OT 11: Troyway to Heaven

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

[user not found] wrote:
Calvinball wrote: Sipping on some bourbon.

Sent from the Beer Depository
What ya drinking?
Finished a bottle of Old Forester.

:therapist:
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

[user not found] wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:45 pm This wine is really good.

I'm glad I'm a whiskey guy though. $40 bottle of wine, one night. $40 bottle of whiskey, a month if you drink nothing else, a year if you do what I do.
:notsure:

You apparently drink a lot more wine at a time? I get 3-4 glasses from a bottle of wine and maybe 8-10 from the same size bottle of liquor. :drunk:

$40 is way out of my league for either one :doe: - more like a $5 and $25. I can't even imagine buying wine that expensive.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:54 pm
troyguitar wrote:

You apparently drink a lot more wine at a time? I get 3-4 glasses from a bottle of wine and maybe 8-10 from the same size bottle of liquor. :drunk:

$40 is way out of my league for either one :doe: - more like a $5 and $25. I can't even imagine buying wine that expensive.
There are 12 pours in a bottle of whiskey and 4 in a bottle of wine.
You measure it out? I just eyeball it based on desired level of :drunk:

Either way, a $40 bottle of wine is a lot higher end than $40 liquor IMO. The same tier of wine is more like $10.
troyguitar

$10 is upper half for wine, bottom shelf starts at $2.xx a bottle and you can buy halfway decent stuff for $5-10 if you're not a corksniffer. Bottom shelf whiskey is $15 and half decent stuff is $25+
troyguitar

Maybe PA is different, I don't really remember and have never shopped stuff that ridiculously expensive... Around here I don't even remember seeing a bottle of wine over $20 or a bottle of Bourbon/Scotch UNDER $20. Average price for whiskey is at least double that of wine. If anyone has $40 wine laying around here, it'll be gathering dust on a shelf never to be bought until closeout sales.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

[user not found] wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:12 pm
troyguitar wrote:$10 is upper half for wine, bottom shelf starts at $2.xx a bottle and you can buy halfway decent stuff for $5-10 if you're not a corksniffer. Bottom shelf whiskey is $15 and half decent stuff is $25+
Whoa helllll no. $10 is still a cheap bottle of wine in the wine market, not the Troy Defined Wine Market.

'good' wine easily gets into the $60s before you get into :waxer: level stuff.

Bottom shelf whiskey starts sub $10. Usually around $8. :waxer: stuff starts at $90+
The "average" price for a red that is "fair/okay" is $14 retail if you believe Mr. Wonderful on Shark Tank. :hue:

$30-40 Cab to me is okay, but not good. I'm too used to drinking the stuff in the $150-250 per bottle range.

Sometimes I wish I never moved on from drinking Lucky Lager, Mickey's or even Budweiser. That old saying really does ring true... Ignorance is bliss.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Speaking of booze...

Tomorrow I am going to rack my two melomels for the last time before bottling next month.

One is a strawberry and the other is peach. I brewed them in February 2002. yes, 2002.
troyguitar

Obviously wine scales up as high as you want and probably faster than liquor, but the base for "not shit" or "what most people drink after getting out of college" is way cheaper for wine.

Yellowtail/Barefoot type stuff at <$10 vs Smirnoff/Crown/Jose/whatever at about double that... Not that anyone else on DFD would be caught dead drinking any of those things.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:18 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote:
The "average" price for a red that is "fair/okay" is $14 retail if you believe Mr. Wonderful on Shark Tank. :hue:

$30-40 Cab to me is okay, but not good. I'm too used to drinking the stuff in the $150-250 per bottle range.

Sometimes I wish I never moved on from drinking Lucky Lager, Mickey's or even Budweiser. That old saying really does ring true... Ignorance is bliss.
:dat: :dat: :dat:

My bottle for tonight is attached, I am guessing you say it's 'fine.'

I've actually had this one and I like it.

They are close by me and are a couple miles away from my favorite in the area, Grgich Hills in Rutherford.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:21 pm Obviously wine scales up as high as you want and probably faster than liquor, but the base for "not shit" or "what most people drink after getting out of college" is way cheaper for wine.

Yellowtail/Barefoot type stuff at <$10 vs Smirnoff/Crown/Jose/whatever at about double that... Not that anyone else on DFD would be caught dead drinking any of those things.
Why not.... ?

You should also consider the alcohol content into your calculations. Wine is usually 14-20% or 28 - 40 proof where most whiskey is 80 proof +. So, you need more wine to do the same job of blood alcohol level.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:26 pm
troyguitar wrote:Obviously wine scales up as high as you want and probably faster than liquor, but the base for "not shit" or "what most people drink after getting out of college" is way cheaper for wine.

I'm only talking whiskey. papov(?) Was like $8 for a handle in college if I recall?
...and the cheapest wine is $2.xx, less than half the price of an "equivalent" liquor.

How is $40 wine suddenly the same as $40 liquor when it starts out less than half the price? Do most people just drink WAY better liquor than they do wine?

Go somewhere with wine that isn't full of rich people, they'll have stuff that's <$10 a bottle. The booze will be $15-30 a bottle at the same kind of place.
troyguitar

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:28 pm
troyguitar wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:21 pm Obviously wine scales up as high as you want and probably faster than liquor, but the base for "not shit" or "what most people drink after getting out of college" is way cheaper for wine.

Why not.... ?

You should also consider the alcohol content into your calculations. Wine is usually 14-20% or 28 - 40 proof where most whiskey is 80 proof +. So, you need more wine to do the same job of blood alcohol level.
What calculation? I was reacting with a :notsure: to the idea that a $40 bottle of wine is on the same level as $40 booze, the cheapest way to get :drunk: is bottom shelf liquor in the biggest bottle you can buy - assuming you can keep it down long enough to get :drunk:

Apparently my taste buds are broken :doe:
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:31 pm
troyguitar wrote:
...and the cheapest wine is $2.xx, less than half the price of an "equivalent" liquor.

How is $40 wine suddenly the same as $40 liquor when it starts out less than half the price? Do most people just drink WAY better liquor than they do wine?

Go somewhere with wine that isn't full of rich people, they'll have stuff that's <$10 a bottle. The booze will be $15-30 a bottle at the same kind of place.
But that $8 handle of Popov can get 5 people HAMMERED? It would take 7 bottle of $2 wine to get there.
What does that have to do with anything?

The point was that an average "OK" wine is $10 and booze is $20-30, so a $40 wine is going ALL OUT for an average person while $40 booze is just a little nicer than usual.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:35 pm
troyguitar wrote:

The point was that an average "OK" wine is $10 and booze is $20-30, so a $40 wine is going ALL OUT for an average person while $40 booze is just a little nicer than usual.
Personal preference. Wine v whiskey, both are Ok around $20 except for outliers.
Sounds like you're the one in the minority here with extremely high wine standards...

Nobody serves $20 wine to guests unless they're rich. $20 liquor? That's everywhere.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:32 pm
Apparently my taste buds are broken :doe:
Some would say that you haven't broken them yet.
troyguitar

Is this another case of living in a strange bubble? Anywhere I've been with other people buying the alcohol, the standard wine is Barefoot/Yellowtail at <$10 and the standard liquors are all more like $20.

I've never heard of anyone sharing a bottle of wine more expensive than that on anything but a fancy date - other than on DFD. $40 wine is 20th Anniversary type stuff, $40 liquor is a couple times a year.
Calvinball

troyguitar wrote:
[user not found] wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:26 pm I'm only talking whiskey. papov(?) Was like $8 for a handle in college if I recall?

The cheapest stuff matches that range for booze around me. I have never seen a $3 bottle of wine in a PA or NJ liquor store that I can recall.

troyguitar

Calvinball wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:43 pm
troyguitar wrote:

The cheapest stuff matches that range for booze around me. I have never seen a $3 bottle of wine in a PA or NJ liquor store that I can recall.

Calvinball

troyguitar wrote:
[user not found] wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:31 pm But that $8 handle of Popov can get 5 people HAMMERED? It would take 7 bottle of $2 wine to get there.

I agree with this.

But to [user not found]’s original point. That $40 bottle of booze is gonna last a helluva longer time than that $40 bottle of wine.

Calvinball

troyguitar wrote:
Calvinball wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:43 pm The cheapest stuff matches that range for booze around me. I have never seen a $3 bottle of wine in a PA or NJ liquor store that I can recall.

I know it exists, just not near me.

4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:43 pm
4zilch wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:37 pm Hosting Sno’s family for Christmas. 3 beers in :drunk:
in4 toy reactions....from kidz and bro-in-law
Sno can probably articulate it better, but at a high level, I’d call it false enthusiasm with a concern over transporting it home.

Kids loved it though.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Also kids have slimed everything :disgust:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Calvinball

4zilch wrote:Also kids have slimed everything :disgust:
Ectoplasm.

I love that my phone didn’t try to autocorrect that.

Desertbreh

[user not found] wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:54 pm
troyguitar wrote:

There are 12 pours in a bottle of whiskey and 4 in a bottle of wine.

(That's by 'serving size' and technically it's 12 and 3/4 in a bottle of whiskey)
Yeah wow. Not around here.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
troyguitar

The truth is I don't buy bottles of wine, I buy $19 3L boxes.