Dem bicicletas, doe

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

https://cnj.craigslist.org/bik/d/crazy- ... 69974.html
Girl friend axed gram in several pieces, so frame is junk . All other parts are good and like new bike was only ridden hand full of times make me an offer

:impressive:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Johnny_P wrote:https://cnj.craigslist.org/bik/d/crazy- ... 69974.html
Girl friend axed gram in several pieces, so frame is junk . All other parts are good and like new bike was only ridden hand full of times make me an offer

:impressive:
Holy hell. That's one crazy-ass bitch.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

But their carbon was supposed to be lead lined....
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

coogles wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:57 pm 11 days left until the BGI Spring Expo.
9 days.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Gents, help me out here. Unless something changes over the next 9 days, I plan on picking up a Giant Fathom 1 27.5 a week from Friday.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/fathom-1

As much as I'd love to dump $4k on a TA2, priorities being what they are the budget is more or less in the $1,500 range. I think I've settled on the Fathom because:
  • Will be on sale for 15% off come the 16th, so easily fits into the budget
  • I don't really want a more traditional XC bike - I'm not racing - I really just want to get rowdy on some singletrack
  • Bike friend rides a hardtail, so if I'm on a 140mm travel bike we probably won't be having fun on the same trails, anyway
  • Mostly nice specs - full SLX groupset, dropper, same alloy wheels as on the Trance 2, Aluxx SL, just a meh fork
  • 27.5 instead of 29, with standard width tires. I've only had one run on a Scott Genius with 27.5x2.8 tires, but I wasn't a fan
In a dream scenario this thing would come in Boost 148 with a wheelset having a 30mm ID so I could run a 2.5" Maxxis WT DHF up front and a 2.4" WT DHR II in the back, but I could still run those tires in the regular 2.3" width.

Seems all the other trail-oriented hardtails are 27.5x2.8 or larger. Some are even 29x3.0. :mindblown: Anything else I should be considering?
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:05 pm Gents, help me out here. Unless something changes over the next 9 days, I plan on picking up a Giant Fathom 1 27.5 a week from Friday.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/fathom-1

As much as I'd love to dump $4k on a TA2, priorities being what they are the budget is more or less in the $1,500 range. I think I've settled on the Fathom because:
  • Will be on sale for 15% off come the 16th, so easily fits into the budget
  • I don't really want a more traditional XC bike - I'm not racing - I really just want to get rowdy on some singletrack
  • Bike friend rides a hardtail, so if I'm on a 140mm travel bike we probably won't be having fun on the same trails, anyway
  • Mostly nice specs - full SLX groupset, dropper, same alloy wheels as on the Trance 2, Aluxx SL, just a meh fork
  • 27.5 instead of 29, with standard width tires. I've only had one run on a Scott Genius with 27.5x2.8 tires, but I wasn't a fan
In a dream scenario this thing would come in Boost 148 with a wheelset having a 30mm ID so I could run a 2.5" Maxxis WT DHF up front and a 2.4" WT DHR II in the back, but I could still run those tires in the regular 2.3" width.

Seems all the other trail-oriented hardtails are 27.5x2.8 or larger. Some are even 29x3.0. :mindblown: Anything else I should be considering?
A friend of mine has one. He likes it. I think it looks rad. :doit:
FWIW I don't think those new suntour air forks suck as much as you might be led to believe. They've been getting solid reviews. But even then you can upgrade it later on for not too much money. This bike looks a little less XC than typical. Kind of like a Kona Honzo.

You can have fun on a FS if someone in the group is on a hardtail. I'm usually the hardtail guy in my friends group and we all still have a great time.

Just be real about what you want. If you want a hardtail this looks pretty nice.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P

So first ride today on the Cervelo with the too expensive plastic seatpost. It was legit good. Softened the road quite a bit, kind of like riding with a flat tire. Not bad. Might order them crabon rams now.

Stem is back to 90mm and the wonky handling is gone, much more confident than it was with the 80mm stem.

:whocares:
Last edited by Johnny_P on Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny_P

Santa Cruz updated their Stigmata cross bike.

I'm in love. Perfect. So simple, no bullshit graphics, no matte colors, no company name slathered all over every single tube *cough*NINER*cough* Just gloss greenish/white, or gloss orangey red. Fits 40mm tires, thru-axles front and rear, and the stock DT Swiss 370 / WTB wheelset is really solid.

Expensive af doe. Starts at $3600. Some downsides are lack of rack and fender mounts, only 2 water bottle spots, PF30 bottom bracket (SC were holdouts with threaded bottom brackets for the longest time) and internal hydraulic hose routing in the fork.

I want it. Dammit it's too much money.
Johnny_P

Gonna go test ride this after work. Maybe take it home? :popcorn:

I tried to buy a Macho King on Friday. None in stock at the shop (naturally), none in stock in 75 miles (naturally), and none available to order. Apparently there aren't any more in my size, at all, anywhere. No clue when All City will stock back up, or if they're doing an update to the bike. Could be until April or May before I could even order one? Who knows. So shop said they have a Cosmic Stallion in my size. Geometry is nearly the same as the Macho King, just a hair lower BB, a little bit longer wheelbase. So more road oriented than dirt, but only just. This has rack mounts on the back and a 3rd water bottle boss, also has bigger tire clearance and can convert to 650b. Through axles front and back. I'm not a huge fan of the drivetrain being 2x where the MK was 1x. I'd probably want to change that out. It's $100 cheaper than the MK.

I guess if I got it I'd leave the 2x drivetrain until it died. Spending a buttload on a derailleur, cassette, chainring, and XD driver on a brand new bike sucks. I just foresee throwing the chain a ton when in Belmont and Wiss. 90% of my friends have converted their cross rigs to 1x with clutched rear derailleurs and claim they'll never go back.

Thoughts?

The other idea is I could get a Macho Man Disc, save $1k, and use that to upgrade the wheelset to something that isn't a boat anchor. MMD comes with 105 2x, cable disc, and fender mounts. Steel fork. QR axles front and rear. It's like 26 lbs I think whereas this is around 22-23 and the MK was around 21.
Johnny_P

2nd annual Philly MTB Festival is June 10th at Pachella Field. Demo bikes, guided rides, skills clinics, swap meet, etc.
$10 to demo and gain access to skills park
$30 if you want lunch and guided rides
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Getting quite antsy to buy my Fathom.

Good news is my wife is finally OK with it, bad news (sort of) is that Butler is playing in Detroit for the NCAA Tournament on Friday, so we're heading up there first thing Friday morning to catch the first session. Should be fun, but I'll miss the opening of the sale. Hopefully they still have one in my size when we get back.

Wife has not OK'd spending another $100 on tires immediately after purchase, but she'll just have to :dealwithit: . 2.4 Higher Roller II up front, 2.3 DHR II out back is the plan. Should make for some good times.
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:02 pm Getting quite antsy to buy my Fathom.

Good news is my wife is finally OK with it, bad news (sort of) is that Butler is playing in Detroit for the NCAA Tournament on Friday, so we're heading up there first thing Friday morning to catch the first session. Should be fun, but I'll miss the opening of the sale. Hopefully they still have one in my size when we get back.

Wife has not OK'd spending another $100 on tires immediately after purchase, but she'll just have to :dealwithit: . 2.4 Higher Roller II up front, 2.3 DHR II out back is the plan. Should make for some good times.
Get it swapped out at the shop. She'll never know. You'll probably get a discount on the tires that way too.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:04 pm
coogles wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:02 pm Getting quite antsy to buy my Fathom.

Get it swapped out at the shop. She'll never know. You'll probably get a discount on the tires that way too.
Think they'd give me some credit for the Ardents that come on the bike? Wouldn't hurt to ask, but I just assumed they wouldn't.
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:08 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:04 pm

Think they'd give me some credit for the Ardents that come on the bike? Wouldn't hurt to ask, but I just assumed they wouldn't.
I imagine you'd be offered like 20-50% off the new tires.

Bicycle Revolutions said I'd get 20% off any upgrades if I purchased a bike, so if I wanted to go 1x with a clutched rear that all would be 20% off. Or water bottle cages, or fenders, or whatever.
Johnny_P

The road bike front wheel is wobbling. The end is near for that turd of a wheelset.
Johnny_P

I'm ready to write a very nasty letter to Shimano about these fucking shifters. They included everything to mount to an I-spec B brake lever but not an I-spec A brake lever. I need one fucking nut. ONE. And I'll be forced to spend $7 + shipping or $15 locally to get it. WTF. It says it works on I-spec A levers and doesn't say anything about "hey you need that one tiny little special nut that came with your brake levers when you bought them 6 years ago."

The little guy on the left. That's it. That's all I fucking need. And gotta pay $15 for it. Shimano gracefully included everything on the right, everything except that one tiny ass little nut.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:58 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:34 pm The road bike front wheel is wobbling. The end is near for that turd of a wheelset.
The i9 set?
Nah the Fulcrum set. It's toast. It's the one I ran full speed into a curb sooooo
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:56 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:22 pm

Nah the Fulcrum set. It's toast. It's the one I ran full speed into a curb sooooo
:doomed:

It was overall a durable wheelset but I never liked it.
Johnny_P

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:44 pm I'm ready to write a very nasty letter to Shimano about these fucking shifters. They included everything to mount to an I-spec B brake lever but not an I-spec A brake lever. I need one fucking nut. ONE. And I'll be forced to spend $7 + shipping or $15 locally to get it. WTF. It says it works on I-spec A levers and doesn't say anything about "hey you need that one tiny little special nut that came with your brake levers when you bought them 6 years ago."

The little guy on the left. That's it. That's all I fucking need. And gotta pay $15 for it. Shimano gracefully included everything on the right, everything except that one tiny ass little nut.
So I went to Home Depot and for $2 bought a pack of 3 M5 T-nuts, 2 M5x20mm bolts, and 2 M5 lock nuts. Threaded the bolt into the T-nut, put it into the vice, and cut the flange with my dremel to fit into the brake lever recess where the $15 Shimano nut goes. Worked like a charm. The bolts and lock nuts weren't needed, they were my backup plan for installation.

So there you go guys. The pack of M5 T-nuts were $1 at HD, so $0.33 per nut. Fuck Shimano.

Johnny_P

Cool
Johnny_P

Also cool
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:49 am Image

Cool
Buy this one.
Johnny_P

fledonfoot wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:26 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:49 am Image

Cool
Buy this one.
That's got a lot of custom shit on it but yeah it's nice. The crank alone is like $600 all in or something stupid. Poverty build from the factory puts this bike at about $1400-1600 or whatever and 25? lbs. Shimano 105 2x, cable disc, novatec wheels. The build is really kind of weak. Cosmic Stallion has Rival 2x hydro, Macho King has Rival 1x hydro. The Sram hydro levers have a huge protrusion from the hoods that make locking in on gnarly descents much better, according to my cyclocross brethren.

Some of my friends have these. They generally love them but do say they weigh a lot and feel heavy on the trail. I test rode a heavier canitlever brake model, and while it soaked up the road impressively well it felt totally dull and like I was dragging an anchor behind me. Maybe that's a good thing for off roading? The frame is rather flexy from what I remember. The fork was really nice though. When I tested the Macho King (which is basically the same with a Reynolds steel frameset and cf fork), the flexiness was all but gone, it felt notably faster and more responsive, and still soaked up the road decently well.

The shop does have one of these in 58.

Johnny_P

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/trance-sx-27dot5-2016

So this might be happening. Going to look at it Saturday. Local guy selling it used that I kinda sorta know.