Griff :plac: on nears full mast... Cayman review and other musings

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

As some of you may have noticed, I've been eyeing/thinking about changing up the sheet metal. I think I'd like to stay in a somewhat focused sports car, because at this stage of life, I can. This will be my DD/only car, but because of my road job, I really only use my car on the weekends. In a lot of ways, it's tough to really "upgrade" from the C5 from a driving/performance standpoint, it is faster and has more grip than most things, and I'd like to stay in that realm. However, I would prefer something a bit more compliant and nicer that doesn't scrape everywhere. After tracking the Elise SC 220, I really fell in love with the feel and dynamics of the car, so I've somewhat landed on the Cayman as a much less terrible to live with version of that. More on other cars I'm thinking about in a later post, but for now, I'll review the Cayman as I took the ultimate test drive this weekend.

For my gf's 30th birthday, I got her a trip to Las Vegas, she'd never been. I was already in the area for work, so she met me and we saw the sights and took a day trip to Zion. I took the opportunity to rent a 2007 Cayman S on Turo. This was a 5/7 experience. I paid $235 for three days in the car and we drove it about 450 miles. I think this is stupid cheap and told the dudebro he should start charging more. The car was in 3/7 condition with 109k miles and a few issues but it still gave me a great opportunity to try the car out in a lot of different environments. Prior to Allison arriving, I was able to take the car to Nevada 158 by Mount Charleston to hoon for a few hours. We also spent six hours road tripping to and from Zion from Las Vegas.

So, the review:

The drive:

Power is 4/7. It's definitely fun, it feels about as quick as the C5. I'm not sure if the non S will feel a bit underpowered, I'd like to try one out as well. Delivery is... OK, not really what I expected. It feels pretty torquey and has good powah at 2K plus which is nice, it felt a little bit underwhelming in the upper revs. It's fun to wind it up to 7500, but the Corvette is more exciting at 4k plus, which was a bit surprising given they're known as torque monsters and I think of Porsches as a bit more high strung. All in all though, the power is solid and acceleration is strong. I took it up to about 100 a few times, but his tires weren't balanced all that well, so it got a little sketchy above that, but was still pulling well.

The transmission was somewhat of a love hate, mostly leaning towards love. The clutch feel is great and I was great with it immediately, unlike some cars where it takes some time to get used to the action. The gearing is much shorter than my car, which I love. Short gearing is just the best. The gripe is the shifter feel, it kind of blows, worse than a C5 which is known as being terrible. I guess this is just a mid engine thing.

The handling is great. Steering feels good to me, although I missed the small steering wheel I have in my car. What can I really write about the handling of a Porsche Cayman? It's obviously impressive.

The other stuff:

I love the looks, especially this one in dark green with the deep dish black wheels and carbon fiber spoiler.

The interior is pretty nice. This car was a bit worn, but still quite comfy on our road trip. The seats aren't Focus ST Recarbro level, but they hold you in better than most and feel good. It's not a quiet car, but much better than the C5 as far as road noise. Hearing the engine right behind you is neat but unobtrusive. It's narrower than the C5 which I like, but still spacious enough inside and utility is pretty solid with the hatch and frunk.

The sound is great, just not BROla/Ellis great.

The owner was really cool and we chatted about the car a lot. He said it's been perfectly reliable, despite clearly being a "run hard and put away wet" type car. It also felt great running hard, not the "made of glass" feeling I've gotten driving older BMWs.

That was a long post... any other questions about the car, let me know. Overall I really enjoyed it and am thinking hard about considering further. For even more :popcorn: , I signed up for a track day in the :poorvette: on 3/3, so we'll see how that impacts my opinion :wasteful: .
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

My solo hoonage sesh by Mount Charleston. This was an amazing road with no one around, and beautiful scenery to boot. I Ran up and down enough times to learn it a bit and push the car pretty hard. Even with temps around 40F, the thing really felt amazing and doesn't let go.

Me after our Angels Landing hike:

Allison drove it about 100 miles. Her review was "I don't prefer a manual but it looks cool and I like that it doesn't scrape on everything" :tits:
Last edited by D Griff on Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Oh, and it doesn't scrape on everything!
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

:plac: :fuckyeah:

I still want a Porsche. Dunno if it'll ever happen. I think it's worth going 09-12 base over the 06-08 S cars :doe:
troyguitar

D Griff wrote:Oh, and it doesn't scrape on everything!
It's hilarious how nice it is to be able to drive a car like it's a car. I still love that about my non- :poorvette: rides.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:31 pm :plac: :fuckyeah:

I still want a Porsche. Dunno if it'll ever happen. I think it's worth going 09-12 base over the 06-08 S cars :doe:
That's where I'm leaning I think, this car was pretty powerful, I think a tad less would be fine. Are those six speeds? I know the 987.1 base is five speed which is a bit :flaccid:

If I get one and you end up in NC, you can drive it.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

I didn't read more then "it doesn't scrape on.." and I'm very :fuckyeah: right MEOW

BRB
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:34 pm
D Griff wrote:Oh, and it doesn't scrape on everything!
It's hilarious how nice it is to be able to drive a car like it's a car. I still love that about my non- :poorvette: rides.
Even once I knew it wouldn't scrape, I found myself cringing before every angle... :poorvette: :yeahok:
troyguitar

2009 got rid of both the 5 speed options (the slushbox and old school manuel). 6MT/7PDK from 09 to present.
troyguitar

D Griff wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:34 pm It's hilarious how nice it is to be able to drive a car like it's a car. I still love that about my non- :poorvette: rides.
Even once I knew it wouldn't scrape, I found myself cringing before every angle... :poorvette: :yeahok:
Been there, I still cringe in a few places for no reason. It's :poorvette: PTSD.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:37 pm 2009 got rid of both the 5 speed options (the slushbox and old school manuel). 6MT/7PDK from 09 to present.
I'm assuming it's the same gearing/transmission then? The shorter gearing is :jimp:
troyguitar

D Griff wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:37 pm 2009 got rid of both the 5 speed options (the slushbox and old school manuel). 6MT/7PDK from 09 to present.
I'm assuming it's the same gearing/transmission then? The shorter gearing is :jimp:
Honestly :notsure: what you mean - no modern Porsche has short gearing. Shorter than your car, but not short at all. They all do 70+ in 2nd.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:41 pm
D Griff wrote:
Honestly :notsure: what you mean - no modern Porsche has short gearing. Shorter than your car, but not short at all. They all do 70+ in 2nd.
Not :stig: short but compared to what I'm used to it felt great. I think the gearing is "right" for a balance of fun/usability.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

I wish you could drive a newer 370z ...
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:05 am I wish you could drive a newer 370z ...
I'm definitely planning on it. Hopefully a similar Turo thing where I can have it for at least a day. I've only driven a 350Z, which I actually really liked.

I'm all over the map with other stuff I want to drive:

Mustang Ecoboost
Mustang GT
370Z
FRZ86
ND Miata

:iono: what else really fits the bill.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

:fuckyeah: review, Tokyo.
I want an 09+ base 6M. Maybe if I win the lotto I never play.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

wap wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:09 am :fuckyeah: review, Tokyo.
I want an 09+ base 6M. Maybe if I win the lotto I never play.
I mean, they're the same price as a new :turboyaris: :iono: :doit: :troywax:
troyguitar

D Griff wrote:
I'm definitely planning on it. Hopefully a similar Turo thing where I can have it for at least a day. I've only driven a 350Z, which I actually really liked.

Mustang Ecoboost
Mustang GT
370Z
FRZ86
ND Miata

2019 Ranger.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I'd possibly go either transmission only because i have a later gen DSG programmed to the R/S3 so I know that the PDK will be bonkers.... especially if it sells for cheaper. Dollar for dollhair I'd get the +09 Blue base. Those come out to nearly double a :poorvette: and that's where status update = "It's complicated", not sure its worth upgrading at that point
Last edited by Tar on Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote:

Mustang Ecoboost
Mustang GT
370Z
FRZ86
ND Miata

:doit:

:fuckyeah: update!
troyguitar

Tarspin wrote:I'd possibly go either transmission only because i have a later gen DSG programmed to the R/S3 so I know that the PDK will be bonkers.... especially if it sells for cheaper. Dollar for dollhair I'd get the +09 Miami Blue base. Those come out to nearly double the :poorvette: and that's where status update = "It's complicated"
You are into verts :doe:

09+ boxster is $10k or so cheaper than the Cayman. Especially if you are OK with :gay: trannies.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote:
Tarspin wrote:I'd possibly go either transmission only because i have a later gen DSG programmed to the R/S3 so I know that the PDK will be bonkers.... especially if it sells for cheaper. Dollar for dollhair I'd get the +09 Miami Blue base. Those come out to nearly double the :poorvette: and that's where status update = "It's complicated"

09+ boxster is $10k or so cheaper than the Cayman. Especially if you are OK with :gay: trannies.
Gay tranny vert is where I draw the line doe.

Options I'm okay with:
1. PDK Gayman in :gay: blue
2. Boxer :manuel: any color even grey if really cheap
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:29 am

I think he actually got the C6 'vert because of :scrooge: more than actual 'vert desires. It still might fit the bill :doe: .
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:29 am You are into verts :doe:

I think he actually got the C6 'vert because of :scrooge: more than actual 'vert desires. It still might fit the bill :doe: .
Dude, I didn't love the vert or red but it had a :manuel: , black interior and roof so I can make it look better with non-chrome ramz and in amazing shape driven by a Barbara for 18.5k.

Still pretty :fuckyeah: especially since I havent seen a price drop nationally after 2 yrs of ownership. It's a tough car to :plac: because it can easily scare the shit out of me and makes wicked noises.Image
troyguitar

Tarspin wrote:
troyguitar wrote:You are into verts :doe:

Gay tranny vert is where I draw the line doe.

Options I'm okay with:
1. PDK Gayman in :gay: blue
2. Boxer :manuel: any color even grey if really cheap
Boxsters are cheap, like sub-$20k for an 09. If I could :dealwithit: I'd own one.