Griff :plac: on nears full mast... Cayman review and other musings

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Detroit wrote:
Tarspin wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:55 am Ahh got it. No PDK, no care then.

The crutch with the audis are probably depreciation. Maybe not the TTRS because not many available.
Yea, but find one that's well depreciated, and maybe it's a decent buy?
I'd cross shop it to a Cayman if the price is the same. :iono:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Tarspin wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:02 pm
Detroit wrote: Yea, but find one that's well depreciated, and maybe it's a decent buy?
I'd cross shop it to a Cayman if the price is the same. :iono:
Nah, the Cayman will hold it's value better. a TT would have to be quite a bit less...even an RS.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote:
Tarspin wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:02 pm I'd cross shop it to a Cayman if the price is the same. :iono:
Nah, the Cayman will hold it's value better. a TT would have to be quite a bit less...even an RS.
Maybe but Toyko Drift will likely NEVER step into a Porch dillershit to get his maintenance binder stamped. So that resale is gonna be :doomed: anyways.
ChrisoftheNorth

Tarspin wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:12 pm
Detroit wrote: Nah, the Cayman will hold it's value better. a TT would have to be quite a bit less...even an RS.
Maybe but Toyko Drift will likely NEVER step into a Porch dillershit to get his maintenance binder stamped. So that resale is gonna be :doomed: anyways.
Nah. My experience with selling a Poorshhaaa was wrong. This is DFD after all. He can do walmart oil changes at 15k intervals with zero impact to resale.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

beware: PDK on the p-cars is alot more involved to have the 'clutch fluid' changed than it is on a :mk6:
brain go brrrrrr
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote:
Tarspin wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:12 pm Maybe but Toyko Drift will likely NEVER step into a Porch dillershit to get his maintenance binder stamped. So that resale is gonna be :doomed: anyways.
Nah. My experience with selling a Poorshhaaa was wrong. This is DFD after all. He can do walmart oil changes at 15k intervals with zero impact to resale.
Oh okay well that clears things up. Whew!
ChrisoftheNorth

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:17 pm beware: PDK on the p-cars is alot more involved to have the 'clutch fluid' changed than it is on a :mk6:
:wrong:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Detroit wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:20 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:17 pm beware: PDK on the p-cars is alot more involved to have the 'clutch fluid' changed than it is on a :mk6:
WELCOME TO DFD
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:23 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:20 pm
WELCOME TO DFD
You're catching on.

Everyone knows all you need to change the PDK fluid is 4 quarts of Valvoline ATF and a quart of Lucas from Walmart. Drive the bitch up on some 2x4's, 18mm socket on drain plug, same on fill and you're done. 10 minutes tops. Don't get raped by :dillerman: :crang: style.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

I'd skip the TTS and probably the TTRS. Just get a Golf R if you want that, it'll drive similar while costing less to buy and upkeep.

A PORCH without documented services at an indy or Pcar dealer will be hell to sell later on. Especially an IMS Cayman. Non IMS might get a pass because they're far more reliable motors overall.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:33 pm I'd skip the TTS and probably the TTRS. Just get a Golf R if you want that, it'll drive similar while costing less to buy and upkeep.

A PORCH without documented services at an indy or Pcar dealer will be hell to sell later on. Especially an IMS Cayman. Non IMS might get a pass because they're far more reliable motors overall.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:35 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:33 pm I'd skip the TTS and probably the TTRS. Just get a Golf R if you want that, it'll drive similar while costing less to buy and upkeep.

Why is your experience valid and not mine? Zero 986S's that I looked at had :dillerman: service records. Zero out of 30+ cars.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

troyguitar wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:39 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:35 pm
Why is your experience valid and not mine? Zero 986S's that I looked at had :dillerman: service records. Zero out of 30+ cars.
Anything past 50k miles and orginal owners doesn't seem to have shit. Almost every Gayman I looked at pre 09 is outside the first owner.
troyguitar

max225 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:54 pm
troyguitar wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:39 pm

Anything past 50k miles and orginal owners doesn't seem to have shit. Almost every Gayman I looked at pre 09 is outside the first owner.
:dat: is what I have seen. Anything in a non- :waxer: DFD member's price range and interests is going to already have no :dillerman: records so the money you save up front will cancel out the money you "lose" when you sell.
max225

troyguitar wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:00 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:54 pm

:dat: is what I have seen. Anything in a non- :waxer: DFD member's price range and interests is going to already have no :dillerman: records so the money you save up front will cancel out the money you "lose" when you sell.
I test drove a 8000 mile 2006 Gayman S at the Porch :dillerman: I didn't pull the trigger because it was 37k + they didn't want to budge.... I also read that there is an issue with not driving it. Comparable PP units with 20-30k more miles were 25-29k at the time... that was too much of a delta to swallow.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

D Griff wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:09 am
Tarspin wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:34 am https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/deta ... /overview/

Not sure if this is in the price range but it would be on my :plac: radar
A better Corvette would make the most sense really... it just doesn't satiate the :plac: as well.
get a c7
max225

D Griff wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:24 pm As some of you may have noticed, I've been eyeing/thinking about changing up the sheet metal. I think I'd like to stay in a somewhat focused sports car, because at this stage of life, I can. This will be my DD/only car, but because of my road job, I really only use my car on the weekends. In a lot of ways, it's tough to really "upgrade" from the C5 from a driving/performance standpoint, it is faster and has more grip than most things, and I'd like to stay in that realm. However, I would prefer something a bit more compliant and nicer that doesn't scrape everywhere. After tracking the Elise SC 220, I really fell in love with the feel and dynamics of the car, so I've somewhat landed on the Cayman as a much less terrible to live with version of that. More on other cars I'm thinking about in a later post, but for now, I'll review the Cayman as I took the ultimate test drive this weekend.

For my gf's 30th birthday, I got her a trip to Las Vegas, she'd never been. I was already in the area for work, so she met me and we saw the sights and took a day trip to Zion. I took the opportunity to rent a 2007 Cayman S on Turo. This was a 5/7 experience. I paid $235 for three days in the car and we drove it about 450 miles. I think this is stupid cheap and told the dudebro he should start charging more. The car was in 3/7 condition with 109k miles and a few issues but it still gave me a great opportunity to try the car out in a lot of different environments. Prior to Allison arriving, I was able to take the car to Nevada 158 by Mount Charleston to hoon for a few hours. We also spent six hours road tripping to and from Zion from Las Vegas.

So, the review:

The drive:

Power is 4/7. It's definitely fun, it feels about as quick as the C5. I'm not sure if the non S will feel a bit underpowered, I'd like to try one out as well. Delivery is... OK, not really what I expected. It feels pretty torquey and has good powah at 2K plus which is nice, it felt a little bit underwhelming in the upper revs. It's fun to wind it up to 7500, but the Corvette is more exciting at 4k plus, which was a bit surprising given they're known as torque monsters and I think of Porsches as a bit more high strung. All in all though, the power is solid and acceleration is strong. I took it up to about 100 a few times, but his tires weren't balanced all that well, so it got a little sketchy above that, but was still pulling well.

The transmission was somewhat of a love hate, mostly leaning towards love. The clutch feel is great and I was great with it immediately, unlike some cars where it takes some time to get used to the action. The gearing is much shorter than my car, which I love. Short gearing is just the best. The gripe is the shifter feel, it kind of blows, worse than a C5 which is known as being terrible. I guess this is just a mid engine thing.

The handling is great. Steering feels good to me, although I missed the small steering wheel I have in my car. What can I really write about the handling of a Porsche Cayman? It's obviously impressive.

The other stuff:

I love the looks, especially this one in dark green with the deep dish black wheels and carbon fiber spoiler.

The interior is pretty nice. This car was a bit worn, but still quite comfy on our road trip. The seats aren't Focus ST Recarbro level, but they hold you in better than most and feel good. It's not a quiet car, but much better than the C5 as far as road noise. Hearing the engine right behind you is neat but unobtrusive. It's narrower than the C5 which I like, but still spacious enough inside and utility is pretty solid with the hatch and frunk.

The sound is great, just not BROla/Ellis great.

The owner was really cool and we chatted about the car a lot. He said it's been perfectly reliable, despite clearly being a "run hard and put away wet" type car. It also felt great running hard, not the "made of glass" feeling I've gotten driving older BMWs.

That was a long post... any other questions about the car, let me know. Overall I really enjoyed it and am thinking hard about considering further. For even more :popcorn: , I signed up for a track day in the :poorvette: on 3/3, so we'll see how that impacts my opinion :wasteful: .
Very similar to my experience.
On the pros,
Better interior
Very usable inside
Decent power
Great handling

On the downside
Meh power (which is why I was super hesitant on the non S)
Meh shifter

What are those :ramz: and tires on that thing?
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

D Griff wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:30 pm Oh, and it doesn't scrape on everything!
One of the first times I pulled the E30 out of the garage, that was my first reaction.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:27 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:23 pm

WELCOME TO DFD
You're catching on.

Everyone knows all you need to change the PDK fluid is 4 quarts of Valvoline ATF and a quart of Lucas from Walmart. Drive the bitch up on some 2x4's, 18mm socket on drain plug, same on fill and you're done. 10 minutes tops. Don't get raped by :dillerman: :crang: style.
i must have missed this? clearly order the right fluids. install gravity defying fluid at home on 2x4s. profit?
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225

Been talking about this for a bit... the Issue with the Cockster is that it will depreciate like a rock until it hits 4 figures like the 1st/2nd gen models
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

max225 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:33 pm Been talking about this for a bit... the Issue with the Cockster is that it will depreciate like a rock until it hits 4 figures like the 1st/2nd gen models
:whocares:
brain go brrrrrr
troyguitar

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:38 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:33 pm Been talking about this for a bit... the Issue with the Cockster is that it will depreciate like a rock until it hits 4 figures like the 1st/2nd gen models
:dat:

It's worth it for that glorious wind in your hair!
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:39 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:38 pm

:dat:

It's worth it for that glorious wind in your hair!
what hair? :neek: