OT 11: Troyway to Heaven

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

troyguitar wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:37 pm
[user not found] wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:31 pm Maybe it's just semantics but the way I read the argument is 'i don't have time to mow the lawn' (example, not literal). Which is BS. Sure you do. It's true you might not have as much time to ride your bike as you would like.
I guess. I just look at total time required and have a pretty hard limit on it. If a job takes more than 50ish hours a week total (and commuting/lunch is absolutely part of that because there is no option to spend that time doing something enjoyable), then I don't want it unless the pay is ridiculously high. Whether that's 50 hours of work with no commute at all or 30 hours of commuting/lunch and 20 hours of work for the same pay? Doesn't matter to me. Time is my primary motivator.
I dig it. Time at work or associated with work is time I'm not spending doing what I want to do. Which is why I'm a little peeved with the job change, as it requires being at work longer than my last one.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:53 pm
troyguitar wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:49 pm

Assuming you never go anywhere besides work and have infinite capital to buy a place next to work, sure.

What if you want to go to the MTB trails?
Theoretically a job in a city center will pay more than one in the suburbs to account for the cost of living change. Theoretically. I know they compensate new engineers very well here and none have issue living in the city, driving a newish car, and going out to bars multiple times a week.

Live closer and you're spending less on fuel and car upkeep and shit. Not that it balances out but it's part of the equation at least. I put 4k miles on my car in a year....

MTB trails are 6 miles from my house. Nice warm up and cool down. I just ride to them, or could load up the car and drive but would probably take just as long all said and done.

Cities offer stuff too, just a different way of living than a suburb. Some are OK with it others aren't; YMMV.
Yep, it's simply not the same. Everything takes longer and is less convenient in a city and you are OK with that. I say FUCK dealing with weather (walking/biking vs driving) and fighting other people for real estate (parking, tables, bums on the street/bus/subway, lanes on roads, stools at your overpriced bars, etc.) everywhere I go every day.
Johnny_P

@[user not found] what do you think is the best way to propose traffic signal changes (relocations) at a couple intersections in my hood? Email the streets dept or email my city councilman?

I want to propose relocating traffic signals at (2) intersections from the side of the road to overhanging in the center of the intersection. As it is right now the signals are about 18-20 feet to the side of the driving lane, and as such I'm noticing a bunch of motorists blowing the light because they didn't know it was there. Locals know it's there but not the fucking suburban cheesesteak pilgrims.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

troyguitar wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:59 pm
Theoretically a job in a city center will pay more than one in the suburbs to account for the cost of living change. Theoretically. I know they compensate new engineers very well here and none have issue living in the city, driving a newish car, and going out to bars multiple times a week.

Live closer and you're spending less on fuel and car upkeep and shit. Not that it balances out but it's part of the equation at least. I put 4k miles on my car in a year....

MTB trails are 6 miles from my house. Nice warm up and cool down. I just ride to them, or could load up the car and drive but would probably take just as long all said and done.

Cities offer stuff too, just a different way of living than a suburb. Some are OK with it others aren't; YMMV.
Yep, it's simply not the same. Everything takes longer and is less convenient in a city and you are OK with that. I say FUCK dealing with weather (walking/biking vs driving) and fighting other people for real estate (parking, tables, bums on the street/bus/subway, lanes on roads, stools at your overpriced bars, etc.) everywhere I go every day.
I’ve found that living outside of a downtown area has made shit taken longer than usual.

For example, in a city everything is within 15-20 minutes of you, and you are able to get a lot more things done since everything is in close proximity.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
razr390

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:02 pm @[user not found] what do you think is the best way to propose traffic signal changes (relocations) at a couple intersections in my hood? Email the streets dept or email my city councilman?

I want to propose relocating traffic signals at (2) intersections from the side of the road to overhanging in the center of the intersection. As it is right now the signals are about 18-20 feet to the side of the driving lane, and as such I'm noticing a bunch of motorists blowing the light because they didn't know it was there. Locals know it's there but not the fucking suburban cheesesteak pilgrims.
Have someone hit the traffic light. Propose to move it if it’s already downed.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
SixSpeeder
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Fiat

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:02 pm @[user not found] what do you think is the best way to propose traffic signal changes (relocations) at a couple intersections in my hood? Email the streets dept or email my city councilman?

Take a knee in the intersection until things change
dyslexic wrote:DO YOU FEEL FEAR
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:59 pm

Depends on what you want to do as to whether or not it "takes longer." No need to drive to places means just leave the house and in a short walk you're where you wanted to be. 5 min walk from my house has 3 grocery stores, 4-5 bars, about 20 restaurants, 2 bakeries, 3 coffee shops, an auto parts store, gas station, 2 convenience stores, a CVS, bike shop, 2 parks, and a dog park. Bus stop is 2 mins from my door and will take you wherever you want to go for $2.50.
Parking problems are real and I've bitched about that before. Options do exist if you want to :waxer: for a house with a garage or parking.
I don't have a problem getting a place to sit at any of my local bars, and if I do I just go to the next one so that's not an issue.
Many restaurants you need a reservation but not all. Almost all use Opentable so you don't even need to talk to anyone to reserve it.
Bums mostly leave you alone, there aren't any in my neighborhood.
Weather is real and yes you need a decent jacket and walking shoes. That was an adjustment for me, my feet were killing me after the first 2 weeks of living in South Philly. I'm good with it now though.

It's not nearly as bad as you might think unless you melt in the rain.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

troyguitar wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:59 pm Yep, it's simply not the same. Everything takes longer and is less convenient in a city and you are OK with that. I say FUCK dealing with weather (walking/biking vs driving) and fighting other people for real estate (parking, tables, bums on the street/bus/subway, lanes on roads, stools at your overpriced bars, etc.) everywhere I go every day.
???

In cities everything is closer together, which makes for more convenience and less time doing everyday things. If I want to go to the grocery I either walk to the one two blocks away or get in the car or ride my bike to the other less than a mile away. It will take more time to go the same distance, but that's the tradeoff living in a city, you don't have to travel as far.
Johnny_P

razr390 wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:08 pm

I'm real proficient at getting potholes and street defects repaired. Just don't know how to initiate a design change. I think if I email my councilman he will just ignore it. I could put in a street repair request to move the stop lights though, lol.
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:14 pm
troyguitar wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:59 pm Yep, it's simply not the same. Everything takes longer and is less convenient in a city and you are OK with that. I say FUCK dealing with weather (walking/biking vs driving) and fighting other people for real estate (parking, tables, bums on the street/bus/subway, lanes on roads, stools at your overpriced bars, etc.) everywhere I go every day.
???

In cities everything is closer together, which makes for more convenience and less time doing everyday things. If I want to go to the grocery I either walk to the one two blocks away or get in the car or ride my bike to the other less than a mile away. It will take more time to go the same distance, but that's the tradeoff living in a city, you don't have to travel as far.
Yeah I didn't understand that line either.
razr390

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:15 pm
razr390 wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:08 pm

I'm real proficient at getting potholes and street defects repaired. Just don't know how to initiate a design change. I think if I email my councilman he will just ignore it. I could put in a street repair request to move the stop lights though, lol.
You could protest by the light naked with a sign. That might work
Johnny_P

SixSpeeder wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:08 pm

Take a knee in the intersection until things change
I like this
Johnny_P

razr390 wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:16 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:15 pm
You could protest by the light naked with a sign. That might work
:datass:
troyguitar

???

You guys must be underestimating how much time you blow on various tasks in the cities. Especially anything involving using public transport, dealing with weather, or parking a car/bike.

Don't forget to take into account that walking to the store means making more trips to carry the same amount of stuff, for example.

I guess you also find carrying a bunch of shit on foot when it's 43 degrees and raining with 15+ mph winds to be tons of fun, too? Fuck that, give me a car.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:22 pm

???

You guys must be underestimating how much time you blow on various tasks in the cities. Especially anything involving using public transport, dealing with weather, or parking a car/bike.

Don't forget to take into account that walking to the store means making more trips to carry the same amount of stuff, for example.

I guess you also find carrying a bunch of shit on foot when it's 43 degrees and raining with 15+ mph winds to be tons of fun, too? Fuck that, give me a car.
Pro tip: The grocery stores have parking lots or garages. :themoreyouknow:

So if I cared enough I could drive to Whole Foods or Acme or Trader Joe's or whatever, park for free in their garage, load up a couple weeks' worth of shit, drive home, stop at house and unload, then street park it. Total time isn't that much worse than driving multiple miles to a grocery store in the burbs. I don't see the issue.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/jer ... 15180.html

In jermey's defence she does have great tits
https://www.instagram.com/arianebellamar/

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/kev ... 25370.html
The Academy had announced the award in June, saying that the Oscar winner and House of Cards actor was “an individual who crosses cultural boundaries to touch humanity.
:hue: :hue: :hue: :hue: :hue: :hue: :hue: :hue: :hue: :hue:
brain go brrrrrr
troyguitar

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:31 pm
troyguitar wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:22 pm

So if I cared enough I could drive to Whole Foods or Acme or Trader Joe's or whatever, park for free in their garage, load up a couple weeks' worth of shit, drive home, stop at house and unload, then street park it. Total time isn't that much worse than driving multiple miles to a grocery store in the burbs. I don't see the issue.
There ya go, you're severely underestimating the time it takes you to do those things.

Multiple miles? It's 1 mile here and there's guaranteed parking in the garage at home with ZERO time spent finding a parking spot on either end. Zero time spent waiting in checkout lines. Zero time spent dealing with people slowing you down in the TINY aisles that they use in city stores. Unloading the car from the garage vs from the street? Yeah, more time saved (plus more convenience because it's protected from weather). Being able to go at ANY time of ANY day and have there be no traffic or parking issues? More convenient and faster on average.

Most things are 10-15 minutes round trip door to door at any time of any day and you're always doing it in a dry, climate-controlled vehicle. Nothing is ever a hassle here except for selling a house.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:42 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:31 pm

There ya go, you're severely underestimating the time it takes you to do those things.

Multiple miles? It's 1 mile here and there's guaranteed parking in the garage at home with ZERO time spent finding a parking spot on the either end. Zero time spent waiting in checkout lines. Zero time spent dealing with people slowing you down in the TINY aisles that they use in city stores. Unloading the car from the garage vs from the street? Yeah, more time saved (plus more convenience because it's protected from weather). Being able to go at ANY time of ANY day and have there be no traffic or parking issues? More convenient and faster on average.

Most things are 10-15 minutes round trip door to door at any time of any day and you're always doing it in a dry, climate-controlled vehicle. Nothing is ever a hassle here except for selling a house.
Sounds good. Continue harping on the drawbacks of a place that you don't live and stay blind to the benefits. There are pluses and minuses to anywhere, and it's really all dependent on what you want out of where you live. There are things I enjoy about the city and things I don't. Equally, there are things I enjoy about suburbs and some things that I really don't like. To each their own. But for my personal situation, the extra 10 minutes spent at the grocery store is made up for in one day by having a commute round trip that is on the average 45 minutes shorter than it would be in a decent suburb.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:33 pm https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/jer ... 15180.html

The Academy had announced the award in June, saying that the Oscar winner and House of Cards actor was “an individual who crosses cultural boundaries to touch humanity.
I really love that this shit is happening.

Shows getting axed all over the place like House of Cards (great name for this whole thing), careers being ruined. All by the people that think they are the moral compass for the free world and want to tell everyone what they should think about politics and the world.

uh, yeah.

:hue: :hue: :hue: :hue: :hue: :hue: :hue: :hue: :hue: :hue: :hue: :hue: :hue: :hue: :hue: :hue: :hue: :hue: :hue: :hue: :hue: :hue: :hue: :hue: :hue: :hue: :hue: :hue: :hue:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:50 pm

Shows getting axed all over the place like House of Cards (great name for this whole thing), careers being ruined. All by the people that think they are the moral compass for the free world and want to tell everyone what they should think about politics and the world.

uh, yeah.

:hue: :hue: :hue: :hue: :hue: :hue: :hue: :hue: :hue: :hue: :hue: :hue: :hue: :hue: :hue: :hue: :hue: :hue: :hue: :hue: :hue: :hue: :hue: :hue: :hue: :hue: :hue: :hue: :hue:
like ok, sexual harassment is not ok.

But god dammit in the same breath if you never make a pass at someone how will the species survive?!?!
brain go brrrrrr
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:53 pm

uh, yeah.

like ok, sexual harassment is not ok.

But god dammit in the same breath if you never make a pass at someone how will the species survive?!?!
You must wait to be swept off your feet, or harassed.... depending on how you take the advance.

Looking back, I'm pretty sure many of my advances just around last call could be seen quite differently than how I remember them. This is why I have never been in a relationship with someone I work with, or hold any position over.
troyguitar

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:48 pm
troyguitar wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:42 pm

Multiple miles? It's 1 mile here and there's guaranteed parking in the garage at home with ZERO time spent finding a parking spot on the either end. Zero time spent waiting in checkout lines. Zero time spent dealing with people slowing you down in the TINY aisles that they use in city stores. Unloading the car from the garage vs from the street? Yeah, more time saved (plus more convenience because it's protected from weather). Being able to go at ANY time of ANY day and have there be no traffic or parking issues? More convenient and faster on average.

Sounds good. Continue harping on the drawbacks of a place that you don't live and stay blind to the benefits. There are pluses and minuses to anywhere, and it's really all dependent on what you want out of where you live. There are things I enjoy about the city and things I don't. Equally, there are things I enjoy about suburbs and some things that I really don't like. To each their own. But for my personal situation, the extra 10 minutes spent at the grocery store is made up for in one day by having a commute round trip that is on the average 45 minutes shorter than it would be in a decent suburb.
You're the one peddling delusions/lies about city life in order to rationalize it or show how much better your ideas are than mine. The fact is that most tasks take more time and are less convenient to accomplish in a city. There are other benefits that might make up for it, but you've gotta be OK with dealing with lots of other people in your way lots of the time.

I tried it. I've spent time in Boston, NYC, Philly, Pittsburgh, Detroit, Louisville, Seattle. They're all like that. Occasionally you might find that a few specific trips done at very specific times might be able to be done more quickly than in a good suburb, but on average suburb lyfe is less time-consuming (and less money-consuming). Sure, you also have fewer options for shit to do or people to fuck... but that wasn't the point. This wasn't a general "city vs suburb" battle - you're the only person trying to make it about that. It's always about that with you. You can't seem to stick to the topic at hand.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:33 pm https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/jer ... 15180.html

Oh, that woman's instagram, including the google search about "can cum in your bum..." makes me remember this:

CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:59 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:48 pm
You're the one peddling delusions/lies about city life in order to rationalize it or show how much better your ideas are than mine. The fact is that most tasks take more time and are less convenient to accomplish in a city. There are other benefits that might make up for it, but you've gotta be OK with dealing with lots of other people in your way lots of the time.

I tried it. I've spent time in Boston, NYC, Philly, Pittsburgh, Detroit, Louisville, Seattle. They're all like that. Occasionally you might find that a few specific trips done at very specific times might be able to be done more quickly than in a good suburb, but on average suburb lyfe is less time-consuming (and less money-consuming). Sure, you also have fewer options for shit to do or people to fuck... but that wasn't the point. This wasn't a general "city vs suburb" battle - you're the only person trying to make it about that. It's always about that with you. You can't seem to stick to the topic at hand.
I think this boils down simply to two groups of people. Those that like/can deal with living in the city and those that do not.

You and I both appear to fall into the latter group, while Johnny is in the former.
Last edited by CorvetteWaxer on Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

uh, yeah.

The one sad thing about shows getting cancelled is that a shit ton of people are now out of work because of one assholes shitty behavior. Doesn't seem fair. They should just write out his character and bring in another actor to play a replacement character.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.