Car Talk 4: The Richard Hertz Rent-A-Car 500

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

razr390 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:23 pm
4zilch wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:22 am

:notbad:

I’d say he’s exceeding that tongue weight tho.
It’s one way to warm up the transmission
:dat:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

4zilch wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:50 am
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:31 am

Surprised the rear tires rubbing the fender liners wasn't a clue for them. "Hey, what's that loud HUMMM and massive vibration? Does the car seem to be riding really rough?? " "Nope, everything is fine, carry on."
I’d like to assume that they knew this wasn’t the best idea, but were only going a short distance so yolo.
I wonder if the 'maro would actually be the better tow car in reversal of this situation.

-heavier
-bigger brakes
-more engine (esp if v8)

but truth be told, that trailer alone maxed out what that accord can safely tow.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

[user not found] wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:43 pm
razr390 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:31 pm Uploaded to our local VW group....

:science:

:butwhy:

:ayfkm:

:bruh:

:wat:
“She can handle it, my father swears by Honda reliability!”
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

razr390 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:31 pm Uploaded to our local VW group....

I posted that on snap group, but :whocares:
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

Bloomberg headline - Elon Musk Blindsided Tesla Staff With Store-Closing Plans

Shocking that a twit with the attention span of gnat would just blindside his own underpaid, over worked staff for glory LOL. Just never happens in the airified world of uber wealth.....

Add this to the uber wealthy distortion and hate of its own employee's - Amazon's culture is reportedly so hard on working parents that some people don't mention their kids or display family pictures

I guess this is how you cope with the 2 examples of shite life above - People in states where marijuana is legal are eating more cookies and ice cream :)
Davestr

Latest on Tesla after the recent announcements - https://www.marketwatch.com/story/heres ... _investing

Announcing the cheaper Model 3 last week was an indicator that demand for higher-end Model 3 vehicles “has not been as strong as the company expected,” said the RBC analysts, led by Joseph Spak.

And announcing the Model Y unveil shortly after that “suggests that consumer reaction toward the $35k Model 3 may not have been as strong as the company had hoped.”

Tesla shares fell more than 3% on Monday, slipping under $300. The shares have lost 15% in the past 12 months, compared with gains around 3.4% for the S&P 500 index. SPX, -0.39%

“We expect the Model Y launch to also require deposits to order,” the analysts said.

When the Model 3 was first announced, the company took in more than 400,000 orders at $1,000 each, “effectively” a raise around $400 million, they said.

Ordering the cheaper $35,000 Model 3 requires a $2,500 deposit. That is “notable timing,” the analysts said, since Tesla on Friday repaid $920 million in convertible notes, likely using up a quarter of its cash.

“We believe there has been a fall-off in U.S. demand and softer-than-expected demand in Europe/China,” they said in the Sunday note. “Price cuts on the Model S/X/3 globally supports the view that overall demand has softened.”

Moreover, as Tesla grows its fleet, service and quality have been under stress, the analysts said.

“More customers are growing frustrated and more potential customers are likely to know someone who has had a bad experience. To be clear, we don’t mean to imply that service (and quality) issues are rampant, but they are occurring,” and enthusiasm for the brand might be lower than when Tesla launched the Model 3 three years ago, they said.

The Model Y announcement could also further impact Model 3 demand since “we believe consumers prefer CUVs,” the RBC analysts said.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

I wonder how Model Y pre-orders will be impacted by the Model 3 pre-order process? So many people waited forever to buy the "cheap" car...curious to see if that experience makes people think twice about the Y.

The sudden store closures make a lot of sense financially. The stores have played their part in brand building and are likely no longer necessary. The brand awareness of Tesla is staggering especially without any marketing or advertising support. Stores are probably more of a liability than anything else, and going 100% online should allow deliveries in all 50 states.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

This thing is so ridiculously awesome...

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2659 ... otos-info/

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:49 am This thing is so ridiculously awesome...

Yeah, watched this yesterday just before I took a nap:

ChrisoftheNorth

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:52 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:49 am This thing is so ridiculously awesome...

20 minutes of :sass: :notsure:
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:58 am
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:52 am

I dunno, I like that guy for some reason. He has some decent long drive vids.
ChrisoftheNorth

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:59 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:58 am
Never watched him. I usually pass on auto show coverage because at the heart of it, the execs just regurgitate the press release.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:01 am
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:59 am

Never watched him. I usually pass on auto show coverage because at the heart of it, the execs just regurgitate the press release.
You're not :wrong:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:09 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:01 am
You're not :wrong:
:triggered:

everyone here is :wrong:

Code: Select all

:notwrong:
Davestr

Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:37 am I wonder how Model Y pre-orders will be impacted by the Model 3 pre-order process? So many people waited forever to buy the "cheap" car...curious to see if that experience makes people think twice about the Y.

The sudden store closures make a lot of sense financially. The stores have played their part in brand building and are likely no longer necessary. The brand awareness of Tesla is staggering especially without any marketing or advertising support. Stores are probably more of a liability than anything else, and going 100% online should allow deliveries in all 50 states.
A bit of a long read here on curent Tesla status etc - https://www.businessinsider.de/tesla-fa ... ?r=US&IR=T
Davestr

GIven all I cared about in college was surfing, and now this fkn thing is avail LOL
ChrisoftheNorth

Davestr wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:29 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:37 am I wonder how Model Y pre-orders will be impacted by the Model 3 pre-order process? So many people waited forever to buy the "cheap" car...curious to see if that experience makes people think twice about the Y.

A bit of a long read here on curent Tesla status etc - https://www.businessinsider.de/tesla-fa ... ?r=US&IR=T
Seems like the house of cards is on the verge of collapse. The recent hail marry of the cheaper cars, no retail stores, and rushed Model Y revel is it.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Davestr wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:30 am

GIven all I cared about in college was surfing, and now this fkn thing is avail LOL
I doubt it will ever become a real thing, at least in the USA.

Even though it is electric, which should win it major points with them, It screams "too unsafe" for the helicopter parents that run the country today.
ChrisoftheNorth

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:00 am
Davestr wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:30 am

I doubt it will ever become a real thing, at least in the USA.

Even though it is electric, which should win it major points with them, It screams "too unsafe" for the helicopter parents that run the country today.
I doubt it'll ever be a production car anywhere. I still think it's super cool.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Davestr wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:29 am

These articles have been coming out for 10 years now that Tesla is on the verge of collapse.

All online sales, minimal retail stores, new gigafactory in China coming online this year will explode sales, constant new product in the pipelines. All from a US company. There are two reasons you see these articles all the time. 1) Propoganda fueled by the gas lobby and big automakers to sink them (and we all know how you love to eat up propoganda), and 2) they're on the forefront of technology breaking new ground so they're exciting. No other automaker gets as much attention as Tesla does, and frankly the death drum is getting fucking old. Tesla isn't going anywhere. If it "folds" it'll get bought up by an investment firm, or another large automaker, if for nothing other than their infrastructure and brand name. They have the loyal following, media attention, and worldwide brand recognition that big automakers can only dream of. And with an injection of cash and corporate structure they'd be a huge asset to any automaker.

Why do you hate this company so much?
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:05 am
Because they make really shitty products at a high price and their customers are morans to pay for them and be beta testers?
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:07 am
Because they make really shitty products at a high price and their customers are morans to pay for them and be beta testers?
I get that mindset. But I guess I also see the other side of the argument where they’re a groundbreaking US startup company pushing the technological forefront of the industry. And because of that aspect I think they’re a fine example of American ingenuity and strength.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:18 am

I get that mindset. But I guess I also see the other side of the argument where they’re a groundbreaking US startup company pushing the technological forefront of the industry. And because of that aspect I think they’re a fine example of American ingenuity and strength.
They're a fine example of American ingenuity, but strength? We'll see how all these cars look in 3 years.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Tell us how you really feel about loosing that drag race to the p100D
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:21 am

Tell us how you really feel about loosing that drag race to the p100D
This is why Tesla is significant, it effectively flipped the script on EVs proving they don't have to be boring podmobiles. :plaid: fast EV's are awesome, and I look forward to buying one someday.