Ask any racer, any real racer...

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '04 R32, '90 Miata, '17 CB300F

3:00 lap from Wednesday night. First full lap in my last session and my quickest of the evening. Audio is pretty meh because GoPro.
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

This one's for you :melon:

*LS1 intensifies*
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

stripethree wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:43 am This one's for you :melon:

*LS1 intensifies*
:dat:

The intensification is real.

#bluesportscarowners
#teamtinytrailer
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

stripethree wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:20 am

3:00 lap from Wednesday night. First full lap in my last session and my quickest of the evening. Audio is pretty meh because GoPro.
Have you tried one of these? https://www.amazon.com/Session-Windscre ... nd+breaker

I've got one on my 5 and it works pretty well.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Video of close call incident from track day last weekend. From my write-up in half a car thread:
4th session was coming along fine until I got stuck behind a couple of slower riders. I'm a pretty patient passer as I know that I can around most bikes on corner exit, the straights, or on the brakes depending on the situation. I tend not to pass people mid-corner unless I'm confident in their ability to hold a line, and that I can get around them quickly. I'm biding my time for a couple of corners, waiting for a comfortable place to pass, when a guy on a 1098 bombs me on the inside just as I'm approaching the apex of T6 (a fairly highspeed, no brakes corner). We couldn't have been more than a few inches apart before I stood my bike up and nearly ran off course. Spooked and pissed, I parked it for the session, unfortunately, I wasn't able to find the guy that did it. Really not a safe place to pass anyone on a track day, especially considering that there's a braking zone into the slowest corner on the track just ahead.

Incident occurs near the 50 second mark:

As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

4zilch wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:02 pm Have you tried one of these? https://www.amazon.com/Session-Windscre ... nd+breaker

I've got one on my 5 and it works pretty well.
I haven't. I'll look some more since the Amazon seller has to put them on the slow boat from China. I have been considering an external mic setup, but I'd have to sync it post-event.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

I would LOVE to drive COTA. :jelly:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

4zilch wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:17 pm Video of close call incident from track day last weekend. From my write-up in half a car thread:
4th session was coming along fine until I got stuck behind a couple of slower riders. I'm a pretty patient passer as I know that I can around most bikes on corner exit, the straights, or on the brakes depending on the situation. I tend not to pass people mid-corner unless I'm confident in their ability to hold a line, and that I can get around them quickly. I'm biding my time for a couple of corners, waiting for a comfortable place to pass, when a guy on a 1098 bombs me on the inside just as I'm approaching the apex of T6 (a fairly highspeed, no brakes corner). We couldn't have been more than a few inches apart before I stood my bike up and nearly ran off course. Spooked and pissed, I parked it for the session, unfortunately, I wasn't able to find the guy that did it. Really not a safe place to pass anyone on a track day, especially considering that there's a braking zone into the slowest corner on the track just ahead.

That's pretty bad. A few more split seconds and you would of been in the grass. How the hell you gonna pass someone on the inside line like that? I'd have told some people that and showed them. Was this an advanced group? I know the novice have very strict rules on that shit.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

4zilch wrote:Video of close call incident from track day last weekend. From my write-up in half a car thread:

Wow. What in the world makes somebody think it's okay to pass in that situation? My blood would have been beyond boiling after that.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

4zilch wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:17 pm Video of close call incident from track day last weekend. From my write-up in half a car thread:

Not OK in a track day environment. I'd have had some words. I've had words for less in cars.
brain go brrrrrr
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Acid666 wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:26 pm

That's pretty bad. A few more split seconds and you would of been in the grass. How the hell you gonna pass someone on the inside line like that? I'd have told some people that and showed them. Was this an advanced group? I know the novice have very strict rules on that shit.
Yeah I didn't realize how close I was to the grass until I watched the video :aintcare: This was in intermediate. Riders meeting set a 'no passing in corners' rule for the I group, generally it's allowed with a 6' buffer zone but the rule varies by org, day, and riders.

The video has politely been shared with the organizers. This guy was part of the Indy Ducati owners club :rolleyes: The majority seemed to be fine riders, but there were a few dicks like this guy that didn't like being outran by a KTM (or anything else for that matter).
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

coogles wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:54 pm
4zilch wrote:Video of close call incident from track day last weekend. From my write-up in half a car thread:

Wow. What in the world makes somebody think it's okay to pass in that situation? My blood would have been beyond boiling after that.

Mine was, which is why I headed to the pits immediately after to cool off. My initial reaction was to chase him down and stuff him going into T1.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:47 pm

Not OK in a track day environment. I'd have had some words. I've had words for less in cars.
:dat: if it were a race I'd have no problem with his move. I wasn't aggressive in getting around slower traffic and left the door open. That pass should've been made on the outside to be reasonably safe.

I did kind shake my head at watching him try to pass them on the entrance 7 and again in 8. My plan was to pass at least one of them exiting T7 (we weren't carrying enough speed to beat them on the brakes into the corner) and the other on the entrance to T9 if needed. If all else failed, we would have both motored by them on the front stretch.
Devilchrono
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: 22’ Chevy Blazer

4zilch wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:11 am
coogles wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:54 pm Wow. What in the world makes somebody think it's okay to pass in that situation? My blood would have been beyond boiling after that.

Mine was, which is why I headed to the pits immediately after to cool off. My initial reaction was to chase him down and stuff him going into T1.
I wouldn't normally condone that type of behavior, but he came really close to causing a similar situation to you and it would've only been fair at that point. However, you did the right (and right) thing by just taking it to the pits to cool off and sharing the video with the even organizers.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Devilchrono wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:11 am
4zilch wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:11 am

I wouldn't normally condone that type of behavior, but he came really close to causing a similar situation to you and it would've only been fair at that point. However, you did the right (and right) thing by just taking it to the pits to cool off and sharing the video with the even organizers.
:dat:

Any retaliation would've worked against me anyways, and riding with the red mist is a recipe for getting hurt. I'm sure I'll stumble across the guy anyways. It's not often you see a guy running a replica 996 (not a 1098 as mentioned earlier) wearing Carl Fogarty replica leathers. That in and of itself demonstrates his doucheness.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Soooooo looks like SCCA :mahtroy: Class is a real thing now for autocross.

https://d39a3h63xew422.cloudfront.net/w ... 00x563.jpg

Buy FRZ, add stuff from tire rack, and you're in a new exclusive class. :notbad: way to level the field.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

This weekend i confirmed that the chicken strips on the grom tires are hard-parts limited.

The event organiser said i looked real good out there, comfort level was definitely up, spent some time getting body more off the bike in a controlled environment.

All in all it was a great day at the track.
brain go brrrrrr
Acid666

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:50 pm Soooooo looks like SCCA :mahtroy: Class is a real thing now for autocross.

Buy FRZ, add stuff from tire rack, and you're in a new exclusive class. :notbad: way to level the field.
Were people pissed at this car because of how they initially classed it? I don't really know anyone personally with one that's competitive so I don't know a ton about it, but the jest, I think, is that it was a class killer and people were getting pissed at it because it was kind of OP for where they initially put it? I think I heard a guy I worked a corner bitching about them killing the class he was in last year but I was too busy watching cones to really dive into the convo him and another guy were having.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:51 am This weekend i confirmed that the chicken strips on the grom tires are hard-parts limited.

The event organiser said i looked real good out there, comfort level was definitely up, spent some time getting body more off the bike in a controlled environment.

All in all it was a great day at the track.
Time for rearsets. :stig:
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

mmmmm tendies
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:50 pm Soooooo looks like SCCA :mahtroy: Class is a real thing now for autocross.

First new class in a long time that I hope fails, hard. I think it's a slippery slope to a strong desire for more 'spec' classes for any mildly popular car. Here's the press release and more details. Spec tire TBA.
Acid666

stripethree wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:36 am

First new class in a long time that I hope fails, hard. I think it's a slippery slope to a strong desire for more 'spec' classes for any mildly popular car. Here's the press release and more details. Spec tire TBA.
Can anyone explain the Spec classes to me? I think I understand, but not fully. Is it just a full set of specific mods you can do so it's nearly a 100% driver's race class against that individual model?
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Acid666 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:42 am Can anyone explain the Spec classes to me? I think I understand, but not fully. Is it just a full set of specific mods you can do so it's nearly a 100% driver's race class against that individual model?
Yes, that's the intent, that it is purely a driver competition. It attempts to take setup out of the equation. This is the only spec class in SCCA autocross, thus far.
Acid666

stripethree wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:48 am
Acid666 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:42 am Can anyone explain the Spec classes to me? I think I understand, but not fully. Is it just a full set of specific mods you can do so it's nearly a 100% driver's race class against that individual model?
Yes, that's the intent, that it is purely a driver competition. It attempts to take setup out of the equation. This is the only spec class in SCCA autocross, thus far.
Isn't there a Miata one? The last shop I had swap the tires on the front of my truck does setups, and said they specialize in Spec Miata setups. I thought there was an SM or something in SCCA. I'll have to look in a minute when I get free.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Acid666 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:55 am
stripethree wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:48 am

Isn't there a Miata one? The last shop I had swap the tires on the front of my truck does setups, and said they specialize in Spec Miata setups. I thought there was an SM or something in SCCA. I'll have to look in a minute when I get free.
That's club racing, not auto-x.