Dem bicicletas, doe

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

Apex wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:56 pm
[user not found] wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:53 pm

:dat:

I love shredding on a bike. Mad fun without any of the potential legal ramifications.
Getting into MTB with ya'll has made me far far less interested in car stuff. Not having to worry at all about the rozzers is a great feeling.
Strangely I agree. I haven't paid any attention to the GoRf since I got the bike. I think I'd rather spend an afternoon doing MTB over autocross.

Track day is a diff story doe. We should do that track night in america next year AND we still need another DFD Meat Up & Drive this year before the weather gets too cold.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:28 pm Strangely I agree. I haven't paid any attention to the GoRf since I got the bike. I think I'd rather spend an afternoon doing MTB over autocross.

Track day is a diff story doe. We should do that track night in america next year AND we still need another DFD Meat Up & Drive this year before the weather gets too cold.
Thought I was going to take to MTBing just the same, but then I ran into trees twice. :lol: Super frustrated with the whole thing right now, trying to sell the Orbea, thinking I'll need to spend even more money to get something I'll be happy with, then just hoping I don't wreck myself again.

Hopefully the shoulder will feel good enough to go to the MTB Epic in Brown County this weekend, and that I don't have to register for the whole thing ($195?? :dafuq: ) just to demo some bikes. I know Giant and Niner will be there, not sure what else.
Last edited by coogles on Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:28 pm
Apex wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:56 pm

Getting into MTB with ya'll has made me far far less interested in car stuff. Not having to worry at all about the rozzers is a great feeling.
Strangely I agree. I haven't paid any attention to the GoRf since I got the bike. I think I'd rather spend an afternoon doing MTB over autocross.

Bike > autocross 5/7 times for sure.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

coogles wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:37 am
Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:28 pm Strangely I agree. I haven't paid any attention to the GoRf since I got the bike. I think I'd rather spend an afternoon doing MTB over autocross.

Thought I was going to take to MTBing just the same, but then I ran into a trees twice. :lol: Super frustrated with the whole thing right now, trying to sell the Orbea, thinking I'll need to spend even more money to get something I'll be happy with, then just hoping I don't wreck myself again.

Hopefully the shoulder will feel good enough to go to the MTB Epic in Brown County this weekend, and that I don't have to register for the whole thing ($195?? :dafuq: ) just to demo some bikes. I know Giant and Niner will be there, not sure what else.
It's more fun when you're not running into shit.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:41 am
Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:28 pm

Bike > autocross 5/7 times for sure.
They don't even compare.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:56 am It's more fun when you're not running into shit.
:dat:
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:56 am

Thought I was going to take to MTBing just the same, but then I ran into a trees twice. :lol: Super frustrated with the whole thing right now, trying to sell the Orbea, thinking I'll need to spend even more money to get something I'll be happy with, then just hoping I don't wreck myself again.

Yea, and that just comes with time on the saddle. Start on easier, more open trails and work up to :stig: on those, then increase difficulty.

And even then, some of the most fun I have are BOMBING "lame" trails. Especially lately since I'm out of shape. Carving a flat twisty section without hitting the brakes is fantastic.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P

Thought I was going to take to MTBing just the same, but then I ran into trees twice. :lol: Super frustrated with the whole thing right now, trying to sell the Orbea, thinking I'll need to spend even more money to get something I'll be happy with, then just hoping I don't wreck myself again.

$195? Wat? That's only for the skills clinic?
Festival Pass $65
Includes Camping, Beer Garden tickets, Live Music, and Sat BBQ. Does not include tech tee or SAG support on the trails.
Just do :dat:, $65 bones gets you into the event, a BBQ lunch, a pint glass with beer tickets, and I guess a camping spot, and all the expo stuff like demos and whatnot and probably raffle tickets.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:25 am $195 to demo bikes? :wat:

I'd also recommend some time at a skills park.
Whoops, it's $125, but yeah it's not just for bike demos, it's for a full 3 day festival. It includes food after the group rides, tickets to the beer garden, live music, some swag (t-shirt, pint glass, etc.), plus it's the main annual fundraiser for trail maintenance in Brown County.

I just don't care about all that crap, I just want to ride some bikes.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:35 am

$195? Wat? That's only for the skills clinic?
Festival Pass $65
Includes Camping, Beer Garden tickets, Live Music, and Sat BBQ. Does not include tech tee or SAG support on the trails.
Just do :dat:, $65 bones gets you into the event, a BBQ lunch, a pint glass with beer tickets, and I guess a camping spot, and all the expo stuff like demos and whatnot and probably raffle tickets.
Yeah hopefully just the festival pass will get me in.
Johnny_P

$65 seems totally reasonable to me, especially since they're a non profit and they're trying to raise money for trail maintenance and upgrades. :iono: :doit:
ChrisoftheNorth

Dang, that sounds 5/7.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

The wife's first ride on the Liv ended with a hard crash that fucked up her car accident wrist again. She's stuck with it and made some great improvements this year despite the nerve damage in her left wrist. She's also really got into the sport as a fan and watches bike stuff a lot in her downtime. It's kind of awesome to come home and find her watching MTB stuff on youtube on the TV.

We rode with Zlillon on sunday evening @ Core. There's a super steep downhill bit around a tree that's maybe a 30ft drop in vertical at a 20% grade. She was supper bummed out and mad at herself on the drive home for not trying it and chickening out at the top.

I really want to get her into a skills camp, but she's just so weird about riding with other people. She talks about doing the Liv/LadiesAllRide events. I think I'm gonna look to sign her up for one and schedule a weekend trip around it if they're anywhere within a few hundred miles next year.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:56 am

Eh, I don't mind running into shit sometimes. As long as it's not terribly painful. :lol:
Johnny_P

fledonfoot wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:40 am

The wife's first ride on the Liv ended with a hard crash that fucked up her car accident wrist again. She's stuck with it and made some great improvements this year despite the nerve damage in her left wrist. She's also really got into the sport as a fan and watches bike stuff a lot in her downtime. It's kind of awesome to come home and find her watching MTB stuff on youtube on the TV.

We rode with Zlillon on sunday evening @ Core. There's a super steep downhill bit around a tree that's maybe a 30ft drop in vertical at a 20% grade. She was supper bummed out and mad at herself on the drive home for not trying it and chickening out at the top.

I really want to get her into a skills camp, but she's just so weird about riding with other people. She talks about doing the Liv/LadiesAllRide events. I think I'm gonna look to sign her up for one and schedule a weekend trip around it if they're anywhere within a few hundred miles next year.
Eh, I chicken out on shit too, and I've been riding since middle school :lol:
Does she have Strava? That can be a good motivation tool to try and ride something you couldn't. Beating your previous best time because you cleared an obstacle is a huge ego booster.

Does she usually ride in front or behind? If behind, call out lines or stuff to her. If she rides in front of you, you can help point out where she can improve over something or let her know if she did a good job clearing something.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:14 pm
fledonfoot wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:40 am

Does she have Strava? That can be a good motivation tool to try and ride something you couldn't. Beating your previous best time because you cleared an obstacle is a huge ego booster.

Does she usually ride in front or behind? If behind, call out lines or stuff to her. If she rides in front of you, you can help point out where she can improve over something or let her know if she did a good job clearing something.
So we alternate a little. Sometimes I'll ride behind her and throw out the motivation, and sometimes she'll follow our lines.

Every ride gets GoPro'd. She watches every ride in full when she's done and makes little 3-5 minute videos from each ride. Whenever I ride behind her, I mount the camera on my bars so it varies up the footage. She also has strava, and I make it a point to show her where she relates to other women as well as men.

She "just" needs to get more confidence with speed. She's at the point still where it's not quite there so she loses momentum on elevation changes quickly, or on the rooty/rocky sections. If she could carry just a hair more speed she'd end up being a little smoother with the momentum.
Apex

fledonfoot wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:50 pm

So we alternate a little. Sometimes I'll ride behind her and throw out the motivation, and sometimes she'll follow our lines.

Every ride gets GoPro'd. She watches every ride in full when she's done and makes little 3-5 minute videos from each ride. Whenever I ride behind her, I mount the camera on my bars so it varies up the footage. She also has strava, and I make it a point to show her where she relates to other women as well as men.

She "just" needs to get more confidence with speed. She's at the point still where it's not quite there so she loses momentum on elevation changes quickly, or on the rooty/rocky sections. If she could carry just a hair more speed she'd end up being a little smoother with the momentum.
I'm noticing how huge of a difference this can make.
Johnny_P

The speed thing is hard to understand for a lot of riders. Speed = stability and the bike esp full suspension will soak it up.
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin

Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:45 pm Yeah it's got a kick stand... :dealwithit:

Don't let all these guys drag you down man. It's like bringing a Ford Fairmont to Cars & Coffee.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Oh wow, even cheaper than the Fathom. :notbad:

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bike ... ode=orange

Come on Orbea, sell already.
Apex

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:34 pm

The speed thing is hard to understand for a lot of riders. Speed = stability and the bike esp full suspension will soak it up.
Just have to let the bike do it's thing. I keep trying to tell myself this as I'm riding.
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:59 pm Oh wow, even cheaper than the Fathom. :notbad:

I don't understand why RS brought back the Judy name. It was a shit fork when it came out way back when.

Also 27.5+ on a hardtail sounds lol worthy. I'd give it a whirl.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:56 pm
coogles wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:59 pm Oh wow, even cheaper than the Fathom. :notbad:

I don't understand why RS brought back the Judy name. It was a shit fork when it came out way back when.

My first bike mod ever was a Judy TT 80mm back in the day, from pricepoint (RIP) circa 1998. Went on my Walmart Next hardtail that I stripped and repainted.
Johnny_P

fledonfoot wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:28 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:56 pm

My first bike mod ever was a Judy TT 80mm back in the day, from pricepoint (RIP) circa 1998. Went on my Walmart Next hardtail that I stripped and repainted.
I had a Judy TT as an upgrade to my Indy C fork which was a useless POS. But that Judy fork wasn't very compliant, wasn't very stiff, and wasn't very good overall. The next bike I got had a Cannondale Headshok which was alright I guess but didn't have enough travel. Next bike had a lefty which was fucking awesome.
Johnny_P

Anyone want a cheap dropper post? Internal routing. Only $100 which is not bad.

https://southjersey.craigslist.org/bop/ ... 30037.html