OT 18: Anti-Social Distancing

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
NeonJonny
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: XR600R, C5Z, BWS3 SRT4

Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:17 am
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:26 pm

Dood you are a pipe hittin :mahtroy: with that setup but your yard looks like......Bakersfield/El Centro.
:notsure:
You know you're middleclass fancy when the string lights go up. I've been on the fence of doing sun sails and lights as well.
In some cities 'round these parts having grass is not allowed.
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:26 pm

Dood you are a pipe hittin :mahtroy: with that setup but your yard looks like......Bakersfield/El Centro.
More like El Centro.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:13 am
More like El Centro.
I have no idea what that means. I spent very little time in the desert.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Desertbreh

Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:22 am

More like El Centro.
It needs some work.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Desertbreh wrote:
Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:17 am :notsure:
More like El Centro.
Don't be a menace to south central.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:32 am
Desertbreh wrote:
More like El Centro.
Don't be a menace to south central.
especially when drinking your juice in the hood.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:05 pm
wap wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:03 pm

:notbad:
More women should be running more things.
IDGAF what the gender is, the world needs better managers period. And right now, the old white guys are failing.
:iono: most of my bosses have been pretty rad. I think your issue is more in your industry and working for these old school companies. Did you have shitty bosses in CA working as a journalist?

I have worked at a bunch of places. Looking back, my managers at Outback Steakhouse were not great, not terrible. I freelanced in college a lot but the folks I contracted for were great pretty much across the board (actually just remembered that I worked for another woman down there in South Beach :woodplow: and she was also great). I've worked for several small companies where the managers have to understand the biz and do more than just "management :bs: ".

I feel like large corps have a lot of fluff in the mid-high level management area and old school companies still run them like the peons, especially people who aren't white dudes, are useless.

I would absolutely recommend smaller company life. You have to do more, but it is better.
troyguitar

Detroit wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:32 am Don't be a menace to south central.
especially when drinking your juice in the hood.
:mahtroy:

I didn't understand most of those movies at the time but they were still hilarious.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

More like El Centro.
It is a very shitty town a ways east of San Diego... Have been, wouldn't return.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:25 pm Image

Hung string lights over the patio this evening. Now enjoying a beer out here and about to pick up pizza. :fatty: :fuckyeah:
:nice: we have similar lights :pinshit: that the wife put up. While :pinshit: I do enjoy them.

We have some tiki torches that seem to help with the bugs. I just don't GAF much about the bugs, they can bite me, fuck it.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:28 am
It is a very shitty town a ways east of San Diego... Have been, wouldn't return.
Wow, what a nice compliment Eric gave me comparing my yard to that!
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:26 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:05 pm
IDGAF what the gender is, the world needs better managers period. And right now, the old white guys are failing.
:iono: most of my bosses have been pretty rad. I think your issue is more in your industry and working for these old school companies. Did you have shitty bosses in CA working as a journalist?

I have worked at a bunch of places. Looking back, my managers at Outback Steakhouse were not great, not terrible. I freelanced in college a lot but the folks I contracted for were great pretty much across the board (actually just remembered that I worked for another woman down there in South Beach :woodplow: and she was also great). I've worked for several small companies where the managers have to understand the biz and do more than just "management :bs: ".

I feel like large corps have a lot of fluff in the mid-high level management area and old school companies still run them like the peons, especially people who aren't white dudes, are useless.

I would absolutely recommend smaller company life. You have to do more, but it is better.
I got spoiled early in my career. My first boss was a great mentor and actually helped me land the writing gig at a different company. That was a small website that was kind of on it's way out, and I worked for a dude that let me run the content show. I'd share plans and editorial calendars with him weekly, he'd give a little feedback, but mostly left me on my own, which I thrived in.

Things went downhill when I felt like I peaked at 25 running content for a website and decided to get my MBA to try corporate life. I stopped writing because I couldn't travel with school, and took an easy job at an ad agency where I was micromanaged and miserable. That was the beginning of the end...

Small companies don't value what I do...and the few that do are only software or computer stuff of which I have no experience. Oh well, plan is just to figure out how to retire asap.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

D Griff wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:30 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:25 pm Image

Hung string lights over the patio this evening. Now enjoying a beer out here and about to pick up pizza. :fatty: :fuckyeah:
:nice: we have similar lights :pinshit: that the wife put up. While :pinshit: I do enjoy them.

We have some tiki torches that seem to help with the bugs. I just don't GAF much about the bugs, they can bite me, fuck it.
Tiki torches? Hold it right there White supremacist
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Desertbreh

Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:49 am
D Griff wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:28 am

Chris, it is a little beat up, yes? I want to have sex with your garage and patio, but your yard needs a little love.
Desertbreh

I have disobeyed the if you can't say something nice don't say it rule. I will banish myself for the day.
troyguitar

D Griff wrote:I just don't GAF much about the bugs, they can bite me, fuck it.
:impressive:
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:47 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:49 am
Chris, it is a little beat up, yes? I want to have sex with your garage and patio, but your yard needs a little love.
We were going to plant grass but Detroit turned into a scorching desert this summer, and I'll go bankrupt watering dirt or sod trying to get it to establish. Hopefully we'll be able to plant in September.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:49 am I have disobeyed the if you can't say something nice don't say it rule. I will banish myself for the day.
IDGAF because :notwrong:
troyguitar

Detroit wrote:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:49 am I have disobeyed the if you can't say something nice don't say it rule. I will banish myself for the day.
It's also not like you are showing it off claiming it to be "done" - it's obviously been a work in progress for awhile.

That's the good part about home ownershit, you actually have an incentive to improve things. I'd love to drop a few grand into making our place not suck. It wouldn't really take that much but it'll never happen.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

[user not found] wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:51 am Man I'm swammmpppeeed today
Get to draining it!
Desertbreh

Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:58 am
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:47 am

We were going to plant grass but Detroit turned into a scorching desert this summer, and I'll go bankrupt watering dirt or sod trying to get it to establish. Hopefully we'll be able to plant in September.
So cost of watering in ordinary June vs. cost of watering June 2020?
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:47 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:58 am
So cost of watering in ordinary June vs. cost of watering June 2020?
Just over double. 2019 was $60, 2020 was $150. More than the fucking power bill.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:03 pm
Detroit wrote:
It's also not like you are showing it off claiming it to be "done" - it's obviously been a work in progress for awhile.

That's the good part about home ownershit, you actually have an incentive to improve things. I'd love to drop a few grand into making our place not suck. It wouldn't really take that much but it'll never happen.
:dat:

I actually enjoy the steady improvement...it's fun to put effort in and see the results. We'll have things really dialed in next spring.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Inherited really bad grass but I'm too busy to resod and water it twice a day. Things were really hot and dry for about three weeks and even people who water daily have yellow lawns. The only really nice lawns have irrigation in them.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

razr390 wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:37 pm
wap wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:55 pm Random observation, one of my best bosses was a woman. She was my boss for most of my college job and really taught 19 yo me a lot about office and corporate life.
I bet she really gave you a hand :hubba: in life.