Citroen DS, yay or nay? What say you, DFD?

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.

Should I go French?

:doit:
27%
:nope:
45%
:whocares:
27%

Total votes: 11
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

So, gents of DFD, I have a situation and I'm not sure what to do.

As many of you know, my father owns a 1968 Citroen DS. It's quite a neat car, hydraulic suspension, turning headlights, disc brakes, four speed :manuel: on the tree, Carolina blue with white top. The vehicle is in pretty good condition, he bought it restored for driving duty, not a show piece, but it's nice. Everything is fairly well sorted, I need more info on the specifics of the needs of the car still.

Basically, my dad is old and doesn't want to work on his car anymore. Also, my parents are likely getting a camper as a new "hobby" since their careers are kind of winding down. So this car will be going soon.

My dad has offered to give it to me free of charge to keep it in the family. This car is worth north of $10k as far as I know, and it's very cool and unique, but obviously it would be a big time commitment to keep it on the road, and I don't own a garage, so it would be living outside.

I'm kind of torn here...
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

D Griff wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:04 pm So, gents of DFD, I have a situation and I'm not sure what to do.

As many of you know, my father owns a 1968 Citroen DS. It's quite a neat car, hydraulic suspension, turning headlights, disc brakes, four speed :manuel: on the tree, Carolina blue with white top. The vehicle is in pretty good condition, he bought it restored for driving duty, not a show piece, but it's nice. Everything is fairly well sorted, I need more info on the specifics of the needs of the car still.

Basically, my dad is old and doesn't want to work on his car anymore. Also, my parents are likely getting a camper as a new "hobby" since their careers are kind of winding down. So this car will be going soon.

My dad has offered to give it to me free of charge to keep it in the family. This car is worth north of $10k as far as I know, and it's very cool and unique, but obviously it would be a big time commitment to keep it on the road, and I don't own a garage, so it would be living outside.

I'm kind of torn here...
Can you get a storage unit to keep the car in so it's not sitting in the elements all the time?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Apex wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:14 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:04 pm So, gents of DFD, I have a situation and I'm not sure what to do.

I'm kind of torn here...
Can you get a storage unit to keep the car in so it's not sitting in the elements all the time?
I'm sure I could, but :notsure: of the cost. The other thing about that is, if the car isn't at home, will it just end up sitting all the time? :iono:
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Classic cars need a lot of upkeep, I can't even being to think about how difficult parts are going to be. It's a real labor of love.

If you have a place to store it/work on it, go for it. If not, see if your dad will hold on to it.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

I'm kind of torn here...
I think you should sell it. You don't have the time or space to deal with this.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Dang. Would definitely be cool to own, but if you don't have the garage to work on it, it would definitely sit. "out of sight; out of mind" How would your dad feel about you selling it? I know you said he wants to give it to you to keep it in the family... I'd pose three different scenarios to him:
1) he houses it for you if he has space, and you wrench on it when you have time and then take it completely when you move to a place with a garage.
2) he gives it to you as a trial run and if after 2-3 months it really doesn't make sense to keep it, then he's okay with you selling it (maybe give some of the proceeds to him)
3) he just sells it now and gives you some of the cash since you would have sold it one day yourself

Option 3 will probably be frowned upon by most, but if he's willing to give you a 10k car, why not just give you 1k after he sells it for 10k?
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

if classic cars aint your thing, let it go to someone else that will keep it going.
brain go brrrrrr
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Yeah you need to be really into that shit to make it worth doing... and have a garage, or be willing to pay someone else to garage and maintain it for you.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

SAWCE wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:35 pm Dang. Would definitely be cool to own, but if you don't have the garage to work on it, it would definitely sit. "out of sight; out of mind" How would your dad feel about you selling it? I know you said he wants to give it to you to keep it in the family... I'd pose three different scenarios to him:
1) he houses it for you if he has space, and you wrench on it when you have time and then take it completely when you move to a place with a garage.
2) he gives it to you as a trial run and if after 2-3 months it really doesn't make sense to keep it, then he's okay with you selling it (maybe give some of the proceeds to him)
3) he just sells it now and gives you some of the cash since you would have sold it one day yourself

Option 3 will probably be frowned upon by most, but if he's willing to give you a 10k car, why not just give you 1k after he sells it for 10k?
I like option 1.
You're kinda screwed either way. If you take it and sell it, dad will regret it now and you will likely regret it later. If you take it and it just sits next to the :poorvette: on the driveway and always in the way, you'll regret it immediately. That's why I think :sawce: 's option one is the least bad. You own it, dad stores it until you can conveniently store it yourself.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Pics of DS :doe:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

It's just going to end up sitting in the garage unloved like my GF's dad's 2002. Sell it.
NeonJonny
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: XR600R, C5Z, BWS3 SRT4

Hydraulic suspension? :wat: I'm intrigued. I'd be too scared to own it. If it was a datsun, Nova, or a mustang, it would be easy. That sounds difficult to keep roadworthy, no?
Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

I'm kind of torn here...
Sell, take cash, buy manual Chevy-SS. There are over 700 avail and 13% are manuals. My god man save one, SAVE A MANUAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

NeonJonny wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:05 pm Hydraulic suspension? :wat: I'm intrigued. I'd be too scared to own it. If it was a datsun, Nova, or a mustang, it would be easy. That sounds difficult to keep roadworthy, no?
this is all i know about these.

neat, 5/7 would not own
brain go brrrrrr
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Just FYI, this isn't really a monetary gift, it's about the car, if I don't take it, he is selling it/taking the money.

Unfortunately, storing it at their house isn't really an option either, it's an hour away, so that would make working on it very unlikely. If he no longer owns the car, I know they'd like the garage space back too. The car isn't the least reliable thing, the drive train is very robust and solid. The thing with it is parts/service are something that would require a lot of research due to the fact that they're so rare here. The car also has the crazy hydraulic suspension system. It was truly an engineering marvel of the time and a very cool thing, I'll be sad to see it go, but I'm leaning towards that being the right choice.

If I had a garage and worked a regular 40-50 hour job, I'd likely accept, but I think it's just more than I have room for on my plate.

Pics with my shitty-ass Miata:
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Yeah man, it's such a dilemma, because it's definitely a unique piece of automotive history.
Honestly, I've never even seen one of these outside of a museum.

I should have bought that Miata.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

D Griff wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:11 am Just FYI, this isn't really a monetary gift, it's about the car, if I don't take it, he is selling it/taking the money.

Unfortunately, storing it at their house isn't really an option either, it's an hour away, so that would make working on it very unlikely. If he no longer owns the car, I know they'd like the garage space back too. The car isn't the least reliable thing, the drive train is very robust and solid. The thing with it is parts/service are something that would require a lot of research due to the fact that they're so rare here. The car also has the crazy hydraulic suspension system. It was truly an engineering marvel of the time and a very cool thing, I'll be sad to see it go, but I'm leaning towards that being the right choice.

If I had a garage and worked a regular 40-50 hour job, I'd likely accept, but I think it's just more than I have room for on my plate.

Pics with my shitty-ass Miata:
Dude its a vv neat thing. I had no idea your pops had one.

But again, let him sell it to someone that will care for it properly v falling into disrepair under you. If you are not up to the task...it would be vv hard for your pops to see it deteriorate with you. I've seen it happen before, it causes family friction....
brain go brrrrrr
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Melon wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:15 am Yeah man, it's such a dilemma, because it's definitely a unique piece of automotive history.
Honestly, I've never even seen one of these outside of a museum.

I should have bought that Miata.
:bruh:

Did you ever ride in that Miata or drive it? :gag: It was photogenic, didn't even look that good in real life. Then again, I sold for $875... kinda wish I'd have kept it as a project or something.

The other thing is... I think I want a project but I know it's a bad idea. The :jeep: desire started out as a project idea, but "project" spec :jeep: is still like $8k :disgust: .
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

D Griff wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:25 am :bruh:

Did you ever ride in that Miata or drive it? :gag: It was photogenic, didn't even look that good in real life. Then again, I sold for $875... kinda wish I'd have kept it as a project or
Lol, no, it was freezing when I saw it, and it was borked.
Still, cheep Miata is cheep.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Sorry Dad, there's no place to store it without it quickly deteriorating. Time to sell it IMO
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:14 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:31 pm It's just going to end up sitting in the garage unloved like my GF's dad's 2002. Sell it.
Tell me more.
Currently doesn't turn over, likely just a dead battery
Apparently the gearbox is fubared, might just be the clutch but he claims it's hard to shift
Was repainted popsicle orange many years ago with mediocre quality
Needs to be reupholstered
Has a few small dents that could be PDR'd
Been used as a wood shelf for the last 5 years and hasn't been started at all so likely needs the engine torn down and fully rebuilt with new gaskets and seals

Would be a good candidate for an engine swap with something like an E36 M42 4-cyl. Could be epic fun.

He's going to want wayyyy too much for it. @detroit was semi-interested in it, but honestly more than $2-4k for this car and it's not worth it. He had $9-12k in his mind when I discussed this with him last year.
Johnny_P

Tarspin wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:28 am Sorry Dad, there's no place to store it without it quickly deteriorating. Time to sell it IMO
:dat:
But if there's a sentimental attachment to the car I'd understand why you'd want to keep it. Still.... yeah I'd let it go.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

I mean it is such a cool car to keep, but having it essentially a garage queen, especially knowing that parts are almost impossible to find nowadays, I don't know. I would be 50/50
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.