Car Talk 2: Un-American Motor Company.

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

I should GoPro a commute so you guys see what I'm up against.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:15 pm
4zilch wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:15 pm

You forgot step 3a - buy car anyway then bitch about poor road/traffic conditions within a 1000 mile radius.
:dat:
It's basically impossible to actually be a car enthusiast around here. The real answer is just to give up the car hobby because of shit road conditions plus overcrowding. Give up a bunch of things so your car is awesome for the times you do get to tear up a back road. But that's maybe 5% of the time. The other 95% of the time you're just a derp like anyone else. That's all well and good, and acceptable. But anymore that 5% of the time is getting completely ruined by roads that are appallingly bad and traffic everywhere. So you're making the compromises while getting to enjoy less and less of the benefits.

It's a losing proposition.

I struggle with what to do. I love my car, I love driving it hard, and I love the sounds it makes and interaction I have with it. It feels alive and fun all the time. But it has drawbacks like lack of midrange usable power, automatic would be nice around here, it rides bouncy and with the touchy throttle it's a handful trying to putt around at 20 MPH, and you constantly have to dodge potholes and shit. I can't really ever use the performance of the car because of the garbage roads and even worse drivers that are multiplying in this area.

So what do you do? There's not much point in having an STI if you can't have any fun with it. The drawbacks of the car never get to balance out with the awesome parts if you never get to experience the awesome parts. I love it, I truly do. But I also know my girlfriend's Tiguan with the horribad automatic trans is a better car to drive to/from work in.

So truck or CUV? With ground clearance, NFG attitude, suspension travel, and absolutely :flaccid: back road manners?
Or automatic mediocre-car like a 228i/328i/A5/whatever which has decent power, "sports" suspension that isn't sporty just keeps the car from being :flaccid: on a back road, but also is more comfortable and a nicer place to spend 30 mins every day? Then you're dealing with things like run flat tires, lack of sidewall so bent rams, other smaller car bullshit problems, etc.
Or just go used and live a true NFG life with something reliable and mundane?
Buy a MTB.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

You forgot step 3a - buy car anyway then bitch about poor road/traffic conditions within a 1000 mile radius.
It's basically impossible to actually be a car enthusiast around here. The real answer is just to give up the car hobby because of shit road conditions plus overcrowding. Give up a bunch of things so your car is awesome for the times you do get to tear up a back road. But that's maybe 5% of the time. The other 95% of the time you're just a derp like anyone else. That's all well and good, and acceptable. But anymore that 5% of the time is getting completely ruined by roads that are appallingly bad and traffic everywhere. So you're making the compromises while getting to enjoy less and less of the benefits.

I struggle with what to do. I love my car, I love driving it hard, and I love the sounds it makes and interaction I have with it. It feels alive and fun all the time. But it has drawbacks like lack of midrange usable power, automatic would be nice around here, it rides bouncy and with the touchy throttle it's a handful trying to putt around at 20 MPH, and you constantly have to dodge potholes and shit. I can't really ever use the performance of the car because of the garbage roads and even worse drivers that are multiplying in this area.

So what do you do? There's not much point in having an STI if you can't have any fun with it. The drawbacks of the car never get to balance out with the awesome parts if you never get to experience the awesome parts. I love it, I truly do. But I also know my girlfriend's Tiguan with the horribad automatic trans is a better car to drive to/from work in.

So truck or CUV? With ground clearance, NFG attitude, suspension travel, and absolutely :flaccid: back road manners?
Or automatic mediocre-car like a 228i/328i/A5/whatever which has decent power, "sports" suspension that isn't sporty just keeps the car from being :flaccid: on a back road, but also is more comfortable and a nicer place to spend 30 mins every day? Then you're dealing with things like run flat tires, lack of sidewall so bent rams, other smaller car bullshit problems, etc.
I think this is where the Jeep comes in. It is nearly the only :aintcare: vehicle that has such a strong enthusiast following.

Which is why I want one also... My 335i is great for :aintcare: commuting but not that great either... I can't park it in most places because it doesn't clear curbs. Ppl always try to ding your doors and I am one pebble away from a new windshield...
I can't take it camping/offroading/going far places because Lease... I dunnoo..... the days with it are getting more and more numbered.
Also JL production started 10/16. :mindblown:
Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

4zilch wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:14 am I hass a picture of my car on a road.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
:like:
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:17 pm I should GoPro a commute so you guys see what I'm up against.
I'd peep it.
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '04 R32, '90 Miata, '17 CB300F

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:17 pm I should GoPro a commute so you guys see what I'm up against.
:doit:
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '04 R32, '90 Miata, '17 CB300F

4zilch wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:35 pm ...and TOTD is just beyond.
:dat: You're not wrong.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:23 pm
I'd peep it.
+1
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:17 pmBuy a MTB.
I have WAY more fun biking than I do driving my car in this area. It's not even close. At all.

Some days I think a 4Runner would be fun. Then I drive around in my work Exploder which is basically the same, and I fucking HATE that thing. Can't do it.
Some days I think a Jeep would be fun, but I don't like the way they jiggle side to side over every bump. A drawback of the ox cart suspension.
The thought of owning a CUV is soul killing to an enthusiast. But they make sense really.
The entry-fun RWD pseudo-luxury cars are a possibility but I think I'd end up with the GTI syndrome of hating the car because it claims to be sporty but isn't and all falls apart on a fun road. Which I never drive on.
And I refuse to drive any more underpowered slow economy-based FWD shitboxes.

0-60 in under 7 seconds
Automatic
Preference to have more than 4 cylinders but I know this is NGH basically
RWD or AWD only
Decent ride
Competent handling if not totally sublime
Dog shelf rear seat at minimum, 4 doors would be more ideal.
Around or under 180" in length

Under $30k. Closer to $20k is more ideal.
Last edited by Johnny_P on Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny_P

stripethree wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:25 pm
:doit:
Not sure where the GoBro accessory stuff went but I do have the camera, USB cable, and memory card and I guess that's all that is necessary.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:26 pm
I have WAY more fun biking than I do driving my car in this area. It's not even close. At all.

Some days I think a 4Runner would be fun. Then I drive around in my work Exploder which is basically the same, and I fucking HATE that thing. Can't do it.
Some days I think a Jeep would be fun, but I don't like the way they jiggle side to side over every bump. A drawback of the ox cart suspension.
The thought of owning a CUV is soul killing to an enthusiast. But they make sense really.
The entry-fun RWD pseudo-luxury cars are a possibility but I think I'd end up with the GTI syndrome of hating the car because it claims to be sporty but isn't and all falls apart on a fun road. Which I never drive on.

0-60 in under 7 seconds
Automatic
RWD or AWD only
Decent ride
I've been chatting with wifey about this same kind of thing, plus I need :baby: space in addition to :doge: .

Jeepin' might not be too far off for me, especially if I can grab a :dill: I will say, it's way more fun to go MTB than to worry about trying to :stig: on a back road.
max225

0-60 in under 7 seconds
Automatic
RWD or AWD only
Decent ride

This almost sounds like a :mahtroy: list
B8 S4
B8.5 S4/5
328i
230i/228i
G37/Q50
IS350
S3
A3 2.0T (does everything you'd like but VAG)
IS200t (this may be the best option)
THey are all slightly longer than 180, except the A3(181-5)

But I'd think a luxo sedan is far worse in your situation than a STI.
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:32 pm

0-60 in under 7 seconds
Automatic
RWD or AWD only
Decent ride
I've been chatting with wifey about this same kind of thing, plus I need :baby: space in addition to :doge: .

Jeepin' might not be too far off for me, especially if I can grab a :dill: I will say, it's way more fun to go MTB than to worry about trying to :stig: on a back road.
I liked the Jeep, mostly. It's unique and feels special, and that has staying power. I didn't like the brakes but whatever. My issue was the handling was so wonky. But if you can deal with it, they're cool vehicles.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Living in the city and parking on the street all the time, I'd have a really hard time not giving up and driving some :derp:-spec econobox every day. :whocares: if it gets beat to shit, just get through the grind NFG. Would be hard not having something engaging, but if finances allow I guess I'd probably find the cheapest storage unit possible somewhere out in the sticks and stash a non-depreciating S2000 inside for when the :stig: urges hit.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Comfy car/SUV/truk and a fun motorcycle for the backroads.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:43 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:26 pm0-60 in under 7 seconds
Automatic
RWD or AWD only
Decent ride

B8 S4
B8.5 S4/5
328i
230i/228i
G37/Q50
IS350
S3

Why is luxo sedan worse? Just based on depreciation and such?
I'd be looking used for these. In the $30k range.
SixSpeeder
Drives: Fiat

stripethree wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:57 pm Those Chargers can cruise at 150 without a problem. Might be true, I don't know, but I'm betting newscaster dude doesn't either. Also, that's a Challenger, bruh.
That dodger could accelerate :wat:

I guess he was dodging the popo :iono:
dyslexic wrote:DO YOU FEEL FEAR
Johnny_P

razr390 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:55 pmComfy car/SUV/truk and a fun motorcycle for the backroads.
Motorcycle in city = dead
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:50 pm Living in the city and parking on the street all the time, I'd have a really hard time not giving up and driving some :derp:-spec econobox every day. :whocares: if it gets beat to shit, just get through the grind NFG. Would be hard not having something engaging, but if finances allow I guess I'd probably find the cheapest storage unit possible somewhere out in the sticks and stash a non-depreciating S2000 inside for when the :stig: urges hit.
Right but what do you go buy. What soul sucking derpmobile do you actually go spend your hard earned money on?
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:59 pm
coogles wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:50 pm Living in the city and parking on the street all the time, I'd have a really hard time not giving up and driving some :derp:-spec econobox every day. :whocares: if it gets beat to shit, just get through the grind NFG. Would be hard not having something engaging, but if finances allow I guess I'd probably find the cheapest storage unit possible somewhere out in the sticks and stash a non-depreciating S2000 inside for when the :stig: urges hit.
Right but what do you go buy. What soul sucking derpmobile do you actually go spend your hard earned money on?
New civic is nice. Honda shit?
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:59 pm
In Indy I'd probably get an 07-08 Fit sport with a manual. Former neighbor had one and it isn't totally soul-crushing. With shit Philly roads and traffic, though, probably a Crosstrek. Can do the MTB thing, has room for the :doge:, more suspension travel and rubber for those gnarly potholes, should be reliable, good fuel economy, fairly low depreciation. It's just about the ultimate :derp: mobile.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

0-60 in under 7 seconds
Automatic
RWD or AWD only
Decent ride

Audi TT or A3 3.2 quattro+DSG with maybe a couple of modz i.e. 17" :ramz: and a big rear sway bar to make it understeer less. $20k buys a pristine one.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:57 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:43 pm

B8 S4
B8.5 S4/5
328i
230i/228i
G37/Q50
IS350
S3

Why is luxo sedan worse? Just based on depreciation and such?
I'd be looking used for these. In the $30k range.
Maintenance costs
Reliability
Depreciation
SixSpeeder
Drives: Fiat

I drove a Challenger 392 yesterday, such boat, very acceleration :doge:
dyslexic wrote:DO YOU FEEL FEAR
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:13 pm

0-60 in under 7 seconds
Automatic
RWD or AWD only
Decent ride

Audi TT or A3 3.2 quattro+DSG with maybe a couple of modz i.e. 17" :ramz: and a big rear sway bar to make it understeer less. $20k buys a pristine one.
So a MK5 Golf with Audi tax and 1st gen DSG? :yikes: