Dem bicicletas, doe

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Apex wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:02 pm
Acid666 wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:55 pm

It cost anything?
Free version is solid and still ad free.
I just hopped on the free 60 day trial of the :fancy: version. SO far I'm not really compelled to pay, I don't really need all that much data.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Ate, drank, and slept like shit yesterday. Felt like garbage all day, forced myself to get on the bike anyway... then put in my strongest ride ever. :wtf:

Listen up, kids: If you don't get :drunk: and eat pizza, you won't get faster.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:01 pm Ate, drank, and slept like shit yesterday. Felt like garbage all day, forced myself to get on the bike anyway... then put in my strongest ride ever. :wtf:

Dat carb loading. Weirdly, despite feeling terrible, I've had some top notch workouts hungover as well. I think my strongest ever dead lift at 385 was post a night of hard drinking. I was 25 :doe: :iono:
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

troyguitar wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:01 pm Ate, drank, and slept like shit yesterday. Felt like garbage all day, forced myself to get on the bike anyway... then put in my strongest ride ever. :wtf:

Change of plans. Instead of shorts, ima order me some pizzas. God I hope I don't get the weirdo autistic delivery driver from Pizza Hut again. Dude remembers EVERYTHING and doesn't get off my god damn lawn.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

I played bikes today :gaydance:

Rode through the exclusion zone in Philly. Didn't get killed by cops. Amaze.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:41 pm Just set a new FTP PR: 334.4 watts.

555 watts. :neat:
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:17 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:03 pm I played bikes today :gaydance:

Rode through the exclusion zone in Philly. Didn't get killed by cops. Amaze.
No pics? :bruh:
Didn't want to get pepper sprayed in the face or point blank shot with a rubber bullet to the forehead :spinulator:

Was in a weird head space. Still am. Haven't been able to shake it.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

troyguitar wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:47 pm If it sucks I'll resell it on ebay, can't do that with the padded underwear...
I mean, you could...
troyguitar

Konichiwa, bitches
troyguitar

Am I :wrong: to think that flat bars plus something in the middle like time trial dudes use would give you the best of both worlds for an aero and a comfy position?
troyguitar

Drop bars seem terrible for control too, but I guess less terrible than the aero ones.

Dunno, I have found myself a few times now with my forearms on the bars to take weight off of my hands/ass. Seems like it could be comfy if you had the little arm holders that they use.

At this rate I'll never be riding outside let alone in a group. Dunno if my neck is ever going to be able to work with road bike positions. :whocares:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:52 am Drop bars seem terrible for control too, but I guess less terrible than the aero ones.

Dunno, I have found myself a few times now with my forearms on the bars to take weight off of my hands/ass. Seems like it could be comfy if you had the little arm holders that they use.

At this rate I'll never be riding outside let alone in a group. Dunno if my neck is ever going to be able to work with road bike positions. :whocares:
:dat: seems like it would be fine if you were just indoors. I've never tried them, but I think I'd hate it. I find drop bars to even be a bit twitchy relative to a mountain bike, but I've gotten used to them. Raising mine up a bit helped me out as well. I think most of my bike mods/adjustments actually make me slower but :ohwell: . For me it is a lso a form of transportation so it needs to be usable.

Curious how your seat works out... I am starting to think I may move on from the vintage behemoth. On longer rides it's meh, chafes my legs a bit.

I rode to the dentist today, was fine.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:27 am Am I :wrong: to think that flat bars plus something in the middle like time trial dudes use would give you the best of both worlds for an aero and a comfy position?
Ride whatever you like :) Been saying it but you really can change the bars out to a flat style for a few hundo. Most of my teammates also have "dad bikes" that are like gravel bikes but have flat handlebars that are swept back for more casual riding. They just grabbed old/used drop bar gravel/CX bikes (like yours) and did the conversion to flat bar.

Plenty of people use aero bars, but keep in mind due to decreased control and ability to brake quickly you likley won't be allowed to attend any group rides with them on.

The combo you're talking about is very popular with Tour Divide riders, who you can think of ultra endurance solo riding gravel people. When I ride my mountain bike which is flat bar, I kind of always wish I had little mini clip on aero bars like this. When I ride to/from the trails I'm on a paved path or closed road for a lot of it and I usually just rest my elbows on the bar and clasp my hands together in front of me in an aero type position as it's more comfortable to me on the road and a faster way to ride when solo.

Many spin bikes have multi-position bars that have an aero bar type position available, just to give you more hand position options.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:15 am
troyguitar wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:52 am Drop bars seem terrible for control too, but I guess less terrible than the aero ones.

:dat: seems like it would be fine if you were just indoors. I've never tried them, but I think I'd hate it. I find drop bars to even be a bit twitchy relative to a mountain bike, but I've gotten used to them. Raising mine up a bit helped me out as well. I think most of my bike mods/adjustments actually make me slower but :ohwell: . For me it is a lso a form of transportation so it needs to be usable.

Curious how your seat works out... I am starting to think I may move on from the vintage behemoth. On longer rides it's meh, chafes my legs a bit.

I rode to the dentist today, was fine.
Your first ride on a Shimano STI / Sram DoubleTap integrated shifter bike will blow your mind. Being able to downshift and brake at the same time, or shift while sprinting / standing is incredible.
Johnny_P

I was hoping I'd pick up a Stigmata and start riding it this year, before the baby comes. Due to job sitch it looks like that won't happen.

:sad:
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:51 am I was hoping I'd pick up a Stigmata and start riding it this year, before the baby comes. Due to job sitch it looks like that won't happen.

You probably won’t be able to find one this year anyway.
troyguitar

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:45 am
troyguitar wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:27 am Am I :wrong: to think that flat bars plus something in the middle like time trial dudes use would give you the best of both worlds for an aero and a comfy position?
Ride whatever you like :) Been saying it but you really can change the bars out to a flat style for a few hundo. Most of my teammates also have "dad bikes" that are like gravel bikes but have flat handlebars that are swept back for more casual riding. They just grabbed old/used drop bar gravel/CX bikes (like yours) and did the conversion to flat bar.

Plenty of people use aero bars, but keep in mind due to decreased control and ability to brake quickly you likley won't be allowed to attend any group rides with them on.

The combo you're talking about is very popular with Tour Divide riders, who you can think of ultra endurance solo riding gravel people. When I ride my mountain bike which is flat bar, I kind of always wish I had little mini clip on aero bars like this. When I ride to/from the trails I'm on a paved path or closed road for a lot of it and I usually just rest my elbows on the bar and clasp my hands together in front of me in an aero type position as it's more comfortable to me on the road and a faster way to ride when solo.

Many spin bikes have multi-position bars that have an aero bar type position available, just to give you more hand position options.
Yeah that's basically exactly what I was doing with my elbows at the bars and hands together out front. The reason I haven't changed bars yet is because it turns into a major case of "while you're in there..."

Bars themselves are $15, sure. But if I'm getting new shifter(s) I might as well ditch the triple front ring and derailleur, at which point I might as well go 1x11 or 1x12 which means ditching the rear cassettes (indoor and outdoor) and rear derailleur. Dunno if my mechanical disc brakes are compatible with the throw of regular flat bar levers either, so maybe new brakes? Might as well get a power meter if I'm changing cranks too, right? :wasteful:
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:53 am
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:51 am I was hoping I'd pick up a Stigmata and start riding it this year, before the baby comes. Due to job sitch it looks like that won't happen.

You probably won’t be able to find one this year anyway.
That's the other thing, lots of supply shortages in the bike world due to COVID.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:58 am

Yeah that's basically exactly what I was doing with my elbows at the bars and hands together out front. The reason I haven't changed bars yet is because it turns into a major case of "while you're in there..."

Bars themselves are $15, sure. But if I'm getting new shifter(s) I might as well ditch the triple front ring and derailleur, at which point I might as well go 1x11 or 1x12 which means ditching the rear cassettes (indoor and outdoor) and rear derailleur. Dunno if my mechanical disc brakes are compatible with the throw of regular flat bar levers either, so maybe new brakes? Might as well get a power meter if I'm changing cranks too, right? :wasteful:
:dat: is why I kept my road bike "build" to a absolute minimum. It's cheaper to just buy the thing you want from the start. That said, I kind of want to explore a real build as I just like the way my bike looks and it isn't as heavy as the old Schwinn's and shit.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:58 am

It's a slippery slope for sure.

Easiest / cheapest thing to do is the following:
Flat bar - $30
-Be sure to get one that's the right clamp diameter for your stem which IIRC is 28.6mm?
Claris shifter/brake lever combo set - $60 for the two? Unsure. Should be about that much.
-Comes with cables and housing for at least the shifters. May need cables for the brakes.
Grips - $10
And then you may need to reinstall your old longer stem, but TBD on that.

If you wanted to go HAM:
-11s shifter - SLX $40
-Rear derailleur - SLX GS "long cage" $70
-11s Cassette - SLX 11-46t $70
-11s chain - $20?
-Crankset that would work with a square taper bottom bracket for 1x11... It appears your crank is a Tourney level riveted construction, meaning you cannot change the chainrings. I could be wrong about this, you'd have to check. If the chainrings are bolted on you can pull them off and just get a 1x11 chainring which would be cheaper. That fucking blows, I had no idea Shimano did that... Either way you want a narrow/wide chainring on there, which helps with chain retention so it doesn't just go flying off the sprocket at every bump or in the more extreme ends of the cassette. Cheaper option would just be to Griff it and leave everything in place as is just disconnect the shifter cable and lock the front derailleur in one position using the limit screws.
-Brake levers like from Tektro "short pull" for road style calipers $20?
-Handlebar
-Grips
Could decrease this cost if you go with used parts which may be like $200 for the drivetrain (shifter/derailleur/cassette)
troyguitar

I suppose just for fucking around indoors I don't really need to change anything but the bar and grips, plus maybe a single 8-speed shifter for the rear... or even throw a ghetto bar end on inside my grips and attach the STI shifter to it. I don't need brakes inside and I have only been using my middle 39T front ring. Could likely get going for $50 or so.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:00 pm I suppose just for fucking around indoors I don't really need to change anything but the bar and grips, plus maybe a single 8-speed shifter for the rear... or even throw a ghetto bar end on inside my grips and attach the STI shifter to it. I don't need brakes inside and I have only been using my middle 39T front ring. Could likely get going for $50 or so.
https://www.amazon.com/SHIMANO-Claris-B ... B075WP25W1

That's the flat bar shifter/brake set style I was referencing FYI. You'd need to get the left and right separately, but at least it will work with your drivetrain and discs, all in one tidy package.
troyguitar

Just had either a :derp: or brilliant moment...

For screwing around indoors, can't I just use both of my stems and have the stock drop bars with STI levers mounted below a bare flat bar? I have 50mm of spacers now and the stem is only 40mm tall.

Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:34 pm Just had either a :derp: or brilliant moment...

For screwing around indoors, can't I just use both of my stems and have the stock drop bars with STI levers mounted below a bare flat bar? I have 50mm of spacers now and the stem is only 40mm tall.

Do it! You have another stem already, right?
troyguitar

Yeah I have 2 stems, just need a $15 bar and some grips. Might want to actually get "good" grips, that's the one thing I really remember from my brief test on the Trek FX bikes. The FX3 grips were waaay more comfy than the FX2. It had these which only work on the trek bar, but there must be a decent generic option with a similar shape:

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/equi ... t/p/14247/