Jeeponomics 101: Eternal tirekicking for the gutless Jeep

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:58 pm
Davestr wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:54 pm https://jalopnik.com/the-2018-jeep-wran ... 1821160227

The 2018 Jeep Wrangler Didn't Get Soft, It Got Much Better
Fuel to the fire

:troywax: :troywax: :troywax:
:troywax: :scrooge: :troywax:

:troywax: :rage: :troywax:
:wasteful:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

$1000 a month for year 1 :troywax:
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:02 pm $1000 a month for year 1 :troywax:
The longer you keep it, the more the monthly payment goes down. You can't afford not to buy one.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Detroit wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:03 pm
The longer you keep it, the more the monthly payment goes down. You can't afford not to buy one.
$520 a month if I keep it for 5 years... and 5 years is a long ass commitment.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

:whocares: go buy yourself a blue peen extender mall crawl edition Heep and enjoy the :wasteful: life for once. You have the :troywax: for it amirite? What good is it collecting that if you don't use it every once in a while?
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:06 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:03 pm
Plan on 3, sell it private party for what you paid for it initially, you're only out tax and tags. Jeep will keep increasing the price on these every year, that's how the JK's price has stayed propped up for so long. Detroit didn't lose much of anything on his other than tax and his didn't even come with real doors. Just some scaffolding and a tent.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:08 pm

Plan on 3, sell it private party for what you paid for it initially, you're only out tax and tags. Jeep will keep increasing the price on these every year, that's how the JK's price has stayed propped up for so long. Detroit didn't lose much of anything on his other than tax and his didn't even come with real doors. Just some scaffolding and a tent.
:dat:

The residual was :mindblown:
ChrisoftheNorth

And I had mine for 2 years and 12k miles.
max225

So... if I assume I am out tax+depreciation of only 3k a year... I.E the JLU will still be worth 36k after 3 years... which seems like a LOT.... that's a far more reasonable $375 a month... hmm but do we really think that?
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:12 pm

So... if I assume I am out tax+depreciation of only 3k a year... I.E the JLU will still be worth 36k after 3 years... which seems like a LOT.... that's a far more reasonable $375 a month... hmm but do we really think that?
Based off historical data, that does not seem unreasonable at all.
max225

Detroit wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:10 pm And I had mine for 2 years and 12k miles.
Hmm i'd be driving double... but still... hmm... You only paid like what... 32k for yours? current Rubicunt is 43k to start with a tent.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:15 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:10 pm And I had mine for 2 years and 12k miles.
Hmm i'd be driving double... but still... hmm... You only paid like what... 32k for yours? current Rubicunt is 43k to start with a tent.
Well, that's the crazy thing. I paid $32k OTD for my 4-door Rubicon with tent doors and ZERO options. When I traded it in, I bet the same Jeep was $34k. I got $30k ON TRADE still :mindblown: by that.

Jeep slowly raises the MSRP each year while slotting in special editions to hit different price points below and above. That's why the residuals remain so strong.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:06 pm
:whocares: go buy yourself a blue peen extender mall crawl edition Heep and enjoy the :wasteful: life for once. You have the :troywax: for it amirite? What good is it collecting that if you don't use it every once in a while?
Because 40 days after he buys it he'll want a performance car. Also this is money he could be hoarding to launch a startup and be somebody in the Pay Area, maybe even get himself a white girl that wasn't born in Vladivostok.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Detroit wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:14 pm

Based off historical data, that does not seem unreasonable at all.
:word: then it will be time to see... once pricing is final. I have honestly been waiting for this jeep for 9 months already. I am getting a bit tired.
Johnny_P

History says yes. If you're an early adopter the production numbers will be low and demand high and values will reflect that, especially if you get a Rubicon model which will be super desirable as the mega peen extender. 2019 model will probably add orange stitching to the Rubicon, black painted :rams: and will add $300 to the sticker. And it'll keep creeping up like that while FCA releases their all new 108 month loan program to keep payments similar.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:17 pm

Because 40 days after he buys it he'll want a performance car. Also this is money he could be hoarding to launch a startup and be somebody in the Pay Area, maybe even get himself a white girl that wasn't born in Vladivostok.
Barnaul, bro. :gaydance: Vladivostok is as far from her as new york from sf.
ChrisoftheNorth

:amazing:
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:17 pm

Well, that's the crazy thing. I paid $32k OTD for my 4-door Rubicon with tent doors and ZERO options. When I traded it in, I bet the same Jeep was $34k. I got $30k ON TRADE still :mindblown: by that.

Jeep slowly raises the MSRP each year while slotting in special editions to hit different price points below and above. That's why the residuals remain so strong.
Yep. Splurge on the top dog model and you'll stay at the top of the pack. It's backwards of every other vehicle on the planet in that regard. The Rubicon is the real Jeep. It'll stay the top of the heap. Have that RUBICON sticker on the hood and people know you aren't posing.
max225

Why the fuck do I remember that. :disgust:

32k for a rubi is nuts, you likely had the lowest priced rubi in the country... Right now the price of entry is well over 40k... likely 45k for one equipped as yours... Arguably more equipment doe...
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:19 pm

Yep. Splurge on the top dog model and you'll stay at the top of the pack. It's backwards of every other vehicle on the planet in that regard. The Rubicon is the real Jeep. It'll stay the top of the heap. Have that RUBICON sticker on the hood and people know you aren't posing.
For best residual, top model ZERO options.
Johnny_P

You mean upgrade from South Korean to Japanese.
max225

Been debating the Sahara vs Rubicunt as well... I don't think i'll sahara... but rubicunt is already another 5k on top of 42-45k msrp for the sahara i'm eying
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:21 pm

For best residual, top model ZERO options.
You don't really need any on the Rubi. Comes well equipped out of the box. Just pick the top and color and go.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:20 pm

Why the fuck do I remember that. :disgust:

32k for a rubi is nuts, you likely had the lowest priced rubi in the country... Right now the price of entry is well over 40k... likely 45k for one equipped as yours... Arguably more equipment doe...
Well, to be fair...I had a supplier pricing code from a friend and the dealer wanted to deal because the Jeep had been sitting for a while. IIRC, the MSRP was in the $35k range? I had to drive out to Vegas to get it.

:dillerman: claimed it was the cheapest Rubicon he had ever sold.

But :dill: s like that are out there.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:21 pm

Been debating the Sahara vs Rubicunt as well... I don't think i'll sahara... but rubicunt is already another 5k on top of 42-45k msrp for the sahara i'm eying
JL's will be a bit rare for the first year. Rubicons will be the most rare. The rarepupper status will artifically prop resale values. I think.