Home chat 1.0

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!

How do you house, brah?

Own it
67%
Rent it
19%
:crang: in mom's basement
10%
:dong: grabbing frat house
2%
At school
No votes
I'm nomadic
2%

Total votes: 42
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:01 am
wap wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:02 pm Does GE make a matching range hood? How about matching dish washer and fridge in that same slate finish?
They do...we'll likely upgrade everything to slate since our current appliances are pushing 20 years old and starting to get sketchy.

The range hood is the issue. It's a :jalepenis: 350 CFM unit. Seems woefully underpowered, so we'll likely have to pick something else.
Can you just get a more powerful hood and mount it inside a cabinet like mine? Then there's no worries about matching. :iono:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:36 am
Detroit wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:09 pm
I looked into it briefly. It would cost me a few grand to upgrade my house to be "smart" which is funny considering it's so old it doesn't even have insulation. In Michigan. Where it routinely sees sub-zero temps.

Also, none of my outlets are grounded.

I can see the value, but only in newly built houses with everything in there from the get-go. That's why this shit will never really be commonplace.

I guess I'm too :scrooge: and :wap: to really get into this tech. I'm with you on TV's BTW...though the handy from Angelina part? :notbad:
I've got all my switches in the house converted over to smart control now. I also have a few of the too expensive LED bulbs here and there that change color. I've changed the colors exactly 0 times after the first month.

I also rarely use the google home anymore, so I might just unplug them and get rid of them. I can use the Smartthings app to control all the lighting, especially when away from home, so that works. The one nice thing (beyond remote control when on vacation) about replacing all the switches was that all of the inside light switches are dimmers.

I really don't find myself using the google home to turn on the TV, or to start playing a youtube channel on the TV, or to change the input on the TV... it's a gimmick that is cool, but not really something I use. However, it is cool for asking about traffic and travel times, or weird general information, but the google assistant on my phone can do it all.

As for the TV, I specifically did NOT buy the curved screen. They have a very narrow sweet spot and I believe they are a fad that will go away like 3DTV.
:word:
As I suspected, gimmicky electronic doodads are often just gimmicks.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Detroit wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:10 pm
wap wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:30 pm

Just saw this. Nice range. You'll like a fifth burner and the fact that it's a griddle burner (elongated) makes it pretty useful. You'll also like the second oven for things like casserole dishes, etc, as you mentioned. This darker stainless finish is getting popular. Is that why she thinks it's cute? My only reservation is the electronic controls for the oven. I like total :manuel: controls. The simpler it is the more durable. But I suppose it's getting harder and harder to find non-electronic appliances and with that warranty you should be fine.

FWIW, DCS used to make GE's Monogram line, :notsure: if they still do or if they make, or ever made, their Profile line. :whocares:
The slate color is really unique. It's a flat finish that doesn't smudge at all. Our stainless constantly looks like shit, so we're really not interested in stainless variations anymore. Nobody seems to do the slate finish yet, but I bet it'll be the next big thing.

I agree, I wish it didn't have electric oven control, but whatever. That's all they are. Plus, need the :crang: control.
Slate looks good. I like the double oven aspect. :doit:
Although the thought of getting a text message when my chicken is done is :disgust:
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

https://www.etsy.com/listing/241876834/ ... llery-1-16

Want

I need a corner TV unit. All the ones available look like complete ass. Wonder if my local guy can do something similar to this. $1100 for a wood shelf is rather expensive, but if it were like $450-800 range....
wap

Spent about 3 hours under the upstairs bathroom sink yesterday. :disgust:
The lever that moves the stopper up and down rusted away so the stopper wouldn't lift up. While diagnosing this I found the shut off valve for the hot water was leaking rather substantially. Went to the local hardware store and found replacement parts for both and swapped them out. Also, while I was in there I replaced the P trap for good measure since I had a found a brand new one in my basement that I forgot I had. I normally hate plumbing DIY's but I have the tools and I have a roll of teflon tape so I went and did it and what do you know, nothing leaks. :notbad:
:csb:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:59 pm
Detroit wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:28 pm

If I could save $300 and ditch wifi, I would.

How do you like the Samsung stuff? The oven that converts from small to large is really appealing...really clever design. Can you cook things at different temps in each section?
I was a high end GE guy for about 13 years and honestly the stuff is not worth the money. We replaced 3 $1000+ dishwashers and 2 $3000+ fridges. We switched to the Samsung stuff and so far I am impressed.

For the oven, yeah, we do a lot of double cooking, especially when the wife wants to make some kind of dessert to be served still warm from the oven. Remove the divider and you can do a massive turkey or something.
Interesting. We had 10+ year old GE appliances at our last house that were solid...then we have GE appliances at this house that are pushing 20 years old and still mostly solid. The fridge seems to be on it's way out, but it doesn't seem like modern fridges make it 20 years from any brand.

We'll take a closer look at Samsung stuff before pulling the trigger. Wife is really into the slate finish that it seems only GE does, but she loved that convertible oven thing, so maybe Samsung will be a solid option.

Though, channelling my inner Walt Kowalski, it sure would be nice to buy something from a Murican company.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:37 pm
Detroit wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:01 am
They do...we'll likely upgrade everything to slate since our current appliances are pushing 20 years old and starting to get sketchy.

The range hood is the issue. It's a :jalepenis: 350 CFM unit. Seems woefully underpowered, so we'll likely have to pick something else.
Can you just get a more powerful hood and mount it inside a cabinet like mine? Then there's no worries about matching. :iono:
If we can't find anything we like, this is certainly an option.

The challenge is...I got pinshitted HARD.

She wants to put wood on the entire wall behind the cooking area. Pallet wood, reclaimed wood, something that we just liquid nails up. I :rolleyes: so hard that my eyes caught a glimpse of my brain that was also :rolleyes:

And to make matters worse, she wants open shelving in place of the cabinets...that are also wood. If I hear the word "rustic" one more time I'm going to :gag:

So we'll have "rustic" wood shelves on a "rustic" wood wall and then what's the range hood cover? Wood again? It'll look like pinshit vomit. Worst thing is I know she's not going to like it when it's done, but she's adamant. So I have to go along with this :gag: plan until it's done and she realizes it's horrible and I have to redo it again.

I did at least talk her into tile on the wall between the range and the hood for easier cleaning. So there's that.

We both like copper, so I'm pushing for a hood like this:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/ZLINE-Kitch ... /206922147
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Detroit wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:32 am

She wants to put wood on the entire wall behind the cooking area.

And to make matters worse, she wants open shelving in place of the cabinets...that are also wood.
ok, lets just break down these two things minues all the obvious distain for houzz kitcen pr0n

Wood is a fucking terrible backsplash material choice. It absorbs water. Grease will stain it.
It also might not be code compliant (nb: wood burns when exposed to heat) That might be the angle to use to get out of dis

Open cabinets are a fucking. terrible. Idea. You are literally quadrupling the number of surfaces to clean. Your things on these cabinets get dirty/dusty from the aforementioned water and grease. The practical translation means that when you use any dish other than your daily drivers you have to fucking wash them BEFORE and after use.

Not to mention that you need to refinish the entire wall behind the perfectly good cabinets you pull out. (nb: even paint has thickness) Part of the reason you are looking at 30" ranges is to avoid cabinet work.

You should seriously consider using veto powers on that shit.
brain go brrrrrr
Jaxper
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: MK7 GTI

The move was a success! Finished with plenty of time to spare for the Eagles game. Now, I'll just be looking for things forever, not knowing where they ended up.
The panda hath arrived.
wap

She wants to put wood on the entire wall behind the cooking area. Pallet wood, reclaimed wood, something that we just liquid nails up. I :rolleyes: so hard that my eyes caught a glimpse of my brain that was also :rolleyes:

And to make matters worse, she wants open shelving in place of the cabinets...that are also wood. If I hear the word "rustic" one more time I'm going to :gag:

So we'll have "rustic" wood shelves on a "rustic" wood wall and then what's the range hood cover? Wood again? It'll look like pinshit vomit. Worst thing is I know she's not going to like it when it's done, but she's adamant. So I have to go along with this :gag: plan until it's done and she realizes it's horrible and I have to redo it again.

I did at least talk her into tile on the wall between the range and the hood for easier cleaning. So there's that.

:lolol: on the bolded. And :rolleyes: on everything else.

I was going to suggest a copper hood! Hammered copper especially can look "rustic".

And you're right, she's going to hate it the first time she takes something down off one of those exposed shelves and she finds that it's covered by a thin, sticky layer of grease from the range, regardless of what hood you buy. Did you notice that display shelf we have above our hood in my pic? Even with our badass hood stuff up there still needs to be taken down and washed every so often because it gets grimy.
wap

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:47 am

And to make matters worse, she wants open shelving in place of the cabinets...that are also wood.
ok, lets just break down these two things minues all the obvious distain for houzz kitcen pr0n

Wood is a fucking terrible backsplash material choice. It absorbs water. Grease will stain it.
It also might not be code compliant (nb: wood burns when exposed to heat) That might be the angle to use to get out of dis

Open cabinets are a fucking. terrible. Idea. You are literally quadrupling the number of surfaces to clean. Your things on these cabinets get dirty/dusty from the aforementioned water and grease. The practical translation means that when you use any dish other than your daily drivers you have to fucking wash them BEFORE and after use.

Not to mention that you need to refinish the entire wall behind the perfectly good cabinets you pull out. (nb: even paint has thickness) Part of the reason you are looking at 30" ranges is to avoid cabinet work.

:fuckyeah: post for confirmation of what I just said plus the very good point of wood being a :fullretard: backsplash material for all the reasons given.
wap

Jaxper wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:15 am The move was a success! Finished with plenty of time to spare for the Eagles game. Now, I'll just be looking for things forever, not knowing where they ended up.
:fuckyeah:
At least you know whatever you're looking for is SOMEWHERE in the house. :)
ChrisoftheNorth

Oh, I like the fire code idea. This might get me places.

I fucking HATE open shelving. But she's been talking about it for years and won't let it go. I think I'll just find a cheap way to get them up, she'll realize how horrible it is, and we'll put the old cabinets back up. We're going to hang them in the basement, so it'll be minimal waste if I can get the shelves up for cheap.

Every time I object to these horrible ideas, I get the "I know what I like, just do what I say" response. Unfortunately, she has a keen eye for interior design, and all our friends have blown her head up way out of proportion commending her on her skills so her confidence in her ideas are off the charts.

I think the pinshit ideas are absolutely horrific, but she's adamant that I don't know what I'm talking about.

Thanks for the fire code idea, doe. I think I can spin this as my get out of jail card on this awful idea.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:21 am

I was going to suggest a copper hood! Hammered copper especially can look "rustic".

And you're right, she's going to hate it the first time she takes something down off one of those exposed shelves and she finds that it's covered by a thin, sticky layer of grease from the range, regardless of what hood you buy. Did you notice that display shelf we have above our hood in my pic? Even with our badass hood stuff up there still needs to be taken down and washed every so often because it gets grimy.
We pulled the cabinets down yesterday, and as we did so we were horrified at how greasy they were. They "look" clean too and we clean them on the regular! I told her that this crap on the cabinets will end up on the stuff on the shelves and she blamed our worthless microwave "hood" and that it won't be a problem.

The only way she's going to figure this out is with experience. I'm already preparing myself for putting the cabinets back up...I'm just going to need to figure out how to reserve my "I FUCKING TOLD YOU SO"'s when she realized that the open shelving is horrible.

Fucking pinshit.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Detroit wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:17 am

I fucking HATE open shelving. But she's been talking about it for years and won't let it go. I think I'll just find a cheap way to get them up, she'll realize how horrible it is, and we'll put the old cabinets back up. We're going to hang them in the basement, so it'll be minimal waste if I can get the shelves up for cheap.

Every time I object to these horrible ideas, I get the "I know what I like, just do what I say" response. Unfortunately, she has a keen eye for interior design, and all our friends have blown her head up way out of proportion commending her on her skills so her confidence in her ideas are off the charts.

I think the pinshit ideas are absolutely horrific, but she's adamant that I don't know what I'm talking about.

Thanks for the fire code idea, doe. I think I can spin this as my get out of jail card on this awful idea.
I'm no interior designer, but I am a clean freak. If I were you I would put my foot down and say you don't want your dishes exposed to the open room. Maybe get her to agree to some glass faced cabinets (fuck if I know if these are in style or not) that gives you a sense of cleanliness, even if it is false.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Detroit wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:21 am

We pulled the cabinets down yesterday, and as we did so we were horrified at how greasy they were. They "look" clean too and we clean them on the regular! I told her that this crap on the cabinets will end up on the stuff on the shelves and she blamed our worthless microwave "hood" and that it won't be a problem.

The only way she's going to figure this out is with experience. I'm already preparing myself for putting the cabinets back up...I'm just going to need to figure out how to reserve my "I FUCKING TOLD YOU SO"'s when she realized that the open shelving is horrible.

Fucking pinshit.
I do believe that even the limited Google Wifi lets you block sites.....

:doit:
ChrisoftheNorth

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:24 am

Fucking pinshit.
I do believe that even the limited Google Wifi lets you block sites.....

:doit:
:ohdang: really?

I need to check in the app...
ChrisoftheNorth

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:23 am

I'm no interior designer, but I am a clean freak. If I were you I would put my foot down and say you don't want your dishes exposed to the open room. Maybe get her to agree to some glass faced cabinets (fuck if I know if these are in style or not) that gives you a sense of cleanliness, even if it is false.
I dunno. I think the first time she pulls a greasy plate down it'll be :nope:

Or at least I'm hoping. I'm not winning this battle. I love my wife, but when she has her mind made up on something, there's absolutely nothing that will change it. And I'm not willing to battle, just not worth it. Hanging shelves are simple. I'll just use paper plates from the basement for eating off of. She can deal with the messy plates.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Detroit wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:28 am
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:23 am

Or at least I'm hoping. I'm not winning this battle. I love my wife, but when she has her mind made up on something, there's absolutely nothing that will change it. And I'm not willing to battle, just not worth it. Hanging shelves are simple. I'll just use paper plates from the basement for eating off of. She can deal with the messy plates.
Well boys, looks like we need to get another horse. We should find a more practical animal to beat to death and beyond. Maybe deer?
brain go brrrrrr
wap

Good luck!
It really is a terribad idea.
wap

Potential compromise:

What about ceramic tile that looks like wood? It's pretty popular now and would be safe for a backsplash. :iono:
wap

Fucking pinshit.
:(

Twelve hundred fucking CFM brah. And I still get greasy shit that needs cleaning. I know thta won't matter to her.

Can you compromise and mabye put open shelves somewhere else in the kitchen instead of over/near the range, like over/near the sink? Still a horrible idea, IMO, but maybe it'll cut down on the filth a bit.
ChrisoftheNorth

Got out of the wood...fairly easy because there's a "backup plan".

Are you ready for it?

Brick veneer.

That's right, let's glue fucking thin pieces of brick to the wall to make a plaster wall look like a brick wall. The entire wall too.

At least I have to do nearly zero prep to the wall because the brick will look uneven anyway. Apparently this was her first choice, but wanted wood "for me" because it was free. The fake brick wall will be pushing $700 in material alone.

And brick is porous AF. Cleaning it will be a nightmare unless we seal it.

I wish we could go back to the wood and just let the house burn down.

:rolleyes:
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:34 am
Detroit wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:28 am

Well boys, looks like we need to get another horse. We should find a more practical animal to beat to death and beyond. Maybe deer?
Do we get to eat it afterwards, or will it be beaten too badly?
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote:Got out of the wood...fairly easy because there's a "backup plan".

Are you ready for it?

Brick veneer.

That's right, let's glue fucking thin pieces of brick to the wall to make a plaster wall look like a brick wall. The entire wall too.

At least I have to do nearly zero prep to the wall because the brick will look uneven anyway. Apparently this was her first choice, but wanted wood "for me" because it was free. The fake brick wall will be pushing $700 in material alone.

And brick is porous AF. Cleaning it will be a nightmare unless we seal it.

I wish we could go back to the wood and just let the house burn down.

:rolleyes:
:fullretard: