:plac: Finds: Show us your automotive goldmines

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
NeonJonny
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: XR600R, C5Z, BWS3 SRT4

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:51 pm
Johnny_P wrote:Unless you're turning it into an AV Boys type hot rod drag racer, I don't see the appeal.
It would be a :fuckyeah: car for CAM/goodguys/optima/etc muscle car events. Add Griggs racing suspension, a destroked LS3, real seats and some big Rivals.

Compared to almost anything else you could run in that stuff, it would be smaller and lighter and cheaper.
Honestly.... Coming from a foxbody owner... if i could do it over and have all that money back id go 94-95 with an evil n/a setup such as a 351 stroker swap with a t56 and be done. of course have a 100 shot ready for the Fagbodies. With the fox you have to spend a couple of grand for a decent brake and suspension setup that the 94+ somewhat already have. Let's face it. Today's foxes have been beat to shit. I'm telling it how it is. It'll be less prevalent on the sn95s. also if anyone has driven them hard they flex more and may not be straight and have stress cracks. that is why one of the first bolt ons suggested is to get subframe connectors. Finally 94+ have a nicer interior especially leather versions.

You can always :crang: and get a 1979 car and have a nasty carb setup with the lazier smog laws. California though is still strict unless you are pre-1975.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:36 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:43 pm

Did you purposely try to find the worst possible car on sale at the moment ?
According to this forum these are great cars.

:disgust:
Name thee who hath spoken the great untruths!
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

NeonJonny wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:51 pm It would be a :fuckyeah: car for CAM/goodguys/optima/etc muscle car events. Add Griggs racing suspension, a destroked LS3, real seats and some big Rivals.

Compared to almost anything else you could run in that stuff, it would be smaller and lighter and cheaper.
Honestly.... Coming from a foxbody owner... if i could do it over and have all that money back id go 94-95 with an evil n/a setup such as a 351 stroker swap with a t56 and be done. of course have a 100 shot ready for the Fagbodies. With the fox you have to spend a couple of grand for a decent brake and suspension setup that the 94+ somewhat already have. Let's face it. Today's foxes have been beat to shit. I'm telling it how it is. It'll be less prevalent on the sn95s. also if anyone has driven them hard they flex more and may not be straight and have stress cracks. that is why one of the first bolt ons suggested is to get subframe connectors. Finally 94+ have a nicer interior especially leather versions.

You can always :crang: and get a 1979 car and have a nasty carb setup with the lazier smog laws. California though is still strict unless you are pre-1975.
The build would be the same with any 79-04 car really, ditch the entire suspension and interior and drivetrain... Might as well start with the smallest car (fox). Being narrower and lighter helps a lot.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

max225 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:52 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:36 pm

According to this forum these are great cars.

:disgust:
Troy, WAP, Detroit, [user not found], and I think a few others chimed in that they are good vehicles.
NeonJonny
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

interior too? holy fuck dude lol. Might as well build a tube chassis with a cage then... scoot the motor back into the firewall, fiberglass quarter panels. We're talking a mild build, right? If mustang owners had :mahtroy: money they would be in vettes.
Sounds like this is what you want..
https://vortechsuperchargers.wordpress. ... top-notch/ :like:
Last edited by NeonJonny on Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:09 pm

Troy, WAP, Detroit, [user not found], and I think a few others chimed in that they are good vehicles.
Сибирь!
max225

Why would anyone want to build a foxbody when you can just get a C4 or C5 that addresses nearly every shortcoming of the Fox chassis.
A solid build would require
An entire rear IRS out of a later year cobra
brakes all around and some chassis bracing to fix the noodle unibody that dates back to 1979
NeonJonny
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Exactly....I just thought a stock fox would be a fun cruiser... then troy chimed in you need 20k of parts just to make it livable.
troyguitar

NeonJonny wrote:interior too? holy fuck dude. Might as well build a tube chassis with a cage then... scoot the motor back into the firewall, fiberglass quarter panels. We're talking a mild build, right? If mustang owners had :mahtroy: money they would be in vettes.
Vettes and tube frame cars are generally in different classes. It's not that much work to swap the steering wheel, remove a lot of interior stuff, and put in real seats. If I really wanted to do it, I'd do the suspension/chassis and interior first then get it handling right before touching the drivetrain. 225 hp is enough to start, autox is 80% handling anyway.

You're running against 60s-80s non-corvette cars, the fox is actually one of the best/cheapest ways to start. Better but more expensive and full of all custom fabrication would be something like a Ford Cortina... Plus a lot of the "establishment" in that scene would hate on you for beating them in a little car with a little motor. A safer bet, but still needing mostly custom development, would be a Chevy Vega.
troyguitar

max225 wrote:Why would anyone want to build a foxbody when you can just get a C4 or C5 that addresses nearly every shortcoming of the Fox chassis.
A solid build would require
An entire rear IRS out of a later year cobra
brakes all around and some chassis bracing to fix the noodle unibody that dates back to 1979
C4/C5 is classed against C7s, vipers, tube frame cobras, skystice, etc. with trick custom traction control and ABS systems allowed. A $20-25k fox body could do well in its class, you need at least double that to do well in the :poorvette: classes.
NeonJonny
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Oh yea you're definitely right about that. Most guys ditch the steering wheel and those dreadful seats with the "california lean". My brother's has the rear set deleted, 1979 bumpers, mild weight reduction all bolt ons + cam, cobra brakes. About as far as you can take it before stepping up to IRS, really big power, and badass front suspension.
Troy: I wasn't sure where your intentions were... I didn't think you meant just to enjoy it on the street. Sorry if I came off as a dick. I'd be happy with a stock/mild boltons just for cruising.
Last edited by NeonJonny on Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
max225

I was just talking about making it fun for the street. No idea about auto x, you guys are experts at that.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:09 pm

My brother's boyfriend has a Vue of that era, it's terrible.
Transmission issues, and several electrical issues.
Last time I talked to him it was in the shop, on it's third transmission, under warranty too, so that tells you something.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:34 pm I was just talking about making it fun for the street. No idea about auto x, you guys are experts at that.
I ought to frame this.

Max admits he is not an expert on something.
troyguitar

max225 wrote:I was just talking about making it fun for the street. No idea about auto x, you guys are experts at that.
Yeah that is easy. Subframe connectors, real seats, some decent shocks/sways, tires, and a shorter final drive. Probably a stereo system if you actually drive it enough. 225 hp and :225: tarz is plenty.
troyguitar

Melon wrote:
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:09 pm Troy, WAP, Detroit, [user not found], and I think a few others chimed in that they are good vehicles.
Last time I talked to him it was in the shop, on it's third transmission, under warranty too, so that tells you something.
2009-10 is a different car, a rebadged Opel. You're probably talking about the earlier one with the shitty Honda transmission, right?
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:34 pm I was just talking about making it fun for the street. No idea about auto x, you guys are experts at that.
There is no fun on the street. If you're not first, you're last. Do you even :stig: ?
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:39 pm
Melon wrote:
2009-10 is a different car, a rebadged Opel. You're probably talking about the earlier one with the shitty Honda transmission, right?
:dat:

It was a surprisingly :notbad: appliance mobile because of where it was engineered.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:39 pm
Melon wrote:
No, it's not a gen 1, it's the same body style as the one posted above.
troyguitar

Melon wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:39 pm 2009-10 is a different car, a rebadged Opel. You're probably talking about the earlier one with the shitty Honda transmission, right?
No, it's not a gen 1, it's the same body style as the one posted above.
The first gen sucks, possible exception is the FWD 4 cylinder with :manuel: but even then you're better off getting a Vibe.
Johnny_P

Nobody wants a purple bloat egg.

Back on topic.

https://southjersey.craigslist.org/mcy/ ... 09338.html

Really nice looking WR250R with some sensible mods to get rid of the :thanksobama: emissions shit, and a muffler. :notbad: want.
troyguitar

max225 wrote:I was just talking about making it fun for the street. No idea about auto x, you guys are experts at that.
This actually is why I thought really hard about getting the green 99 Cobra instead of the MR2. I thought that would be a good compromise and be fun for street+autox without being too impractical or expensive. Ultimately I just figured that I'd get tired of being uncompetitive, but I still think it would be a lot of fun in a DD with a few choice mods.
NeonJonny
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:46 pm Nobody wants a purple bloat egg.

Back on topic.

Really nice looking WR250R with some sensible mods to get rid of the :thanksobama: emissions shit, and a muffler. :notbad: want.
YES
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:48 pm
This actually is why I thought really hard about getting the green 99 Cobra instead of the MR2. I thought that would be a good compromise and be fun for street+autox without being too impractical or expensive. Ultimately I just figured that I'd get tired of being uncompetitive, but I still think it would be a lot of fun in a DD with a few choice mods.
I had a shot at buying a green 1997 Cobra. I bought a Focus instead :millennial: because it was a few grand cheaper.

:rage:
Johnny_P

NeonJonny wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:48 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:46 pm Nobody wants a purple bloat egg.

Back on topic.

YES
I think it would be fun to brap through the city on this thing. I'd probably die though.