OT 14: No Luck for Old Men

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

troyguitar wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:02 pm
razr390 wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:56 pm

[user not found] was LUCKY to have parents that did well and helped him live a better life and he is passing those lessons onto his family and children.

ALSO,

It is possible to be LUCKY and also work hard and earn shit on your own.

Look at rich families. Some kids blow the money and don’t do shit and others elevate and do it better than their parents did.
He says there's no such thing as luck :doe: and that he earned everything all by himself, typical rich guy bootstrap talk as if equal effort ensures equal outcomes...
You are taking that well out of context. Just like I would be if I said you are lazy and won’t do shit with your life. In reality you and I both know there’s much more to it than that.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

troyguitar wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:47 pm Don't mind me, I'm just trying to get :[user not found]: to see that it's incredibly hypocritical to be all about making one's own way in life via hard work and bootstraps and whatnot when he got epic handouts from mommy and plans on doing the same for his kids.
There is truth in this statement.

My parents were legit poor as fuck when they were growing up. My grandfather worked in coal mines, construction jobs, enrolled in the navy, only had an 8th grade education because he had to work in the mines to supplement family income for food, etc. My mom and dad had nothing growing up in a very poor mining town.

Meanwhile I was brought up in good neighborhoods, good schools, always had food, always had a roof over my head and healthcare and went to college, etc. I know nothing about true hardships. I mean I've been poor before with only enough money to cover about 3 weeks of groceries but I had a job at that point and it was mostly due to an HR error that I didn't get paid for 6 weeks after starting work. So I had money coming just not available right away.

I can't say I made it where I am on my own. I think most of us can't make that claim, because I bet most of us ( :waxer: aside as he seems he really did do this on his own) leaned pretty heavily on our parents whether we want to admit it or not.
Johnny_P

razr390 wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:02 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:00 pm

:wrong:
You’re right. I am lucky that my parents helped me out with expenses and pay for my car, but they didn’t do shit in terms of earning me internships and the job I Currently have.
Also :wrong:
They raised you to be a good level headed boy, stay out of gang trouble, get decent grades, live responsibly, look presentable, etc. They carried your ass all the way to the front door of the interview building. They prepped you for this bruv.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Thedude wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:03 pm
KYGTIGuy wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:00 pm

Sounds good Dude. Good talk.
:sissyfight:

You took a strange position for an atheist on this one. So strange I was waiting for you to drop some piece of information that would blow my mind make me reconsider mine.
KY is on the Mormon train with me :doe:
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Even :waxer: was born a technically-minded straight white American dude with good health and people skills and a freakishly unnnatural ability to live on 2 hours of sleep per night in the right state at the right time to take advantage of unprecedented money-making opportunities, whether he was handed a bunch of cash to start with or not... The vast majority of humans cannot survive on his sleep levels no matter how hard they try. It's an unearned advantage or LUCK.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:02 pm
razr390 wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:56 pm

[user not found] was LUCKY to have parents that did well and helped him live a better life and he is passing those lessons onto his family and children.

ALSO,

It is possible to be LUCKY and also work hard and earn shit on your own.

Look at rich families. Some kids blow the money and don’t do shit and others elevate and do it better than their parents did.
He says there's no such thing as luck :doe: and that he earned everything all by himself, typical rich guy bootstrap talk as if equal effort ensures equal outcomes...
I have no idea how I got to where I am in my company.
razr390

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:09 pm
razr390 wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:02 pm

You’re right. I am lucky that my parents helped me out with expenses and pay for my car, but they didn’t do shit in terms of earning me internships and the job I Currently have.
They raised you to be a good level headed boy, stay out of gang trouble, get decent grades, live responsibly, look presentable, etc. They carried your ass all the way to the front door of the interview building. They prepped you for this bruv.
Naw, that’s just :alpo: luck
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Johnny_P

SAWCE wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:10 pm
Thedude wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:03 pm
:sissyfight:

You took a strange position for an atheist on this one. So strange I was waiting for you to drop some piece of information that would blow my mind make me reconsider mine.
Isn't 1 pair of :tits: enough of a headache? :notsure:
Johnny_P

razr390 wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:10 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:09 pm

Naw, that’s just :alpo: luck
Had to get the :alpo: from somewhere :trollface:
troyguitar

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:11 pm
One pair with a headache is the reason to have another pair on hand.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:11 pm

I dunno, it could be good but could be :nuke: :nuke: :nuke: if it's bad.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

troyguitar wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:18 pm
wap wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:16 pm
:fuckyeah: samsies :sissyfight:

What :triggered: me when we get the do you have kids question is the sad, sympathetic looks on peoples faces as if it's some tragedy that we're enduring. :gtfo: with your unneeded sympathy :bruh:
How old do you have to get before they stop with the "You'll change your mind" garbage and instead switch from condescension to pity?
At 47 we still get it from time to time, but I feel, and people say we look younger than we are.
razr390

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:12 pm
troyguitar wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:11 pm

have there been any more :nuke: with Lisa?
Johnny_P

razr390 wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:15 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:12 pm

have there been any more :nuke: with Lisa?
She's a woman so yes?

Less so than prior, doe.

Ugh. On Sunday her clinically insane godparents are coming over for dinner. It's going to be a complete shit show. I should really just make myself unavailable but it would hurt Lisa's feelings if I did so :rolleyes:
SAWCE

troyguitar wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:10 pm Even :waxer: was born a technically-minded straight white American dude with good health and people skills and a freakishly unnnatural ability to live on 2 hours of sleep per night in the right state at the right time to take advantage of unprecedented money-making opportunities, whether he was handed a bunch of cash to start with or not... The vast majority of humans cannot survive on his sleep levels no matter how hard they try. It's an unearned advantage or LUCK.
That, or he's trained his body to run on that little sleep. While not something I'd recommend, your body is incredibly adaptive, and someone could probably get used to that little sleep within a matter of months. The long-term effects on your health though are going to be :disgust:
SAWCE

We're real Mormons, not those Fundamentalist-LDS people out in Texas or whatever.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Calvinball wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:20 pm I could probably count the number of times I’ve asked someone if they have kids on one hand, who is asking you guys that question?

Sent from the Beer Depository
Tons of people. Remember, my wife is a teacher, so we run into her students both current and past just about anytime we go anywhere, and their parents will usually ask. When we go to any event and socialize, all the breeders want to do is talk about their kids. After they exhaust their cache of "adorable moments" they often ask about our kids, unless they are completely self centered.

That happened at my Brother-In-Law's wedding in June where I was the best man. At the reception everyone had to introduce themselves to us (we knew 4 people at the wedding, including the Bride and my Bro-In-Law) and it was kind of overwhelming. After getting kinda cornered about it with a group of guys at the bar after quite a few drinks my B-I-L said, oh, he's got awesome kids and told me to bust out my phone. So I showed the guys my Z06, Harley, Ducati, the ZR2 and a bunch of my guns.

:hue:
razr390

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:18 pm
razr390 wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:15 pm have there been any more :nuke: with Lisa?
She's a woman so yes?

Less so than prior, doe.

Ugh. On Sunday her clinically insane godparents are coming over for dinner. It's going to be a complete shit show. I should really just make myself unavailable but it would hurt Lisa's feelings if I did so :rolleyes:
You can crash @ my house and we can beer.
troyguitar

razr390 wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:15 pm have there been any more :nuke: with Lisa?
She's a woman so yes?

Less so than prior, doe.

:disgust:

I love living far enough away from both of our families that I rarely have to socialize. Going to another continent would be even better.
razr390

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:22 pm
Calvinball wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:20 pm I could probably count the number of times I’ve asked someone if they have kids on one hand, who is asking you guys that question?

Sent from the Beer Depository
Tons of people. Remember, my wife is a teacher, so we run into her students both current and past just about anytime we go anywhere, and their parents will usually ask. When we go to any event and socialize, all the breeders want to do is talk about their kids. After they exhaust their cache of "adorable moments" they often ask about our kids, unless they are completely self centered.

That happened at my Brother-In-Law's wedding in June where I was the best man. At the reception everyone had to introduce themselves to us (we knew 4 people at the wedding, including the Bride and my Bro-In-Law) and it was kind of overwhelming. After getting kinda cornered about it with a group of guys at the bar after quite a few drinks my B-I-L said, oh, he's got awesome kids and told me to bust out my phone. So I showed the guys my Z06, Harley, Ducati, the ZR2 and a bunch of my guns.

Way to go bro, you got really lucky. Didn’t work hard at all whatsoever.
Johnny_P

razr390 wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:22 pm

She's a woman so yes?

Less so than prior, doe.

You can crash @ my house and we can beer.
in
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:18 pm
troyguitar wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:10 pm Even :waxer: was born a technically-minded straight white American dude with good health and people skills and a freakishly unnnatural ability to live on 2 hours of sleep per night in the right state at the right time to take advantage of unprecedented money-making opportunities, whether he was handed a bunch of cash to start with or not... The vast majority of humans cannot survive on his sleep levels no matter how hard they try. It's an unearned advantage or LUCK.
That, or he's trained his body to run on that little sleep. While not something I'd recommend, your body is incredibly adaptive, and someone could probably get used to that little sleep within a matter of months. The long-term effects on your health though are going to be :disgust:
It's an average of somewhere around 4 hours a night with an hour nap in the afternoon. If I work from home I get about 6, maybe 7 hours.

I've done this for 17 years now and yes.... it is getting old, but in the beginning I was a zombie and could have used more than just the caffeine I was processing.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:22 pm

She's a woman so yes?

Less so than prior, doe.

:disgust:

I love living far enough away from both of our families that I rarely have to socialize. Going to another continent would be even better.
I'd be OK if I never had to interact with them again. Mostly just her godmother. Pretty sure she is taking pills for schizophrenia.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

razr390 wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:23 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:22 pm

Work, what's that?

I just went to the bank to open an account when I was 18 and they gave me an account with a balance and a credit card that never needs to be paid and has no limit. Didn't you all get that?
razr390

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:26 pm
razr390 wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:23 pm

Work, what's that?

I just went to the bank to open an account when I was 18 and they gave me an account with a balance and a credit card that never needs to be paid and has no limit. Didn't you all get that?
Wow. Some men get a wife that makes $100k + for them. Catch up with the times old man.