:plac: Finds: Show us your automotive goldmines

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

I almost bought one of these like 10 years ago. The W8 maintenance scared me, doe.

Still an epic :unicorn: ride.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

What a nice custom and pro BMW machine. Roll into your local Cars n Mustang smash up with this....

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1982- ... 45i-turbo/
Davestr

W A N T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!------------->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1983-bmw-525i/
Davestr

Detroit wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:46 am
I almost bought one of these like 10 years ago. The W8 maintenance scared me, doe.

Whoa---never seen that....very cool
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

troyguitar wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:56 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:45 pm

I don't really care... but driving something truly exclusive like that that makes everyone's head turn would be pretty cool. Porsches all kind of look the same to the untrained eye and are a dime a dozen.
I see maybe one Porsche a month excluding early Cayennes.

That being said, I think a 4C would be an epic autox car and kind of want one. There's not much out there that will be better to autox than my MR2. The list is largely just 4C, Elise, and highly modded tiny cars. 4C/Elise would otherwise be mostly terrible to drive on public roads, I'd only take it to autox and back. Maybe a Cars&Coffee once a year if I'm bored. Cayman would be a great DD but worse for autox, I'd probably keep the MR2 if I got a Cayman.
Move to an area with a ton of traffic and unobtainable home prices and you can see Porsches daily.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:46 am

I love the concept of these but yea, don't trust dat W8. :yikes:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

Davestr wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:35 pm W A N T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!------------->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1983-bmw-525i/
:notbad:
Davestr

wap wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:53 pm
Davestr wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:35 pm W A N T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!------------->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1983-bmw-525i/
:notbad:
:like:
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

No pics, but this could be a neat :scrooge: :unicorn:

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal ... de1=MAZDA6

Orange :manuel: V6 hatch with low miles, cloth seats, and no sunroof - if the listing details are actually to be believed. I've always thought that these were cool cars.

wap

troyguitar wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:16 pm No pics, but this could be a neat :scrooge: :unicorn:

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal ... de1=MAZDA6

Orange :manuel: V6 hatch with low miles, cloth seats, and no sunroof - if the listing details are actually to be believed. I've always thought that these were cool cars.

:word:
I was always a fan of those 5 door 6's, too. Quite a :unicorn: in Murica.
ChrisoftheNorth

The Mazda6 hatches were friggen awesome. That orange was equally awesome. If this car actually exists...it would be a fantastic :scrooge: ride.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote:The Mazda6 hatches were friggen awesome. That orange was equally awesome. If this car actually exists...it would be a fantastic :scrooge: ride.
It's annoying that I have almost zero interest in any new cars (that I can afford), making anything a big :unicorn: hunt full of compromise and disappointment. 90% chance that this one has a shitty sunroof, sun-worn paint from south Florida lyfe, and corrosion from living on the oceanfront. New cars suck, old cars suck. :eeyore:
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

PSA: Fiesta ST's are cheap used

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal ... de1=FIESTA

2016 with 14k miles for $14k.

I don't know much about reliability or how well these cope with the city. Probably pretty poorly. Tiny and zippy doe, gotta keep the engine on boil just like my car. Could be fun if I wanted a MT car. I'd need to figure out a few things like extending the shift knob, I think raceseng makes shifter extensions though.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:31 am PSA: Fiesta ST's are cheap used

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal ... de1=FIESTA

2016 with 14k miles for $14k.

I don't know much about reliability or how well these cope with the city. Probably pretty poorly. Tiny and zippy doe, gotta keep the engine on boil just like my car. Could be fun if I wanted a MT car. I'd need to figure out a few things like extending the shift knob, I think raceseng makes shifter extensions though.
fiat 500 abarth
brain go brrrrrr
Johnny_P

Of course FRZ's are cheaper

No Abarth. I prefer my cars to not fall apart.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:38 am
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:37 am Of course FRZ's are cheaper

No Abarth. I prefer my cars to not fall apart.
Eh, Fiesta will probably fall apart too. It's a Furd.
Would be destroyed by potholes probably. The FiST didn't ride well at all, stiffer than my car.
Johnny_P

G37's are under $15k now. :notbad:

G35's are under $8k. :notbad:

Those both sound like a damn good deal, less than a new Honda Civic for a sorta-lux car that is very reliable and RWD with a big V6.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:50 am
[user not found] wrote:
Fledonfoot had issues with his Furd too. Granted, it was tuned - but it was tuned with a Ford-endorsed FRPP tune.

How about dem RS headgasket issues?

I really like the cars but don't trust the brand, sadly. Their dealer-level customer service is awful 90% of the time.
The head gasket thing is silly. Yes it's an issue. It has a fix. STI issues go unresolved for a decade and people are all :jizz: :aintcare: but Ford has one that they fix within a year and they are the devil.
:dat: but :aintcare: I don't want an RS. Don't want a FoST either. Or a FiST really despite them being a good buy IMO. I'd want something with a better build quality, interior, and ride than a tin can economobile.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:46 am
[user not found] wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:44 am Your Ford seems to be the exception with the recent ones, :doe:
Fledonfoot had issues with his Furd too. Granted, it was tuned - but it was tuned with a Ford-endorsed FRPP tune.

I really like the cars but don't trust the brand, sadly. Their dealer-level customer service is awful 90% of the time.
They have good cars and bad cars. Focus? Bad car. Fusion? Very good car. Escape? Bad car (at least they were). Edge? Good car.
Etc.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:50 am
[user not found] wrote:

The head gasket thing is silly. Yes it's an issue. It has a fix. STI issues go unresolved for a decade and people are all :jizz: :aintcare: but Ford has one that they fix within a year and they are the devil.
Is there a fix? I've heard they're just swapping head gaskets...

The thing is boosted within an inch of its life. There's gotta be long term durability concerns...
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:30 am
[user not found] wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:50 am The head gasket thing is silly. Yes it's an issue. It has a fix. STI issues go unresolved for a decade and people are all :jizz: :aintcare: but Ford has one that they fix within a year and they are the devil.

The thing is boosted within an inch of its life. There's gotta be long term durability concerns...
#betatesters

New motor design, has problems.
New magic rear diff, has problems with overheating.
New power transfer units / diffs / whatever you want to call them are leaking and need new seals, they allow the axles to wobble which requires replacement of those as well in certain cases.

Hell to the motherfucking no on this car. Wait until the motor/diff is available in more mainstream cars then you know it's been sorted out. Until then you're a beta tester which is unacceptable.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:59 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:30 am

#betatesters

New power transfer units / diffs / whatever you want to call them are leaking and need new seals, they allow the axles to wobble which requires replacement of those as well in certain cases.

Hell to the motherfucking no on this car. Wait until the motor/diff is available in more mainstream cars then you know it's been sorted out. Until then you're a beta tester which is unacceptable.
But it's OK for Tesla to do it?
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:02 am

#betatesters

I wouldn't buy one of those either. They're for rich people that own multiple cars. Really curious to see how the Model 3 turns out but even if it's decent I'd still wait 2 years before getting one so they iron out the bs. That goes for any car. My STI is 3rd model year into it's cycle, I wouldn't have bought a 2015 new.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

#betatesters

How dare you bring the golden god Musk into this conversation. :gtfo:

:trollface:
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:07 am
How dare you bring the golden god Musk into this conversation. :gtfo:

:trollface:
:dat: : :scoot: