OT 12: Pew Pew Pew

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

razr390 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:49 pm
wap wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:46 pm

FWIW it does come to an end eventually. Then it switches to christenings and :baby: birthday parties :disgust: Then graduation parties.
Then those :baby: grow up and you'll be invited to those weddings and the whole thing starts over again.
My point is that it’s okay to say “no, sorry, we can’t make it, you’ll probably be divorced within a few years anyways”

Maybe leave out the divorce part.

Fuck man if I had only a handful of vacay days I wouldn’t always want them to go toward some other person’s wedding. I need some me time too
We decline almost all weddings, unless one of us is asked to stand up in one. We went to one wedding last year, partially because Infamous was standing up in it, but also because they're anit-breeders like us, had it at a brewery and banned children. Half the bride's family didn't come out of boycott of the no kid rule. There was maybe 60 people total, family and friends, and a legit fun weekend.

Otherwise, weddings are a massive money suck and rate somewhere between 2-3/7 on the worth going scale. We'd much rather spend our time going on vacation doing shit we want to do.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:05 am
Johnny_P wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:51 pm

Really hoping we do the Pittrace thing as a forum this year. That would be cool.

Problem is, all the wedding trips are :waxer: AF and Lisa can't take any more time off than that. No time to go to abroad because she can only take long weekends really. To make somewhere like Spain or Germany or France work and be worth it you need more than 4 days, because jetlag. Ideally 2 weeks minimum.

I need to start going on bro date weekends with frandz doe.
you really should make some time for yourself. It's necessary for good mental health.
Make time. Put it on a calendar.
Yep. And I need my parents to realize I'm not spending $600 each round trip on flights to come visit them for a weekend twice a year. I told my parents I wasn't coming down for Christmas. Mom was pissed, and basically stopped talking to me, pretty sure my whole family was upset with that decision. Whatever, I couldn't do it. Then I get a birthday card from them (my Bday is in January) and they say they want to do a long weekend together somewhere like Chicago or who knows what.

Problem is.... I want the trip to be what I want. If I go with my parents somewhere, they'll be nervous about traveling to places they've never been, or eating strange food, or who knows, and I'll have to manage that. We did this last year, went to Savannah GA which was gorgeous. My mom only wanted to go to the more tourist areas, while Lisa and I found an art show at the local art college which was very strange, but also some other First Friday type things that ended up being a fun/strange/weird night. Mom was upset we didn't hang out with them that night because they only got to see us like 4 days total.

:rolleyes:

This is the shit I have to deal with. :crang:
So this year I've got the prerequisite mom/dad weekend somewhere random ($$$), plus the family trip which they're thinking cruise but no details until probably too late ($$$) and throw in a wedding or two ($$$) so then I've got to find something to do on my own because Lisa can't go.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Detroit wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:21 am

My point is that it’s okay to say “no, sorry, we can’t make it, you’ll probably be divorced within a few years anyways”

Fuck man if I had only a handful of vacay days I wouldn’t always want them to go toward some other person’s wedding. I need some me time too
We decline almost all weddings, unless one of us is asked to stand up in one. We went to one wedding last year, partially because Infamous was standing up in it, but also because they're anit-breeders like us, had it at a brewery and banned children. Half the bride's family didn't come out of boycott of the no kid rule. There was maybe 60 people total, family and friends, and a legit fun weekend.

Otherwise, weddings are a massive money suck and rate somewhere between 2-3/7 on the worth going scale. We'd much rather spend our time going on vacation doing shit we want to do.
yea, and destinations are worse. Its not that I don't care but there are financial realities to consider, not to mention time and mental energy ones. If you are having a wedding and outside of driving range....its not looking good for me to go.
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:26 am

you really should make some time for yourself. It's necessary for good mental health.
Yep. And I need my parents to realize I'm not spending $600 each round trip on flights to come visit them for a weekend twice a year. I told my parents I wasn't coming down for Christmas. Mom was pissed, and basically stopped talking to me, pretty sure my whole family was upset with that decision. Whatever, I couldn't do it. Then I get a birthday card from them (my Bday is in January) and they say they want to do a long weekend together somewhere like Chicago or who knows what.

Problem is.... I want the trip to be what I want. If I go with my parents somewhere, they'll be nervous about traveling to places they've never been, or eating strange food, or who knows, and I'll have to manage that. We did this last year, went to Savannah GA which was gorgeous. My mom only wanted to go to the more tourist areas, while Lisa and I found an art show at the local art college which was very strange, but also some other First Friday type things that ended up being a fun/strange/weird night. Mom was upset we didn't hang out with them that night because they only got to see us like 4 days total.

So this year I've got the prerequisite mom/dad weekend somewhere random ($$$), plus the family trip which they're thinking cruise but no details until probably too late ($$$) and throw in a wedding or two ($$$) so then I've got to find something to do on my own because Lisa can't go.
How about you schedule a b-day weekend where you want to go and invite them?

You gotta get off that teet man, sounds like you made a 1st step.
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

[user not found] wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:36 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:28 am

yea, and destinations are worse. Its not that I don't care but there are financial realities to consider, not to mention time and mental energy ones. If you are having a wedding and outside of driving range....its not looking good for me to go.
Some people do that be design. We almost did destination as an excuse to not invite our whole families.
And I 100% understand that. Not a situation I've run into yet, but its bound to happen. Still, dont be shocked when I don't go.
brain go brrrrrr
Johnny_P

Yep we've started to decline them as well.
Johnny_P

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:35 am

How about you schedule a b-day weekend where you want to go and invite them?

You gotta get off that teet man, sounds like you made a 1st step.
Yeah. I knew the :crang: momma guilt trip was coming, and it did hard but I basically :aintcare: about it. My therapist is helping me work through a lot of things. Mostly in my head, about why I can't do what I want and instead have to settle on what someone else wants.

I don't really want to go anywhere with my parents. Such a massive headache to deal with my mom. I guess cruise wouldn't be bad because I can go do whatever else I want on the boat. I don't want to be on a boat or do a cruise but there are worse things.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Sno wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:17 am
wap wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:05 am

For the same reason I no longer have memorized dozens of phone numbers of friends, family, etc.
I still don't have Zilch's phone number memorized. I've said for six years now I need to in case of emergency and yet here we are. I know its (812) 343 something but that's all I've got. Pathetic.
:millennial:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:43 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:38 am

And I 100% understand that. Not a situation I've run into yet, but its bound to happen. Still, dont be shocked when I don't go.
Right. You kinda get who you get and it might not be your dream guest list.
My sister did a wedding in Jamaica and it was alright. Not too many people showed up.
wap

:hai:
wap

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:26 am

I still don't have Zilch's phone number memorized. I've said for six years now I need to in case of emergency and yet here we are. I know its (812) 343 something but that's all I've got. Pathetic.
I know my numbers, Lisa's, and my mom's. That's it.
I know mine, my wife's cell, and my mom's. Can't remember my brother's home and will never learn his cell#. :wap: :member: :(
wap

Dat wedding sounds 5/7. We also banned young spawn from our wedding, too. It was great. :megusta:
wap

Happy birthday Brah! When is/was it?

As for the rest of this post, it all sounds like a bunch of :disgust: :nope:
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Morning DFD.
Apex

Oh hey, wedding talk.
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:12 am
Apex wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:58 amMorning DFD.
:howdy:
:hai: :[user not found]:
Johnny_P

wap wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:52 amHappy birthday Brah! When is/was it?

Jan 4th

I'm 33 :yikes:
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:52 am
troyguitar wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:53 pm I used to memorize a lot of things, but with smartphones+google it has become largely unnecessary.
Like six months ago NPR had a piece on how we are already living in an age of augmented and converged intelligence even though we aren't in the age of brain implants.
It's pretty cool and scary at the same time. Computers can learn faster than we can at this point. Like that computer that figured out the ancient chinese GO game or whatever it's called just from observing and trial-error.

I'm all for augmented and converged driving. The sooner the general public lets go of the steering wheel the better. Drivers are fucking morons and most people shouldn't be allowed to pilot a 2 ton child destroyer.
Johnny_P

wap wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:49 am

Dat wedding sounds 5/7. We also banned young spawn from our wedding, too. It was great. :megusta:
I don't mind kids at weddings as long as it's not full on :baby: having a screaming tantrum. Like why bring your kid to that. But if they're able to walk and not throw a fit, then it's all good.
wap

Apex wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:58 amMorning DFD.
Ay Pecs! :wub:
wap

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:25 am
wap wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:52 amHappy birthday Brah! When is/was it?

Jan 4th

I'm 33 :yikes:
Eh, you're still just a :baby:

:trollface:
Last edited by wap on Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
wap

Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:48 am We banned :crotchfruit: at or wedding too.

Was, hands-down, the best party I’ve been to and/or thrown. Guest list was under 90 people, we excluded liquor unless you brought it, and we had no official DJ, so we played the songs we wanted.

Can’t stand it when weddings get hijacked by some DJ who wants to play Electric Slide on repeat. :disgust:
Most wedding DJ's have been pretty decent IMO. One or two were terrible. I hate the game show style introductions and corny wedding traditions like eating of the cake, etc. I'd probably be fine without a DJ and just with spotify premium so no ads and a solid playlist of shit we wanted to hear.
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

wap wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:05 am

For the same reason I no longer have memorized dozens of phone numbers of friends, family, etc.
I know my wife’s because that’s what I enter at the grocery store for discounts and whatnot.
:therapist:
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

[user not found] wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:35 am

I'm pro-kid but firmly believe weddings should be kid free. The only wedding I've been to with kids that was still :fuckyeah: was :therapist:. My cousin had kids at their wedding and we didn't take our :baby:. Everyone was :wtf: but we just wanted to party and :drunk: and :dock:.
Ours worked cause all the kids (and their parents) in her clan are already so used to big parties. I knew exactly what it would be like.
:therapist: