Dem bicicletas, doe

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Apex wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:28 am
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:27 am Well it's time to do something. My 29er, def broke the rear hub last night between how many times the chain got thrown off the crank and all the strange noises it's making.
Yaaassssss
Last time it did this it needed a new freewheel which was like $65 at the bike shop because only they can buy the replacement parts :rolleyes:

I ain't spending another $65 on that wheelset especially when I know the rear hub is trashed. So then $120 or whatever for a wheel? Nukka please that bike is worth $300 used, NGH.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:30 am Last time it did this it needed a new freewheel which was like $65 at the bike shop because only they can buy the replacement parts :rolleyes:

I ain't spending another $65 on that wheelset especially when I know the rear hub is trashed. So then $120 or whatever for a wheel? Nukka please that bike is worth $300 used, NGH.
Worth it to have a beater bike in the city that you :aintcare: if it gets stolen. My old Cannondale is that for me, which is why I haven't taken it on the trails again. It's only worth maybe $100, but if it breaks it'll cost a lot more than $100 to get a bike I can bomb around the city with, throw against a bike rack, and just not give a damn.
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:52 am
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:30 am Last time it did this it needed a new freewheel which was like $65 at the bike shop because only they can buy the replacement parts :rolleyes:

Worth it to have a beater bike in the city that you :aintcare: if it gets stolen. My old Cannondale is that for me, which is why I haven't taken it on the trails again. It's only worth maybe $100, but if it breaks it'll cost a lot more than $100 to get a bike I can bomb around the city with, throw against a bike rack, and just not give a damn.
?

I use bike share if I'm farting around the city on 2 wheels. Fuck my shit getting stolen that's for poors.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:47 pm
coogles wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:52 am

?

I use bike share if I'm farting around the city on 2 wheels. Fuck my shit getting stolen that's for poors.
Nice to use if you can. I don't have a bike share that's walkable from my house.
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:52 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:47 pm

?

Nice to use if you can. I don't have a bike share that's walkable from my house.
My MTB would be total drool worthy candy to the typical :mahtroy: looking to jack a bike. Front suspension, disc brakes, TREK name, he could get a few hundo for that and would rather spend the time sawing off it's U-lock than one on some beat ass single speed covered in rust and skateboard stickers. No this is not going to become a city bike. It'll get sold.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Week of the 16th...

Philly area after work mountain bike :dock: ? Anywhere I can rent a bike? In Charlotte we have a trail system with rentals available.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Have a lead on the Orbea, supposed to be meeting the dude tonight.

Holy hell, do bikes depreciate. 2016 model with a $1,699 MSRP, blue book value in perfect condition is $825. :mindblown: Dude offered $750 and I'm totally good with that. He found my ad on the local bicycle swap Facebook page and seems like a real person, so hopefully no shenanigans.

Then I can start shopping for the next whip. :popcorn: But yeah, I will never pay MSRP for a bike. 15% off at minimum before I'll think about pulling the trigger.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:17 am Week of the 16th...

Philly area after work mountain bike :dock: ? Anywhere I can rent a bike? In Charlotte we have a trail system with rentals available.
Cadence in Manayunk (near wiss trailhead):
Large Anthem 27.5" FS, $15/hr or $60/day.
http://www.cadencecycling.com/about/bik ... -pg191.htm

Human Zoom Manayunk (5 min bike ride to trail head):
Large Cannondale Habit FS, $60/day
19.5" Trek Remedy FS, $60/day
L/XL Cannondale Beast of the East hardtail 27.5+ :hubba: for $15/hr or $60/day
http://humanzoom.com/articles/bike-rentals-pg117.htm

Brewerytown Bikes (near my GF's shop, and 5 minute ride to some trails leading into Belmont):
Marin Bobcat 29" hardtail, $40/day
Marin Hawk Hill 27.5" FS, $50/day
https://www.fairmountbicycles.com/

You'd have to call to check avails and to see what sizes Brewerytown has in stock for rental use. All these shops are pretty good. The Manayunk shops are closer to trails, but the Brewerytown one isn't too far to get into Belmont and link to the Wiss. Easier parking in Manayunk than Brewerytown. Cadence has their own parking lot while others don't. But IDK if large will work for you as you're pretty tall. You'd need to call them.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:14 am
D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:17 am Week of the 16th...

Brewerytown Bikes (near my GF's shop, and 5 minute ride to some trails leading into Belmont):

You'd have to call to check avails and to see what sizes Brewerytown has in stock for rental use. All these shops are pretty good. The Manayunk shops are closer to trails, but the Brewerytown one isn't too far to get into Belmont and link to the Wiss. Easier parking in Manayunk than Brewerytown. Cadence has their own parking lot while others don't. But IDK if large will work for you as you're pretty tall. You'd need to call them.
:notbad:

Anyone free to :dock: on the 16th, 17th, 18th, or 19th? I'll actually be staying here: Courtyard by Marriott Philadelphia City Avenue, 4100 Presidential Blvd, Philadelphia, PA 19131, which is right by Manyunk.

:jizz:

I may just :doit: :foreveralone: too if no one is #in.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:44 am
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:14 am

Anyone free to :dock: on the 16th, 17th, 18th, or 19th? I'll actually be staying here: Courtyard by Marriott Philadelphia City Avenue, 4100 Presidential Blvd, Philadelphia, PA 19131, which is right by Manyunk.

I'm free to hoon after work at least. I could take a day off :doe: probably Monday. I have a wedding to go to the weekend of the 14th and need to take Friday off for it as is.
Keep in mind for after work riding.... the Wiss and Belmont are fucking DARK AS HELL around 7PM now. They're not rideable without good lighting after like 6:30 PM.

If you want to pick up the bike without taking the bangbus on an expedition, the bus system is pretty simple for that hotel to the wissahickon transit center. $2.50 each way need exact change. 10 minute bus ride on the #65, only one stop IIRC, that'll get you to Cadence. Bus to Human Zoom you'd get off at same spot and just walk up Main St Manayunk for about a mile. Getting back is the same.

Getting to Brewerytown without a ride would be a lot harder and require transfers. So $3.50 each way, you pay the $2.50 into the machine then hand the driver a $1 and ask for a transfer. He gives you a piece of paper that is good for another bus ride.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:01 am
D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:44 am

I'm free to hoon after work at least. I could take a day off :doe: probably Monday. I have a wedding to go to the weekend of the 14th and need to take Friday off for it as is.
Keep in mind for after work riding.... the Wiss and Belmont are fucking DARK AS HELL around 7PM now. They're not rideable without good lighting after like 6:30 PM.

If you want to pick up the bike without taking the bangbus on an expedition, the bus system is pretty simple for that hotel to the wissahickon transit center. $2.50 each way need exact change. 10 minute bus ride on the #65, only one stop IIRC, that'll get you to Cadence. Bus to Human Zoom you'd get off at same spot and just walk up Main St Manayunk for about a mile. Getting back is the same.

Getting to Brewerytown without a ride would be a lot harder and require transfers. So $3.50 each way, you pay the $2.50 into the machine then hand the driver a $1 and ask for a transfer. He gives you a piece of paper that is good for another bus ride.
Thanks for all of the pro tips. Could also :companycard: a Lyft as well, within reason.

Right now my schedule is looking really light, although I don't think I could :meat: up until later on Monday, like 4 or so.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:08 am
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:01 am

Thanks for all of the pro tips. Could also :companycard: a Lyft as well, within reason.

Right now my schedule is looking really light, although I don't think I could :meat: up until later on Monday, like 4 or so.
Another pro tip. If you venture into Wiss by yourself, note that there aren't any good trail maps available without paying for them. You don't really need it. Google Maps has the layout down pat doe. If you truly get lost, take a trail down the ravine to Forbidden Drive (gravel road) that runs like an artery through the park next to the river. The MTB trails run up and down along the ravine's ridges but are always at a higher elevation than Forbidden Dr. Stuff on the west side of the river on the Yellow Trail (closer to Manayunk) is easier to ride than stuff on the east side on the White Trail.

Valley Green Inn is at the midpoint of Forbidden Drive, basically smack in the middle of the park. They have food, bathrooms, and a water fountain. I wouldn't take the bangbus down there though.

If you go into Belmont.... good luck. Just keep riding until you pop out somewhere. There's a gravel road system that runs through the southern portion of Belmont and most of the trails end up circling back to it eventually. On the north side, the mouse trails are fucking awesome and challenging and basically a one-way that you won't get too lost on. Belmont isn't too big but it does wind around itself a lot and it can be freaky / intimidating by yourself. There are good trail maps available doe.

Mouse trails are from the TOP of the "stone bridge trolley tunnel" running on the Northwest edge of the park boundary down to that soccer field. Your hotel is visible in this map, towards the top to the left of the four buildings that make X's. Blue is gravel road. The techy fun bullshitty stuff is the lower left portion.

I can edit and name the stuff on this map if you want, point out places that are more flowy or less techy bullshit than others, etc.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

Anyone want to ride saturday? I know johnny w is always out and [user not found]'s probably got haus stuff. Apex? Fled?
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:09 pm Anyone want to ride saturday? I know johnny w is always out and [user not found]'s probably got haus stuff. Apex? Fled?
I wanna ride. I gotta see what this rain is doing tonight if I do Six Mile or maybe Mercer?
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Wife and I are planning on six mile I think.
Apex

fledonfoot wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:21 pm Wife and I are planning on six mile I think.
:like:
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

I'm up for wherever. Hopefully six miles isn't as muddy as the last time.
Apex

Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:48 pm I'm up for wherever. Hopefully six miles isn't as muddy as the last time.
It's been bone dry up here for like 2 weeks, even if we get some rain it won't be nearly as muddy as it was.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Apex wrote:
Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:48 pm I'm up for wherever. Hopefully six miles isn't as muddy as the last time.
It's been bone dry up here for like 2 weeks, even if we get some rain it won't be nearly as muddy as it was.
I don't think the rain was bad last night so hopefully it's good.

What time for Saturday?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Apex

Gberg2119 wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:26 pm
Apex wrote:
I don't think the rain was bad last night so hopefully it's good.

What time for Saturday?

Didn't seem bad at all, so Six Mile should be fine.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Apex wrote:
Gberg2119 wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:26 pm I don't think the rain was bad last night so hopefully it's good.

What time for Saturday?

Didn't seem bad at all, so Six Mile should be fine.
What time were you thinking? 10, 11? Fled?

Apex

[user not found] wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:08 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:09 pm Anyone want to ride saturday? I know johnny w is always out and [user not found]'s probably got haus stuff. Apex? Fled?
I’m fucking sick as a dog and I’ve got haus stuff. Double negative.
:(
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Demo day today. Deets to come. :fuckyeah:

coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Oh, and I sold the Orbea today. :fuckyeah: :fuckyeah:

Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:24 pm Demo day today. Deets to come. :fuckyeah:

wat demo