Car Talk 2: Un-American Motor Company.

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:08 am
Detroit wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:05 am
:rage:

That's so shitty. I hate people and the cities they live in.
This is the first time I've ever heard of egging in the city. Most people are too poor for that here and instead just bat mirrors off cars or slash tires. Which doesn't happen in my hood because of the strong police presence and precinct a block away. Honestly heard more of egging when I was in high school in the burbs :sad:
Anywhere with a dense concentration of people like this, stupid shit is going to happen.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

fledonfoot wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:12 am
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:10 am

I still don't really know what to do. I guess call insurance and see what they say? I should probably wash it just to get the bs off but maybe a full detail isn't a good idea if they're going to be respraying the roof anyway?
File a police report and call the insurance company. Get the car to a good body shop.
I can stop by the precinct after work I guess. Will call insurance and discuss. Body shop wise I took my GTI to Cavallo's auto body in Newtown Square with good results so I'd probably do the same here. WRB is a pearl paint and I'd imagine rather easy to fuck up.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:14 am
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:08 am

This is the first time I've ever heard of egging in the city. Most people are too poor for that here and instead just bat mirrors off cars or slash tires. Which doesn't happen in my hood because of the strong police presence and precinct a block away. Honestly heard more of egging when I was in high school in the burbs :sad:
Anywhere with a dense concentration of people like this, stupid shit is going to happen.
It might just be beater time. Door ding, yeah that happens anywhere. Egg on car... wtf. I can't really have nice things until I'm no longer parking stuff in public or out in the open who am I kidding. This is the second most extreme thing I've had happen to my cars. Most extreme was my Focus got side swiped on the street by a new retard driver. Fortunately her air bags deployed and I got her info. But that car was royally fucked, whole rear quarter had to be replaced.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:17 am
It might just be beater time. Door ding, yeah that happens anywhere. Egg on car... wtf. I can't really have nice things until I'm no longer parking stuff in public or out in the open who am I kidding. This is the second most extreme thing I've had happen to my cars. Most extreme was my Focus got side swiped on the street by a new retard driver. Fortunately her air bags deployed and I got her info. But that car was royally fucked, whole rear quarter had to be replaced.
Cavallo's are good.

They're actually providing us with our Holiday dinner today. I'll talk to them and show them the pics if their manager shows up.
ChrisoftheNorth

I would ZFG beater street parking in the city, personally.

I'd be searching Saabarus. Still fun to drive, and fit a bunch of stuff in there, insurance is cheap because "Saab", etc.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P

fledonfoot wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:27 am

Cavallo's are good.

They're actually providing us with our Holiday dinner today. I'll talk to them and show them the pics if their manager shows up.
They're really friendly. Every time I've used them they've done a nice job and were rather quick.
I'm guessing the entire roof needs to be painted but who knows. I literally have no clue what happens in this sort of scenario. I should also have whoever does the roof address the door dings.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Eggs Johnny, :disgust:

Stupid ass teenagers need a beeting.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:31 am

I would ZFG beater street parking in the city, personally.

I'd be searching Saabarus. Still fun to drive, and fit a bunch of stuff in there, insurance is cheap because "Saab", etc.
:notbad:

I'll start looking for a beater.
I'm so upset by this. The door ding I can deal with and is a result of negligence and negligent people are everywhere. This? This is straight up vandalism with intentional damage.
Johnny_P

Claim opened with insurance :doomed:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote:
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:10 am I still don't really know what to do. I guess call insurance and see what they say? I should probably wash it just to get the bs off but maybe a full detail isn't a good idea if they're going to be respraying the roof anyway?
I'd try to clean it up the best I could, and maybe do some basic DIY detailing to see how screwed it really is. Then decide the best course of action.
:dat:
A solid buffing/cutting and some C-Quartz to protect it. I'd personally :troywax: on demt removal, full detail and paint correction all under the umbrella of "repair roof paint" and hit up insurance if possible.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:33 am
Detroit wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:31 am I would ZFG beater street parking in the city, personally.

I'm so upset by this. The door ding I can deal with and is a result of negligence and negligent people are everywhere. This? This is straight up vandalism with intentional damage.
It would be hard to not get upset by this, IMO. It's some serious :bs: Just shit people, man.
Johnny_P

Tarspin wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:36 am
Detroit wrote: I'd try to clean it up the best I could, and maybe do some basic DIY detailing to see how screwed it really is. Then decide the best course of action.
:dat:
A solid buffing/cutting and some C-Quartz to protect it. I'd personally :troywax: on demt removal, full detail and paint correction all under the umbrella of "repair roof paint" and hit up insurance if possible.
Fix roof with new paint job and door ding, shop will detail it I think (they usually do so :iono: ) and then offload it for a beater and give up on cars for a while.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:15 am
Tarspin wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:36 am :dat:
Fix roof with new paint job and door ding, shop will detail it I think (they usually do so :iono: ) and then offload it for a beater and give up on cars for a while.
:( yet solid plan given the circumstances.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:25 am
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:15 am

:( yet solid plan given the circumstances.
:dat: :sad:
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

Johnny_P wrote:
fledonfoot wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:27 am Cavallo's are good.

They're really friendly. Every time I've used them they've done a nice job and were rather quick.
I'm guessing the entire roof needs to be painted but who knows. I literally have no clue what happens in this sort of scenario. I should also have whoever does the roof address the door dings.
They did a damn fine job on my car.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Johnny_P

Beater recommendations?
-Under $10k
-Under 100k miles
-Reliable
-Preference for automatic and larger motor
-Street parkable so 180" in length or less is desirable
-Needs at least a back seat, back doors would be ideal

I also can't deal with cars that have horrible body control. The older Wranglers and Panther frame cars are totally out of the picture. Older SUVs might too. Too much swaying or floaty suspension will cause me to barf even if I'm driving.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote:
Tarspin wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:36 am :dat:
That's true you'll probably get msrp for it
Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

Detroit wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:37 am
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:33 am

It would be hard to not get upset by this, IMO. It's some serious :bs: Just shit people, man.
:word:
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

Tarspin wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:42 am
Johnny_P wrote:
That's true you'll probably get msrp for it
Probably not. The car might get a ding on the carfax.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:38 am Beater recommendations?
-Under $10k
-Under 100k miles
-Reliable

I also can't deal with cars that have horrible body control. The older Wranglers and Panther frame cars are totally out of the picture. Older SUVs might too. Too much swaying or floaty suspension will cause me to barf even if I'm driving.
Pontiac Vibe.
ChrisoftheNorth

Or a Buick Verano with the 2.0T. I'm not kidding.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:45 am
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:38 am Beater recommendations?
-Under $10k
-Under 100k miles
-Reliable

Pontiac Vibe.
Gag

Maybe an xterra
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:50 am
Detroit wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:45 am
Pontiac Vibe.
Gag

Maybe an xterra
If you can find a decent one for cheap. Good luck.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Gberg2119 wrote:
Tarspin wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:42 am That's true you'll probably get msrp for it
Probably not. The car might get a ding on the carfax.
That's true too, it might be worth trying to buff it out right before the :plac:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote:Beater recommendations?
-Under $10k
-Under 100k miles
-Reliable

Previous gen IS350, go highway driven higher mileage to get the price down.