Dem bicicletas, doe

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Bicycle Revolutions has no All City Macho Kings in stock. They can order juan for me. Plan is to go do that on Monday.

Breakaway had a total of (4) mountain bikes in their shop. They still have that Gulf Trek Fuel, and 3 hardtails, one of which was a 27+. The Specialized Chisel actually looks really nice, understated graphics and such. Reba forks. I dunno, really not much different than my Trek and $1800 ish. So the move to upgrade the Trek is not a bad one IMO.

Went in looking for tubeless tape. $80 Stan's kit for 29ers. WTF? I passed, I'll just get some tape from Performance or go poverty Gorilla tape.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Johnny_P wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:15 pm Bicycle Revolutions has no All City Macho Kings in stock. They can order juan for me. Plan is to go do that on Monday.

Breakaway had a total of (4) mountain bikes in their shop. They still have that Gulf Trek Fuel, and 3 hardtails, one of which was a 27+. The Specialized Chisel actually looks really nice, understated graphics and such. Reba forks. I dunno, really not much different than my Trek and $1800 ish. So the move to upgrade the Trek is not a bad one IMO.

Went in looking for tubeless tape. $80 Stan's kit for 29ers. WTF? I passed, I'll just get some tape from Performance or go poverty Gorilla tape.
My Gorilla tape has been 5/7 and held up great so far.
Johnny_P

My brake pads, cable ends, and hoods came in for the steel bike.
Rams are here for the MTB just need some tape and they'll be good to brap.
Rest of the loot comes in today, including seatpost for the road bike, handlebars and stem for MTB, and dress up stuff for GF's bike.

I think I will need new MTB tires this year. The Conti on the back isn't holding up too well. Then again none of my rear tires ever do, I'm pretty hard on them with all the street riding I do to get to trailheads. Might go Maxxis.... Minion DHF up front and who knows what out back.... high roller?

I want to go order the Macho King this week. Not going to get any discount on it but I guess it is what it is. I just want the damn bike at this point. It's got everything I want. I was going to do that today but GF just called all upset and wants to talk tonight (not my fault more shop stuff) so I guess that'll have to wait.

Still not sure on the MTB. I want to test out a Trance I guess. I really liked the Anthem more than any other MTB I've ever ridden but feel it's worth it to try the longer travel Trance, esp since I'm keeping the hardtail.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:26 pm My brake pads, cable ends, and hoods came in for the steel bike.
Rams are here for the MTB just need some tape and they'll be good to brap.
Rest of the loot comes in today, including seatpost for the road bike, handlebars and stem for MTB, and dress up stuff for GF's bike.

I think I will need new MTB tires this year. The Conti on the back isn't holding up too well. Then again none of my rear tires ever do, I'm pretty hard on them with all the street riding I do to get to trailheads. Might go Maxxis.... Minion DHF up front and who knows what out back.... high roller?

I want to go order the Macho King this week. Not going to get any discount on it but I guess it is what it is. I just want the damn bike at this point. It's got everything I want. I was going to do that today but GF just called all upset and wants to talk tonight (not my fault more shop stuff) so I guess that'll have to wait.

Still not sure on the MTB. I want to test out a Trance I guess. I really liked the Anthem more than any other MTB I've ever ridden but feel it's worth it to try the longer travel Trance, esp since I'm keeping the hardtail.
:doit:

I randomly stopped at the LBS to peep at the Trance's they have in stock. The Trance 2 with the matte gray and neon yellow isn't bad in person. The roarange is a bit shouty, IMO. Would love to get the Advanced 2, but that's probably a little too :waxer: for me with the whole bathroom project just wrapping up and having a :baby: on the way.

BGI's spring expo usually starts mid March, hopefully they'll have the Trances on sale. Typically all bikes of the current model year are 15% off. :troywax:
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:47 pmGo try out the Cannondale Habit SE and Bad Habit. :doit:
I'll check out the hobbit but not the bad hobbit. No need for 27+ on a FS bike. The one I rode felt like a fatbike and was super slow turning.
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:50 pm:doit:

I randomly stopped at the LBS to peep at the Trance's they have in stock. The Trance 2 with the matte gray and neon yellow isn't bad in person. The roarange is a bit shouty, IMO. Would love to get the Advanced 2, but that's probably a little too :waxer: for me with the whole bathroom project just wrapping up and having a :baby: on the way.

BGI's spring expo usually starts mid March, hopefully they'll have the Trances on sale. Typically all bikes of the current model year are 15% off. :troywax:
No reason for me to not wait for a sail at this point on the MTB. Giant also tends to do company sales on select bikes. The Anthem SX went on fire sale last year and I should have bought it, but that happened before I was able to try one out. I like the Advanced 2's. You get crabon rams and SLX and Rockshox Revelation fork (which is just a heavier Pike nowadays, they use the same 35mm chassis).

I don't 100% hate the highlighter yellow Anthem but it's not my first pick. All of Giant's MTB colors suck this year IMO except the :waxer: Trance Advanced 0 in black/green, and the Anthem 29ers which I have no interest in. I'm really not a fan of matte colors.

For a while Giant was making bikes with simpler, more understated graphics. They looked good then.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:56 pm No reason for me to not wait for a sail at this point on the MTB. Giant also tends to do company sales on select bikes. The Anthem SX went on fire sale last year and I should have bought it, but that happened before I was able to try one out. I like the Advanced 2's. You get crabon rams and SLX and Rockshox Revelation fork (which is just a heavier Pike nowadays, they use the same 35mm chassis).

I don't 100% hate the highlighter yellow Anthem but it's not my first pick. All of Giant's MTB colors suck this year IMO except the :waxer: Trance Advanced 0 in black/green, and the Anthem 29ers which I have no interest in. I'm really not a fan of matte colors.

For a while Giant was making bikes with simpler, more understated graphics. They looked good then.
The TA2 is a crazy good value. Carbon frame and rams, 35mm fork that can be updated to the RCT3 damper for cheap, and IMO it needs nothing else until something breaks. At 15% off it'd be $3,700 with tax. Maybe ~$500 less if I trade in the CAAD10. Oh man, maybe I can swing that, we'll see what the wife says in ~3 weeks when the sale starts.
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:25 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:56 pm No reason for me to not wait for a sail at this point on the MTB. Giant also tends to do company sales on select bikes. The Anthem SX went on fire sale last year and I should have bought it, but that happened before I was able to try one out. I like the Advanced 2's. You get crabon rams and SLX and Rockshox Revelation fork (which is just a heavier Pike nowadays, they use the same 35mm chassis).

The TA2 is a crazy good value. Carbon frame and rams, 35mm fork that can be updated to the RCT3 damper for cheap, and IMO it needs nothing else until something breaks. At 15% off it'd be $3,700 with tax. Maybe ~$500 less if I trade in the CAAD10. Oh man, maybe I can swing that, we'll see what the wife says in ~3 weeks when the sale starts.
Yeah it’s a hell of a package. That and the alloy one with SLX for mid $2k are fantastic. Needs nothing at all even the fork is excellent. I wouldn’t upgrade the damper.

Dat paint doe is so bad.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:42 am
coogles wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:25 pm

Yeah it’s a hell of a package. That and the alloy one with SLX for mid $2k are fantastic. Needs nothing at all even the fork is excellent. I wouldn’t upgrade the damper.

Dat paint doe is so bad.
:iono: I like it. I don't much like the graphic on the down tube, but I honestly think the least attractive color scheme is the black & yellow on the TA0. I much prefer than Santa Cruz color schemes, but for my money the Trance is eaily the pick, IMO.

Still want to go hoon a Bronson rental, though.
Johnny_P

Figured out why my chain was getting sucked up and thrown so much. Combo of two things. Rear hub wobbling causing binding at the derailleur. And front middle chainring is worn. Shark toothed af.
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:25 am
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:42 am

Dat paint doe is so bad.
:iono: I like it. I don't much like the graphic on the down tube, but I honestly think the least attractive color scheme is the black & yellow on the TA0. I much prefer than Santa Cruz color schemes, but for my money the Trance is eaily the pick, IMO.

Trance will weight a lot less than a comparable SC. SC has threaded bottom brackets doe, and likely more cachet when you go to sell it you'll get more back. But I beat the living fuck out of my bikes so I plan on basically no resale, lol. I also keep them for 6-7 years.

SC do look a helluvalot better but the value is there with the Giants.

My superior MS paint skills here:

The AA2 looks :notbad: when you get rid of the horrible sickers and yellow shit all over it.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:07 pm
coogles wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:25 am

Trance will weight a lot less than a comparable SC. SC has threaded bottom brackets doe, and likely more cachet when you go to sell it you'll get more back. But I beat the living fuck out of my bikes so I plan on basically no resale, lol. I also keep them for 6-7 years.

The AA2 looks :notbad: when you get rid of the horrible sickers and yellow shit all over it.
If you buy the AA I'll swap you my wheels and $500 in cash if the color drives you that nuts.
Johnny_P

fledonfoot wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:12 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:07 pm

If you buy the AA I'll swap you my wheels and $500 in cash if the color drives you that nuts.
They're stickerz over clear so they can be easily removed. Also would remove the yellow shock stickers and replace with ebay black ones for that BBQ look.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:20 pm
fledonfoot wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:12 pm

They're stickerz over clear so they can be easily removed. Also would remove the yellow shock stickers and replace with ebay black ones for that BBQ look.
Should totally just buy it. You've got a plan.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:36 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:59 am Figured out why my chain was getting sucked up and thrown so much. Combo of two things. Rear hub wobbling causing binding at the derailleur. And front middle chainring is worn. Shark toothed af.
If you don’t go 1x...

:triggered:
Prob gonna do SLX 1x. Price is right. $310 all in I think.
Johnny_P

Oh wow that looks hella fun. 27.5, 150/150 travel, Fox 34 GRIP, Sram Eagle 1x12. The wheels are cheap and the brakes wouldn't be my pick, but damn that's a nice price. SC runs small IMO, I ride an XL in their bikes where I ride an L in other brands. The large bikes have really cramped cockpits for me.

That's a solid ride. Likely heavier than the Giant TA2 doe. IDK if that actually matters.
Johnny_P

If I just do the chainring and no crank, I'll probably try to polish the crank arms. :notsure:

Mounted the new rams. Front tire was good this morning, I guess Stan's updated their formula. New rams are hookless which is interesting, it was a helluvalot easier to mount the tires. Rear has a tube right meow because that tire is :roasted: and I didn't want to waste the Stans stuff. Missing knobs and shit, lol. Will get a new tire with this parts purchase.

New bar and stem got put on the other night. The Renthal Fatbar feels good, has a mild 10mm rise, and much less back sweep than my old bar. Hands are roughly in the same position but wider grip distance and a more straight grab instead of the "ergo" bend or whatever. Feels good.

Last edited by Johnny_P on Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:36 am
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:31 am If I just do the chainring and no crank, I'll probably try to polish the crank arms. :notsure:

Mounted the new rams. Front tire was good this morning, I guess Stan's updated their formula. New rams are hookless which is interesting, it was a helluvalot easier to mount the tires. Rear has a tube right meow because that tire is :roasted: and I didn't want to waste the Stans stuff. Missing knobs and shit, lol. Will get a new tire with this parts purchase.

New bar and stem got put on the other night. The Renthal Fatbar feels good, has a mild 10mm rise, and much less back sweep than my old bar. Hands are roughly in the same position but wider grip distance and a more straight grab instead of the "ergo" bend or whatever. Feels good.
Yeah, I mean Octalink crank is heavy but durable. I'd just :aintcare: and throw a ring on it.
A lot cheaper that way for sure. I don't need a new BB tool, new BB, etc. Just ring and bolts. So like $45. Vs $150-160.
It creaks. I wonder if that's the BB, or some dirt in threads of something, or the rings. Not a big deal.

Anyone have a 29er tire recommendation for the rear? Maxxis Ardent Race? Ikon? The front tire is a Nobby Nic with some life left in it and I like it enough to keep it. Rear tire has to be good in hardpack, loose over hard, and street use. I ride to the trails, 7-10 miles each way, so I destroy rear tires and hate super knobby ones that create a lot of drag.

Previous rear tires were:
Racing Ralph, just no too expensive, too weak, not enough grip
Conti X-King, it was OK but didn't last, and stiff sidewall didn't like being below 30 psi which sucked but it was super fast and rather grippy for a slick-ish tire.
Specialized Captain, didn't hate it but strange transition between center tightly spaced knobs and outer farther spaced knobs, created a tippy feeling. Also had no grip over logs due to the tight center knobs.
Johnny_P

Also anyone know how to bleed shimano disc brakes?
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:38 am Oh wow that looks hella fun. 27.5, 150/150 travel, Fox 34 GRIP, Sram Eagle 1x12. The wheels are cheap and the brakes wouldn't be my pick, but damn that's a nice price. SC runs small IMO, I ride an XL in their bikes where I ride an L in other brands. The large bikes have really cramped cockpits for me.

That's a solid ride. Likely heavier than the Giant TA2 doe. IDK if that actually matters.
I'm sort of between sizes at 5'10", which is pretty much right on the border of M vs L in most brands. The Giant brehs at the demo day were pushing me toward a Large on the TA2, but I was significantly more comfortable on the Medium. Reach on the M TA2 is 17.1, but it's 16.7 on the M Bronson. Step up to the Large Bronson and it's 17.5, which is only .1" shorter than the 17.6 on the Large TA2. FWIW the Competitive Cyclist fit tool said I should be on a Medium.

I'm going to hop over to a local SC :dill:er to see if they have both sizes. There's a shop in Brown County that has Bronson rentals, so assuming I generally feel comfortable on the thing I want to rent one for a day to see how it compares to the Trance. For that price I think it's worth checking out.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:06 am
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:47 am

A lot cheaper that way for sure. I don't need a new BB tool, new BB, etc. Just ring and bolts. So like $45. Vs $150-160.
It creaks. I wonder if that's the BB, or some dirt in threads of something, or the rings. Not a big deal.

Anyone have a 29er tire recommendation for the rear? Maxxis Ardent Race? Ikon? The front tire is a Nobby Nic with some life left in it and I like it enough to keep it. Rear tire has to be good in hardpack, loose over hard, and street use. I ride to the trails, 7-10 miles each way, so I destroy rear tires and hate super knobby ones that create a lot of drag.

Previous rear tires were:
Racing Ralph, just no too expensive, too weak, not enough grip
Conti X-King, it was OK but didn't last, and stiff sidewall didn't like being below 30 psi which sucked but it was super fast and rather grippy for a slick-ish tire.
Specialized Captain, didn't hate it but strange transition between center tightly spaced knobs and outer farther spaced knobs, created a tippy feeling. Also had no grip over logs due to the tight center knobs.
I'm happy with the Ardent race in terms of grip, not happy in terms of suppleness - it's a harsh tire. Handles well, though.

Also, if the BB is creaking, might just be better off replacing it anyway then.
Problem is I dunno why it's creaking. Could be from dirt in the interface, not tight enough, chainring bolts creaking, etc. I'll tear it apart and do some diagnostics tonight. In my experience sealed cartridge units like this rarely actually fail.
Johnny_P

So not sure on this crank sitch. Couldn't quite tell what was creaking last night. I bet if I just clean and re-assemble it I'll be good. The frame is a bit dicked up at the BB threading doe, like it needs to be re-faced. IDK how an external cup BB would fit on it right now, probably not too well. I think the dropped chains have eaten into the frame a bit because it was rough and uneven on the BB face.

Guess I'll just do a chainring? :iono:
Apex

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:32 am So not sure on this crank sitch. Couldn't quite tell what was creaking last night. I bet if I just clean and re-assemble it I'll be good. The frame is a bit dicked up at the BB threading doe, like it needs to be re-faced. IDK how an external cup BB would fit on it right now, probably not too well. I think the dropped chains have eaten into the frame a bit because it was rough and uneven on the BB face.

Guess I'll just do a chainring? :iono:
I'd start off with the chainring... You'll need one anyway.
Apex

:wasteful: what bike stand do you have? I need to get something a little more secure than leaning my bike against the wall...