Car Talk 2: Un-American Motor Company.

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

[user not found] wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:54 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:49 pm
V6? :disgust:
BMW doesn't do V6s, and BMW also won't fit an inline 6 in their FWD-based architecture.
Exactly my point.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

Thanks for posting that up. A good honest head to head test. No shock at the result but I think Id pick the Honda as coupe.
ChrisoftheNorth

The Honduh just looks so :disgust: I love the understated GTI. Always have, always will.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:33 pm Eh, I have always wanted an MR hatchback that looks cool and sounds cool with ~300 hp NA engine, ~3000 lbs and compact dimensions, etc. Essentially a Cayman S. It's been the "realistic dream car" since they came out.

RX8 is perfect for the price, any upgrade costs at least double. I still want a Cayman.
Caymans are indeed fantastic.
If they would just depreciate...

I'm hoping that another couple years of saving+depreciation will put them in the reasonable range. A base 5-speed 2007 model is finally under $20k and looks+sounds the same as a 2016 GTS. That's likely my target. Add some fun bits and end up with a GT4-lite.

The good thing is that I'm essentially done spending on my car now besides fuel+oil+tires. It's quick, clean, and handles perfectly. Warranty through the end of 2019, no payments, and insurance is cheap.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:11 pm
Detroit wrote: Caymans are indeed fantastic.
If they would just depreciate...

I'm hoping that another couple years of saving+depreciation will put them in the reasonable range. A base 5-speed 2007 model is finally under $20k and looks+sounds the same as a 2016 GTS. That's likely my target. Add some fun bits and end up with a GT4-lite.

The good thing is that I'm essentially done spending on my car now besides fuel+oil+tires. It's quick, clean, and handles perfectly. Warranty through the end of 2019, no payments, and insurance is cheap.
I missed this detail. :notbad:

I wonder where Caymans will bottom. It took 10 years for them to consistently get under $20k. Hopefully IMS bearing fears continue to drive the pre-09 cars down as more "reliable" cars get more affordable.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:14 pm

Whooooooops.

Bippity boppity flippity!
Was he auto-crossing a Tracker?
Davestr
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

- X2 road test in Cali
troyguitar

Detroit wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:11 pm If they would just depreciate...

I missed this detail. :notbad:

I wonder where Caymans will bottom. It took 10 years for them to consistently get under $20k. Hopefully IMS bearing fears continue to drive the pre-09 cars down as more "reliable" cars get more affordable.
It wouldn't surprise me if $15-20k turns out to be the bottom for a clean title no issues manual Cayman. Porsche is not making any more NA 6 cylinder examples, and the cars are relatively rare in general.

I think/hope I'll be OK with that (sounds cheap but I'd be putting $10k in MODZZZ on one) after 2-3 more years of :scrooge: lyfe. Wife's car will be paid off in 2020, that's another $400/mo. :iono: :fullretard:
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:06 pm The Honduh just looks so :disgust: I love the understated GTI. Always have, always will.
:dat:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Sucks that VW raised the entry bar for the PP-equipped GTI so high for 2018. Now you need to step up to the SE trim to get the fancy diff, which comes out to ~$31.5k with :plaid: seats. :manuel: GTI Sport was right at $28k before any add-ons, and a much more reasonable premium to pay over the Si. At $31.5k that starts to be a pretty significant price gap.
troyguitar

coogles wrote:
Sucks that VW raised the entry bar for the PP-equipped GTI so high for 2018. Now you need to step up to the SE trim to get the fancy diff, which comes out to ~$31.5k with :plaid: seats. :manuel: GTI Sport was right at $28k before any add-ons, and a much more reasonable premium to pay over the Si. At $31.5k that starts to be a pretty significant price gap.

You also can't get LSD without a sunroof anymore. The Sport trim was perfect. $31.5k for what is effectively a base :turboyaris: is insane. Give me the Focus ST with recarbros and $5k cash, or really... an Ecoballz Rustang with 350 ft-lbs and RWD.
wap

coogles wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:41 pm
There must be some :dill: 's to be had :doe: , no?
wap

Also, this:
https://www.craigslist.org/about/best/h ... 26716.html
:lolol:
When this car was unveiled at the 1998 Detroit Auto Show, it caused all 2,000 attendees to spontaneously yawn. The resulting abrupt change in air pressure inside the building caused a partial collapse of the roof. Four people died. The event is chronicled in the documentary "Bored to Death: The Story of the 1999 Toyota Corolla"
More lulz to be found within.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:53 pm Also, this:
https://www.craigslist.org/about/best/h ... 26716.html
:lolol:
When this car was unveiled at the 1998 Detroit Auto Show, it caused all 2,000 attendees to spontaneously yawn. The resulting abrupt change in air pressure inside the building caused a partial collapse of the roof. Four people died. The event is chronicled in the documentary "Bored to Death: The Story of the 1999 Toyota Corolla"
More lulz to be found within.
:amazing: This is incredible.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:19 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:16 pm
Was he auto-crossing a Tracker?
Abarth 500.
Same thing.
troyguitar

Detroit wrote:
[user not found] wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:19 pm Abarth 500.
Same thing.

Cool cars, but I would not autox one without making it lower+stiffer. They are scary to watch in stock trim on sticky tires.
wap

Detroit wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:05 pm
[user not found] wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:19 pm

Abarth 500.
Same thing.
:howdareu:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

wap wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:51 pm There must be some :dill: 's to be had :doe: , no?
Not like there were at the end of the 2017 model year. VeeDub currently only offering $1k in dealer cash on the 2018s. There was $4k or more available on the leftover 2017s.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:11 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:05 pm
Same thing.
:howdareu:
I mean, you sit in it so upright, it's like a tiny SUV. I can't imagine driving one in an auto-x. It would constantly feel like tipping.

:nope:
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

coogles wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:41 pm
If the Si depreciates as slow as it has in the past, that price gap just widens more and more.
Kinda wish the Si didn't have the baby dick motor though. Whatever. Still think they're idiots for not offering some sort of automatic in that.
Desertbreh

wap wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:26 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:01 pm

Also, although there are strong styling similarities between the C5 and RX7, the RX7 is a way better looking car imho.
Didn't want to go there on this site, but I don't disagree. :yikes:
There's a fair number of C5 uber alles brohams out there....and I don't think that car will stand the test of time in the way that the C2 did. It was a magical reinvention of the Corvette from a world class handling and power perspective....any C5 can be set up to run strong at any track and the car is 19 years old....but looks wise...eh. Not the best, not the worst. And the interior is just fucking atrocious, other than the gauge cluster.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:39 pm

There's a fair number of C5 uber alles brohams out there....and I don't think that car will stand the test of time in the way that the C2 did. It was a magical reinvention of the Corvette from a world class handling and power perspective....any C5 can be set up to run strong at any track and the car is 19 years old....but looks wise...eh. Not the best, not the worst. And the interior is just fucking atrocious, other than the gauge cluster.
:triggered: :triggered: :triggered:
:triggered: :howdareu: :triggered:
:triggered: :triggered: :triggered:
ChrisoftheNorth

I legit like the exterior. Looks better than a base C6 (WB has it beat, doe).

Interior is...not great, agreed. But :aintcare: when it's 5/7 times :burnout:
troyguitar

Desertbreh wrote:

I know that I'm :wrong: but looks-wise I rate corvettes like so:

4 >= 2 > 6 > 7 > 3 > 1 > 5

90s gumby blobs are not sexy.
Last edited by troyguitar on Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Davestr wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:47 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:22 pm
It should be the most fun to drive of any in that segment. Sounds like it's kind of there.

Also, other than MOAR BADGES what makes the X2 different from the X1 other than styling?
I will test this thing soon. My dealer is happy to toss me the keys next time the M2 goes in for a routine service. From what I read and see the X2 is lower and shorter than the X1 and is more 'dynamic'. I hope someone does them a head to head test. Bloody expensive Golf-R it seems, touch more room and the BMW name/badge etc. Im not a big CUV fan but I am curious about this particular one as far as how it drives. The rumor of a 6cyl one is interesting.
I'd be interested to hear your take on it. I don't really understand the "sporty" CUV segment but in basic terms this is a compact, correctly-sized CUV hatchback with an actual motor that makes appreciable power for everyday use, an actual transmission, available AWD, and possibly pothole resistance? Should check a lot of boxes as just a regular runabout. Doubt it's actually sporty at all.

Many of the CUVs on the market today don't have real engine options. Which is sad.