Car Talk 2: Un-American Motor Company.

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

fledonfoot wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:57 pm
Apex wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:47 pm

:notbad: You have a nice setup on your GTI, I'd look into a DSG one if I trade the pumpkin.

I like the styling on the Renegade, but I've never driven one.
I kindof regret not getting a DSG GTI, but I'm retarded in that if a :manuel: is available, I must drive it.

Wifey wanted another Mini but I'm struggling to justify $34k for an S or $30 for a justacooper with a few options to get something bike friendly. Also, now that Princeton Mini closed, she refuses to give Mount Laurel the service business thanks to the complete lack of help they gave us last year. They're a quarter mile away from her work. There's a few niggling issues I want to have resolved, but ultimately the lease is up in 6 months and it's not worth it.

I just need to get her out of the Mini because of the bad juju from the accident. We should have never fixed it. It gives her anxiety. She hates it most days.

The only real downside to the Renegade is that it's slow. 0-60 in 10 seconds slow. Otherwise in Trailhawk trim I'll be a good all weather car for her, I can do some fun light off roading in it around here, and it's a good bike car. It's also quirky and has character, and the wife likes quirk.
Renegades look cool but they're pretty damn slow. I think SixSpeeder's woman has one of these in Trailcawk trim. They like it and have taken it off roading with good success. Honestly if you're considering a Renegade I'd give a Crosstrek a look. They come in fun colors, are reliable, and aren't FCA, and are just as quick/slow as the Trailcawk Renegayde. Plus they just got updated, and while I don't hate my interior I hear the new ones are quieter and have an even nicer interior than my car.

Minis are... they're damn expensive is what they are. $27,500 was the best I got on a bare bones Cooper S with HID and sport package, which is a ton of money when a GTI will outperform it for less. If you like it then go for it doe. I like the 4 door models and I'd just go automatic on that to be honest. I think the auto pairs well with the car.

DSG vs manual, eh. When I got my GTI I was manual die hard. Then I drove some DSG loaner TDI sportwagens and, well, I didn't like the low speed action but it was great once you were moving. I think they revised it for the MK7 so it's even smoother. I'd have a hard time passing the DSG up at this point but I get the attachment to MT. It makes every drive more fun and involved. But there are many days that I think even my STI would be better with a fast shifting DSG that doesn't lose boost between shifts. If I ever decided to :troywax: on an M2 or something I would probably get DSG.

Porsche is a different story that's MT or don't, IMO.
Last edited by Johnny_P on Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:38 am
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:02 am Street where I parked got egged. I saw about 12 cars with egg on them and numerous houses with egg goo. My car got bombed. I got the majority of it off but looking for some recommendations here....

Should I take it to get detailed ASAP like today or tomorrow? Do I need to use something other than quick detailer to get it off?

I thought egging was a suburb only thing :sad: In the city it's usually slashed tires or knocked off side mirrors which doesn't happen in my hood.
You just want to get the shit off ASAP by any method. Quick detailer should be sufficient...or a quarter wash.
I have no idea how long it was on there. It was parked since Friday.

Seemed to come off halfway decent, but there's still a residue so I need to do something about it. Got the vast majority of it off doe, and didn't notice any paint damage.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

[user not found] wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:51 am V60 Polestar is giving me plac thoughts.

I can't and won't do it BUT it makes me think things.

SS hasn't been driven in two weeks which is part of what makes me want to plac.
Drive SS moar? :iono:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:51 am V60 Polestar is giving me plac thoughts.

Why doe? It's expensive af, depreciates way harder than your Malibu, and isn't nearly as good dynamically or as special to drive. I bet your Malibu even rides better.
They do look cool. I love the design of this wagon.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:56 am

I'd put an exhaust on it to make it more of an event to drive. Should reinvigorate the desire to drive it.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:58 am
Detroit wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:56 am
I'd put an exhaust on it to make it more of an event to drive. Should reinvigorate the desire to drive it.
It has NPP (the adjustable exhaust) which in bro mode is quite :lolol:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:41 am

You just want to get the shit off ASAP by any method. Quick detailer should be sufficient...or a quarter wash.

Seemed to come off halfway decent, but there's still a residue so I need to do something about it. Got the vast majority of it off doe, and didn't notice any paint damage.
Are you sure the "residue" isn't etched paint?
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:00 am

It's a bit sticky so yeah. Paint itself felt smooth.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

I mean, if you're going to :plac: :plac: the CRV. It does need an alternator, right? :hue:
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:14 am
Apex wrote:
I mean, if you're going to :plac: :plac: the CRV. It does need an alternator, right? :hue:
I can't afford both the SS and a Polestar though I'd love to.
:sad:

Would be an epic stable doe.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:00 am

So just double checked, most of the car's surface is fine, the egg came off without major issue. The roof where the biggest egg chunk and shell pieces were, has a few pin point size holes in the paint. God dammit. I fucking hate people.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:12 am
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:02 am Street where I parked got egged. I saw about 12 cars with egg on them and numerous houses with egg goo. My car got bombed. I got the majority of it off but looking for some recommendations here....

Should I take it to get detailed ASAP like today or tomorrow? Do I need to use something other than quick detailer to get it off?

I thought egging was a suburb only thing :sad: In the city it's usually slashed tires or knocked off side mirrors which doesn't happen in my hood.
Get it off ASAP but it’s quite likely that the paint is fucked due to the impact of the eggshell.

Take photos before and after and get it to a detail shop and if need be, file an insurance claim.
I took photos of my car and multiple other cars/homes/etc on the street.
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:25 am
Apex wrote:
:sad:

Would be an epic stable doe.
It would be about perfect.

Wanna send the kiddo to college :doe:
:word:
Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

Dis :dat:
Very sorry to hear that Johnny. I dont miss that petty crap so prevalent on forums about vandalism. Happens anywhere but rare here. I hope those people are all fighting virulent diarrhea today and worse. Id laugh my ass off. Fk shite people like those who did this.....
Johnny_P

edit: see next pics
Last edited by Johnny_P on Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

[user not found] wrote:V60 Polestar is giving me plac thoughts.

I've had this feel
Johnny_P

Yay

So closer inspection reveals she’s fucked.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Johnny_P wrote:

Why doe? It's expensive af, depreciates way harder than your Malibu, and isn't nearly as good dynamically or as special to drive. I bet your Malibu even rides better.
They do look cool. I love the design of this wagon.
:dat:

Looks cool but other than that it's a downgrade from the Malipoo in every way.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Johnny_P wrote:Image

Yay

Man. I'm sorry. That's just the shittiest. :sad:
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:57 am Image

Yay

:rage:

That's so shitty. I hate people and the cities they live in.
ChrisoftheNorth

Tarspin wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:55 am
[user not found] wrote:V60 Polestar is giving me plac thoughts.

I've had this feel
The key is to have a DD/bad weather vehicle you don't hate. Then it's not so much a desire to :plac: but looking forward to driving the other car again. I miss driving my :poorvette: but that just makes me more excited for April when I can bring the bish out again. In the interim, I just hoon the Hoontruck and enjoy it quite a bit.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:05 am
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:57 am Image

Yay

:rage:

That's so shitty. I hate people and the cities they live in.
This is the first time I've ever heard of egging in the city. Most people are too poor for that here and instead just bat mirrors off cars or slash tires. Which doesn't happen in my hood because of the strong police presence and precinct a block away. Honestly heard more of egging when I was in high school in the burbs :sad:
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:02 amFuck, Johnny.
I still don't really know what to do. I guess call insurance and see what they say? I should probably wash it just to get the bs off but maybe a full detail isn't a good idea if they're going to be respraying the roof anyway?
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:10 am
I still don't really know what to do. I guess call insurance and see what they say? I should probably wash it just to get the bs off but maybe a full detail isn't a good idea if they're going to be respraying the roof anyway?
File a police report and call the insurance company. Get the car to a good body shop.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:10 am
I'd try to clean it up the best I could, and maybe do some basic DIY detailing to see how screwed it really is. Then decide the best course of action.