Home chat 1.0

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!

How do you house, brah?

Own it
67%
Rent it
19%
:crang: in mom's basement
10%
:dong: grabbing frat house
2%
At school
No votes
I'm nomadic
2%

Total votes: 42
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

I'm going through similar feels as Detroit while pickling out surfaces for our first floor reno.

This 8" wide plank that we chose earlier. White oak, clear varnish. I went full :fap: over it and she says:

"That hardwood is not happening worst colour out there"

:wtf: Image
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote:
Detroit wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:17 pm Dude, brick veneer backsplash is all over pinshit. She showed me. It's all the rage for a "rustic" (I'm so sick of that fucking word) wall treatment in the kitchen. Why? I have no idea.

I've been pushing hard for porcelain tile. That's "boring" and "overdone" apparently.

Holy fuck guise.
LOL, you need the Fax to send in an airstrike and Napalm her with proper architectural sensibility and utility considerations. Dude will also probably want to replace your steam heater with a nuclear reactor.
Bring your passport if you're heading this way.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

So we sat down with her pinterest account found a floor we both like. Same product but finished in "bleach white". :notbad:

We will solidify this decision with :dock: Image
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Tarspin wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:12 pm So we sat down with her pinterest account found a floor we both like. Same product but finished in "bleach white". :notbad:

:notbad:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Had a bit more good fortune yesterday. Playing with the stud finder :hue: I realized that the floor joists above the kitchen are going in a different direction than I had previously thought. The direction in which I could put a vent hood duct through.

One 90-degree from the hood and then an 8-foot run directly outside. Less than ideal, but it should still be very effective.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Wait until he finds out what happens once all the effort is put into installing a vent hood is finished.

Come home.
House is full of smoke.

Dafuq?!

Oh, I forgot we had a vent fan.
:derp: :fullretard: :facepalm: :rage:
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Melon wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:12 am Wait until he finds out what happens once all the effort is put into installing a vent hood is finished.

Come home.
House is full of smoke.

Dafuq?!

grease all over those shelves too.
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth

Melon wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:12 am Wait until he finds out what happens once all the effort is put into installing a vent hood is finished.

Come home.
House is full of smoke.

Dafuq?!

:lolol:

She's claiming this to be the end-all be-all of smoke and grease capture. I keep warning her about the open shelves, and she says the vent fan will solve everything. That and I need to use the splatter screen more often when I cook.

It's always MY fault. I warned her.

At least I'll be able to put the cabinets back up when it's :nuke: I'm just excited that I can route the ducting for the hood so easy.

Finding a hood has proven to be not so easy. We decided to do a 36" hood over the 30" range, which is apparently 5/7 for catching more crap (which would complicate cabinet install, but whatever)...and I wish stupid GE would make the matching slate hood with more juice than 350 cfm. That'll be nothing when you factor in the ducting. I figure I need 700 at a minimum.

Might just look for a cover and/or make my own out of stupid pallet wood or some shit.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:53 am

Come home.
House is full of smoke.

Dafuq?!

One good bitching at, and a change in cooking methods has solved the problem.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Melon wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:16 am

The threat of "if you do this again im not helping you clean, and if its so bad that it needs painting YOU are paying for it" has solved my problem.
brain go brrrrrr
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote:
Tarspin wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:12 pm So we sat down with her pinterest account found a floor we both like. Same product but finished in "bleach white". :notbad:

:notbad:
:yesth:

I personally worry that it will get played out in a few years and natural wood is the better long term play but i also :aintcare: and Nicole has good style sense.

Contractor is looking into the finish and will get back to us.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote:

Come home.
House is full of smoke.

Dafuq?!

Imageol:

She's claiming this to be the end-all be-all of smoke and grease capture. I keep warning her about the open shelves, and she says the vent fan will solve everything. That and I need to use the splatter screen more often when I cook.

At least I'll be able to put the cabinets back up when it's :nuke: I'm just excited that I can route the ducting for the hood so easy.

Finding a hood has proven to be not so easy. We decided to do a 36" hood over the 30" range, which is apparently 5/7 for catching more crap (which would complicate cabinet install, but whatever)...and I wish stupid GE would make the matching slate hood with more juice than 350 cfm. That'll be nothing when you factor in the ducting. I figure I need 700 at a minimum.

Might just look for a cover and/or make my own out of stupid pallet wood or some shit.
Oh right the hood, we are looking at that too. So apparently nobody does the exposed ones anymore.... pinterest :rage:

Now we are shopping for a different type that can be embedded into faux cabinets/facia which weren't in the original quote. Similar to what Wap has in his kitchen. Price for said cabinet add-on is unknown.

Someone needs to shut that sight down.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:44 am Had a bit more good fortune yesterday. Playing with the stud finder :hue: I realized that the floor joists above the kitchen are going in a different direction than I had previously thought. The direction in which I could put a vent hood duct through.

One 90-degree from the hood and then an 8-foot run directly outside. Less than ideal, but it should still be very effective.
:fuckyeah:
That's good news indeed!
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

Come home.
House is full of smoke.

Dafuq?!

:dat:
wap

Detroit wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:07 am

Come home.
House is full of smoke.

Dafuq?!

Going 3" over on each side of the stove is 5/7 and will help a lot. But you definitely want more than 350 cfm. What happened to the copper hood you linked yesterday? Not pinshitty enough?
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Come home.
House is full of smoke.

Dafuq?!

setting up for failboat
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:23 am

The threat of "if you do this again im not helping you clean, and if its so bad that it needs painting YOU are paying for it" has solved my problem.
I made it clear that she's cleaning the shelves and the stuff on them regularly. She agreed.
ChrisoftheNorth

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:26 am

setting up for failboat
:butwhy:

Seems like a 5/7 decision?
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:23 am

I have to use that with Michelle. She refuses to read instructions and just does things how she thinks it should be done. "Do you, but anything you break, you're paying to replace or learning to live without it."
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

That looks good. Michelle is all about white stuff, I think she'd dig hardwood that looks like that.
wap

Detroit wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:00 am

setting up for failboat

:dat: :iono:

If we could have, I would have liked to have gotten a 54" hood for my 48" range.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

SAWCE wrote:

That looks good. Michelle is all about white stuff, I think she'd dig hardwood that looks like that.
Most womenz will like it so that makes the house marketable if we go to sell. It's kind of a style right now.

I'm still admiring the first sample wishing it would go down. It looks 5/7 in natural light. I'd much rather this stuff (daylight pic below) but Nicole thinks it is too orange.

Going with the white/grey stain does work well with our furniture and maintains a light and "airy" feel to the house that we currently have with light grey tiles and maple wood strip floors.Image
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:37 am

:dat: :iono:

If we could have, I would have liked to have gotten a 54" hood for my 48" range.
It just makes sense. The ONE nice thing that these open shelves make available.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

setting up for failboat

you won't be able to put your old cabinets back up! :wtf:
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

SAWCE wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:22 am

:jizz: :hue: :hue: :hue: :hue: :hue: :hue: :hue:
brain go brrrrrr