OT 11: Troyway to Heaven

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

nuggstein wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:47 pm Does anyone here use Sling TV or DirectTV Now? We have to switch from FIOS to Optimum when we move. I was thinking about just ordering an internet service package, and using my own modem and router, so there's no rental fees. Then using Sling TV or DirectTV Now for television service. A la carte channels. We don't need 1,500 channels. Only about $20-$40/month depending. No setup, can cancel whenever, and use your own device. No rental costs for stupid receivers. Not renting receivers basically covers the majority of the cost of either of these two services. Up to 3 devices can use the services at once, I believe. Sling TV has a Cloud DVR service, and DirectTV Now will have it this fall.

Thoughts?
I have internet from Comcast and use NetFlix/Hulu/Amazon Video for all my TV needs. It's so nice to not have a stupid high cable bill for shit we don't even watch. I run my own modem/router too so Comcast is only $40/mo.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Apex wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:17 pm
nuggstein wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:47 pm Does anyone here use Sling TV or DirectTV Now? We have to switch from FIOS to Optimum when we move. I was thinking about just ordering an internet service package, and using my own modem and router, so there's no rental fees. Then using Sling TV or DirectTV Now for television service. A la carte channels. We don't need 1,500 channels. Only about $20-$40/month depending. No setup, can cancel whenever, and use your own device. No rental costs for stupid receivers. Not renting receivers basically covers the majority of the cost of either of these two services. Up to 3 devices can use the services at once, I believe. Sling TV has a Cloud DVR service, and DirectTV Now will have it this fall.

Thoughts?
I have internet from Comcast and use NetFlix/Hulu/Amazon Video for all my TV needs. It's so nice to not have a stupid high cable bill for shit we don't even watch. I run my own modem/router too so Comcast is only $40/mo.
Yes, those are better than the other services, unless you actually want to watch...... live TV.

I know, I know.... nobody does that right? except shit like the superbowl, or NBA playoffs, or racing events.... for sitcoms/dramas though the others are better.
Apex

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:19 pm
Apex wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:17 pm

Yes, those are better than the other services, unless you actually want to watch...... live TV.

I know, I know.... nobody does that right? except shit like the superbowl, or NBA playoffs, or racing events.... for sitcoms/dramas though the others are better.
That was my holdup to cutting cable, I was watching some sort of racing nearly every weekend. Honestly now I don't miss it. I was able to get a free weekend from SlingTV, I think, to watch the 24 Hrs of LeMans and that's all the racing I've watched this year.

Sports is the reason a lot of people I know haven't ditched cable yet.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

:hai:
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Work time
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
nuggstein
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2012 GTI

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:13 pm

Thoughts?
I tried Sling and Playstation Vue, and DirecTV Now has the same issues I had with the others...

1. Streaming can suck balls, even if you have Gigabit internet and can download at 109 MegaBytes per second. Their servers are not the best and get overloaded at times.
2. Pause/Rewind was intermittent and buggy.
3. No surround sound, only 2 channel stereo audio supported on all channels.
4. Sports or fast motion streams looked like 480p images at best with a lot of macroblocking.

The streams they provide only use 3.7 - 5 megabit of bandwidth which is far too low. Even at 6 megabit everyone shits on comcast and satellite. For comparison, other the air HDTV can be up to 19.38 megabit, and usually is.
Does two channel stereo include 2.1? I don't currently have a surround setup. I also feel like having the right kind of router and device make a difference as well. What router and streaming devices were you using to stream?
:crang:
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

nuggstein wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:02 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:13 pm

I tried Sling and Playstation Vue, and DirecTV Now has the same issues I had with the others...

1. Streaming can suck balls, even if you have Gigabit internet and can download at 109 MegaBytes per second. Their servers are not the best and get overloaded at times.
4. Sports or fast motion streams looked like 480p images at best with a lot of macroblocking.

The streams they provide only use 3.7 - 5 megabit of bandwidth which is far too low. Even at 6 megabit everyone shits on comcast and satellite. For comparison, other the air HDTV can be up to 19.38 megabit, and usually is.
Does two channel stereo include 2.1? I don't currently have a surround setup. I also feel like having the right kind of router and device make a difference as well. What router and streaming devices were you using to stream?
Did I say 2.1? :D

Sorry IT guy, it's not my router.

Like I said, I can download at 109 MEGABYTES per second and stream multiple instances of Hulu/Netflix/Amazon Prime at the same time to my NVIDIA Shield units with no issues, but the guys trying to get into the cord cutting live tv game stink right now. Go read the reviews on reddit and elsewhere.
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:33 pm
Apex wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:31 pm

That was my holdup to cutting cable, I was watching some sort of racing nearly every weekend. Honestly now I don't miss it. I was able to get a free weekend from SlingTV, I think, to watch the 24 Hrs of LeMans and that's all the racing I've watched this year.

I can't stand watching racing on TV anyway. It's 75% commercials and horrible coverage. :(
:dat: made it easier to cut it out too.

Radio LeMans coverage is 5/7 doe.
datgrundle
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Tits and ass to the DFD

C00bs
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

Phone interview for a dream job at 3pm tomorrow. Would improve my standard of living and require a D.C. move. COME ON. I WANT YOU JERB.
Apex

C00bs wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:48 pm Phone interview for a dream job at 3pm tomorrow. Would improve my standard of living and require a D.C. move. COME ON. I WANT YOU JERB.
ALL YOUR JERB ARE BELONG TO US.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

nuggstein wrote:
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:13 pm I tried Sling and Playstation Vue, and DirecTV Now has the same issues I had with the others...

2.1 is just stereo with a digital or analog crossover to send audio to the sub.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Jerbs.... Ugh. Mine has blown ass this week. Next week should be :fuckyeah: though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

C00bs wrote:Phone interview for a dream job at 3pm tomorrow. Would improve my standard of living and require a D.C. move. COME ON. I WANT YOU JERB.
How is living in DC an upgrade?
troyguitar

D Griff wrote:
nuggstein wrote: Does two channel stereo include 2.1? I don't currently have a surround setup. I also feel like having the right kind of router and device make a difference as well. What router and streaming devices were you using to stream?
:dat:
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

datgrundle wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:45 pm
:mindblown:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
nuggstein

[user not found] wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:33 pm
Apex wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:31 pm

I can't stand watching racing on TV anyway. It's 75% commercials and horrible coverage. :(
like all sports?
nuggstein

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:39 pm
nuggstein wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:02 pm

Did I say 2.1? :D

Sorry IT guy, it's not my router.

Like I said, I can download at 109 MEGABYTES per second and stream multiple instances of Hulu/Netflix/Amazon Prime at the same time to my NVIDIA Shield units with no issues, but the guys trying to get into the cord cutting live tv game stink right now. Go read the reviews on reddit and elsewhere.
Dafuq, so subwoofers don't work?
nuggstein

D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:53 pm
nuggstein wrote:
oh okay.

thank you sound man
nuggstein

oops. double booked a meeting tomorrow. ooooooops. gonna have to tell this other customer to either join at 11am instead of 10, or reschedule for monday since they are only available until 12pm. one of the customers take precedence.

shit.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:54 pm Jerbs.... Ugh. Mine has blown ass this week. Next week should be :fuckyeah: though.

I've had several instances this week where my boss emailed me asking why projects weren't done and I had to forward his own emails from last week back to him where he'd stated that he was going to take care of those projects. Each time he's come back with "oh yeah... well I need you to get that done today" :eyeroll: I don't mind doing it, but I don't want to be rushing and half-assing a project because you sat on it for a week without working on it like you said you would.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote:
C00bs wrote:Phone interview for a dream job at 3pm tomorrow. Would improve my standard of living and require a D.C. move. COME ON. I WANT YOU JERB.
How is living in DC an upgrade?
I think he's in New York now? I'd choose DC over that. I'm in the shit hole of NYC currently.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

SAWCE wrote:
D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:54 pm Jerbs.... Ugh. Mine has blown ass this week. Next week should be :fuckyeah: though.

I've had several instances this week where my boss emailed me asking why projects weren't done and I had to forward his own emails from last week back to him where he'd stated that he was going to take care of those projects. Each time he's come back with "oh yeah... well I need you to get that done today" :eyeroll: I don't mind doing it, but I don't want to be rushing and half-assing a project because you sat on it for a week without working on it like you said you would.
Yeah, that's some shit :rage:
troyguitar

D Griff wrote:
troyguitar wrote:How is living in DC an upgrade?
I think he's in New York now? I'd choose DC over that. I'm in the shit hole of NYC currently.
Ahhh that could be, tough call :doe:
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

[user not found] wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:44 pm
nuggstein wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:25 pm
like all sports?
I don't sports.
BEIN motorcycle racing coverages is commercial free :mindblown:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...