Griff :plac: on nears full mast... Cayman review and other musings

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Tarspin wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:39 am
D Griff wrote:
I think he actually got the C6 'vert because of :scrooge: more than actual 'vert desires. It still might fit the bill :doe: .
Dude, I didn't love the vert or red but it had a :manuel: , black interior and roof so I can make it look better with non-chrome ramz and in amazing shape driven by a Barbara for 18.5k.

Still pretty :fuckyeah: especially since I havent seen a price drop nationally after 2 yrs of ownership. It's a tough car to :plac: because it can easily scare the shit out of me and makes wicked noises.Image
You really did it right, IMO. :poorvette: ++ for :porrvette: price. The 'vert could be fun too I think, and you've managed to make it look good, normally I think they're a lot uglier but the black roof on red with black wheels looks good.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

D Griff wrote:
Tarspin wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:39 am Dude, I didn't love the vert or red but it had a :manuel: , black interior and roof so I can make it look better with non-chrome ramz and in amazing shape driven by a Barbara for 18.5k.

Still pretty :fuckyeah: especially since I havent seen a price drop nationally after 2 yrs of ownership. It's a tough car to :plac: because it can easily scare the shit out of me and makes wicked noises.Image
You really did it right, IMO. :poorvette: ++ for :porrvette: price. The 'vert could be fun too I think, and you've managed to make it look good, normally I think they're a lot uglier but the black roof on red with black wheels looks good.
To the average :pleb: or child it is a very exotic looking racekar!
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

:
Last edited by Tar on Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote:
D Griff wrote: I'm definitely planning on it. Hopefully a similar Turo thing where I can have it for at least a day. I've only driven a 350Z, which I actually really liked.

I'm all over the map with other stuff I want to drive:

Mustang Ecoboost
Mustang GT
370Z
FRZ86
ND Miata

:iono: what else really fits the bill.
2019 Ranger.
Dat and :jeep: because :tits:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/deta ... /overview/

Not sure if this is in the price range but it would be on my :plac: radar
Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

Wow. I need to be trained to write as well as you do. Fab report + pics. Well done man!! I love driving in and around the larger Vegas area. Great place to be a car guy.
You need to keep that lady in your life. She has a great happy look and can deal with your car life/interest. You need to see how lucky you are. I have the same. Life's good! So keep it that way. I hope you get that P-car. Really really well done man!

:like: :like: :like:
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Interested for more reviews and comparisons on your :plac: journey :popcorn:

I agree with pretty much everything you wrote.
You can get a smaller wheel for them if you really want. The alcantara one from the Cayman R is pretty tiny, but also has a tiny rim so take that for what it's worth.
Shifter feel is pretty awful on these. Cable actuated and it feels like it.
There aren't really any meaningful power increase mods you can do to these motors. You'll spend an assload and get minimal returns.
Overall a more streetable car than the Elise

09+ base would be awesome! The drop top Boxsters are cheaper too so keep that in mind.
dtraill27
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 Mazda 6

I'd cross the mustang ecoboost off your list. Great cruiser but I was underwhelmed with mine
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

5/7 review
brain go brrrrrr
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Davestr wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:49 am Wow. I need to be trained to write as well as you do. Fab report + pics. Well done man!! I love driving in and around the larger Vegas area. Great place to be a car guy.
You need to keep that lady in your life. She has a great happy look and can deal with your car life/interest. You need to see how lucky you are. I have the same. Life's good! So keep it that way. I hope you get that P-car. Really really well done man!

:like: :like: :like:
Thanks man! :wub:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Tarspin wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:34 am https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/deta ... /overview/

Not sure if this is in the price range but it would be on my :plac: radar
A better Corvette would make the most sense really... it just doesn't satiate the :plac: as well.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

dtraill27 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:35 am I'd cross the mustang ecoboost off your list. Great cruiser but I was underwhelmed with mine
:word:

I don't really think it will hang with the other stuff I'm thinking about, but I've always loved Mustangs and figured it was at least worth a test drive. :dillerman:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:20 am Interested for more reviews and comparisons on your :plac: journey :popcorn:

You can get a smaller wheel for them if you really want. The alcantara one from the Cayman R is pretty tiny, but also has a tiny rim so take that for what it's worth.
There aren't really any meaningful power increase mods you can do to these motors. You'll spend an assload and get minimal returns.

09+ base would be awesome! The drop top Boxsters are cheaper too so keep that in mind.
I don't think a Boxster would really work as I need bike transport and the hatch of the Cayman adds a nice bit of extra practicality. Hopefully Caymans continue holding their value, it appears Boxsters depreciate all the way to near zero over time.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

D Griff wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:11 am
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:20 am Interested for more reviews and comparisons on your :plac: journey :popcorn:

I don't think a Boxster would really work as I need bike transport and the hatch of the Cayman adds a nice bit of extra practicality. Hopefully Caymans continue holding their value, it appears Boxsters depreciate all the way to near zero over time.
Yeah you get roof mount points with the Cayman that the Boxster can't offer.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:14 am
D Griff wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:11 am

Yeah you get roof mount points with the Cayman that the Boxster can't offer.
I prefer the hitch style but I don't think that's possible with the center exhaust. At least a roof rack will look cool.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote:
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:14 am Yeah you get roof mount points with the Cayman that the Boxster can't offer.
I prefer the hitch style but I don't think that's possible with the center exhaust. At least a roof rack will look cool.
A Cayman with a roof rack would look great. As a single car owner the solid roof/hatch combo is a great choice.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I didnt find many 09 Boxster or Cayman base for cheap on this end. Both are around 30k and up. The low priced spec must be base 2008 and older.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

D Griff wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:08 am
max225 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:05 am I wish you could drive a newer 370z ...
I'm definitely planning on it. Hopefully a similar Turo thing where I can have it for at least a day. I've only driven a 350Z, which I actually really liked.

I'm all over the map with other stuff I want to drive:

Mustang Ecoboost
Mustang GT
370Z
FRZ86
ND Miata

:iono: what else really fits the bill.
same.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

This is the Canadian deal of the week. 70k kms non-s 2006 for roughly a 1:1 poorvette swap. It's kind of :notbad: , but they start getting a whole lot more expensive with much else. Like an 09 is almost 1.5 to 2x the priceImageImageImage
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Tarspin wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:07 am This is the Canadian deal of the week. 70k kms non-s 2006 for roughly a 1:1 poorvette swap. It's kind of :notbad: , but they start getting a whole lot more expensive with much else. Like an 09 is almost 1.5 to 2x the priceImageImageImage
Failmatic, doe. Those things are worth much less than :manuel: s.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote:
Tarspin wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:07 am This is the Canadian deal of the week. 70k kms non-s 2006 for roughly a 1:1 poorvette swap. It's kind of :notbad: , but they start getting a whole lot more expensive with much else. Like an 09 is almost 1.5 to 2x the priceImageImageImage
It is a good transmission, so I'd consider it. The GoRf tranny really grew on me.

Another couple of musings for the price of a 09 Cayman is a well cared for TTS or TTRS. They are more practical and I'd take them for a spin at least before committing to anything. That orange looks :jimp: on thr TTSImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ChrisoftheNorth

Tarspin wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:38 am
Detroit wrote:
It is a good transmission, so I'd consider it. The GoRf tranny really grew on me.

Another couple of musings for the price of a 09 Cayman is a well cared for TTS or TTRS. They are more practical and I'd take them for a spin at least before committing to anything. That orange looks :jimp: on thr TTSImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Pre-09 Caymans weren't PDK, they were Tiptronic Slushbox failmatics. Nothing really great, unlike the R or these TT's.

Dat orange one, doe. :jimp:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Ahh got it. No PDK, no care then.

The crutch with the audis are probably depreciation. Maybe not the TTRS because not many available.
ChrisoftheNorth

Tarspin wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:55 am Ahh got it. No PDK, no care then.

The crutch with the audis are probably depreciation. Maybe not the TTRS because not many available.
Yea, but find one that's well depreciated, and maybe it's a decent buy?
dtraill27
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 Mazda 6

D Griff wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:10 am
dtraill27 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:35 am I'd cross the mustang ecoboost off your list. Great cruiser but I was underwhelmed with mine
:word:

I don't really think it will hang with the other stuff I'm thinking about, but I've always loved Mustangs and figured it was at least worth a test drive. :dillerman:
I liked the styling and loved the interior but not the engine. GT is worth a look for sure