Career Chat

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Desertbreh wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:24 pm
SAWCE wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:18 am

Sorry, I don’t think I’ve explained this well.

We both want/like the idea of leaving San Diego. We were set on doing so until she found out about the potential with Sharp. It’s a dream job for her, and would make staying here worth it to her, so I told her to pursue it and if she gets it I’ll be happy staying here with her and I’ll just work on finding a better career out here myself.
I see I was confused on the back and forth between Portland and Sharp.
:thumbsup:
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Desertbreh wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:24 pm

We both want/like the idea of leaving San Diego. We were set on doing so until she found out about the potential with Sharp. It’s a dream job for her, and would make staying here worth it to her, so I told her to pursue it and if she gets it I’ll be happy staying here with her and I’ll just work on finding a better career out here myself.
I see I was confused on the back and forth between Portland and Sharp.
God damn it. I object
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
razr390

[user not found] wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:27 pm I tendered my resignation this evening from BMW.

I finished the official e-mail with an auf wiedersehen.

I think that was appropriate. :trollface:
send us a copy :hue:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

razr390 wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:47 pm
[user not found] wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:27 pm I tendered my resignation this evening from BMW.

send us a copy :hue:
simple:
[user not found]'s Resignation Letter wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:27 pm To Whom It May Concern,

Auf wiedersehen, and choke on a Hahnfleischsandwich.

Z
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

:bravo:
:hue:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Desertbreh wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:54 am

Dude, your lady is reaching out to accomodate your wanderlust, and she's succeeding. You keep reeling her back in and you're going to find yourself in trouble. Two people can't find perfect jobs simultaneously. You need to have real talk about where you want to be.

Dream jobs rarely end up as such. I really think it's wise for you two to prioritize where you want to be. If it's SD, then so be it. It's just incredible the life you can live outside of CA.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
razr390

Detroit wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:18 am

Dream jobs rarely end up as such. I really think it's wise for you two to prioritize where you want to be. If it's SD, then so be it. It's just incredible the life you can live outside of CA.
SD to Portland wouldn’t be much of a difference other than environment. That city within itself has huge costs of living, etc.
razr390

[user not found] wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:14 am
razr390 wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:19 am SD to Portland wouldn’t be much of a difference other than environment. That city within itself has huge costs of living, etc.
:wat: Portland is WAY cheaper. A quick search shows 20% cost of living savings.
I think the better argument was SD or Portland versus Meatchicken.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

But if you're going to be "stuck" in CA, Man Diego is the place to do it.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
SAWCE

Desertbreh wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:13 pm
:dat:
SAWCE

[user not found] wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:14 am
razr390 wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:19 am SD to Portland wouldn’t be much of a difference other than environment. That city within itself has huge costs of living, etc.
:wat: Portland is WAY cheaper. A quick search shows 20% cost of living savings.
:dat:
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:13 pm
No question. Just saying, I've done the "dream job" thing before. Enough to realize that "dream jobs" don't really exist. I would pick a place I liked living first, then let the job fit that. I know that's easier said than done, doe.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
datgrundle
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Tits and ass to the DFD

SAWCE wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:38 pm So Michelle got an interview for a job up in Portland yesterday. Last night her dad also told her that someone from the Board of Directors at Sharp Healthcare out here asked for her resume after talking to him. She interned at Sharp and loves it there. That would be a dream job for her. I was/am excited about the possibility of leaving San Diego, but if she gets an offer there, it'll be too good to pass up in terms of quality of life and happiness/fulfillment from work. Which, let's keep it real, that's the only reason people get into social work since the pay will always be low. Switching to a private company like that will definitely give her more pay, and she'll be able to get her license while she's there which will open up more doors and pay opportunities.

After hearing that, I applied to a job out here this morning. My major complaint with where I work now is the commute. New job would be about 5 minutes from our place, which would be a huge game-changer for my happiness level staying out here. Currently I sit in traffic for about 2 hours a day, so cutting that down to even 20 minutes would be awesome.

But then at work this morning, I get told by a higher-up, that we have a new person starting on Tuesday, and she's going to shadow me for a while and then eventually take over some of what I do now because they know they can utilize me for a lot more.. I'm assuming (mostly hoping) that that would come with additional money, so I'd have to weigh that against any potential job offers and decide if the extra money would make the commute more worth while.
datgrundle
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Tits and ass to the DFD

How'd it all go down? Did they understand?
razr390

datgrundle wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:12 am

I assumed they were pretty mad about the “fuck you” sign off but they’ll be aight
wap

razr390 wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:17 am

I assumed they were pretty mad about the “fuck you” sign off but they’ll be aight
:lolol:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote:
Desertbreh wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:13 pm But if you're going to be "stuck" in CA, Man Diego is the place to do it.
No question. Just saying, I've done the "dream job" thing before. Enough to realize that "dream jobs" don't really exist. I would pick a place I liked living first, then let the job fit that. I know that's easier said than done, doe.
I disagree to an extent, my job was sort of a dream I never knew I had and it delivered everything and more. Am I a bit tired of it now? Sure, and I'm looking around for new things. It's still been an amazing experience to get to see more of the country than I ever would've otherwise.

The dream may not last forever and it may not align with your values 10 years down the line, but that doesn't mean it isn't worth pursuing.

Everything is a compromise though. The goal is to find happiness and there's much more too that than just work. Things like where you live, who you live with, what you do in time outside of work really matter. How does a job make those other things the way you want them or close? Find a balance that works for you.

This is why I recently turned down my dream "promotion", because it's not worth relocating and ultimately being poor due to cost of living and leaving a ton of great stuff behind, just for a job. I think at 22 it would've been worth it for me but now not so much.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:18 pm
Detroit wrote:
I disagree to an extent, my job was sort of a dream I never knew I had and it delivered everything and more. Am I a bit tired of it now? Sure, and I'm looking around for new things. It's still been an amazing experience to get to see more of the country than I ever would've otherwise.

The dream may not last forever and it may not align with your values 10 years down the line, but that doesn't mean it isn't worth pursuing.

Everything is a compromise though. The goal is to find happiness and there's much more too that than just work. Things like where you live, who you live with, what you do in time outside of work really matter. How does a job make those other things the way you want them or close? Find a balance that works for you.

This is why I recently turned down my dream "promotion", because it's not worth relocating and ultimately being poor due to cost of living and leaving a ton of great stuff behind, just for a job. I think at 22 it would've been worth it for me but now not so much.
This was essentially my point.

To make a life change simply in pursuit of a "dream job" is somewhat folly. It's all about balance.
SAWCE

Detroit wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:21 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:18 pm

To make a life change simply in pursuit of a "dream job" is somewhat folly. It's all about balance.
:word: We wouldn't me making a life change for this dream job of hers. Our life would simply stay the same instead of relocating. I'd spend a bit more time at my current job to beef up my resume and try to get more money out of it, then we'd decided on what part of San Diego we want to live in, move there, and then I'd look for something close to home if just moving doesn't fix my current commute. We don't hate San Diego, and if it was more affordable, we would definitely love to stay here. But the COL can be brought down by moving east a bit and being more inland, which we would likely do if we're here long term. Something like La Mesa.
ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:29 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:21 pm

:word: We wouldn't me making a life change for this dream job of hers. Our life would simply stay the same instead of relocating. I'd spend a bit more time at my current job to beef up my resume and try to get more money out of it, then we'd decided on what part of San Diego we want to live in, move there, and then I'd look for something close to home if just moving doesn't fix my current commute. We don't hate San Diego, and if it was more affordable, we would definitely love to stay here. But the COL can be brought down by moving east a bit and being more inland, which we would likely do if we're here long term. Something like La Mesa.
in a way, staying put is a major life change.

I think you'd be surprised how much more you can get out of life when you live somewhere with cheaper COL. Income doesn't change that much, yet disposable does.
SAWCE

Detroit wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:34 pm

I think you'd be surprised how much more you can get out of life when you live somewhere with cheaper COL. Income doesn't change that much, yet disposable does.
Right, but then it's not technically a change, just maintaining. We're already at a place in our lives where we're living comfortably within our means, so any raises that happen faster than the rate of inflation will increase disposable income.

I get the point you're making though.
SAWCE

Just ran some numbers.. Should be able to increase contributions to all my retirement accounts by 1% with this raise, stash an extra $100 in my actual savings each month, and have a few extra buck left over from what I'm currently making.
ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:54 pm Just ran some numbers.. Should be able to increase contributions to all my retirement accounts by 1% with this raise, stash an extra $100 in my actual savings each month, and have a few extra buck left over from what I'm currently making.
:notbad: :fuckyeah:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:34 pm

:word:

This is why I couldn't take that other offer from my company, when I actually looked at it and thought about what it would mean to my lifestyle, it was :mindblown: :poop:

I don't make all that much money, but less than 30% of my take home goes to bills and the rest is just :troywax: :fuckyeah: . I'm not about giving that up.

I take a lot of trips to CA and enjoy it a lot every year, but I don't have to pay the price for it.

San Diego is :fuckyeah: :doe: , so :iono: I think if the further east thing could be made to work without terrible commutes it would be a nice compromise, but that's for them to decide of course.
wap

[user not found] wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:50 pm

I guess? I can’t imagine I’ll see my accrued PTO but whatever.

After one day at the new place, I should’ve made this move months ago.

They looked at me like I had two heads when I asked what time the Saturday morning meeting was. There is no meeting. And if there is, it’s at 9am.
:fuckyeah:
In4moredeetsonnewjerb

Glad your early impressions are positive. :like: