Jeeponomics 101: Eternal tirekicking for the gutless Jeep

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

SAWCE wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:52 pm Made the trek up to Big Bear Friday night, and came back down yesterday morning. :jeep: is :notbad: for little road trips like that. Suspension is comfortable enough, although I'm coming from a relatively low :turboyaris: on blown out struts. Headlights were fine on the windy mountain road with no street lights. Michelle even commented on them since I'd been talking to her about the possibility of me upgrading them. "You really think you need more light than this?" And that's coming from someone who cares more about safety than anything else in a vehicle...
Brakes felt fine to me too the few times we came into a blind corner kinda hot to a line of stopped cars just around it.
On board computer said we averaged 19.2MPG for the trip. I should have filled up as soon as we got home so it wouldn't be thrown off by the bit of driving around town I did yesterday and my commute to/from work today. But I'll fill up tonight or tomorrow morning and calculate the real world MPG.
:notbad:

What did you average in the GTI?
How's the road noise ?
I'd expect a 15-16mpg average.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

max225 wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:58 pm
SAWCE wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:52 pm Made the trek up to Big Bear Friday night, and came back down yesterday morning. :jeep: is :notbad: for little road trips like that. Suspension is comfortable enough, although I'm coming from a relatively low :turboyaris: on blown out struts. Headlights were fine on the windy mountain road with no street lights. Michelle even commented on them since I'd been talking to her about the possibility of me upgrading them. "You really think you need more light than this?" And that's coming from someone who cares more about safety than anything else in a vehicle...
Brakes felt fine to me too the few times we came into a blind corner kinda hot to a line of stopped cars just around it.
On board computer said we averaged 19.2MPG for the trip. I should have filled up as soon as we got home so it wouldn't be thrown off by the bit of driving around town I did yesterday and my commute to/from work today. But I'll fill up tonight or tomorrow morning and calculate the real world MPG.
:notbad:

What did you average in the GTI?
How's the road noise ?
I'd expect a 15-16mpg average.
I rarely calculated it out on the GTI, but the on board system there said my "lifetime" average (I think that reset every 10k miles or something) was like 22.1, although I know I did much better than that on long open freeways like this drive was.

Road noise starts off annoying with the mud tars, but once you're up to speed on the freeway you get used to it and tune it out pretty easy. I was having a conversaion with my buddy in the back seat at a normal volume. Never felt like I had to talk louder or ask him to repeat himself..
max225

Pretty neat.
SAWCE

Yeah the trip definitely solidified my happiness with the purchase. Can definitely see myself actually hanging on to this thing for a good 10+ years.
max225

SAWCE wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:09 pm Yeah the trip definitely solidified my happiness with the purchase. Can definitely see myself actually hanging on to this thing for a good 10+ years.
Man that's a long time... I always want something different 6-12 months into ownershit.
SAWCE

max225 wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:11 pm
SAWCE wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:09 pm Yeah the trip definitely solidified my happiness with the purchase. Can definitely see myself actually hanging on to this thing for a good 10+ years.
Man that's a long time... I always want something different 6-12 months into ownershit.
I like hanging on to things for a long time. Hit just over 7 years in the :turboyaris: and fully intended to get another 3+ out of it before all the problems popped up. The :jeep: should easily last that long, and unless I just get tired of driving something that big after 10 or so years, I'll realistically drive it until the wheels fall off.
max225

The jeep is not very big :doe: It is actually kind of small compared to Cross trannys/suvs of today.
SAWCE

max225 wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:20 pm The jeep is not very big :doe: It is actually kind of small compared to Cross trannys/suvs of today.
:word: it just still feels huge compared to the GTI. I'm sure I'll appreciate the size when there are tiny little :sawce: babies being thrown in and out of it.
max225

SAWCE wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:34 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:20 pm The jeep is not very big :doe: It is actually kind of small compared to Cross trannys/suvs of today.
:word: it just still feels huge compared to the GTI. I'm sure I'll appreciate the size when there are tiny little :sawce: babies being thrown in and out of it.
Dat baby talk :disgust:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote:
He did 160k miles in the :turboyaris: , so it's possible.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

SAWCE wrote:
You think your :baby: will be small??

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
SAWCE

D Griff wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:06 pm
SAWCE wrote:

They'll be large.. I was 9lbs 11oz and 21" long. I was a small kid though.
09vdubgti
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: Forester

SAWCE wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:26 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:06 pm

They'll be large.. I was 9lbs 11oz and 21" long. I was a small kid though.
Thats what she said.
09vdubgti
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: Forester

Still looking for a nice Willys. Found one with basically exactly how I specced one out for on the jeep site. However its In a grey color.

Still looks good, but I really want it in Rhino.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

09vdubgti wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:15 am Still looking for a nice Willys. Found one with basically exactly how I specced one out for on the jeep site. However its In a grey color.

Take it from me, the color you want is worth waiting for. :fuckyeah: :jeep:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

D Griff wrote:
09vdubgti wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:15 am Still looking for a nice Willys. Found one with basically exactly how I specced one out for on the jeep site. However its In a grey color.

Take it from me, the color you want is worth waiting for. :fuckyeah: :jeep:
I'm in agreement with this idea. A nice color is as valuable to me as good sound. It just makes ownershit that much better each day.

I do really like the dark metallic grey that comes on the jeep doe. It seems to go well with the black fenders/wheels.
SAWCE

Filled up this morning. 17.7mpg, which is much closer to what Max used to get. That is with the last 1/4 tank or so putzing around town and commuting to/from work yesterday, so not sure what my hwy road trop mileage looked like exactly. Next time I take a trip like that I'll calulate just that mileage by filling up right before and as soon as I'm home.
max225

SAWCE wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:20 am Filled up this morning. 17.7mpg, which is much closer to what Max used to get. That is with the last 1/4 tank or so putzing around town and commuting to/from work yesterday, so not sure what my hwy road trop mileage looked like exactly. Next time I take a trip like that I'll calulate just that mileage by filling up right before and as soon as I'm home.
That is really not bad ...

Btw for the other jeep shoppers.. for some reason the jku has a 22.5 gallon tank vs 18.5 for the 2 door. Sub 20 is too small imo
Apex
Drives: Abominable

max225 wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:30 am
SAWCE wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:20 am Filled up this morning. 17.7mpg, which is much closer to what Max used to get. That is with the last 1/4 tank or so putzing around town and commuting to/from work yesterday, so not sure what my hwy road trop mileage looked like exactly. Next time I take a trip like that I'll calulate just that mileage by filling up right before and as soon as I'm home.

Btw for the other jeep shoppers.. for some reason the jku has a 22.5 gallon tank vs 18.5 for the 2 door. Sub 20 is too small imo
Probably space reasons since the JKU is longer it can accommodate the larger fuel tank.
SAWCE

Yeah the 22.5 is a lot of fuel at once, but full up at a quarter tank or so and it's not so bad. It definitely needs the bigger tank for the mileage it gets.
SixSpeeder
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Fiat

SAWCE wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:44 am

Yeah the 22.5 is a lot of fuel at once, but full up at a quarter tank or so and it's not so bad. It definitely needs the bigger tank for the mileage it gets.
The STI has a 15 gallon tank :doe: :jalepenis:
dyslexic wrote:DO YOU FEEL FEAR
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Better than my car. :impressive:
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

I dig the body color roll bar :notbad:

Interested to hear what the new tops look like, suspension and driveline changes, and what a standard Sport model looks like.
Rest of the deets at LA auto show in November apparently. Wonder if the pickup will be revealed then as well. Here's to hoping for a 2 door pickup which will never happen.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

JL looks :notbad: in those pics. Plus, it looks like Jeep gave the people what they wanted and have the windshield easily folding down again.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

[user not found] wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:32 pm https://jalopnik.com/2018-jeep-wrangler ... 1820027177

:jeep: :jeep: :jeep:

Rubicon looks awesome, doe.

:gay:
brain go brrrrrr