OT 11: Troyway to Heaven

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:21 pm The truth is I don't buy bottles of wine, I buy $19 3L boxes.
Finally. The truth.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Desertbreh wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:22 pm
troyguitar wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:21 pm The truth is I don't buy bottles of wine, I buy $19 3L boxes.
Finally. The truth.
:dat:

Except I think the wine tastes good. To get to whiskey that I like costs at least 3x as much (i.e. $15+ per 750 mL)... which was why I was confused at :[user not found]: saying that you need to spend an equal amount on each to get to the same level of "quality" - whatever that means. It's not just me, either, anyone I've ever seen drink spends more per bottle on liquor than wine on average - a LOT more.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

troyguitar wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:25 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:22 pm

Finally. The truth.

Except I think the wine tastes good. To get to whiskey that I like costs at least 3x as much (i.e. $15+ per 750 mL)... which was why I was confused at :[user not found]: saying that you need to spend an equal amount on each to get to the same level of "quality" - whatever that means. It's not just me, either, anyone I've ever seen drink spends more per bottle on liquor than wine on average - a LOT more.
Stop hanging out with Winos.

:zing:
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Family gone - sipping (pounding)some Makers Cask Strength.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:08 pm
4zilch wrote:Also kids have slimed everything :disgust:
Oh yeah you gotta clean them good, constantly.
Disenfected remote controls that kid was eating. Had to break out the nitrile gloves :gag:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Sno
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Fiiiiiiiiiiiiat

[user not found] wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:45 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote:
in4 toy reactions....from kidz and bro-in-law
:dat: :fuckyeah:
What Zilch mostly said. Brother and sister in law walked in and said “what...is that?...”

“Your new living room accessory.”

Brother essentially made SIL deal with it. Sat on his ass and let his children destroy our house. At one point, a lantern with a lit candle in it went flying from the one year old. They have an hour ride home to talk about what shit holes we are. :aintcare:

I spent the entire evening begging for it to be over and Zilch reminded me why I married him by consistently handing me alcohol.

Toy was cute, doe.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:58 pm At the risk of being sucked into your wedding planner decorative vortex, that is kind of cute.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:47 pm
troyguitar wrote:

Again it comes down to taste right? For me they are about even at the same price point. Frankly while I think that whiskey might climb a bit higher, quicker (MAYBE) it also levels out way way faster.
I was speaking to the general case, not just my own tastes. You are the only person I have ever heard claim that Barefoot is the same quality as bottom shelf no-name liquor. Where does that leave the Bota Box which is even cheaper, you'd rather drink your dog's piss? Is Chuck Shaw worse than being waterboarded?
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:56 pm
troyguitar wrote:
I was speaking to the general case, not just my own tastes. You are the only person I have ever heard claim that Barefoot is the same quality as bottom shelf no-name liquor. Where does that leave the Bota Box which is even cheaper, you'd rather drink your dog's piss? Is Chuck Shaw worse than being waterboarded?
To me that $5 to $10 price point on wine is all about the same.
The same as what, though? Which whiskey is at that tier?

That's what I'm getting at - your scale for whiskey starts at the bottom but your scale for wine starts at the middle.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Oh boy...ImageImageImage

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:57 pm
[user not found] wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:56 pm To me that $5 to $10 price point on wine is all about the same.

That's what I'm getting at - your scale for whiskey starts at the bottom but your scale for wine starts at the middle.
Fact. Cheap whiskey can be ok. See "Rebel Yell" at Trader Joe's. Cheap wine sucks balls, but there can be exceptions, most of them magically delivered from France via Costco.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
troyguitar

Desertbreh wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:59 pm

Fact. Cheap whiskey can be ok. See "Rebel Yell" at Trader Joe's. Cheap wine sucks balls, but there can be exceptions, most of them magically delivered from France via Costco.
That's $15, 2-5x as much as their cheap wines... which was my point in the first place. In the portion of the spectrum where most people shop, wine is cheaper than whiskey. Only in :[user not found]: world are bottles the same price for either one.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

From our perspective. Most of the wine we drink is in the 10-20 per bottle range. Some of those range from bad, to drinkable to :mindblown: Though the :mindblown: stuff is usually from a curated selection from a high end cheese/charcuterie/butcher shop. In other words, it’ll be expensive as soon as people learn about it.

For bourbon / whiskey - anywhere between $15 and $100/bottle. $15 bottles (and under) are often better suited for cocktails while those bottles $25 and up for sipping. IMO there’s not much difference between a ~$30 and ~$60 bottle in terms of quality. Get north of $75 and things start getting pretty special :doe:
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:59 pm

Rebel Yell is :notbad: especially in cocktails. Going out on a limb to say that Heaven Hill on the bottom shelf is a great buy.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Have you checked our shitters honey?
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

troyguitar wrote:
Desertbreh wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:59 pm Fact. Cheap whiskey can be ok. See "Rebel Yell" at Trader Joe's. Cheap wine sucks balls, but there can be exceptions, most of them magically delivered from France via Costco.
That's $15, 2-5x as much as their cheap wines... which was my point in the first place. In the portion of the spectrum where most people shop, wine is cheaper than whiskey. Only in :[user not found]: world are bottles the same price for either one.
Remember though, he also says a bottle of wine lasts a night and a bottle of whiskey lasts months.

Sent from the Beer Depository
:therapist:
troyguitar

Calvinball wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:48 pm
troyguitar wrote:
Remember though, he also says a bottle of wine lasts a night and a bottle of whiskey lasts months.

All the more reason to spend less on the wine? :iono:

I buy the boxes in part because they last longer. Dat vacuum. 3L box lasts a week or two generally and is still good at the end. Not that I know what "good" means...
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

troyguitar wrote:
Calvinball wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:48 pm Remember though, he also says a bottle of wine lasts a night and a bottle of whiskey lasts months.

All the more reason to spend less on the wine? :iono:

I buy the boxes in part because they last longer. Dat vacuum. 3L box lasts a week or two generally and is still good at the end. Not that I know what "good" means...
Perspective. It is everything.

:therapist:
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:56 pm
Calvinball wrote:
Perspective. It is everything.

If you're goal is just to get drunk, the Popov is the answer.
Sounds like your already they're! :drunk:
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Watching Ms. Congeniality with gf and mom
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

[user not found] wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:35 pm
wap wrote:
Yes.
Done!
:fuckyeah:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:43 pm
4zilch wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:37 pm Hosting Sno’s family for Christmas. 3 beers in :drunk:
:popcorn:
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Bunch of drunks in here
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
wap

troyguitar wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:33 pm
[user not found] wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:31 pm But that $8 handle of Popov can get 5 people HAMMERED? It would take 7 bottle of $2 wine to get there.
What does that have to do with anything?

The point was that an average "OK" wine is $10 and booze is $20-30, so a $40 wine is going ALL OUT for an average person while $40 booze is just a little nicer than usual.
:word:
This is roughly what I see in the liquor stores and local wine shop that I go to. Decent wines, not the snooty :waxer: stuff that I'd never buy with my own money (but gladly drink when being taken out to dinner by a vender :triggered: ) can be had between $9 and $17 or so and a bottle of regular Makers is in the low $20's all day long around here. The better boozes start in the upper $20's and go up to the $60's +
wap

4zilch wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:06 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:43 pm

Sno can probably articulate it better, but at a high level, I’d call it false enthusiasm with a concern over transporting it home.

Kids loved it though.
:hue:
wap

[user not found] wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:19 pm
Desertbreh wrote:
Yeah wow. Not around here.
I probably average about ten
:wtf:
"Honey, I feel like a nice, tall glass of whiskey!"
:notsure: