Enter Dude's Latest Tire Kicking Sesh here

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Thedude
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Those who have been here since the gmk6 days know I love my R. She's now at a hair over 125k miles and paid off. Timing belt/water pump/carbon have all been done and she drives fine but I am now contemplating next move.

These are not exhaustive by any means but here is what is going through my mind:

Option 1: Keep R, added low miles mk7 GTI to stable (Reflex Silver 2dr MT with lighting and Fender Audio)
http://www.klicklewiscars.com/VehicleDe ... 3080501953

Option 2: Keep R, add low miles 2015-2016 Subaru Outback/Forester (premium package)

Option 3: Trade in mk6 R for a new or used mk7 or used S5

So... what words of wisdom do the fine folks of DFD have to offer?

Some pics of the old girl :D
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Car is foine. Do you have AWD/4WD needs with your skiing?
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Thedude
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:22 pm Car is foine. Do you have AWD/4WD needs with your skiing?
Thanks man. AWD definitely ideal, although a GTI with snow tires is a champ in the snow.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

What about "trade in Mk6R for new Mk7R?"
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Thedude
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:35 pm What about "trade in Mk6R for new Mk7R?"
Option 3 above. It's on the table :like:
Thedude
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:37 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:35 pm What about "trade in Mk6R for new Mk7R?"
IIRC payoff is probably still too high to trade value.
As stated in OP, it's paid off my man. Title in hand!
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Thedude wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:39 pm
Seems like the way to go vs. killing yourself post Subie purchase.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Buy a :truk:
Thedude
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:41 pm
Thedude wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:39 pm

In theory, yes, but... drawbacks are 4dr, no sunroof, non-opening center console, no spare tire, no color option I'm stoked about. If I'm paying $40k for a VW I want it the way I want it. Only way I see this happening is if there is a stupid good deal on a '15 or '16 CPO.

The GTI I linked in OP is basically exactly what I want... except for fwd but I can totally live with that if I keep the R.

Oh... and would I kill myself post-subie purchase?

Here is the line of thinking with the subie's... AWD +premium trim wouldn't be so bad in a '15 or '16 model. I'd still have the R for fun.
Thedude
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

troyguitar wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:42 pmBuy a :truk:
:lol:

Commute way too long for a truck, doe.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

I don't like any of the options. I'd say instead of getting a mk7 or mk7 R i'd keep rolling in the mK6 since it is pretty much the same car until the wheels fall off.

If you wanted something different I'd get an B8.5 S4
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Maybe get a lifted wrangler to the stable. The R looks good, unless it's been causing issues to :troywax: i'd keep it, and get a b8 or b8.5 S4, obviously if it isn't too expensive nor have shit ton of miles.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Clownshoobie
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck
Drives: Clownshoe

Looks-n-sounds like R is in great shape. Keep, don't trade (especially for something else used): it's the devil you know and love. When you add to the stable, let it be something completely different. Despite being the most geezerly DFDist, my first impulse was something less practical than a sensible German or Japanese hatchback. S2000. Older Cayman S. MX-5. If that's not your cup of tea, the :truk: idea ain't bad.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Thedude wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:46 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:41 pm

In theory, yes, but... drawbacks are 4dr, no sunroof, non-opening center console, no spare tire, no color option I'm stoked about. If I'm paying $40k for a VW I want it the way I want it. Only way I see this happening is if there is a stupid good deal on a '15 or '16 CPO.

The GTI I linked in OP is basically exactly what I want... except for fwd but I can totally live with that if I keep the R.

Oh... and would I kill myself post-subie purchase?

Here is the line of thinking with the subie's... AWD +premium trim wouldn't be so bad in a '15 or '16 model. I'd still have the R for fun.
How is a 4 door a drawback if you are contemplating hari kari with a Forrester?
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Thedude wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:12 pm Those who have been here since the gmk6 days know I love my R. She's now at a hair over 125k miles and paid off. Timing belt/water pump/carbon have all been done and she drives fine but I am now contemplating next move.

These are not exhaustive by any means but here is what is going through my mind:

Option 1: Keep R, added low miles mk7 GTI to stable (Reflex Silver 2dr MT with lighting and Fender Audio)
http://www.klicklewiscars.com/VehicleDe ... 3080501953

Option 2: Keep R, add low miles 2015-2016 Subaru Outback/Forester (premium package)

Option 3: Trade in mk6 R for a new or used mk7 or used S5

So... what words of wisdom do the fine folks of DFD have to offer?

Some pics of the old girl :D
I like option 1 and option 4
brain go brrrrrr
Thedude
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

max225 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:51 pm I don't like any of the options. I'd say instead of getting a mk7 or mk7 R i'd keep rolling in the mK6 since it is pretty much the same car until the wheels fall off.

mk7 is better in very noticeable ways tho... DCC, Fender Audio is way better than dynaudio, better mpg's (especially in the GTI).

What's wrong with s5 btw?
max225

Thedude wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:16 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:51 pm I don't like any of the options. I'd say instead of getting a mk7 or mk7 R i'd keep rolling in the mK6 since it is pretty much the same car until the wheels fall off.

mk7 is better in very noticeable ways tho... DCC, Fender Audio is way better than dynaudio, better mpg's (especially in the GTI).

S5
Weighs Same
Costs more
2 less doors
Less back seat space
:butwhy: go that route? makes no sense.

MK7... well maybe if you were to nitpick, but it would still be pretty much the same egg for the most part. It is not THAT different. Yes it is better but at least with the audi you'd gain a better interior+badge+something very different from what you already had for 6 years.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:18 pm
Thedude wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:16 pm

S5
Weighs Same
Costs more
2 less doors
Less back seat space

MK7... well maybe if you were to nitpick, but it would still be pretty much the same egg for the most part. It is not THAT different. Yes it is better but at least with the audi you'd gain a better interior+badge+something very different from what you already had for 6 years.
The new s5 has 4 doors now, but I think it's out of the question for him. Let's not forget, this is pretty much his 8th egg, so I don't think he gives a fuck, but I do agree with moving onto something that's legit different as far as an upgrade. I didn't feel huge difference when I switched from mk6, but definitely noticeable. like an iphone 5 to iphone 6.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
max225

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:34 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:18 pm

S5
Weighs Same
Costs more
2 less doors
Less back seat space

The new s5 has 4 doors now, but I think it's out of the question for him. Let's not forget, this is pretty much his 8th egg, so I don't think he gives a fuck, but I do agree with moving onto something that's legit different as far as an upgrade. I didn't feel huge difference when I switched from mk6, but definitely noticeable. like an iphone 5 to iphone 6.
S5 has 4 doors ? :wat: :wtf: You mean the "Sportback"
In either way he should go CPO used. A nice S4 is around 28-32k that's already 1/2 off from new and a lot of :aintcare: time left.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

dang, had no clue you have a car, much less a R.

Figured you just surfed a carpet around or got a limo ride.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Paid for car is good shit. Are you just bored with it?

Why not a :jeep: ?
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:36 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:34 pm

S5 has 4 doors ? :wat: :wtf: You mean the "Sportback"
In either way he should go CPO used. A nice S4 is around 28-32k that's already 1/2 off from new and a lot of :aintcare: time left.
They now do in Murica. For the new gen.
I'm with that idea of the CPO S4. Better cruiser too, especially for his commute.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

I wouldn't double up on the eggs.
I'd just keep the R if it works well. If it's giving you issues or you're concerned about it then trade it up. The S4/S5 comments are good, used ones have a nice savings over new and are great cars.

After years of AWD I think you're going to be disappointed if you go FWD in a MK7. If you do go new egg be sure to find one with the performance package for the magic diff.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

What I would do in your situation - and what I wish I'd done with my MK6 GTI once it was paid off - is start saving for what's next so I could pay cash.

The GTI only had 55k miles, but had a new clutch since it was replaced under the throwout bearing TSB, timing chain tensioner was done, and the valves were cleaned at 50k. But no, I bailed and turned $11,500 of equity into $3,000 in six months by leasing the STi. :wasteful:
max225

coogles wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:53 pm What I would do in your situation - and what I wish I'd done with my MK6 GTI once it was paid off - is start saving for what's next so I could pay cash.

The GTI only had 55k miles, but had a new clutch since it was replaced under the throwout bearing TSB, timing chain tensioner was done, and the valves were cleaned at 50k. But no, I bailed and turned $11,500 of equity into $3,000 in six months by leasing the STi. :wasteful:
Dat payment game doe :hubba: