Ask any racer, any real racer...

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

just fyi when you really start spending alot of time on throttle on those turbo miate the turbo manifold bolts can stretch.

you need a well balanced car and sticky tires to get there usually, but still....fyi
brain go brrrrrr
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '04 R32, '90 Miata, '17 CB300F

Finding any kind of info on AWD Mk4 suspension setups for rallyx is a crap shoot. All the TT guys seems to run super soft springs and leave bars connected. I am running what is considered to be a punishing set up - 700# front, 1100# rear - but it does well. Cleans up beating higher classed cars locally and gave rally tired (I'm on snows) Subies a run for their money at a National event.

But she needs shocks. The 7 year old KW are toast. I want to go back to something without camber plates for slightly better NVH (and, I don't even adjust 'em for rallyx anyway) and need to stay with coilovers so my wheels fit. Sadly the dudes I have gone to autox shit in the past aren't sure they can build me something.

Thinking I'll either take my chances with Koni coils, or maybe get a set of KQ V3s. Hmmm.
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Also, don't point me to USRT. I had one experience with them that may have soured me on them, period. I called inquiring about a Peloquin rear LSD for the Mk4 and dude was an asshole over the phone and laughed at my questions. Fuck you, I'll keep my money.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

stripethree wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:27 pm Finding any kind of info on AWD Mk4 suspension setups for rallyx is a crap shoot. All the TT guys seems to run super soft springs and leave bars connected. I am running what is considered to be a punishing set up - 700# front, 1100# rear - but it does well. Cleans up beating higher classed cars locally and gave rally tired (I'm on snows) Subies a run for their money at a National event.

But she needs shocks. The 7 year old KW are toast. I want to go back to something without camber plates for slightly better NVH (and, I don't even adjust 'em for rallyx anyway) and need to stay with coilovers so my wheels fit. Sadly the dudes I have gone to autox shit in the past aren't sure they can build me something.

Thinking I'll either take my chances with Koni coils, or maybe get a set of KQ V3s. Hmmm.
I would think on the dirt you would want a softer damper?
brain go brrrrrr
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:32 pm I would think on the dirt you would want a softer damper?
Yes. That said, the set up I have has worked really well with the sway bars disconnected; forgot to mention that last bit.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Are your current dampers not rebuildable? On the mid-range front, I've heard good things about these guys - you can probably get custom spring rates, valving, etc.

http://fealsuspensionstore.com/product/ ... wagen-r32/

I don't really know of any coilovers without camber plates :doe:
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

troyguitar wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:47 pm Are your current dampers not rebuildable? On the mid-range front, I've heard good things about these guys - you can probably get custom spring rates, valving, etc.

http://fealsuspensionstore.com/product/ ... wagen-r32/

I don't really know of any coilovers without camber plates :doe:
The current setup is possibly rebuildable but that would involve having the car on jack stands in the garage for an unknown period of time during which the S2K would live outside since I have nothing to throw on the VW in the meantime.

There are definitely options w/out camber plates for the Mk4 R: H&R RSS, Bilsteins, Koni, KW come to mind.
Barnes93cb
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Turbro Go Kart/ Yamaha Bolt

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:34 pm just fyi when you really start spending alot of time on throttle on those turbo miate the turbo manifold bolts can stretch.

you need a well balanced car and sticky tires to get there usually, but still....fyi
Ordering new bolts when I get back from the deployment. Brake pads, fuilds, rotors will also be ordered.

Ive alreay got falken azenis and Flyin miata coilovers so I should be at a decent starting point.

Now just the driver mod which will come with instruction and seat time.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Barnes93cb wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:45 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:34 pm just fyi when you really start spending alot of time on throttle on those turbo miate the turbo manifold bolts can stretch.

Ordering new bolts when I get back from the deployment. Brake pads, fuilds, rotors will also be ordered.

Ive alreay got falken azenis and Flyin miata coilovers so I should be at a decent starting point.

if going though the trouble to change them....
http://www.trackspeedengineering.com/tr ... d-kit.html
Or Flyin miata has some as well.
brain go brrrrrr
Barnes93cb
Drives: Turbro Go Kart/ Yamaha Bolt

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:13 am
Barnes93cb wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:45 am

if going though the trouble to change them....
http://www.trackspeedengineering.com/tr ... d-kit.html
Or Flyin miata has some as well.
I was planning to purchase the FM bolts.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

First local car track day is in about 6 weeks. :stig:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

4zilch wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:50 pm First local car track day is in about 6 weeks. :stig:
:fuckyeah:

Update: will probably do PSS9s on the R. Monotube, reasonably priced, and can get the ride height I'd like.

I contacted Feal and they recommended against using any of their current lineup for rallyx, even with custom valving. They discontinued the setup that was rallyx friendly.

Annual bonus should hit the bank account tomorrow I've been told, guess where it's going. :waxer:
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

stripethree wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:59 pm
4zilch wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:50 pm First local car track day is in about 6 weeks. :stig:
:fuckyeah:

Update: will probably do PSS9s on the R. Monotube, reasonably priced, and can get the ride height I'd like.

I contacted Feal and they recommended against using any of their current lineup for rallyx, even with custom valving. They discontinued the setup that was rallyx friendly.

Annual bonus should hit the bank account tomorrow I've been told, guess where it's going. :waxer:
Our bonus shows up on 3/15 :troywax:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Too much rain this week, season opener for rallyx pushed to next week. Jefé is sad.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

I finally sat down and figured out my tentative 2018 autox schedule: :whocares:

3/30-31 Charlotte, NC Match Tour
4/28-29 Pittsburgh, PA Match Tour
5/27-28 Lincoln, NE Spring Nationals
7/5-8 Bristol, TN Match+Champ Tours
7/28-29 Toledo, OH Champ Tour
9/4-7 Lincoln, NE Solo Nationals

A few things might change if I try to run ProSolo too, but it's already a lot of events without doing that... adding another 3 weekends is probably :fullretard:
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

I need to get on the ball and do the FiST and Honduh suspension. And figure out if I’m keeping the KTM or not.
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

I got my ass handed to me yesterday in rallycross but still had a good time. First event since last summer.

Lady friend got this video that I have watched about 50 times because :megusta: :megusta:

dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

solo rained out today.

:rage:
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Rained out for everyone or just CP cars?
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

stripethree wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:46 pm Rained out for everyone or just CP cars?
It was a wet course. I wasnt trailering an hour to go get rained on in a parking lot on slicks. in an open cockpit car.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

cross posting this here. :dubshow: and :fax: did some lapping

It was a merry chase indeed

brain go brrrrrr
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Finally got to my first track day of the year with a group of about 60 riders at a private event 3-day at held annually at Grattan Raceway in MI.

I was as comfortable as I’ve ever been KTM. I ran in the intermediate group and came up to speed quickly. By mid-way through the first day, I getting my knee down in places that I had never been able to in prior trips. The bike felt great and I was able to explore corner entry speed and rear tire grip. By the end of the day, I was easily the quickest in the group. Day two was more of the same and as tire wear became an issue, I began to enjoy letting the rear spin up on corner exit.. several other riders noted how much fun I appeared to be having. The experience has me second guessing selling the KTM.

The Honda was also a lot of fun, though I was running into carb issues while at the track. I’m fairly certain main jet is too big and would load up the engine by the end of the 5/8+ Mile straight. When I’d close the throttle to begin braking into turn 1, the bike would begin bogging and cutting out, I even had the bike momentarily stall while leaned over nearly causing me to low-side. After that I didn’t get it out much for fear of crashing in front of someone and ruining both of our days.

When the bike did run well it was a lot of fun. Passing everyone in the corners, getting passed back on the straights, then riding around the outside of everyone in turn 1.

Next trackday is in 2 weeks at Putnam.

ImageImageImageImage
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

:jelly:

Looks like an awesome time!
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Apex wrote::jelly:

Looks like an awesome time!
Yeah, it was a great time. It’s nice knowing the people for the additional level of trust on the track.

I forgot to mentioned I had the opportunity to ride an Aprilia RSV4 RF on carbon fiber wheels. Holy shit was this thing fast, and the sound :jizz:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

So did you win the race?