Car Talk 2: Un-American Motor Company.

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

What's moms dream car?
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

wap wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:56 pm What's moms dream ride?
:wap:
wap

D Griff wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:57 pm
:ohdang:
:lolol: :lolgasm:
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

:fuckyeah:
wap

troyguitar wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:00 pm

:fuckyeah:
:dat:
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

wap wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:56 pm What's moms dream car?
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

razr390 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:33 pm Lease is almost up in a few months. Already at 5,xxx miles over the cap. Dad is the registered owner/lease holder and he's traveling during the months that the turn-in is due. So, for sake of proactivity we are already exploring other options, but for the most part they are as follows:

1. Keep the car
- The car would be financed based on residual value according to lease/purchase agreement (which is around $13,xxx IIRC).
- The car has had NO major issues even outside of the warranty
- The car is OUT OF WARRANTY
- The car has 65,xxx miles

2. Upgrade through VW into a new Golf/GTI/etc
- VW Credit relationship is good, and they will offer a nice rate/deal on a new car
- Helps soften the mileage overage fee blow, and eliminates early lease termination fees
- New car
- 2018 Model Year VW's get 6 year/72,000 mile warranty
- Carefree motoring for SIX YEARS.

3. Return GTI, take over 2017 Passat R-Line lease from my mom, and let her get her dream car.
- R-Line is a sweet looking, reliable car
- Comfortable and payment is lower than GTI's.
- Urano grey, LED lighting package on headlights and taillights :jimp:
- Kind of dull to drive, but a car is a car.

4. Get a Charger (Daytona 5.7L preferred, but I'll take any)
- New/CPO/Used TBD depending on deals

5. Get a beater car for a few years, save up some :waxer: and go from there.
- If I keep the GTI, payments would effectively be $17x-$2xx/month as a lease-to-own (one option)
- Get a used car
- Etc.

6. New appliance level car to beat the shit out of
- Maybe a GM product with Detroit :dill:

I am leaning pretty heavy on keeping the GTI for now, since I drove it from new, maintenance was done every 10k miles (even 8.5-9k) and it has no real known issues to it. Could use a detail, but otherwise perfect. Monthly would effectively lower by almost 1/2.

:iono:
Considering your financial situation keeping the gti seems wise. And it is a great car.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

The GTI for sure, it was really well maintained, looks great, drives great, and cheap!
wap

troyguitar wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:15 pm
:disgust:
wap

Tarspin wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:46 pm The GTI for sure, it was really well maintained, looks great, drives great, and cheap!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Aren't there expensive issues with GTIs as they get up in age? Carbon build-up, etc? It's worth looking into so you know what you're getting into. When you're poor and starting out, the last thing you need is a sudden multi $k bill to fix your car.

Also, $13k seems to be too much for the car. Depends on how much the overage is to give it back, but often times lease residuals are too high...so keep that in mind as well. You don't want to be immediately upside down on something. You need to run as lean as possible right now.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Detroit wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:06 am Aren't there expensive issues with GTIs as they get up in age? Carbon build-up, etc? It's worth looking into so you know what you're getting into. When you're poor and starting out, the last thing you need is a sudden multi $k bill to fix your car.

Also, $13k seems to be too much for the car. Depends on how much the overage is to give it back, but often times lease residuals are too high...so keep that in mind as well. You don't want to be immediately upside down on something. You need to run as lean as possible right now.
I did a carboner cleaning around 45k or so when they replaced my intake manifold
Through extended VW warranty
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
razr390

She really wants a C300
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

razr390 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:33 pm Lease is almost up in a few months. Already at 5,xxx miles over the cap. Dad is the registered owner/lease holder and he's traveling during the months that the turn-in is due. So, for sake of proactivity we are already exploring other options, but for the most part they are as follows:

I am leaning pretty heavy on keeping the GTI for now, since I drove it from new, maintenance was done every 10k miles (even 8.5-9k) and it has no real known issues to it. Could use a detail, but otherwise perfect. Monthly would effectively lower by almost 1/2.

No Passat
Charger sounds good but depreciation will rape you unless you keep it forever, plus it's a barge and you live in a congested city. RWD you'd need winter tires so you don't murder nuns and puppies. Where you gonna store that?

Beater car sounds fun until you realize shit breaks on them and while they're cheaper to buy into they require far more maintenance, where are you going to do that? If at a shop, remember it'll cost you. I loved the GF's departed Volvo V70 but my God was I glad to see that shitbucket go. She bought it for $800, put about $1500 into it over a year, and then the transmission blew. $200/mo in parts and purchase why not lease a brand new car and not have to :dealwithit: which is what she ended up doing.

Beater car that makes sense is a Prius, Accord, 4Runner, TRUK, CRV, etc. Not going to have much fun in that. Also, you'd need to spend about $10,000 to get into a beater that would be good for DD and not falling apart. Save $3k and drive a car you hate.... hmm... Maybe a G37x-ish car?

Actually in this case keeping the GTI sounds like a decent option. $13k is probably too high of a residual so you'll be upside down on it, but as long as you understand that and the implications of it then that's ok. It's been reliable to you, you got a good one. It seems with VWs that you either get a reliable one, or you get one that's complete dogshit with not much in between. You seem to really like the car. $200/mo is cheap as shit for a payment you'll still save a lot.
Johnny_P

razr390 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:46 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:06 am Aren't there expensive issues with GTIs as they get up in age? Carbon build-up, etc? It's worth looking into so you know what you're getting into. When you're poor and starting out, the last thing you need is a sudden multi $k bill to fix your car.

I did a carboner cleaning around 45k or so when they replaced my intake manifold
You haz MK6?
Might want to proactively change the PCV. If/when that goes out it results in a huge repair bill because of what else it grenades. Other than that, timing chain tensioner is mostly forum hype, water pump and radiator is real because German, IM was done so that's good, DSG failure would worry me but you've done the services so it should be alright. Coil packs but they're easy.
razr390

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:26 am
You haz MK6?
Might want to proactively change the PCV. If/when that goes out it results in a huge repair bill because of what else it grenades. Other than that, timing chain tensioner is mostly forum hype, water pump and radiator is real because German, IM was done so that's good, DSG failure would worry me but you've done the services so it should be alright. Coil packs but they're easy.
Yeah it’s definitely a give/take. The car has 65,xxx and hasn’t given me any issues except WP (which was replaced twice. Once because it was a slow leak, another because of recall). WP’s on my Mk6 are covered until 120,000 miles IIRC;

IM was done under oowertrain but AFAIK they mentioned that it was covered until 120,000 again since it’s an issue with the MK6. They said there was minimal carbon build up when I did the cleaning, but that it was good that I did it for warranty/Extended Warranty/etc since there’s evidence that I maintained the car properly in case of any claims.

I drove the car pretty hard back in FL, but now it’s barely being driven (maybe 3-5 miles a day in average) and the traffic laws here are full :flaccid:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

She really wants a C300
A CPO C300 wouldn't be too expensive.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

1. Keep the car
- The car would be financed based on residual value according to lease/purchase agreement (which is around $13,xxx IIRC).
- The car has had NO major issues even outside of the warranty
- The car is OUT OF WARRANTY
- The car has 65,xxx miles

2. Upgrade through VW into a new Golf/GTI/etc
- VW Credit relationship is good, and they will offer a nice rate/deal on a new car
- Helps soften the mileage overage fee blow, and eliminates early lease termination fees
- New car
- 2018 Model Year VW's get 6 year/72,000 mile warranty
- Carefree motoring for SIX YEARS.

3. Return GTI, take over 2017 Passat R-Line lease from my mom, and let her get her dream car.
- R-Line is a sweet looking, reliable car
- Comfortable and payment is lower than GTI's.
- Urano grey, LED lighting package on headlights and taillights :jimp:
- Kind of dull to drive, but a car is a car.

4. Get a Charger (Daytona 5.7L preferred, but I'll take any)
- New/CPO/Used TBD depending on deals

5. Get a beater car for a few years, save up some :waxer: and go from there.
- If I keep the GTI, payments would effectively be $17x-$2xx/month as a lease-to-own (one option)
- Get a used car
- Etc.

6. New appliance level car to beat the shit out of
- Maybe a GM product with Detroit :dill:

1) first off, you have a really clean GTI, even in person. But I can understand financial concerns, and I know some good indie shops locally (most only open on weekdays) so you won't get ass raped at a stealer with an out of warranty car.
2) NEW mk7.5 wouldn't be a bad idea considering what you get, and I would be jealous. :lol:
3) Not a bad idea, but kinda huge, especially when you wanna park parts of DC
4) Solid idea, size is truly a concern for our area. My mom had a v6 rental, and it is really a super comfy car, it's like a living room.
5) Fuck that, unless you get an 2005 accord, or a 2011ish jetta with 60-70k with $5,000
6) Fuck that, unless camaro SS
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
razr390

Yeah I’m either on the keep this one or get a new one because VW Crebitz, or take over mom’s Passat (she’d be paying for it) so she can get her c300.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

In this situation, I like the idea of keeping the GTI for the time being. Check out what similar eggs are selling for to make sure he's not upside down on it. A cheap monthly on a known car wouldn't be the worst thing in this current situation.
Johnny_P

razr390 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:08 am

You haz MK6?
Yeah it’s definitely a give/take. The car has 65,xxx and hasn’t given me any issues except WP (which was replaced twice. Once because it was a slow leak, another because of recall). WP’s on my Mk6 are covered until 120,000 miles IIRC;

IM was done under oowertrain but AFAIK they mentioned that it was covered until 120,000 again since it’s an issue with the MK6. They said there was minimal carbon build up when I did the cleaning, but that it was good that I did it for warranty/Extended Warranty/etc since there’s evidence that I maintained the car properly in case of any claims.

I drove the car pretty hard back in FL, but now it’s barely being driven (maybe 3-5 miles a day in average) and the traffic laws here are full :flaccid:
2 water pumps
Intake manifold
Carbon buildup that needed to be scraped off

Why I left VW
razr390

Apex wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:11 am In this situation, I like the idea of keeping the GTI for the time being. Check out what similar eggs are selling for to make sure he's not upside down on it. A cheap monthly on a known car wouldn't be the worst thing in this current situation.

Even if “upside down” factor in cost to own + expenses of getting a NEW car (non lease) or a USED/CPO with no real gauge as to how it’s been treated by previous owners
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

razr390 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:08 am

You haz MK6?

that explains why I drive like a grandma compared to you :lol: fucking Vagina erhmmm virginia.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

razr390 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:16 am
Apex wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:11 am In this situation, I like the idea of keeping the GTI for the time being. Check out what similar eggs are selling for to make sure he's not upside down on it. A cheap monthly on a known car wouldn't be the worst thing in this current situation.

Even if “upside down” factor in cost to own + expenses of getting a NEW car (non lease) or a USED/CPO with no real gauge as to how it’s been treated by previous owners
Just do some serious thought into long term reliability. Upside down = stuck in car for a while. Check with Sauce who seemed to have an egg for the most miles and off'd it due to issues.

If it runs into issues, not only are you on the hook for them, but you're also in a bad position to off it into something more reliable. Not to mention, if you're wrapping lease overage fees into it, that'll make the situation even worse.

Cheap leases aren't the worst thing in the world when you're starting out in life. The "my car broke and I can't make it into the office" excuse really doesn't fly when you're young and trying to get ahead. A $250/mo 2 or 3 year lease on something basic while you establish yourself isn't a horrible idea. A VW :dillerman: might be able to help wipe out lease overage fees if you lease something new. Even just a basic egg or Jetta that you can ride ZFG to your next step.

Just consider all your options.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.