Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote:
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:35 pm Fking phone posts
:dat:

If you can be responsible with credit, having multiple cards isn't a bad thing. I probably have nearly $100k in available credit between all my cards, but I use each for a purpose and that's it...all setup on autopay to pay the balance in full. I max out the benefits from each...between my 3 main cards, I got over $1,000 back in benefits for free last year by doing nothing more than spending like I normally do.

:mindblown:
That's I guess the next level here. I only use one card because I'm lazy. 6% groceries, 3% gas, 1% everything else. I thought about the Amazon card but I've stopped buying much from them, eBay almost always has stuff cheaper now that Amazon charges 6% sales tax. I generally shop on Amazon, then buy on eBay for a 10+% discount.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

troyguitar wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:48 pm
Detroit wrote: :dat:

If you can be responsible with credit, having multiple cards isn't a bad thing. I probably have nearly $100k in available credit between all my cards, but I use each for a purpose and that's it...all setup on autopay to pay the balance in full. I max out the benefits from each...between my 3 main cards, I got over $1,000 back in benefits for free last year by doing nothing more than spending like I normally do.

That's I guess the next level here. I only use one card because I'm lazy. 6% groceries, 3% gas, 1% everything else. I thought about the Amazon card but I've stopped buying much from them, eBay almost always has stuff cheaper now that Amazon charges 6% sales tax. I generally shop on Amazon, then buy on eBay for a 10+% discount.
Wow, that's a decent return.

5% back almost cancels out the 6% sales tax, so I still do Amazon. It was the sales tax change that pushed me toward the card.

I still buy car parts on eBay...quite frequently. It's absolutely more price competitive than Amazon, but in some cases the authenticity is in question.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Amex blue, has an ANNUAL FEE :doe:

:triggered:
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:00 pm Amex blue, has an ANNUAL FEE :doe:

Oh, screw that.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:31 pm
wap wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:27 pm
:word:
I just got a Capital One card because I'm tired of paying for my Chase. I will activate my Cap One and cancel my Chase this weekend and not look back. Also, no foreign transaction fees with the new card will save even more $$. which is :megusta: for us.
We buy a SHITLOAD of stuff on Amazon. I got the Amazon Prime card from Chase (it's even METAL :triggered: ) and has no foreign transaction fees. 5% back on all Amazon Prime purchases 2% back on restaurants, 1% on everything else. We used it when we were in Germany, worked 5/7. No annual fee.
That sounds 5/7. I didn't think any Chase cards had no annual fee. Must be the Amazon Prime aspect.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

Detroit wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:35 pm
wap wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:29 pm

:troywax: less on worthless "stuff" that you don't need and pay those cards down faster and never carry balances again. 29% interest will kill you financially.

The #1 goal should be killing the CC debt. Eat ramen for a month. Don't go out to do anything. Don't buy anything. You have to pay penance to learn to never do it again. CC debt can ruin people, and you pay a ton for absolutely no value.
Couldn't agree more. No phone cases. No Shitpotle. Nothing.
wap

Detroit wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:38 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:35 pm
Fking phone posts

Doin' it right.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:17 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:31 pm
We buy a SHITLOAD of stuff on Amazon. I got the Amazon Prime card from Chase (it's even METAL :triggered: ) and has no foreign transaction fees. 5% back on all Amazon Prime purchases 2% back on restaurants, 1% on everything else. We used it when we were in Germany, worked 5/7. No annual fee.
That sounds 5/7. I didn't think any Chase cards had no annual fee. Must be the Amazon Prime aspect.
Technically, you have to pay $100/year because you need to be a Prime member to get it.

Same with the Costco card.

But I'd have those subscriptions regardless, so the card is "free".
wap

Detroit wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:24 pm
wap wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:17 pm

Technically, you have to pay $100/year because you need to be a Prime member to get it.

We're prime members too so it would be free for us. Hmmm...
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:27 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:24 pm

Really?

:bruh:

https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Prime-Rew ... BT00LN946S
wap

Detroit wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:29 pm
wap wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:27 pm

Really?

:bruh:

https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Prime-Rew ... BT00LN946S
:ohdang:
Will propose to the Mrs.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:31 pm
Will propose to the Mrs.
We used this thing exclusively in Germany...where CC's were accepted (which was few and far between), but from hotel to hotel, petrol stations, etc...it worked great. No fees, etc.

Also, I have a Fidelity Cash Management account for my cash (pay bills, etc) that reimburses ALL ATM fees...including fees in Europe. I could walk up to any ATM and pull out money without any fees. Seriously 5/7 if you travel a lot.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:40 pm

Will propose to the Mrs.
We used this thing exclusively in Germany...where CC's were accepted (which was few and far between), but from hotel to hotel, petrol stations, etc...it worked great. No fees, etc.

Also, I have a Fidelity Cash Management account for my cash (pay bills, etc) that reimburses ALL ATM fees...including fees in Europe. I could walk up to any ATM and pull out money without any fees. Seriously 5/7 if you travel a lot.
A local bank here now provides most major kinds of foreign currency at market exchange rates. Very handy as I find it annoying AF to try and find foreign currency the minute I arrive in a foreign country.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:44 pm

A local bank here now provides most major kinds of foreign currency at market exchange rates. Very handy as I find it annoying AF to try and find foreign currency the minute I arrive in a foreign country.
This is great to have a few bucks on hand when you land at the airport and can get on your way immediately.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Melon wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:29 pm
Fuck travel. Fuck restaurants. Fuck new cars. That's for rich people.
New cars, I'm with you there.

But, travel adds a flavor to life that's necessary, and the occasional restaurant is no harm.
That i agree with travel, and i work in the industry, and let me tell you, it is a very good thing to waste money on just to expand your horizons on a specific destination, especially knowing that it may not happen again. I’m not all about going into a 5 star hotel and whatnot either.

New cars, i’d agree with mahtroy here, considering they are a depreciating asset and you can end up getting a CPO with like 5,000 miles with the new car smell and take advantage of someones placprofit. Honestly that is almost no different at all imo.

With food overall, now that I work at home and recently got into fitness lifestyle, i tend to eat more at home now, and it is :mindblown: how much money you’re actually saving. I don’t miss going to say panda express, or other places that costs me $9-12, 5x a week, which i end up paying $200 a month?, and thats all for weekday lunch alone. :nope: thats just a thing in the past for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:44 pm

I like being able to walk up to an ATM anywhere and get cash out without being bent over. The ultimate convenience, IMO.
dtraill27
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 Mazda 6

I also have the amazon prime card. can confirm its 5/7ness
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Detroit wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:28 pm
[user not found] wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:19 pm

Work lunch is a yuuuuuge expense that can really result in some massive spending if not kept in check.
It's crazy.

:math:
~$2600/yr.

work lunch should be cheaper for all.
wap

Will propose to the Mrs.

:notbad: indeed.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

dubshow wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:21 pm just got my first "real" credit card. $15k in 30 seconds. That was scary.

opted for the chase sapphire to rack up point for the euro trip.
I did this for the UK trip last year, and use it for the rental coverage too.

In the last year with the usual spending I've had enough points to cover the rental car cost and 2 nights in a decent hotel for the trip this year.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Outside of corporate card lunches; I aim for 1 and at most 2 lunches per paycheck that I'll :troywax: on $15-20 every 2 weeks isn't terrible.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Apex wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:10 pm Outside of corporate card lunches; I aim for 1 and at most 2 lunches per paycheck that I'll :troywax: on $15-20 every 2 weeks isn't terrible.
:mindblown: I've never made it more than 1 week with out running out to buy lunch.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:15 am I don't budget. But I'm a frugal person by nature. All CC's on auto pay for full balance each month. 15% into 401k. A cash slush fund that can cover 8 mos of living expenses in case of :nuke: and I just :troywax: the rest.

House, utilities, car, and insurance expenses are pretty constant. I never buy lunch at work, always bring. We limit our eating/going out to twice a week because :fatty: reduction. Big purchases (over $500) are planned in advance and allocated for in future checks. Small purchases are whatever as we need.

Probably doing it wrong. Whatever. I enjoy life.
:dat: is pretty much my way. I did get Mint going again recently to see what I'm spending on but I just can't get into it.

I don't really understand the impulse buying on Amazon thing, but different strokes. I browse sometimes but generally take a lot of time to pull the trigger on even a $20 purchase. Restaurants/bars/travel are a much larger YOLO problem for me. When someone invites me to something fun, I get a chance to have a cool weekend with the gf, stuff like that, it's really hard to say no. It's not all that bad though, because I'll still generally go for $2.50 PBRs at bars and such. GF doesn't have expensive tastes in restaurants, so we probably average $40 for a dinner out. In general I'm just frugal automatically.

So despite pretty much doing whatever the hell I want and not really making all that much, I still do 10% into the 401k plus the company's 5%, than about $500/month into savings. I still usually end up with extra money that I've thrown at the student loans always, but those are pretty much paid off so I'll probably start saving more I guess.

I suppose my one piece of advice goes back to the $2.50 PBR thing. Say you go out with friends and get four drinks. Four PBRs plus tip is $12. Four hipster pinshit artisan drinks is like $60. If you REALLY LOVE the drinks that much, get one or two, but they're pretty heavy into the :troywax: side of things, IMO. Same goes for food. If you're going out with friends, suggest a cool, cheaper place. My GF and I really like a local Vietnamese place, super good food but nothing fancy. If you end up at a :waxer: place, just get a $12 burger instead of a $25 whatever. Look for highly rated single $ restaurants on Yelp. There are tons of good ones in pretty much every city but Boston. Even NYC and SF have awesome, cheap food.

I can't imagine not taking advantage of the hundreds per year in CC bonuses, but I guess if you don't have self control, ditch them. I got into a bit of CC debt once when I got engaged to a Max spec chick and made like $35k, but I was really stupid back then... never since.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:38 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:35 pm
Fking phone posts

:dat: Detroit :mahtroy:

I use Chase and Discover for only the 5% back rotating categories, my BofA card for gas at 3.1% cash back unless it's 5% on the other cards, Citi Double cash on other stuff for 2% back, Capital One 1.5% back with no foreign fees for international stuff, and I have an Amex only to transfer my company card points to if I'm ever leaving the company. I have no Idea what all of that ads up to, probably like $75k. I never have more than $1,500 out at any given time (that's an expensive month for me) and pay the bill in full always. My credit score is like 815.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:17 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:15 am I don't budget. But I'm a frugal person by nature. All CC's on auto pay for full balance each month. 15% into 401k. A cash slush fund that can cover 8 mos of living expenses in case of :nuke: and I just :troywax: the rest.

House, utilities, car, and insurance expenses are pretty constant. I never buy lunch at work, always bring. We limit our eating/going out to twice a week because :fatty: reduction. Big purchases (over $500) are planned in advance and allocated for in future checks. Small purchases are whatever as we need.

Probably doing it wrong. Whatever. I enjoy life.
:dat: is pretty much my way. I did get Mint going again recently to see what I'm spending on but I just can't get into it.

I don't really understand the impulse buying on Amazon thing, but different strokes. I browse sometimes but generally take a lot of time to pull the trigger on even a $20 purchase. Restaurants/bars/travel are a much larger YOLO problem for me. When someone invites me to something fun, I get a chance to have a cool weekend with the gf, stuff like that, it's really hard to say no. It's not all that bad though, because I'll still generally go for $2.50 PBRs at bars and such. GF doesn't have expensive tastes in restaurants, so we probably average $40 for a dinner out. In general I'm just frugal automatically.

So despite pretty much doing whatever the hell I want and not really making all that much, I still do 10% into the 401k plus the company's 5%, than about $500/month into savings. I still usually end up with extra money that I've thrown at the student loans always, but those are pretty much paid off so I'll probably start saving more I guess.

I suppose my one piece of advice goes back to the $2.50 PBR thing. Say you go out with friends and get four drinks. Four PBRs plus tip is $12. Four hipster pinshit artisan drinks is like $60. If you REALLY LOVE the drinks that much, get one or two, but they're pretty heavy into the :troywax: side of things, IMO. Same goes for food. If you're going out with friends, suggest a cool, cheaper place. My GF and I really like a local Vietnamese place, super good food but nothing fancy. If you end up at a :waxer: place, just get a $12 burger instead of a $25 whatever. Look for highly rated single $ restaurants on Yelp. There are tons of good ones in pretty much every city but Boston. Even NYC and SF have awesome, cheap food.

I can't imagine not taking advantage of the hundreds per year in CC bonuses, but I guess if you don't have self control, ditch them. I got into a bit of CC debt once when I got engaged to a Max spec chick and made like $35k, but I was really stupid back then... never since.
for frame of reference, you also were down with the OTPHJ to save a buck.

:scrooge: 4 lyfe. And nothing wrong with that.