Car talk tré: Carpocalypse Now!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

troyguitar wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:19 pm
Tarspin wrote:
Ok cool so I'm not crazy to be looking at these things with some reasonable interest. Being alive for half a century has its ups and downs, and surely the ying of a Prius would likely get offset with the yang of a ridiculously fun :wasteful: vehicle of some sort.

This calls into question the single car question? Would having Jack of All Trades single car solution be cheaper and more fun then a two car setup? Darn it, back to where I started lol
Isn't your car free because you use it for "business"? :rolleyes:
A 2019 Caddilac Escalade writes off for the same amount per km as a 2006 Toyota Prius. It's mileage based. But the miles i drive for personal will be increasing in the foreseeable future.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

dtraill27 wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:29 pm
Tarspin wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:10 pm 4-500 miles a week checking in for a headcount. 1.2/week fills per week, premium fuel, $50US per fill. All in I'm at like $3200/yr. Can I assume a prius cuts that in half? I mean that's not insignificant over eight years. I'll be Dirks age by the time i retire the :gorf: if things go well.

Hey Dirk you seem to have the same car values as I do, you able to not kill yourself if you drove a Prius or Hybrid Corolla or something?
I'm at that same mileage. 500 per week. $30 to fill $1900 for the year. But don't listen to me I drove the worst mid-size truck on the market and now the worst mid size sedan on the market.
:jelly:

Gas prices here are stupidly high here, plus premium is an extra 20%.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:30 pm Some commutes are more mind numbing that others. The more mind numbing the commute, the less anything matters other than comfort.....good HVAC, a good seat, a suspension that soaks up bumps, and good FE.
:like:

And in the near future autonomous driving.
dtraill27
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 Mazda 6

Tarspin wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:34 pm
dtraill27 wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:29 pm

I'm at that same mileage. 500 per week. $30 to fill $1900 for the year. But don't listen to me I drove the worst mid-size truck on the market and now the worst mid size sedan on the market.
:jelly:

Gas prices here are stupidly high here, plus premium is an extra 20%.
I need to fill up tonight. Prices were in the 2.40s is morning. Should be sub$30
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:19 pm This morning, someone commented that gas was cheap right now. I haven't been to a gas station in over a month.
:225: by me.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:21 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:19 pm This morning, someone commented that gas was cheap right now. I haven't been to a gas station in over a month.
I was then asked "where did you have to turn in your man card?" for commuting a Volt.

:truckyeah:
:rolleyes:

Comments like that from the :jalepenis: -compensating crowd are :fullretard:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

troyguitar wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:19 pm
Tarspin wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:10 pm 4-500 miles a week checking in for a headcount. 1.2/week fills per week, premium fuel, $50US per fill. All in I'm at like $3200/yr. Can I assume a prius cuts that in half? I mean that's not insignificant over eight years. I'll be Dirks age by the time i retire the :gorf: if things go well.

Hey Dirk you seem to have the same car values as I do, you able to not kill yourself if you drove a Prius or Hybrid Corolla or something?
I want to test the Ioniq at some point if I get another car. Slightly quicker and more efficient than the Prius, plus it has a real 6-speed DCT instead of a CVT. Car and Driver got 52 mpg real world at 75 mph on the highway in a higher trim (i.e. less efficient) version. $23k MSRP new with 100k warranty on the car and unlimited warranty on the battery seems :notbad:
It's a lot better looking, too, IMO.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Filled up the :truk: tonight for :tits:

$2.14 for 87 :notbad:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:21 pm I'm going with someone's biding time by throwing trumpbux at the petro industry to subsidize the price of fuel and buy the happiness of the :derp: contingent. :caspian:
It wouldn't surprise me in the least.

:disgust:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
wap

Detroit wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:24 pm
[user not found] wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:21 pm I'm going with someone's biding time by throwing trumpbux at the petro industry to subsidize the price of fuel and buy the happiness of the :derp: contingent. :caspian:
It wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Saudi Prince keeping prices low in exchange for Herr Cheeto looking the other way while he murders journalists.
dtraill27
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 Mazda 6

It's because the US is drilling and producing more than they import. Opec tried flooding the market before to crush prices to get us to stop but we didn't so now they can't jack up prices because they know we have our own supply
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

dtraill27 wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:09 am It's because the US is drilling and producing more than they import. Opec tried flooding the market before to crush prices to get us to stop but we didn't so now they can't jack up prices because they know we have our own supply
:dat:

also the economy is entering a bear phase, demand is low, reserves high.

not good for my region. I suspect they will begin iding crews right after xmas.
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

reserves brimmed, demand is meh, price goes down. This is macro 101 guys.
brain go brrrrrr
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

dtraill27 wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:09 am It's because the US is drilling and producing more than they import. Opec tried flooding the market before to crush prices to get us to stop but we didn't so now they can't jack up prices because they know we have our own supply
Crude oil export ban was lifted in 2015, so we can now play in world markets. We produce more crude oil than Saudi Arabia. Therefore we are the single biggest influence on world oil prices.

If OPEC jacks up prices, wells come back on in the Bakken formation based on domestic refining demand.

Brent is trading around $58/bbl. If it gets to $75 that's when you'll see Bakken come back in to the market in a larger way. There's a massive cost incentive at that point to run Bakken so it'll be in demand, and more wells will be tapped into for it. And prices of Brent will be forced down because fewer people will be buying it.

Also Canada DGAF, they are another massive oil producer and we have a great relationship with them.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

:impressive:

:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

razr390 wrote::impressive:

CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

razr390 wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:03 am :impressive:

I still think that front end redesign is fugly. Especially for the price of these cars.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:10 am
razr390 wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:03 am :impressive:

I still think that front end redesign is fugly. Especially for the price of these cars.
Those are Model 3’s
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

razr390 wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:15 am
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:10 am

Those are Model 3’s
Uh.. yeah.. I drive by the factory and see truckloads on I680 every day. :)

The same style duck nose is on the S too as of a couple years ago.
Johnny_P

I love the model 3 and would love to own one.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:29 am I love the model 3 and would love to own one.
I think I'm burnt out on all things Tesla having so many around here. Every time I see a 3 I think of the first gen Prius, they just look cheap to me and kind of out of proportion.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:29 am I love the model 3 and would love to own one.
Same.
ChrisoftheNorth

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:33 am
I think I'm burnt out on all things Tesla having so many around here. Every time I see a 3 I think of the first gen Prius, they just look cheap to me and kind of out of proportion.
I just want a reasonably priced, fun to drive electric car. Tesla is the only game in town for that right now. Even when the VAG stuff comes out, it'll all be too expensive I'm sure.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:04 am
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:33 am

I just want a reasonably priced, fun to drive electric car. Tesla is the only game in town for that right now. Even when the VAG stuff comes out, it'll all be too expensive I'm sure.
Basically this.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:05 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:04 am
Basically this.
Yeah, but even the Model 3 isn't really cheap... at least not the ones you can get today.

Sure, a model 3 performance is fast in a straight line, but 0.84 G on a skidpad means handling of a 1978 Trans Am (I am not shitting you). I just can't see that as "fun".