Waxer's Haus of Wax

Strut your greasy stuff!
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

max225 wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:19 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:13 pm

I'm trying to keep things under control since it's the wife's daily driver, but brakes would be nice... I am currently planning on the lift/level, fenders, wheels and tires and replacing the headlights with some new LED projectors.
Do the projectors bolt in ? And are they any good ?

Also what brakes are you planning ? What are the best options?
If I get a JKU, I'd like to do brakes/projectors and stereo (i'm shopping non alpines) and call it a day.
I hate modding but those things need to be addressed.
I haven't looked into the brakes yet, but they would be appreciated for sure.

As for the lights, yes... they are bolt in replacements and the reviews are really good. There are a million of them as they use a standard 7" round light and China knocks everything off. If you go to youtube there are a lot of reviews and head to heads, but I still think the JW Speaker kit is attractive and it doesn't need any stupid harnesses or anti-flicker devices..

This goes over the install, very simple:

Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

What wheels/tires are you looking at? Terraflex would be fine for a mild lift, don't think you need anything more than 2-3" for some additional Mall Krawler points. If you wanted to be more :waxer: I'd grab an AEV kit.

JW Speaker headlights are 5/7 and a simple bolt-in. Lighting upgrades for these are super easy and not terribly expensive.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Apex wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:36 pm What wheels/tires are you looking at? Terraflex would be fine for a mild lift, don't think you need anything more than 2-3" for some additional Mall Krawler points. If you wanted to be more :waxer: I'd grab an AEV kit.

JW Speaker headlights are 5/7 and a simple bolt-in. Lighting upgrades for these are super easy and not terribly expensive.
It's gotta be mild since the wife drives it. She likes the whole 4X4 aspect and all, but doesn't want a rope ladder to get in. :)

Also, I'm not going to spend a ton on it until I am the driver. She'll still find a way to curb a wheel that as 8 inches of tire protecting it.
Apex

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:45 pm
Apex wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:36 pm What wheels/tires are you looking at? Terraflex would be fine for a mild lift, don't think you need anything more than 2-3" for some additional Mall Krawler points. If you wanted to be more :waxer: I'd grab an AEV kit.

It's gotta be mild since the wife drives it. She likes the whole 4X4 aspect and all, but doesn't want a rope ladder to get in. :)

Also, I'm not going to spend a ton on it until I am the driver. She'll still find a way to curb a wheel that as 8 inches of tire protecting it.
2.5" lift with some 35s would be :tits: IMO.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:52 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:19 pm

Do the projectors bolt in ? And are they any good ?

Also what brakes are you planning ? What are the best options?
If I get a JKU, I'd like to do brakes/projectors and stereo (i'm shopping non alpines) and call it a day.
I hate modding but those things need to be addressed.

As for the lights, yes... they are bolt in replacements and the reviews are really good. There are a million of them as they use a standard 7" round light and China knocks everything off. If you go to youtube there are a lot of reviews and head to heads, but I still think the JW Speaker kit is attractive and it doesn't need any stupid harnesses or anti-flicker devices..

Believe it or not but I actually spent some time researching the options... It seems that a lot of guys complain about Chinese lights, sporadic complaints with no clear consensus on whats best. There are tons of aftermarket options as I have mentioned. Some of the nicer ones are closer to 1k a set for Chinese shit :disgust: how much is the OEM solution? How about regular LED/HID bulbs?

I have had really bad luck with chinese lights.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:04 pm

Believe it or not but I actually spent some time researching the options... It seems that a lot of guys complain about Chinese lights, sporadic complaints with no clear consensus on whats best. There are tons of aftermarket options as I have mentioned. Some of the nicer ones are closer to 1k a set for Chinese shit :disgust: how much is the OEM solution? How about regular LED/HID bulbs?

No way.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Yeah, that's why I think I'm going with JW Speaker, made in the USA by a well established company.
Apex

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:29 pm

Yeah, that's why I think I'm going with JW Speaker, made in the USA by a well established company.
:dat:

OEM Mopar LED retrofit is somewhere between $750-1000 I think??
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:48 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:44 pm

I am thinking about it next along with a small lift & level as well as bigger tires and wheels.
I really like the FF's. I have no love for the stock ramz and slight lift looks good. I think I'd look into some brake improvements if I did that though. Or maybe just period.
FFs are just to help fit larger wheels/tires?
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:08 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:48 pm

I really like the FF's. I have no love for the stock ramz and slight lift looks good. I think I'd look into some brake improvements if I did that though. Or maybe just period.
And to help pick up busty Latinas @ the mall.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:29 pm
SAWCE wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:08 pm

I sure do like busy Latinas, Cotton.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:34 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:29 pm

I sure do like busy Latinas, Cotton.
:dat: :zing:
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

So, all of the SwissTrax has been sitting in my workout room for the last 10 days, waiting on the remaining edges that were out of stock (and not communicated to me until I pinged them after doing inventory). Also have the friggen expensive sheer cutter on the right bottom in there. Hoping to install it next weekend.

365 tiles total.

wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:27 pm So, all of the SwissTrax has been sitting in my workout room for the last 10 days, waiting on the remaining edges that were out of stock (and not communicated to me until I pinged them after doing inventory). Also have the friggen expensive sheer cutter on the right bottom in there. Hoping to install it next weekend.

365 tiles total.

In4pics
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:58 pm In4pics
Was going to do the install on Saturday... woke up, assembled the cutting shear and was ready to get to work.... Tested the Shear.... and the tiles did not fit.

:wtf: :rage: :rage: :wtf:

The specs online said it would cut .75" material. Tiles are .75" high. Tiles do not fit under the blade. Look at the spec sheet in the box, "cuts material up to 5/8" thick".

Worst part? I bought the shear on Amazon and I waited for the edges from Swisstrax, so I am now out of the return window and the shear was almost $400. :rage:
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Put a dick sticker, and a NEEK face sticker on it, and sell it here.
Someone will buy it.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Melon wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:31 am Put a dick sticker, and a NEEK face sticker on it, and sell it here.
Someone will buy it.
Genius!!
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

Melon wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:31 am Put a dick sticker, and a NEEK face sticker on it, and sell it here.
Someone will buy it.

Can confirm. Dick sticker is the way to go.
wap

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:29 am
Was going to do the install on Saturday... woke up, assembled the cutting shear and was ready to get to work.... Tested the Shear.... and the tiles did not fit.

The specs online said it would cut .75" material. Tiles are .75" high. Tiles do not fit under the blade. Look at the spec sheet in the box, "cuts material up to 5/8" thick".

Worst part? I bought the shear on Amazon and I waited for the edges from Swisstrax, so I am now out of the return window and the shear was almost $400. :rage:
Fuuuuuuck!! :rage:
wap

Someone will buy it.
:notbad: :lolol:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

CorvetteWaxer wrote:

Sounds like a case can be made for a return. 5/8" is only 0.625"

Y'all need to go metric already.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Tarspin wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:05 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote:

Sounds like a case can be made for a return. 5/8" is only 0.625"

Pfft, we tried that in the 70's and it didn't stick.

Problem is, this is one of those things that even if I could return it, it would now be a box of loose parts shipping back after I disassemble it.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

CorvetteWaxer wrote:
Tarspin wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:05 pm Sounds like a case can be made for a return. 5/8" is only 0.625"

Pfft, we tried that in the 70's and it didn't stick.

Problem is, this is one of those things that even if I could return it, it would now be a box of loose parts shipping back after I disassemble it.
I'd ship it ZFG. Amazon would :dealwithit: and I'd have $400 worth of kitten soft microfiber towels barreling towards my house in a delivery truck right now.... be set till December.

I have faith in the current work force, the SI system has already creeped up on almost every line of work. Besides, you guys should :doit: , people can come to work and say "I got er up to 320 this weekend"!
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Yesterday I did the garage floor.

I didn't feel like using my table saw and ended up using my skill saw to trim the tiles for the edges and they turned out pretty good.

Snapped this near the end of the evening last night when I just started to pile stuff on the benches so I could wrap up before it got too late. Friggen tired. Moving the benches, air compressor and the mini-mill was a real pain in the ass and I am sore all over today.

Next up after cleaning up everything: new lighting fixtures that are properly wired and removing the bulb. Thinking about going to a bunch of 6" recessed cans with LEDs

Oh, anyone need a stock LS3 throttle body I pulled off my 2011 Grand Sport? It's sitting on the top of the cabinet in the right.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Bought this yesterday:

52" wide, will be delivered next Saturday morning.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-pro-seri ... ckType=G16