plus free delivery.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Desertbreh

Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:35 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:20 pm

I am indeed surprised that there is a Costco in Traverse City Michigan.
TC has every store a large city does. It's :minblown: we're giving up nothing. The ONLY thing missing for us is Trader Joes, but found found this "food cooperative" in town that sources everything from local farms, is as cheap as TJ's, but MUCH tastier. Just lacking the pre-packaged food game. And there's an Aldi up here that's a great replacement for that.

I need to take photos of the Costco here. It opened up a few years ago, and it's situated in the forest with nothing around it but the airport behind it. It's the nicest Costco I've ever seen. When we were leaving the last time we were here, a store associate had a can of paint and was touching up where someone had run a cart into the edge of the door opening. I didn't even know that was supposed to have paint on it, downstate stores are falling apart by comparison.
Interesting. It sounds like T-Dog is corporate center of the universe for UP.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

Melon wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:38 pm Baton Rouge crew - Safe & sound.

Didn't do much here, there's a bunch of leaves in the yard, but never lost power.
Good to hear man, glad you're safe.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:42 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:35 pm
TC has every store a large city does. It's :minblown: we're giving up nothing. The ONLY thing missing for us is Trader Joes, but found found this "food cooperative" in town that sources everything from local farms, is as cheap as TJ's, but MUCH tastier. Just lacking the pre-packaged food game. And there's an Aldi up here that's a great replacement for that.

I need to take photos of the Costco here. It opened up a few years ago, and it's situated in the forest with nothing around it but the airport behind it. It's the nicest Costco I've ever seen. When we were leaving the last time we were here, a store associate had a can of paint and was touching up where someone had run a cart into the edge of the door opening. I didn't even know that was supposed to have paint on it, downstate stores are falling apart by comparison.
TC is the largest city in northern Michigan(North of Midland in the center of the lower peninsula), and possibly the UP.
Desertbreh

Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:42 pm

There are certain things at Costco that are stone cold deals, and some that are just ok At Costco it's not really the quantity that drives the interest level, it is the QUALITY of the merchandise for the price paid. They had 5000 lb Quickjacks for a while for $999. You can buy a 1.75 liter bottle of Herradura Reposado for 54 bucks. That's how much they charge for a fifth at the grocery store. Wine deals, by and large, cannot be beaten. TV's are always competitive with Best Buy and have a 2 year no questions asked return policy. And if you get a business membership the cashback typically AT LEAST pays for the cost of membership so that's not really an issue.
We have the Costco Citi card, which has fantastic rebates. It basically pays us to use the card (which is just a Visa that works everywhere), and we end up with a membership for free. Gas and restaurants (consistently our highest spending) gets extra rebates that beat most other credit cards.

We buy dog food there, wine, and most of my clothes come from there...you'd be surprised at the prices on really quality clothing items. Food is just too much quantity (but excellent quality), so we usually skip that, but there's plenty of other benefits to make it worth it. If we have a party, we buy meat from there. And the Pizza at the food court is some of my favorite of all time. $10 for a GIANT pizza fresh out of the oven with a ton of toppings can't be beat.

We bought our appliances there for the last 2 houses, and will again. With the card, the warranty is extended to 3 years...which applies to ALL Electronics and the prices are lower than anywhere else I can find. Plus free delivery.
Costco Citi is our office spending card. We usually pull about a $1400 check every year, plus the Costco rebate check which is usually $150 or so.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:40 pm Fun times up here in Hoth. We had a water main break maybe 2 months ago that left us without water and meant that the road on our block was torn up for about a week while they fixed it, leaving us without access to the driveway for that time and our road as half shitty gravel since then...

Apparently their fix at the time was merely a band-aid and they are now installing an entirely new water line via tearing up the remaining half of the asphalt on our road. Our whole block has been closed all week and will be closed for another 2-3 weeks minimum with random unannounced water shutoffs as well. Loud ass construction all fucking day right outside our front door, starting at 6AM about 50 feet from our bedroom window, which is open at night because no AC. We normally get up at 8.

Oh yeah and we now get to hunt for street parking a few blocks away and because Corning is Corning we have to move both cars to alternate sides of the street every single day lest we get stacks of parking tickets.

Hopefully(?) at some point after this is done they will close everything again to repave the road. I'm guessing not this year though.

That's...terrible. Hard to be happy with that.

What ever happened to that badass house in the country?
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:21 pm I don't think I've ever been in a store you have to be a member of. Is it really worth it? Aren't the quantities kind of large for a family of two?
:dat:

Booze too.. some of the Kirkland branded stuff is supposedly much more expensive stuff sold in their bottle.

Yesterday I got two bottles of lagavulin 16 for $54 each where the local liquor stores sell it for $75-$99 a bottle.
troyguitar

Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:44 pm
troyguitar wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:40 pm Fun times up here in Hoth. We had a water main break maybe 2 months ago that left us without water and meant that the road on our block was torn up for about a week while they fixed it, leaving us without access to the driveway for that time and our road as half shitty gravel since then...

Dunno if it sold or not but it's no longer listed for sale. Buying here is :fullretard: anyway unless you just love being cold and paying crazy taxes to live in the woods.

We don't have friends or family to go rent a house from for a month, sadly.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Didn't do much here, there's a bunch of leaves in the yard, but never lost power.
Thanks man,
Haven't heard from Barrett yet however.
Not all airboaters are accounted for.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Desertbreh

Melon wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:58 pm
Thanks man,
Pretty sure if things got dicey he could just JB Weld a boat together and float to safety. Good news, Alan. You DO NOT need a repeat flood. That should be about once a lifetime max.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:55 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:44 pm

Dunno if it sold or not but it's no longer listed for sale. Buying here is :fullretard: anyway unless you just love being cold and paying crazy taxes to live in the woods.

Yea, good point. :nope: I'm so :hellno: with high property taxes ever again.

What you're dealing with is your landlord's high taxes at work...really great use of resources. :rolleyes:
ChrisoftheNorth

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:47 pm

Booze too.. some of the Kirkland branded stuff is supposedly much more expensive stuff sold in their bottle.

Yesterday I got two bottles of lagavulin 16 for $54 each where the local liquor stores sell it for $75-$99 a bottle.
Kirkland dry gin is some of my favorite ever. and It's cheap. Their "expensive" vodka is absolutely outstanding too, and IIRC Under $30 for 1.75 liters
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:00 pm
Melon wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:58 pm

Thanks man,
Pretty sure if things got dicey he could just JB Weld a boat together and float to safety. Good news, Alan. You DO NOT need a repeat flood. That should be about once a lifetime max.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
ChrisoftheNorth

Melon wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:18 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:00 pm

:dat: :dat: :dat:
troyguitar

Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:05 pm
troyguitar wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:55 pm

What you're dealing with is your landlord's high taxes at work...really great use of resources. :rolleyes:
I mean infrastructure work in and of itself is a good idea, but they are of course going about it in the worst way possible.

This section of road was newly paved 2 years ago. The water lines under it had already been problematic for years. The water people fucking told the city to replace the water lines before the road. Instead the city said "Yeah, nah" and slapped down new pavement NFG.

So they waste a huge pile of money on the road, then waste a huge pile of money tearing it up to repair the shitty old lines to last another 2 months so that they can do what they knew should have been done in the first place... and oh yeah instead of having the project take place during the summer while school is out (our block is the main access point for an elementary school) it is now going to overlap with the first couple weeks of school, leading to a massive clusterfuck.

In the end it's going to cost more than double what it should have cost and have been a massive headache for tons of people.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

troyguitar wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:32 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:30 pm

:notbad:

Sadly we have communist liquor laws here and have to purchase through state run establishments. Crossing the border to SC Freedumb land saves a lot of money, I wonder if there's a Costco down there.
I forgot about the :jesus: mandated liquor laws, guess there are 3 negative things about NC. :ohwell:
I buy maybe 3-5 bottles annually, so whatever. It certainly beats the hoth downsides you've just outlined :disgust:
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

troyguitar wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:19 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:05 pm

I mean infrastructure work in and of itself is a good idea, but they are of course going about it in the worst way possible.

This section of road was newly paved 2 years ago. The water lines under it had already been problematic for years. The water people fucking told the city to replace the water lines before the road. Instead the city said "Yeah, nah" and slapped down new pavement NFG.

So they waste a huge pile of money on the road, then waste a huge pile of money tearing it up to repair the shitty old lines to last another 2 months so that they can do what they knew should have been done in the first place... and oh yeah instead of having the project take place during the summer while school is out (our block is the main access point for an elementary school) it is now going to overlap with the first couple weeks of school, leading to a massive clusterfuck.

In the end it's going to cost more than double what it should have cost and have been a massive headache for tons of people.
.gov gonna .gov
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:19 pm
troyguitar wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:32 pm

I forgot about the :jesus: mandated liquor laws, guess there are 3 negative things about NC. :ohwell:
I buy maybe 3-5 bottles annually, so whatever. It certainly beats the hoth downsides you've just outlined :disgust:
:wat: :mindblown:
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:20 pm
troyguitar wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:19 pm

.gov gonna .gov

But it makes me :rage: to think about high tax dollars just supporting that kind of waste. That should NOT be ok.
troyguitar

Local governments seem like a pretty awesome place to work if you just don't want to care about anything. Too bad getting those jobs is pretty much a popularity contest. Like put me on the city council, I can't be worse than anyone else on there... can I?
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:25 pm Local governments seem like a pretty awesome place to work if you just don't want to care about anything. Too bad getting those jobs is pretty much a popularity contest. Like put me on the city council, I can't be worse than anyone else on there... can I?
You just need to land a job that isn't a popularity contest...there's plenty of local .gov jobs that are just direct hire. Pay is usually so/so, but it has to be easy IDGAF work.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

troyguitar wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:25 pm Local governments seem like a pretty awesome place to work if you just don't want to care about anything. Too bad getting those jobs is pretty much a popularity contest. Like put me on the city council, I can't be worse than anyone else on there... can I?
Local gov is super easy. And a lot of them work for multiple municipalities so they end up with 3 or 4 pensions.
I knew of one fire marshall who worked for 8 different townships. :mindblown:

Those jobs are all who you know, and are super rare to open up.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

:fuckyeah:
Good to hear. :like:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:43 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:42 pm

TC is the largest city in northern Michigan(North of Midland in the center of the lower peninsula), and possibly the UP.
Population 15k. :mindblown:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.