Car Talk 2: Un-American Motor Company.

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Davestr wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:26 pm Golf-R max'd out tuneage............. https://jalopnik.com/i-drove-a-470-hp-v ... 1820968655
So that's around $55k all in? :waxer: Golf. I dunno I'd rather just buy an M2 than light a pile of cash on fire with tuner mods that have zero resale value.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:06 pm
Davestr wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:26 pm Golf-R max'd out tuneage............. https://jalopnik.com/i-drove-a-470-hp-v ... 1820968655
So that's around $55k all in? :waxer: Golf. I dunno I'd rather just buy an M2 than light a pile of cash on fire with tuner mods that have zero resale value.
APR Golf R Stage 3+ Specs:

Stage 3+ ECU upgrade
DSG Software Upgrade
Crate engine
Oil catch can
Catback exhaust (Not officially released yet)
Carbon fiber intake
Intercooler
Stage 3+ turbocharger System
Brembo brakes
APR Flow-Formed 19 x 8.5” wheels (not officially released yet)
Lowering springs
Rear roll-control stabilizer bar
"crate engine" no big deal... :wtf:
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:16 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:06 pm

APR Golf R Stage 3+ Specs:

Stage 3+ ECU upgrade
DSG Software Upgrade
Crate engine
Oil catch can
Catback exhaust (Not officially released yet)
Carbon fiber intake
Intercooler
Stage 3+ turbocharger System
Brembo brakes
APR Flow-Formed 19 x 8.5” wheels (not officially released yet)
Lowering springs
Rear roll-control stabilizer bar
"crate engine" no big deal... :wtf:
Yeah. :fullretard: modding. Literally lighting a pile of dead presidents on fire.
max225

Or you could just buy a TTRS and have the same performance for the same price+ warranty+ better VADGE
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

max225 wrote:Or you could just buy a TTRS and have the same performance for the same price+ warranty+ better VADGE
TTS + MODZZZ would be the way to go unless you're only drag racing. That boat anchor 5 cylinder up front is hell for making the RS turn.

... Or just buy a turbro cayman and tune that.
max225

troyguitar wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:35 pm
max225 wrote:Or you could just buy a TTRS and have the same performance for the same price+ warranty+ better VADGE
TTS + MODZZZ would be the way to go unless you're only drag racing. That boat anchor 5 cylinder up front is hell for making the RS turn.

Nah I'd rather spend 18k at APR since they are obviously unlocking the obvious shit that the retard engineers missed.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:04 pm
troyguitar wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:35 pm TTS + MODZZZ would be the way to go unless you're only drag racing. That boat anchor 5 cylinder up front is hell for making the RS turn.

Nah I'd rather spend 18k at APR since they are obviously unlocking the obvious shit that the retard engineers missed.
Isn't a TTS just a GoRf anyway?

And yeah those OE engineers are morans.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:29 pm Or you could just buy a TTRS and have the same performance for the same price+ warranty+ better VADGE
+ half a lambo noises :jimp:
Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

Johnny_P

Reading up on the head gasket failures on the FoRS. God damn am I glad I didn't even entertain that vehicle. The head is apparently warping slightly. Fix right now is new head gasket. If it's bad enough you get a new engine. WTF. Imagine having a Ford wrench monkey try to shoehorn a new high power turbo racecar engine into your Focus when all they're used to doing is changing truck leaf springs and oil changes. :doomed: :doomed: :doomed:

Between that and the overheating rear diff.... sounds like not much real world testing happened. Everyone is a beta tester. Yay. Now they're taking what they've learned about this hi-po version of the 2.3T and incorporating changes into the new version of the Ecoboom Mustang 2.3T. Piss off the very tiny sport compact enthusiast community by using them as testers so you have fewer warranty claims when you make the motor mainstream for the hairdressers and sorority girls.
max225

Davestr wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:07 pm Yo Max - http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/showth ... ?t=1447395

M3 lease assume
I already trolled the F80 forum for that... saw it... He is asking for $6k up front... He wants $1800 to subsidize his initial down. Which I'd like to negotiate down quite a bit. Once I get closer to my turn in date I will be shooting offers out. However, I am not sure what would happen due to the whole across states issue. Maybe that would make lease assumptions more complicated.

I am still shocked to see how many :fullretard: 's are modding M3s, lowering them, fugly wheels, wraps etc. And then unloading the lease... like :wtf:
Davestr

max225 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:12 pm
Davestr wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:07 pm Yo Max - http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/showth ... ?t=1447395

M3 lease assume
I already trolled the F80 forum for that... saw it... He is asking for $6k up front... He wants $1800 to subsidize his initial down. Which I'd like to negotiate down quite a bit. Once I get closer to my turn in date I will be shooting offers out. However, I am not sure what would happen due to the whole across states issue. Maybe that would make lease assumptions more complicated.

I am still shocked to see how many :fullretard: 's are modding M3s, lowering them, fugly wheels, wraps etc. And then unloading the lease... like :wtf:
+1 on the amazeballs of these owners modding the funk out of a rental M3 and then deciding to unload it......I have a suspicion they will owe BMW if they dont. Mods are useless. Never again will I mod. They do not make the car better overall. You will not stop the depreciation and in fact might make it sale or turn-in proof if you do. Laughable. But all the cool kids is doing it, so YO what up.
max225

Davestr wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:46 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:12 pm

+1 on the amazeballs of these owners modding the funk out of a rental M3 and then deciding to unload it......I have a suspicion they will owe BMW if they dont. Mods are useless. Never again will I mod. They do not make the car better overall. You will not stop the depreciation and in fact might make it sale or turn-in proof if you do. Laughable. But all the cool kids is doing it, so YO what up.
I learned the hard way myself which is why I just want to upspend on the front end. Modz end up exceeding the value of the delta between the car you wanted to begin with. :fullretard: approach.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/showth ... ?t=1447135
I seriously DO NOT UNDERSTAND why anyone would mod the suspension on an M3? Like BMW DID IT FOR YOU? YOU PAID EXTRA FOR IT?! What do you think these aftermarket companies will deliver on other than useless stiffness and "stance" let alone those fugly wheels. I don't get it.
troyguitar

Guy who only understands driving in a straight line doesn't understand why anyone would change suspension!

This and other breaking news coming up tonight at 11... :themoreyouknow:
Davestr

max225 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:12 pm
Davestr wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:46 pm

I learned the hard way myself which is why I just want to upspend on the front end. Modz end up exceeding the value of the delta between the car you wanted to begin with. :fullretard: approach.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/showth ... ?t=1447135
I seriously DO NOT UNDERSTAND why anyone would mod the suspension on an M3? Like BMW DID IT FOR YOU? YOU PAID EXTRA FOR IT?! What do you think these aftermarket companies will deliver on other than useless stiffness and "stance" let alone those fugly wheels. I don't get it.
+1 on that! I saw that listing. He will have one hell of a parts bin fire sale LOL. Who the fk wants to manage and move all that shite. OH and his fkn car actually looks like shite. So stance - so not capable... LOL.

Most owners if they could drive it here for a month or so in decent weather and use it as designed they wouldnt think about anything other than rims or brake pads maybe. The folks who do Euro delivery might get it but who knows. You cant actually exercise the car for any length of time except track or face loss of license etc etc. I honestly think modding an M3 is driven by boredom with the lack of use that allows the car to be driven as designed. That and the ever present pressure of youth and the 'cool' factor the aftermarket firms push.

If they simply could take the car out for a decent drive and use the power and braking/handling designed into it, stance, coil over and splitters wouldnt be sold. A clear majority of M-cars I see here are not modded at all. Never seen one at my dealer. I saw one M4 on the bahn this summer as I passed him. Stickers and stance but he was the exception. Does not seem to be as much of a movement in terms of total numbers as what I see on Bimmerpost in the US.
Last edited by Davestr on Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
max225

If you think BMW is full of shit just buy a 320i, then drop in an M3 motor, +mod the shit out of everything else. Start from scratch... Makes more sense than piling an extra 40k above a 320i into an M3 only to bring it back to 320i handling levels... then again... that logic would make sense.
max225

troyguitar wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:17 pm Guy who only understands driving in a straight line doesn't understand why anyone would change suspension!

:aintcare:
You can't troll me breh, you should know this by now.
troyguitar

max225 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:20 pm
troyguitar wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:17 pm Guy who only understands driving in a straight line doesn't understand why anyone would change suspension!

...it's not trolling, it's a fucking fact.

The M3 does not have the best suspension+wheels+tires in the world from the factory. It is in fact possible to improve on them.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

max225 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:19 pm If you think BMW is full of shit just buy a 320i, then drop in an M3 motor, +mod the shit out of everything else. Start from scratch... Makes more sense than piling an extra 40k above a 320i into an M3 only to bring it back to 320i handling levels... then again... that logic would make sense.
dude, the m3 has not been built on the same chassis as a three series for over like 10 years....
brain go brrrrrr
Davestr

max225 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:19 pm If you think BMW is full of shit just buy a 320i, then drop in an M3 motor, +mod the shit out of everything else. Start from scratch... Makes more sense than piling an extra 40k above a 320i into an M3 only to bring it back to 320i handling levels... then again... that logic would make sense.
+1 actually sounds fun as well.
max225

troyguitar wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:26 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:20 pm

...it's not trolling, it's a fucking fact.

The M3 does not have the best suspension+wheels+tires in the world from the factory. It is in fact possible to improve on them.
no one said that. The point being made was about someone modding an M3 to achieve stance while slamming 20" ramz with rubber band tires on it.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:28 pmFrom a geometry/suspension design standpoint, the M3 does differ significantly from the pleb-320i.

Suspension arms, top mounts, etc are all different.
...and even the M3 benefits greatly from more front camber, more front wheel, more front tire.
Davestr

Makes sense here if you are constantly up at the Ring.

Current M cars exceed 99% of all driver's capability. SO yea modding the suspension in reality makes little sense. Makes for great conversation but the basic car probably is not being challenged by the drivers buying them. The article I posted from Road and Track about the freedom of driving here vs the US was written by an Indy Car driver. He had an M3 for 2 weeks and was more than impressed with the roads and importantly the car. It was actually in the element/system it was designed for. He didnt say shite about a capability it lacked but did say it got the job more than done in the mountain passes and the Autobahn. Again the car as designed doesnt need much help. It might for the type of tracking you do and that is understandable. Perhaps make that judgement after driving it.
Last edited by Davestr on Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Yea I am not even one of the guys who is deep into missing but I’ve since wrote it off. Lots of problems for little solutions on day-to-day driving.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Why not just buy a couple of C5s?