Home chat 1.0

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!

How do you house, brah?

Own it
67%
Rent it
19%
:crang: in mom's basement
10%
:dong: grabbing frat house
2%
At school
No votes
I'm nomadic
2%

Total votes: 42
Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Built 4Runner & Pontiac Vibe

I’m hoping they can figure out how to get home prices back in line. Our home is worth 1.5x what we bought it for like 5-6 years ago (not factoring in updates and improvements). That’s all fine and great, if we wanted to sell and move to somewhere cheap to live. Since we don’t it just means we pay more in property tax after it was reassessed by the local gubment and a second home/vacation rental property in the mountains are to expensive to buy right now. I need prices to come back to reality so I can buy another house.
www.aguyagirlandatrail.com
instagram.com/aguyagirlandatrail
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Dbest wrote:I’m hoping they can figure out how to get home prices back in line. Our home is worth 1.5x what we bought it for like 5-6 years ago (not factoring in updates and improvements). That’s all fine and great, if we wanted to sell and move to somewhere cheap to live. Since we don’t it just means we pay more in property tax after it was reassessed by the local gubment and a second home/vacation rental property in the mountains are to expensive to buy right now. I need prices to come back to reality so I can buy another house.
Inflation :doe:
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

KYGTIGuy wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 2:33 pm This will keep happening as long as their is a false floor for big banks.

If the market truly was allowed to correct in 2008, I doubt this would be happening again so soon.

This is how you know most free marketers, at least those in a position to matter, don't really believe in laissez faire.

When the money is going their way, let it flow. But when the margin calls....
:dat:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote:
Tarspin wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 3:20 pm Inflation :doe:
No increase in wages, doe. :flaccid:
Yeah man. Rich folks buy things and profit.
Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Built 4Runner & Pontiac Vibe

Info a new Fuc-U-Rabbit-5000 high velocity .22 caliber pellet gun. Once they ate the transmission wiring harness on the Jetta I decided it’s on. Fixing the rabbit problem before the new yard goes in so they don’t fuck the new one the way they did the old one.

www.aguyagirlandatrail.com
instagram.com/aguyagirlandatrail
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

Contractor just left. Brand New basement bathroom quote $17,3.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

[user not found] wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 7:40 pm
KYGTIGuy wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 6:50 pm Contractor just left. Brand New basement bathroom quote $17,3.
:wat:
:dat:
Get a quote on just the rough-in and do the rest yourself for a FRACTION of $17k
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

We can't get anyone in the house to even quote this job, much less a rough in.

This is under what we budgeted so we are cool but I feel uneasy without a second quote but this guy comes highly recommend.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

KYGTIGuy wrote:Contractor just left. Brand New basement bathroom quote $17,3.
That's not unheard of for bathrooms. They are stupid expensive. My wife's Nona always said that her mom should marry a lawyer or a plumber.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Tarspin wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 11:33 pm
KYGTIGuy wrote:Contractor just left. Brand New basement bathroom quote $17,3.
That's not unheard of for bathrooms. They are stupid expensive. My wife's Nona always said that her mom should marry a lawyer or a plumber.
I think in this case that's true. Gotta tear up a lot of concrete slab to get the pipes down for the shower, stool and washing machine. Our mechanical room is in there too. We are putting in some nice fixtures as well.

There was no bathroom there before or I think I may have just handled the remod myself.

I like Waps idea but I know I wouldn't be able to finish it in a reasonable time. At this point in our lives at this moment, it's worth it to have it bid out.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 10:33 am
Johnny_P wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 10:28 am

Yeah. Its nuts right now. Housing prices are out of control. So the gov solution is to ease regulations that curb subprime lending instead of letting the market adjust itself as people get declined for mortgages that are out of their reach. Great. What could possibly go wrong?

When I was looking at houses a couple years back, I was :shock: at the amount they approved me for. Hellllllll no.
It makes zero sense. Insanity everywhere, and this isn't going to fix anything.

A coworker just accepted a field job in Montana. He said he's been looking at houses, and there's pretty much nothing worth buying under $350k. In fucking MONTANA.

:wtf: :doomed:
It's not like the whole state is the same bro. If you buy in Missoula, you are in a college town where the river literally runs through it. Bozeman? Ever snarkier. Billings? You're out on the Prairie with the remains of George Armstrong Custer. And housing is priced accordingly.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Desertbreh wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 1:38 am
Detroit wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 10:33 am
It makes zero sense. Insanity everywhere, and this isn't going to fix anything.

A coworker just accepted a field job in Montana. He said he's been looking at houses, and there's pretty much nothing worth buying under $350k. In fucking MONTANA.

:wtf: :doomed:
It's not like the whole state is the same bro. If you buy in Missoula, you are in a college town where the river literally runs through it. Bozeman? Ever snarkier. Billings? You're out on the Prairie with the remains of George Armstrong Custer. And housing is priced accordingly.
:bruh:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

[user not found] wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 3:25 pm
Tarspin wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 3:20 pm Inflation :doe:
Last 3 years I've got like 2.5-3% increase in wages.
Meanwhile beers are $7 when they used to be $4
Burgers are $14 when they used to be $8
Comcast feels the need to tack on an extra $10 for no reason each year
Home property values keep getting reassessed in Philly so property tax doubled for a lot of people last year
Bus fare went from $1.80 to $2.50
Etc etc etc

:sad:
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 9:50 am

Home property values keep getting reassessed in Philly so property tax doubled for a lot of people last year
Etc etc etc

If you're talking about Comcast cable TV. Look into PS Vue or the new DirecTV streaming service. No equipment or taxes or BS charges.. no commitment.

Not bad if you need tv.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Etc etc etc

Comcast actually sent me a letter last month telling me they were cutting my rate by $20 since Gigabit is now more standard and they have lowered the price.

First time EVER that I've seen a cable or satellite company cut a bill in the last 29 years of being a subscriber.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

KYGTIGuy wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 10:17 am
Etc etc etc

If you're talking about Comcast cable TV. Look into PS Vue or the new DirecTV streaming service. No equipment or taxes or BS charges.. no commitment.

Not bad if you need tv.
Been there, tried it.

If you don't give a shit about quality or having surround sound and watch on a small screen I guess it's "okay", but the trial to PSVue and SlingTV both only lasted about 7 days for me, sling even less since you couldn't do some trickmode ffwd/rwd.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 10:28 am
KYGTIGuy wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 10:17 am

Not bad if you need tv.
Been there, tried it.

If you don't give a shit about quality or having surround sound and watch on a small screen I guess it's "okay", but the trial to PSVue and SlingTV both only lasted about 7 days for me, sling even less since you couldn't do some trickmode ffwd/rwd.
Might be true but I never had those issues. Quality never was an issue on my 60 inch and I only had it for live sports so sound also wasn't an issue.

Going to reup for the world cup and then cancel once that's over.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

KYGTIGuy wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 10:33 am
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 10:28 am

Been there, tried it.

Might be true but I never had those issues. Quality never was an issue on my 60 inch and I only had it for live sports so sound also wasn't an issue.

I could never get a good panning shot on sports with them, but I am extra sensitive to it and it bugs the hell out of me ALMOST as much as people that leave their 4K displays with Soap Opera mode enabled.

Also, they limit the bitrate to 5mbps on the streams which is pretty shiity overall and will have a lot of compression artifacts.
ChrisoftheNorth

Etc etc etc

Yea, some serious :bs: IMO. Wage stagnation should be considered a bigger problem than it is.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 10:42 am
KYGTIGuy wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 10:33 am

I could never get a good panning shot on sports with them, but I am extra sensitive to it and it bugs the hell out of me ALMOST as much as people that leave their 4K displays with Soap Opera mode enabled.

Also, they limit the bitrate to 5mbps on the streams which is pretty shiity overall and will have a lot of compression artifacts.
Definitely see what you're saying. There were around but I didn't notice it more than when I had old fashioned DirecTV.

What service do you currently have?
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

KYGTIGuy wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 11:01 am
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 10:42 am

Definitely see what you're saying. There were around but I didn't notice it more than when I had old fashioned DirecTV.

What service do you currently have?
I have Comcast as part of the bundle, but never watch their TV service, will cancel it once it doesn't qualify me for a discount. Right now on this promo for another year, having the TV service with my Gigabit internet has me paying $30 less per month than just the internet package. I get full HD streams for shows the wife wants and for live network broadcast I use an OTA antenna I mounted in my attic. I'm 20 miles from the broadcast towers as the crow flies with no big buildings in the way.... It's actually all farmland and water from the delta, so I get a very strong signal even with the antenna under my tile shingles.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

I need to call Cox or AT&T Uverse today to get something set up for when I move on Saturday..
ChrisoftheNorth

We have a local ISP so I never have to pay Comcast another dime. Ever. It's my life goal to never pay Comcast ever again.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 11:57 am We have a local ISP so I never have to pay Comcast another dime. Ever. It's my life goal to never pay Comcast ever again.
If I had another option for actually fast internet I would do the same.

It's Comcast with gigabit, or UVerse with 50mbit.

Or, spend ~$200k to have the fiber ring in my area extended 2 miles to my house and get 10gbit
ChrisoftheNorth

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 12:02 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 11:57 am We have a local ISP so I never have to pay Comcast another dime. Ever. It's my life goal to never pay Comcast ever again.
If I had another option for actually fast internet I would do the same.

It's Comcast with gigabit, or UVerse with 50mbit.

Or, spend ~$200k to have the fiber ring in my area extended 2 miles to my house and get 10gbit
Uverse is AT&T Fiber here. gigabit+ sometimes. I figured you'd have easy access to fiber.

I tried to get AT&T Fiber and they proved to be just as bad as Comcast from a customer service standpoint. :nope:

We've got 70mbit for $50/mo (don't need to call and play the game for promo rates either) from our local ISP and that's good enough for what we actually need. Never had an issue with internet speeds, streaming, etc.