Griff :plac: on nears full mast... Cayman review and other musings

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:28 am
Apex wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:13 am

Like engagement rings.
:dat:
:iswydt:
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

D Griff wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:22 am I'm kind of getting cold feet on the whole car change thing :scrooge:
Any moar test drives this weekend?
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Big Brain Bradley wrote:
Apex wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:13 am Like :truk: :jeep: :minivan: :baby:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

I really like my :poorvette: , it would be hard to :plac: it knowing that the it has the holy grail of engines shoehorned into 911s/rx7s/etc, etc to turn them into fire breathing monsters. Mine needs better seats doe. Maybe a choice upgrade to make the car a little more endearing? Seal up the diff? New gearzzz?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Johnny_P wrote:
D Griff wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:22 am I'm kind of getting cold feet on the whole car change thing :scrooge:
Any moar test drives this weekend?
Not yet... Everything is really damn busy through March, I think I'll have a 370Z from Turo at some point though.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Like engagement rings.
:iswydt:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

troyguitar wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:55 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote:
:hue:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Like engagement rings.
:micdrop:
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Tarspin wrote:I really like my :poorvette: , it would be hard to :plac: it knowing that the it has the holy grail of engines shoehorned into 911s/rx7s/etc, etc to turn them into fire breathing monsters. Mine needs better seats doe. Maybe a choice upgrade to make the car a little more endearing? Seal up the diff? New gearzzz?
Gearzzz and seats would be neat for sure. I think gearing would pretty much bring it to as fun as the Cayman. It would still scrape on everything which is really the one thing I just hate about it.

You're right (and Detroit), it's just cheaper to keep her. Any other thing that would be as fun or more is twice the price. It would be more livable, but way more money, more stress, etc.
troyguitar

I strongly considered trimming the front air dams on my :poorvette:

Taking an inch or so off the bottom would eliminate most scraping and not really affect anything at double digit speeds.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

I like when i scrape on a 4" driveway ramp and multiple people stop to look at whats happening.... because Racekar!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:18 pm I strongly considered trimming the front air dams on my :poorvette:

Taking an inch or so off the bottom would eliminate most scraping and not really affect anything at double digit speeds.
:notbad: but even those little metal pieces that stick down scrape a ton. :rolleyes: I just need to really stop giving a shit.
troyguitar

D Griff wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:15 pm
troyguitar wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:18 pm I strongly considered trimming the front air dams on my :poorvette:

:notbad: but even those little metal pieces that stick down scrape a ton. :rolleyes: I just need to really stop giving a shit.
Those are quite a bit higher, they do scrape but not nearly as often. I bet you'd see an 80% reduction in scraping by trimming the plastic pieces and never be able to tell the difference in aero drag/lift/whatever. It was on my list to do last year before I gave up and sold the car. Hell you could probably do the 2 side pieces with a pair of tin snips with the car up on ramps, no need to even uninstall them. The center piece might require a saw of some sort :doe: since IIRC it's thicker plastic.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:54 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:15 pm

Those are quite a bit higher, they do scrape but not nearly as often. I bet you'd see an 80% reduction in scraping by trimming the plastic pieces and never be able to tell the difference in aero drag/lift/whatever. It was on my list to do last year before I gave up and sold the car. Hell you could probably do the 2 side pieces with a pair of tin snips with the car up on ramps, no need to even uninstall them. The center piece might require a saw of some sort :doe: since IIRC it's thicker plastic.
:lolgasm: the side strips are pushing up against my ramps when the car is on them. I am afraid it would look like :poop: , I'm not really good with my hands like that :hue:
troyguitar

Looks? :whocares:

You have to put your head on the ground to see those things anyway. Some people actually take them off entirely to reduce scraping, which I guess is an option too. They're only held on by a few screws IIRC.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:37 am Looks? :whocares:

You have to put your head on the ground to see those things anyway. Some people actually take them off entirely to reduce scraping, which I guess is an option too. They're only held on by a few screws IIRC.
Yeah, it would be easy to remove... my car tends to get hot quick, my AC condenser (?the part that looks like a radiator) is a little bowed, so I think the air flow is slightly worse.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Tarspin wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:02 am I really like my :poorvette: , it would be hard to :plac: it knowing that the it has the holy grail of engines shoehorned into 911s/rx7s/etc, etc to turn them into fire breathing monsters. Mine needs better seats doe. Maybe a choice upgrade to make the car a little more endearing? Seal up the diff? New gearzzz?
Seats and the scrape are the two :flaccid: of the car. I don't know what the best solution is but I would like to get some different seats.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:32 pm
Tarspin wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:02 am I really like my :poorvette: , it would be hard to :plac: it knowing that the it has the holy grail of engines shoehorned into 911s/rx7s/etc, etc to turn them into fire breathing monsters. Mine needs better seats doe. Maybe a choice upgrade to make the car a little more endearing? Seal up the diff? New gearzzz?
Seats and the scrape are the two :flaccid: of the car. I don't know what the best solution is but I would like to get some different seats.
:butwhy: not like you need to be held in place while racing on the Streets of Willows. The car is designed with the current occupant in mind, who occasionally takes it to the coast while leaving the surface of Mercury temps for those too poor to leave to enjoy.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:35 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:32 pm

:butwhy: not like you need to be held in place while racing on the Streets of Willows. The car is designed with the current occupant in mind, who occasionally takes it to the coast while leaving the surface of Mercury temps for those too poor to leave to enjoy.
Not one piece race buckets......agreed I don't need those. Just BETTER, sturdier. The OEMs, as has been chronicled far and wide, are just flimsy and cheap feeling.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:41 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:35 pm

Not one piece race buckets......agreed I don't need those. Just BETTER, sturdier. The OEMs, as has been chronicled far and wide, are just flimsy and cheap feeling.
Breh you’re in a C6 corvette.... it just goes with the territory besides don’t you have side airbags to deal with?
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:49 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:41 pm

Breh you’re in a C6 corvette.... it just goes with the territory besides don’t you have side airbags to deal with?
Probably.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

There's new Recaros designed to fit in C5/6's. They're :waxer: but would probably be 5/7.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:29 pm There's new Recaros designed to fit in C5/6's. They're :waxer: but would probably be 5/7.
Will look. Actual Protip vs. " :poorvette: :doomed:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:33 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:29 pm There's new Recaros designed to fit in C5/6's. They're :waxer: but would probably be 5/7.
Will look. Actual Protip vs. " :poorvette: :doomed:
Unlike everyone else, I actually really like my car and plan to hold onto it for the long term. As such, I like keeping an eye out on new products and ways to improve on it.

Recaro Speed V was designed with the C5/6 in mind. Looks pretty :impressive: , just :waxer: I too want to replace my seats, just not sure I want to spend THAT much on replacements.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.