Dem bicicletas, doe

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Apex wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:43 am :wasteful: what bike stand do you have? I need to get something a little more secure than leaning my bike against the wall...

Feedback Sports RAKK. They can link together so you can keep multiple bikes next to each other upright but not necessarily leaning on each other. Accepts any tire from road to mtb but mine won't do fat bikes or + tires. They have one for that doe. I need a couple more of these.

Only issue is, if your tire goes flat the bike falls over, lol, since it only grips the tire.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:50 am
Apex wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:43 am :wasteful: what bike stand do you have? I need to get something a little more secure than leaning my bike against the wall...

Feedback Sports RAKK. They can link together so you can keep multiple bikes next to each other upright but not necessarily leaning on each other. Accepts any tire from road to mtb but mine won't do fat bikes or + tires. They have one for that doe. I need a couple more of these.

Only issue is, if your tire goes flat the bike falls over, lol, since it only grips the tire.
Thanks man, I added one to my Amazon list.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

I just bought one of these to do a tune up on the CAAD - http://www.performancebike.com/shop/spi ... nd-40-2198

Quite nice for the money, IMO. There's also a version with a digital scale built in for another $40.
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:42 am
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:32 am So not sure on this crank sitch. Couldn't quite tell what was creaking last night. I bet if I just clean and re-assemble it I'll be good. The frame is a bit dicked up at the BB threading doe, like it needs to be re-faced. IDK how an external cup BB would fit on it right now, probably not too well. I think the dropped chains have eaten into the frame a bit because it was rough and uneven on the BB face.

Guess I'll just do a chainring? :iono:
I'd start off with the chainring... You'll need one anyway.
Good point.
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:53 am
I just bought one of these to do a tune up on the CAAD - http://www.performancebike.com/shop/spi ... nd-40-2198

Quite nice for the money, IMO. There's also a version with a digital scale built in for another $40.
I need something like this. I just flip my bikes over and work on them upside down, lol. Built an entire MTB that way. Some things would be easier with a rack though. Like brake bleeding or derailleur tuning.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:56 am I need something like this. I just flip my bikes over and work on them upside down, lol. Built an entire MTB that way. Some things would be easier with a rack though. Like brake bleeding or derailleur tuning.
Salesbro said to avoid the cheap two-post Park stand like the plague. With anything more than the lightest road bike on one, a slight breeze will blow them over. Forget about a 30 pound mountain bike. This G3 stand is nice and sturdy with the CAAD on it, doe, and no more expensive.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:15 am
coogles wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:04 am

Salesbro said to avoid the cheap two-post Park stand like the plague. With anything more than the lightest road bike on one, a slight breeze will blow them over. Forget about a 30 pound mountain bike. This G3 stand is nice and sturdy with the CAAD on it, doe, and no more expensive.
I have the two-post Park stand, I've used it for years. Works just fine.

The tripod stands are better, doe.
:iono: fair enough, this one was cheaper anyway.
Johnny_P

Rooks like polishing compound, a buffing pad for my drill, and sandpaper will be like $30 all in. Polished crank here we come.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

For Mr. :wasteful:. I'm sure you got the jenson email too. Lots of stuff on sale in actual sizes.

http://www.jensonusa.com/Orbea-Occam-Am-H30-Bike-2017

http://www.jensonusa.com/Orbea-Occam-Am-H20-Bike-2017

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Johnny_P

Gberg2119 wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:41 pm For Mr. :wasteful:. I'm sure you got the jenson email too. Lots of stuff on sale in actual sizes.

http://www.jensonusa.com/Orbea-Occam-Am-H30-Bike-2017

http://www.jensonusa.com/Orbea-Occam-Am-H20-Bike-2017

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
I probably do. I ignore 90% of the shit that goes to my inbox and just let it pile up unread.

Those bikes are good deals. Cheaper than the Giants by like $500 or whatever with better forks. Also, at 31 lbs the aluminum bikes from Orbea are nearly the same weight as the carbon fiber "C" bikes from Santa Cruz :fullretard:
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

The AM H10 alloy was the bike that started my nightmare purchase.
Johnny_P

Johnny_P

Parts :boxodicks: incoming. SLX drivetrain. I polished the cranks this weekend... they're..... alright I guess. We'll see. IF they suck then I'll just get a new crank but for now I'm trying to go the :scrooge: route.

Only problem now is the seatpost is silver and won't match a damn thing. Sticker bomb? Spray paint? I don't think spray paint will stick, but a sticker bomb should work. Maybe just black and white sticker bomb....
Apex

Johnny_P wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:11 pm Parts :boxodicks: incoming. SLX drivetrain. I polished the cranks this weekend... they're..... alright I guess. We'll see. IF they suck then I'll just get a new crank but for now I'm trying to go the :scrooge: route.

Only problem now is the seatpost is silver and won't match a damn thing. Sticker bomb? Spray paint? I don't think spray paint will stick, but a sticker bomb should work. Maybe just black and white sticker bomb....
Sounds like you need a :dedong: dropper...
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:13 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:11 pm Parts :boxodicks: incoming. SLX drivetrain. I polished the cranks this weekend... they're..... alright I guess. We'll see. IF they suck then I'll just get a new crank but for now I'm trying to go the :scrooge: route.

$250 for a seatpost :ugh:
I dunno. Need to stop :troywax: on this bike. But yes dropper would be great. Just would rather spend the $250 on a different fork. I neeed the drivetrain stuff, the Sram parts were worn out and it was time to change it all out anyway. 9 years of brutal service ain't too shabby for those parts.

I could probably bomb the cranks too now that I think about it...
Apex

Johnny_P wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:16 pm
Apex wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:13 pm

I dunno. Need to stop :troywax: on this bike. But yes dropper would be great. Just would rather spend the $250 on a different fork. I neeed the drivetrain stuff, the Sram parts were worn out and it was time to change it all out anyway. 9 years of brutal service ain't too shabby for those parts.

:bruh:

You won't buy anything new so just go :balls: out on this one.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:47 am

Seatpost is silver and matches your crank, breh. :bruh:
It's not polished and not going to get polished, lol. Matches the headset spacers and that's about it. Will be basically the only silver anodized part left on the bike. I was going to use my black Zipp seatpost from the road bike, but it's not long enough. I'd need it about 1cm above the minimum insertion line.
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:42 am
Johnny_P wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:16 pm

:bruh:

You won't buy anything new so just go :balls: out on this one.
https://www.pnwcomponents.com/products/ ... opper-post

That's the juan I was looking at. 15% off sale makes it $233. Seems like a lot of money for a seatpost that goes up and down.

Also been toying with the idea of rigid on this bike.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:52 am
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:50 am

It's not polished and not going to get polished, lol. Matches the headset spacers and that's about it. Will be basically the only silver anodized part left on the bike. I was going to use my black Zipp seatpost from the road bike, but it's not long enough. I'd need it about 1cm above the minimum insertion line.
:aintcare:

You don't need a fancy seatpost, just grab whatever matches your stem.
Was trying not to spend more money on it. I'd sooner leave it silver than spend another $45 on a black aluminum pipe to match the rest of the bike.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:11 am
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:08 am

Was trying not to spend more money on it. I'd sooner leave it silver than spend another $45 on a black aluminum pipe to match the rest of the bike.
:micdrop:

Just ride it.

1x ring should work fine on the old new polished crank with shorter bolts.
That's the plan. BB was rusty but seemed to turn alright and wasn't clicking... so we'll see. I think the creaking was a chainring bolt. Bought dem shorter bolts doe. Now just need to :dock: with fled to pick up the one ring to rule them all.
Johnny_P

https://www.amazon.com/Vinyl-Ease-Perma ... B0032JJS5O

$12 for a vinyl sticker and I could make it match the rest of the bike :millennial:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

11 days left until the BGI Spring Expo.

Johnny_P

Neato. Gorilla Monsoon by All City.

They cheaped out on a few things. No Sram XD driver means 11t rear, and 38t max front ring means gearing will suck on the road, you'll spin out easily. Also cable discs :butwhy:

The rest is pretty good though. Apex is fine, durable, cheap. The fork looks nice. 27.5 tires and can fit MTB knobbies is fun, or 700c with 42's means plenty of tire options.

Paint is killer on this.
Last edited by Johnny_P on Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny_P

Also fun

Surly Midnight Special. Fatass tires here too. 2x crank, 650b, solid. Fork isn't as nice as the AC. Also appears more geared towards rando / gravel epics than the Gorilla Monsoon which is more road bike for MTB riders.

These bikes are likely boat anchors. The AC Macho Man weighs like 28 lbs, I imagine the Gorilla Monsoon to weigh at least that, and the Surly while probably a little lighter won't be much lighter. Basically weighs as much as my MTB.

Macho King on the other hand sits right around 21.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:30 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:27 pm Image

Neato. Gorilla Monsoon by All City.
Thats a fat piece. I like it.
Yeah pretty cool. Kinda wish there was a carbon fork option but appears it's not in the cards. Really though it would drop about 2 lbs. I'd ride this on any singletrack in our area.