Dem bicicletas, doe

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

coogles wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:25 pm Oh, and I sold the Orbea today. :fuckyeah: :fuckyeah:

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
:notbad:
Apex
Drives: Abominable

coogles wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:25 pm Oh, and I sold the Orbea today. :fuckyeah: :fuckyeah:

Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

:popcorn:
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Gberg2119 wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:37 pm
Apex wrote:
Didn't seem bad at all, so Six Mile should be fine.
What time were you thinking? 10, 11? Fled?

Aiming for 9am at the canal road lot.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Decided to take the afternoon to head down to Brown County and check out the demo bikes. Giant, Niner, Trek, Scott, and Ibis were there.

Didn't get to ride as much as I wanted to, but I'll go in order.

Started with the Trance Advanced 2. The 1.2 mile loop they had open began with a fairly mild climb, and I was impressed with how well it did. A tiny bit of bob from the rear suspension, even seated, but it didn't seem to slow me down much. Reached the top and the trail opened up into a nice rhythm section. Was really surprised with how playful it was. Turned in confidently on the 2.4s, was all too happy to pop off the small jumps and get in the air. The second half of the loop I got stuck behind a couple slowet riders so I went through again, and by the time I got back I had a grin from ear to ear. Oh yeah...THIS is why I fell in love with MTBing in the first place.

Next up was the Anthem Advanced 2. I figured it would be super similar to the Trance but feel a little more lively, but it's definitely a different experience. Corners the same, but with less travel it feels a bit more serious, like it just wants to stay planted and not do anything too crazy. Also felt like I was sitting more on the bike instead of in it somehow. My expectations of the two were basically opposite of what I experienced. Super surprised, but between the two I'd pick the Trance every time.

The only other bike I got to ride was the new 2018 Scott Genius. This thing was decked out, nearly their top level build with Fox Factory goodies, full carbon, 1x12 drivetrain...$8,200. Holy :waxer: spec. Main conclusion was that it's too much bike for anything I'll be doing anytime soon. Climbing on that bike absolutely sucked. Even with the two-stage lockout in the rear shock, getting that bike up a hill was painful. I think a lot of it had to do with the 2.8 tires, The rolling resistance after getting off of the other two was noticable. The thing is marketed as a quiver-killer, but it seemed more like a big hitter bike to me. If felt so planted and just wanted to absorb every little imperfection. Really smooth, but not as much fun. If I was taking a lift to the top of a run and just doing downhill, this would be the bike, but it wasn't a good fit for the kind of riding I'll be doing.

The Scott sales rep really wanted me to try the Spark, but all they had were smalls and XLs. Also wanted to try the Ibis Mojo, but I had to head back home to meet the guy who bought the Orbea and didn't get the time. All good though, really happy to at least get the chance to ride what I did.

Will try to find a day soon to rent a 5010 and then we'll see! Pumped. :fuckyeah:

Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:00 pm Decided to take the afternoon to head down to Brown County and check out the demo bikes. Giant, Niner, Trek, Scott, and Ibis were there.

Didn't get to ride as much as I wanted to, but I'll go in order.

Started with the Trance Advanced 2. The 1.2 mile loop they had open began with a fairly mild climb, and I was impressed with how well it did. A tiny bit of bob from the rear suspension, even seated, but it didn't seem to slow me down much. Reached the top and the trail opened up into a nice rhythm section. Was really surprised with how playful it was. Turned in confidently on the 2.4s, was all too happy to pop off the small jumps and get in the air. The second half of the loop I got stuck behind a couple slowet riders so I went through again, and by the time I got back I had a grin from ear to ear. Oh yeah...THIS is why I fell in love with MTBing in the first place.

Next up was the Anthem Advanced 2. I figured it would be super similar to the Trance but feel a little more lively, but it's definitely a different experience. Corners the same, but with less travel it feels a bit more serious, like it just wants to stay planted and not do anything too crazy. Also felt like I was sitting more on the bike instead of in it somehow. My expectations of the two were basically opposite of what I experienced. Super surprised, but between the two I'd pick the Trance every time.

The only other bike I got to ride was the new 2018 Scott Genius. This thing was decked out, nearly their top level build with Fox Factory goodies, full carbon, 1x12 drivetrain...$8,200. Holy :waxer: spec. Main conclusion was that it's too much bike for anything I'll be doing anytime soon. Climbing on that bike absolutely sucked. Even with the two-stage lockout in the rear shock, getting that bike up a hill was painful. I think a lot of it had to do with the 2.8 tires, The rolling resistance after getting off of the other two was noticable. The thing is marketed as a quiver-killer, but it seemed more like a big hitter bike to me. If felt so planted and just wanted to absorb every little imperfection. Really smooth, but not as much fun. If I was taking a lift to the top of a run and just doing downhill, this would be the bike, but it wasn't a good fit for the kind of riding I'll be doing.

The Scott sales rep really wanted me to try the Spark, but all they had were smalls and XLs. Also wanted to try the Ibis Mojo, but I had to head back home to meet the guy who bought the Orbea and didn't get the time. All good though, really happy to at least get the chance to ride what I did.

Will try to find a day soon to rent a 5010 and then we'll see! Pumped. :fuckyeah:
That's fucking awesome. I want to try out a trance now. Dammit.
Johnny_P

I had that exact same reaction from the 5010 demo. And the anthem demo. Fuuuuuuuuu.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:51 am
Johnny_P wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:27 am

That's fucking awesome. I want to try out a trance now. Dammit.
:doit: :doit: :doit: :doit: :doit:
:doit: :boxodicks: :boxodicks: :boxodicks: :doit:
:doit: :boxodicks: :troywax: :boxodicks: :doit:
Dude you have no idea. It's one of those two bikes. Advanced 2 models. The Anthem was almost perfect. If the Trance is similar with more travel it's game over.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

What the fuck... we had him landed on a bike, and now it’s all blown the fuck up again.
Apex

fledonfoot wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:58 pm What the fuck... we had him landed on a bike, and now it’s all blown the fuck up again.
:dat:

He was so close to a highlighter!
Apex

Six Mile today was a 5/7 ride.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote:
[user not found] wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:51 am :doit: :doit: :doit: :doit: :doit:
:doit: :boxodicks: :troywax: :boxodicks: :doit:
Dude you have no idea. It's one of those two bikes. Advanced 2 models. The Anthem was almost perfect. If the Trance is similar with more travel it's game over.
TA2 is :mindblown: good. Must have one. Unless I like the 5010 better. :trollface:

What had you leaning toward the Anthem over the 5010? Sounds like you loved that bike. Just the value aspect?

fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

coogles wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:30 pm
Johnny_P wrote:
TA2 is :mindblown: good. Must have one. Unless I like the 5010 better. :trollface:

What had you leaning toward the Anthem over the 5010? Sounds like you loved that bike. Just the value aspect?

To me, it’s the value you get with the Giant... but the other thing is that the Santa Cruz Standard “c” level carbon bikes are... heavy. When I was bike shopping, the 5010 was a solid pound or so heavier than the competition. To get in to some of the same weight levels as the Orbea/Giant/trek/specialized bikes you had to go all the way up to the CC level bikes... and :derp: money.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

fledonfoot wrote:
coogles wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:30 pm TA2 is :mindblown: good. Must have one. Unless I like the 5010 better. :trollface:

To me, it’s the value you get with the Giant... but the other thing is that the Santa Cruz Standard “c” level carbon bikes are... heavy. When I was bike shopping, the 5010 was a solid pound or so heavier than the competition. To get in to some of the same weight levels as the Orbea/Giant/trek/specialized bikes you had to go all the way up to the CC level bikes... and :derp: money.
Makes sense. I didn't realize the regular carbon C bikes were so heavy. Backcountry.com had some of last year's models 25% off, but they dropped the discount to 15% a couple weeks ago.

Still might be the way to go if I really like the bike after a rental day and they still have one, but :iono:.

fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

coogles wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:57 pm
fledonfoot wrote:
Makes sense. I didn't realize the regular carbon C bikes were so heavy. Backcountry.com had some of last year's models 25% off, but they dropped the discount to 15% a couple weeks ago.

Still might be the way to go if I really like the bike after a rental day and they still have one, but :iono:.

They’re still good bikes and a solid value, but I think there’s better options at each price level.
Johnny_P

5010 is good for sure. Anthem is basically the same IMO but cheaper for what you get and lighter by a significant bit too.

Carbon wheels on the AA2 make it that much sweeter. And Giant doesn't mess around with shitty wheels actually. They are competitive with Reynolds and such. That's a solid value.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Stopped in at a different LBS I've never been to before on the way home from a volunteer even with work. Didn't know they were a Pivot dealer, but they had a brand new Mach 5.5 sitting out on display. Holy :jizz:, what a gorgeous bike. Matte red and all. :trollface:

Too :waxer: for me, though, even the "base" build is $4,899 and comes with a full XT drivetrain and a FOX 36 up front, but pretty cheap alloy wheels. Have to go up to a $7,099 price tag to get Reynolds carbon wheels...sheesh.

As much as I'd love to have one, the TA2 looks like an even better value in comparison. Thinking at this point I'll wait until spring, though. 2018s aren't even here yet, and by the time they are riding season will be over around here. Plus good chance I'll be able to snag one for 15% off at BGI's spring sale. This is going to be a looooong wait.

Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Anyone riding this weekend?

fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Gberg2119 wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:46 pm Anyone riding this weekend?

Clayton on Saturday, Core sunday afternoon.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

fledonfoot wrote:
Gberg2119 wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:46 pm Anyone riding this weekend?

Clayton on Saturday, Core sunday afternoon.
Where's Clayton at?

I can ride both days too.

Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote:Did Johnny_B_Wasteful get a :boxodicks: yet?
:lol:

Apex

[user not found] wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:38 pm Did Johnny_B_Wasteful get a :boxodicks: yet?
Do we really need to ask that question?

Of course he hasn't.

He's actually been really quiet around here lately. :notsure:
Apex

What time are ya'll thinking for Core Sunday?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Philly :bruh: s.

Anyone want to ride next week? Johnny_W has expressed interest. I think I could do Monday or Wednesday after work. I'm guessing everyone has normal day job hours? I could probably swing some mornings.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

[user not found] wrote:
D Griff wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:14 pm Philly :bruh: s.

Anyone want to ride next week? Johnny_W has expressed interest. I think I could do Monday or Wednesday after work. I'm guessing everyone has normal day job hours? I could probably swing some mornings.
My only day is Tuesday.
I have demos until 7 PM :disappoint: