Do you even Crock-Pot bro? DFD Cooking Thread

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

Sno wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:19 am
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:11 am

I think it depends on what you expect and what you will use it for.

A lot of the stuff I see on YouTube makes no sense, the traditional way is better and not much harder.

This thing is just a pressure cooker / crock pot combo and 90% of the recipes are things I wouldn't make.

Mashed potatoes is much easier though for sure and a lot less mess to clean up. I think finding those items is key, at least in my opinion.
Makes sense. I couldn’t figure out why people were all hyped over it when pressure cookers have been a thing for years? But there are certainly recipes I would use in certain devices. Beef stew in a crock pot, sure, lasagna? No. And have seenplenty of stupid Pinterest recipes telling me lasagna in a crockpot is a great idea.
Pressure cookers have been around for years and they are awesome. You can cook food in a fraction of the time..

I think the hype with Instapot is that it's safe. Regular pressure cookers are basically bombs in your kitchen. The electric smart pressure cooker just makes it easy and safe for everyone.

We make the the normal crock pot stuff in there. Nothing crazy. There have been multiple times where we come home from work and don't know what to cook and can make a pot roast in 45 minutes.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:15 am
Sno wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:19 am

Makes sense. I couldn’t figure out why people were all hyped over it when pressure cookers have been a thing for years? But there are certainly recipes I would use in certain devices. Beef stew in a crock pot, sure, lasagna? No. And have seenplenty of stupid Pinterest recipes telling me lasagna in a crockpot is a great idea.
apparently a lot of people are afraid of pressure cookers, this dumbs it down and makes it easy-peasey.
I was not one of those people, but the wife was/is.

The thing is pretty sweet :doe: it made bomb ass pork shoulder that took like 6 hours in the oven in under 2 hours start to cleaned.
I could see that for sure. I just don't do that kind of meat indoors, I use the smoker and want the smoke ring and infused flavor. If you cook meats inside that need a lot of connective tissue breakdown, like Brisket and pork shoulder, this would work great to speed it up.

My sister did ribs in hers and when I commented about the lack of smoke flavor she actually recommended I try........ liquid....fucking....smoke. :yikes:

Needless to say, I've disowned her.

:hue:
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

I get the appeal of these things and actual pressure cookers - I just don't want another thing to store, buried in a cabinet, when I'll only use it a few (very optimistically) times a month.

I'll just keep doing things the old fashioned way :wap:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

4zilch wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:01 am I get the appeal of these things and actual pressure cookers - I just don't want another thing to store, buried in a cabinet, when I'll only use it a few (very optimistically) times a month.

:dat:

Tiny kitchen problems. If I were in charge, we'd get rid of about half the shit in our kitchen because it's used less than once a quarter.
Sno
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Fiiiiiiiiiiiiat

4zilch wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:01 am I get the appeal of these things and actual pressure cookers - I just don't want another thing to store, buried in a cabinet, when I'll only use it a few (very optimistically) times a month.

:dat: we use a crockpot once a year? If? Dat big green egg, doe... and that thing can be stored on the porch.

Brad, Kellie is actually one I had felt expressed some disappointment? Made a chili and it worked but the flavor wasn’t quite there like it would be had she done it traditionally? It was a fleeting thing on the Insta so I could be way off and remembering incorrectly.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:58 pm At the risk of being sucked into your wedding planner decorative vortex, that is kind of cute.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:54 am

apparently a lot of people are afraid of pressure cookers, this dumbs it down and makes it easy-peasey.

The thing is pretty sweet :doe: it made bomb ass pork shoulder that took like 6 hours in the oven in under 2 hours start to cleaned.
I could see that for sure. I just don't do that kind of meat indoors, I use the smoker and want the smoke ring and infused flavor. If you cook meats inside that need a lot of connective tissue breakdown, like Brisket and pork shoulder, this would work great to speed it up.

My sister did ribs in hers and when I commented about the lack of smoke flavor she actually recommended I try........ liquid....fucking....smoke. :yikes:

Yea i don't do smoker. sure its good food and all.... much more of a hobby and I have enough of those. Maybe one day.

Until then I'm not above adding a bit of liquid smoke to my things, esp the beef jerky I make
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Sno wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:14 am

:dat: we use a crockpot once a year? If? Dat big green egg, doe... and that thing can be stored on the porch.

Brad, Kellie is actually one I had felt expressed some disappointment? Made a chili and it worked but the flavor wasn’t quite there like it would be had she done it traditionally? It was a fleeting thing on the Insta so I could be way off and remembering incorrectly.
That was the first time we used it, and it was very :notsure: .

We have since used it for a few things and found some of its strengths and weaknesses.

Chili is a good example... sure you can pressure cook it and it will be done faster and ok to eat, but a good chili takes time. I deally you let it sit overnight and reseason the next day even. So instant pot might not be the best for chili.

Making broth? Have not done it yet but i bet it will kill for that.
cooking tough meats? :mindblown: .
speeding up one pot recipes? :notbad:
Potatoes and other dense root veg? :notbad:
cooking shit from frozen quickly? :notbad:

Any "one pot" recipe that calls for sauteing small chunks of meat? :disgust:
Anything with ground meat? :disgust:
brain go brrrrrr
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:30 am
Sno wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:14 am

That was the first time we used it, and it was very :notsure: .

We have since used it for a few things and found some of its strengths and weaknesses.

Chili is a good example... sure you can pressure cook it and it will be done faster and ok to eat, but a good chili takes time. I deally you let it sit overnight and reseason the next day even. So instant pot might not be the best for chili.

Making broth? Have not done it yet but i bet it will kill for that.
cooking tough meats? :mindblown: .
speeding up one pot recipes? :notbad:
Potatoes and other dense root veg? :notbad:
cooking shit from frozen quickly? :notbad:

Any "one pot" recipe that calls for sauteing small chunks of meat? :disgust:
Anything with ground meat? :disgust:
Cooking tough meats quickly is probably the biggest advantage, as with any pressure cooker. I just don't get into those situations very often, and when I do I've usually planned far enough ahead to just do it the slow way...dutch oven braiser, etc.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:21 am

Yea i don't do smoker. sure its good food and all.... much more of a hobby and I have enough of those. Maybe one day.

Until then I'm not above adding a bit of liquid smoke to my things, esp the beef jerky I make
Smoker is 5/7 once you get the hang of it. I can literally get a pork butt started in the morning. Fiddle with the vents to get the temp stabilized and go run errands for the rest of the day. Assuming you started with enough fuel its pretty full proof. Doing a butt on the Weber might even be easier than the egg, you just don't have much control - no temp gauge, less than ideal airflow control.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

4zilch wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:46 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:21 am

Smoker is 5/7 once you get the hang of it. I can literally get a pork butt started in the morning. Fiddle with the vents to get the temp stabilized and go run errands for the rest of the day. Assuming you started with enough fuel its pretty full proof. Doing a butt on the Weber might even be easier than the egg, you just don't have much control - no temp gauge, less than ideal airflow control.
Get a Stoker or other temp controller for the Egg or Weber. These changed my life.

Perfect temp control and a history of the cook at your fingertips with an app or web browser.

Also, my last 3 or 4 Butts and Briskets have actually been high heat on the smokers. I start them low to get the smoke ring and after about 45 minutes I ramp up the temp to 400F or so and they get done in under 6 hours instead of doing 12+ hours. No difference in the final product that anyone can tell.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

dubshow wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:30 pm Blam. Marinated pork chops. Sour cream whipped Tates. Some roasted asparagus with a beer reduced glaze. ImageImageImage

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
That looks delicious. :drool:
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:23 am
4zilch wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:46 am

Get a Stoker or other temp controller for the Egg or Weber. These changed my life.

Perfect temp control and a history of the cook at your fingertips with an app or web browser.

Also, my last 3 or 4 Butts and Briskets have actually been high heat on the smokers. I start them low to get the smoke ring and after about 45 minutes I ramp up the temp to 400F or so and they get done in under 6 hours instead of doing 12+ hours. No difference in the final product that anyone can tell.
Useful, but not required IMO. I usually do butts in 8 hrs @ 250-275. I've done them at 300 as well with good results. The funny thing is I get them done on the Weber and have no idea what temp it's running - I just check occasionally to see how fast it's using charcoal and adjust the damper accordingly. When the bone can be separated from the meat with a twist, it's done.

I have considered building a device for cold smoking on the EGG :doe:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

4zilch wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:30 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:23 am

Useful, but not required IMO. I usually do butts in 8 hrs @ 250-275. I've done them at 300 as well with good results. The funny thing is I get them done on the Weber and have no idea what temp it's running - I just check occasionally to see how fast it's using charcoal and adjust the damper accordingly. When the bone can be separated from the meat with a twist, it's done.

:wtf: is cold smoking
brain go brrrrrr
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:41 pm

For smoking already cooked/cured :meat:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoking_( ... ld_smoking

edit: according to wiki, what I'd primarily do is "hot smoking" - basically smoking at <150*F
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '04 R32, '90 Miata, '17 CB300F

Sno wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:14 am :dat: we use a crockpot once a year? If? Dat big green egg, doe... and that thing can be stored on the porch.
:surprised: The crock pot has become almost a weekly meal prep staple. I tend to throw something in the crock pot that is going to be my lunch while I am doing the work on breakfast or a dinner.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Typically a separate hot smoke box with the smoke being diverted to where the meat is, being cooled along the way. Think smoked salmon that people put on bagels

Mmmmmmm
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

KYGTIGuy wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:31 pm

Typically a separate hot smoke box with the smoke being diverted to where the meat is, being cooled along the way. Think smoked salmon that people put on bagels

Mmmmmmm
:dat: lox :doe: :drool:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Yeah, that's just dumb. Who cooks spaghetti in a pressure cooker? Boiling water too complicated? Don't have 4-5 minutes?
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

KYGTIGuy wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:19 am
Yeah, that's just dumb. Who cooks spaghetti in a pressure cooker? Boiling water too complicated? Don't have 4-5 minutes?
People are idiots.

Like I mentioned before, there are so many people on youtube making videos for recipies in this thing that just don't make sense. Many are harder than the original and yield sub-par results, but they are so happy about it. "It's not great, but it's okay" or "I can only make 3 of these individual cakes, but that's not bad for only taking 1 hour. I'll just do 5 batches before Thanksgiving! Thanks InstanPot!!!"

:wtf:

Also, I am pretty grossed out at seeing some of the kitchens these people post in their videos. Unknown substances sprayed on the backsplash or wall of the kitchen that has dried on over months/years. Letting babies hold utensils and bowls/lids with runny noses and everything goes in their mouth.... then, right into contact with the food.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:30 am
KYGTIGuy wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:19 am

People are idiots.

Like I mentioned before, there are so many people on youtube making videos for recipies in this thing that just don't make sense. Many are harder than the original and yield sub-par results, but they are so happy about it. "It's not great, but it's okay" or "I can only make 3 of these individual cakes, but that's not bad for only taking 1 hour. I'll just do 5 batches before Thanksgiving! Thanks InstanPot!!!"

:wtf:

Also, I am pretty grossed out at seeing some of the kitchens these people post in their videos. Unknown substances sprayed on the backsplash or wall of the kitchen that has dried on over months/years. Letting babies hold utensils and bowls/lids with runny noses and everything goes in their mouth.... then, right into contact with the food.
:gag:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

Sent from the Beer Depository
:therapist:
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Calvinball wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:19 pm Image

Sent from the Beer Depository
:drool:
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '04 R32, '90 Miata, '17 CB300F

If today was any indication, lunch this week will be 5/7, even being vegetarian. :wtf: right?

Leftover black bean soup I made a few weeks ago and froze. The heat got a little more intense which is great for the cold week we're having. Topped it with the last bit of queso fresco I left at work from chicken tortilla soup week. Yesterday I made the spinach balls, a recipe I got from my mother, and some veggie rice, a recipe I decoded from watching my Italian g-ma cook since she never measures anything ever.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Ain't nobody going to sell any BBQ made in their insta pot.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.